Author Topic: James LaBrie Solo  (Read 408783 times)

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
Re: James LaBrie: Impermanent Resonance
« Reply #2765 on: September 28, 2019, 02:24:27 PM »
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2766 on: September 28, 2019, 02:29:46 PM »
You must log in to continue.

I don't have an account goddamn it.

Never mind, found something on my own.

"Matt [Guillory] and I just started speaking. We thought over a year and a half ago [that] we were going to start writing material for the follow-up to Impermanent Resonance. Matt's a very busy guy — he lives out in California [and] I'm up in Canada, and the schedules just didn't dictate us getting together and starting to put the material together. But we did speak a few weeks ago, so we're hoping that we can start to finally put some music together. Hopefully there will be something, maybe, I'm thinking late 2020."

James' solo albums are one of the few automatic instant buys for me these days. Bring it on James and Matt!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #2767 on: September 28, 2019, 02:32:58 PM »
This is not the quote I linked.

Here it is:

Matt Guillory: James just called me from the road we had a great conversation about making the next record. I actually started writing for it a couple of months back and have a few songs. Should be fun. Coincidentally, Static Impulse was released this day 9 years ago. Happy Saturday everybody.
SeRoX is right!
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2768 on: September 28, 2019, 07:57:56 PM »
I really do like JLB's solo music, I'm excited for what they may have in store but I do still feel a bit sour for him cancelling ProgPower.  SOA saved the day and all, but his handling of it just rubs me the wrong way.  Makes me a bit less excited than I otherwise would be.  Like I said, I am still excited overall though and do look forward to checking out what they have next year.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #2769 on: September 28, 2019, 11:41:28 PM »
Jesus, has it really been 9 years since Static Impulse? Times flies. I really loved that album, it came out in a time of transition for me, changing high schools and having to meet new people and stuff (sounds melodramatic, I know, but at the time it was nerve-wracking). I just remember it came out about 4 weeks in and every day after school, I looked forward to getting back in my car and listening to it on the drive home--the leaves were changing, it was just a really pretty time of year and the music kinda matched the leaves dying and such...

Anyways, I loved that album, Impermanent Resonance was okay. Really looking forward to what they come out with next!
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2770 on: September 29, 2019, 12:02:02 AM »
I really do like JLB's solo music, I'm excited for what they may have in store but I do still feel a bit sour for him cancelling ProgPower.  SOA saved the day and all, but his handling of it just rubs me the wrong way.  Makes me a bit less excited than I otherwise would be.  Like I said, I am still excited overall though and do look forward to checking out what they have next year.

So, you're saying it was him whom cancelled? Can't blame him for the odd schedule. As I now feel he never knew when DT would begin recording.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2771 on: September 29, 2019, 03:56:01 AM »
Jesus, has it really been 9 years since Static Impulse? Times flies. I really loved that album, it came out in a time of transition for me, changing high schools and having to meet new people and stuff (sounds melodramatic, I know, but at the time it was nerve-wracking). I just remember it came out about 4 weeks in and every day after school, I looked forward to getting back in my car and listening to it on the drive home--the leaves were changing, it was just a really pretty time of year and the music kinda matched the leaves dying and such...

Anyways, I loved that album, Impermanent Resonance was okay. Really looking forward to what they come out with next!

That's a cool story mate and I found that really interesting as my situation with that album is very similar.  Was early on in my career and I had not long stepped up into a supervisory position.  The season was changing and going into my first real busy period.  I was really under the pump and had this in the car for the longest time.  Same thing, getting into the car and cranking it really helped me at the time and stressed me out after work.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2772 on: September 29, 2019, 04:49:44 AM »

So, you're saying it was him whom cancelled? Can't blame him for the odd schedule. As I now feel he never knew when DT would begin recording.

The "officially" story was a false front.  The (rumored) story is that he cancelled because the fee wasn't big enough for the band.  The whole DT-recording explanation made zero sense, even at the time. 
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2773 on: September 29, 2019, 05:39:00 AM »
Chad, did you dig that up while you were down there?

So they were still negotiating even before they announced they were playing? You'd think before an official lineup was announced, the fees would be agreed upon, no?

Not questioning what you heard, just trying to straighten it out in my mind.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2774 on: September 29, 2019, 05:40:06 AM »
Oh, and Static Impulse never really did it for me. I prefer the Muzzmuzzler stuff. Maybe I should give it a another shot, especially now that I am far more tolerant of harsh vocals.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2775 on: September 29, 2019, 05:43:59 AM »
Oh, and Static Impulse never really did it for me. I prefer the Muzzmuzzler stuff. Maybe I should give it a another shot, especially now that I am far more tolerant of harsh vocals.

Absolutely.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2776 on: September 29, 2019, 05:58:40 AM »
I heard it from a source close to the higher-ups during last year's fest. James reportedly bowed out at the last minute because he/his manager/whoever thought he wasn't being paid enough money, so close to the fest he ends up bowing out. And apparently in that same email was a request to explain the cancellation to the fans as "James having to work on the new DT album" which is also a shitty excuse because he made the commitment to the fest a year and a half in advance - AND he spilled the beans like 6 months before the proper announcement which is muy mal etiquette. I still think it's lame that he canned it
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2777 on: September 29, 2019, 07:17:53 AM »
I feel like if he was getting paid the amount he agreed to then he should stick to his commitments. Obviously I don't know the reason he bowed out but if that's the case that's shitty.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2778 on: September 29, 2019, 08:01:29 AM »
Yea, there was definitely something off with the explanation he/they gave for not doing the festival. And they made it sound like it was DT’s fault, and Bosk had to clarify that DT had nothing to do with it.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2779 on: September 29, 2019, 09:00:33 AM »
Neither explanation makes sense to me.  I have a feeling there's stuff none of us knows about.  I don't know that engaging in these rumors is really the best idea.  But since it's out there, I feel doubtful of the PP side because of another incident. 

Years ago when Khan left Kamelot, there was an official generic statement from PP, since Kamelot was to perform that year.  But then people involved with PP kind of dragged Khan's name through the mud.  He pulled this at the last minute, he left them in the lurch, he screwed the festival over, he's just not a good guy, etc.  I saw Thomas Youngblood not long after, and he, who probably had as much reason as anyone to be upset at Khan (and he was upset), said it didn't go down like that at all.  He said he didn't want to go into the specifics, but he was uncomfortable with those rumors going around because they just weren't true. He said he'd heard from another band that didn't play that there were some issues behind the scenes there as well.

So... Who knows exactly what's true.  Maybe it happened just like the rumors and James just decided out of the blue that he needed more money months after he agreed to the original fee.  Maybe it really was because of DT and the ProgPower people got pissed and started this rumor out of spite.  I think it's more likely that neither are exactly true.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2780 on: September 29, 2019, 09:25:42 AM »
Not here to defend James but:
-The DT machine usually has stuff pre-planned things going with a few months to a year in advance...touring, new album writing/recording, promo cycle, etc. I don’t remember what was going on at that time.
-The JLB band has two over seas members (Marco and Peter). The airfare and visas for those two guys alone are expensive. Maybe James miscalculated the money he was going to get. Not sure if PP pays for visas and/or airfare but for a one-time gig, money would have been short. However, if he had committed, he should have gone fwd with the show.
-I have heard similar comments from PP people regarding Jorn. I can’t verify how much truth are into those comments.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2781 on: September 29, 2019, 09:32:53 AM »
Actually speaking of Jorn, they just addressed that when someone commented on him. I think they said they haven't asked him in recent years, but he's not blacklisted or shunned whatsoever.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2782 on: September 29, 2019, 10:11:48 AM »
My initial comment was not directed at any rumors or the official statement, just the fact he cancelled for reasons that seem to be in their control.  It felt like a punch to the gut at the time.  Like other issues with PP usually are from Visas.  If that were the case, I wouldn't feel so negative towards the band because things like that are above their control.   The whole thing rubbed me off the wrong way, specifically from JLB's end of it.  Like I said, I'll check out the album, I really love his solo stuff.  It's just hard to be excited for a band that doesn't share that excitement towards their fans. 

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2783 on: September 29, 2019, 10:12:18 AM »
Maybe the money thing is true but only a half truth.

Originally DT said they were taking a large part of the year off but then ended up doing the I&W&B tour and went into the studio for DoT. Maybe James booked PP hoping to put together a small solo tour. I know the original reasoning from PP was that the DT schedule interfered and then James said, "no it's not true, it is entirely my responsibility" or whatever but he was in the studio with DT right around the time of the show.

So if I was a bettering man, I'd say it was DT but they told a little white lie to try to escape some drama. He had probably hoped to book a solo tour, the album interfered, and it wasn't financially feasible to just do one show UNLESS PP could fork over some more money so they didn't wind up in the hole. PP said they couldn't, fair, and James said he couldn't, also fair.

Just my theory.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2784 on: September 29, 2019, 10:32:07 AM »
I wouldn't say "it's also fair" for JLB to cancel, and adding a little white lie to it doesn't make it better, just worse IMO. 

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2785 on: September 29, 2019, 11:03:32 AM »
I wouldn't say "it's also fair" for JLB to cancel, and adding a little white lie to it doesn't make it better, just worse IMO.

If he was hoping to do a small tour to cover costs and hopefully turn a small profit, but his main employer decides "We gotta get to work" then he's between a rock and hard place. I say it's "fair" because things just didn't work out. It's not like it would have been malicious.

i just have a tough time thinking he canceled because he one day thought, "Ya know, I'm worth soooo much more than what you offered me and I agreed to." That just doesn't add up.

I also got kind of ripped off when James had a tour planned around 2010 and canceled. The ticketing company only gave partial refunds, and after examining, it did say that in the fine print So I was out $15 bucks (at a time when I was low on cash) but I didn't really blame James and the band/management.

Definitely blamed the ticketing company.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2786 on: September 29, 2019, 02:59:43 PM »
I don't disagree with that, but at the end of the day, he agreed to something and pulled out.  He could have made it work but didn't think it made sense anymore, maybe for monetary reasons maybe not, but regardless, he had agreed and had fans excited for this.  That doesn't make it fair for him to cancel unless it's beyond his control and none of this sounded like it was.  Yea, maybe not being able to make a full tour out of it meant doing that one show made no financial sense.... but you agreed.  You got people excited.  You sold tickets.  Show up. 

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2787 on: September 29, 2019, 03:06:37 PM »
My buddy's band was supposed to open for him at one of the 2010 shows. Had the only backstage pass of theirs that wasn't being used by a band member. Worked my ass off trying to help sell tickets. Was so disappointed when it was canceled.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2788 on: September 29, 2019, 03:20:19 PM »
Perhaps there were some unexpected costs that popped up? I'd hate to think there was a fee agreed upon which then got reneged on.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #2789 on: September 30, 2019, 05:54:34 AM »
Neither explanation makes sense to me.  I have a feeling there's stuff none of us knows about.  I don't know that engaging in these rumors is really the best idea.  But since it's out there, I feel doubtful of the PP side because of another incident. 

Years ago when Khan left Kamelot, there was an official generic statement from PP, since Kamelot was to perform that year.  But then people involved with PP kind of dragged Khan's name through the mud.  He pulled this at the last minute, he left them in the lurch, he screwed the festival over, he's just not a good guy, etc.  I saw Thomas Youngblood not long after, and he, who probably had as much reason as anyone to be upset at Khan (and he was upset), said it didn't go down like that at all.  He said he didn't want to go into the specifics, but he was uncomfortable with those rumors going around because they just weren't true. He said he'd heard from another band that didn't play that there were some issues behind the scenes there as well.

So... Who knows exactly what's true.  Maybe it happened just like the rumors and James just decided out of the blue that he needed more money months after he agreed to the original fee.  Maybe it really was because of DT and the ProgPower people got pissed and started this rumor out of spite.  I think it's more likely that neither are exactly true.
I'm thinking along these lines too. It's possible that James also kinda misunderstood the vibe of the festival and how/why passionate people buy tickets last minute because they want to see one special band on the lineup. Looking at it with unfamiliar eyes, it seems that bands shuffle in and out of that lineup and no one thinks it's a big deal. But because cancellations happen because of visa issues and other unforeseen circumstances, it's kinda crappy to cancel because of "regular reasons" like money or not being able to build a tour around it or whatever. Seeing how he leaked his performance so far in advance, it would seem he didn't really know what he was getting into!

I always got the vibe from James & co that touring is really low on the priority list. Obviously, they would love to tour, but this desire hasn't resulted in any shows since 2005ish. It's very difficult for the rest of the band to shell out for USA visas or James to take time off his busy schedule to perform in clubs in Europe (and probably lose money). The only other option for them, as it is for other bands in this position, is special interest one-off festival dates on prog festivals - and this is the biggest USA festival of this kind  :-[

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2790 on: September 30, 2019, 06:42:01 AM »
Well he's guaranteed he won't be playing PPUSA again, so, they did a good job on that front

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2791 on: September 30, 2019, 09:22:32 AM »
I think the whole solo project is low on the priority list. Maybe not quite as low as JP's next solo album... :)

It's just one of those things that he'll do when the timing is right and if something changes with DT, the solo project gets put on hold.  Now it seems that Matt is busy with other things too, so it's more of a "we'll get to it when we get to it" type project.

Maybe that did indeed cause conflict with PP, but that's just speculation. 

About the new album - I wish I could say I was really looking forward to it, but the last two just didn't do it for me.  I will of course check it out though and maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #2792 on: October 02, 2019, 06:38:02 AM »
I think the whole solo project is low on the priority list. Maybe not quite as low as JP's next solo album... :)

It's just one of those things that he'll do when the timing is right and if something changes with DT, the solo project gets put on hold.  Now it seems that Matt is busy with other things too, so it's more of a "we'll get to it when we get to it" type project.
That's part of the thing I was getting at. Ever since the first album when they settled into something similar to the current lineup and toured a little, their statements were always about how they're very busy, but there WILL be a new album and there WILL be touring. The new album part always came true even if it took years, the tour part never did. If Matt is still lurking the thread, I'd like to forward a suggestion to him & the others to talk transparently about how difficult it proved for them to tour in the next interview cycle. Maybe it seems like I'm nitpicking, but if they don't, a lot of us are gonna end up feeling like cram:

Like I said, I'll check out the album, I really love his solo stuff.  It's just hard to be excited for a band that doesn't share that excitement towards their fans. 

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2793 on: October 02, 2019, 07:31:46 AM »
I think touring is just going to be harder this time around (as if it wasn't already). Marco is now a full-time PFM member and they tour constantly (he wasn't at the time of the last EoP tour). Matt is a full-time Apple employee. Not sure if Ray Riendeau is active in a band but he does a lot of session work and private gigs. He also launched a vintage bass and amps store. And James' priority is still Dream Theater. Maybe the reason that James pinged Matt for the next solo album is that James probably has DT's calendar of activities for the next year or two , and in between he can release a solo album,  and there might be a small window where he can actually pull of a short tour. With enough notice, I think they can pull it off. My bet would be a short European run since that would make more sense financially speaking.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2794 on: October 02, 2019, 07:59:53 AM »
I don't disagree with that, but at the end of the day, he agreed to something and pulled out.  He could have made it work but didn't think it made sense anymore, maybe for monetary reasons maybe not, but regardless, he had agreed and had fans excited for this.  That doesn't make it fair for him to cancel unless it's beyond his control and none of this sounded like it was.  Yea, maybe not being able to make a full tour out of it meant doing that one show made no financial sense.... but you agreed.  You got people excited.  You sold tickets.  Show up.

It could've been out of his control.  But, being the man he is, was caught in a rut and had to choose what to do. What seemed more feasable. Of course, their are things from all sides DT/PP/JLB that likely occurred and the only best decision was to pull out. Doesn't help that PP books bands as early as it does. But, with doing it that way, it lends itself for bands to pull out, as life happens and other commitments might tend to interefere with other plans.

I don't blame either entity, other than it sucked I didn't get to see those Static Impulse and Impermanent Resonance songs live. They would've kicked ass.

I know you're hurt about it Marc, as I am as well and many others. (Bro Hug)....

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2795 on: October 03, 2019, 03:33:55 AM »
Slight change of topic, but I decided to re-listen to Impermanent resonance for the first time in years. There's a bunch of meh songs, but some of them grew on me. Lost in the fire has such a powerful chorus.  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2796 on: October 03, 2019, 04:45:29 AM »
Slight change of topic, but I decided to re-listen to Impermanent resonance for the first time in years. There's a bunch of meh songs, but some of them grew on me. Lost in the fire has such a powerful chorus.  :metal

One of my favourites and probably my fav performance from James on that album.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2797 on: October 03, 2019, 09:49:14 AM »

Thats a good one. Holding On and Back On The Ground are amazing as well.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #2798 on: December 03, 2019, 06:35:17 AM »
James LaBrie was a featured vocalist in Symphony North album called The Bell Ringer.

Song: Every Doubt Has An Answer

Man, very interesting and enjoyful vocals there. Especially last 1 min. It's like listening Winter Rose vocals. His studio work always amazes me. You can listen in via Spotify or other music app.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4-9sy5EQWU
SeRoX is right!
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2799 on: December 03, 2019, 06:39:16 AM »
I posted it in the Xmas songs thread and no one noticed it  :D

It's not the best song on the album but it's always nice to hear James doing what he does best!  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!