Author Topic: James LaBrie Solo  (Read 408320 times)

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: James LaBrie: Impermanent Resonance
« Reply #2660 on: October 15, 2017, 10:08:19 AM »
The only person I know who was kind of 'shut down' from writing lyrics was John Myung in Dream Theater but yeah I don't think James was ever prohibited from writing anything or told that his lyrics were 'too hard to write music around'  :lol

There was one album (I think ADToE) where James said he submitted lyrics for 3 songs, but they weren't used.

Personally, with as good as the Mullmuzzler/JLB albums have been, I'm not going to question how they divide the songwriting. 

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2661 on: October 15, 2017, 04:41:40 PM »
The only person I know who was kind of 'shut down' from writing lyrics was John Myung in Dream Theater but yeah I don't think James was ever prohibited from writing anything or told that his lyrics were 'too hard to write music around'  :lol

There was one album (I think ADToE) where James said he submitted lyrics for 3 songs, but they weren't used.

Personally, with as good as the Mullmuzzler/JLB albums have been, I'm not going to question how they divide the songwriting.

Yeah it was a non-English interview so I don't think it got much notice.  With how great Petrucci's lyrics were on ADTOE, I can't be too upset but I still would be more satisfied if the albums felt like more of a band effort. 

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2662 on: October 15, 2017, 04:47:24 PM »

Maybe he doesn't want to? Not every musician is bursting at the seems with ideas they want to write. Sometimes they just love the act of performing. There's been some instances of him being told he can't write lyrics to a song here or there in DT, but I'm pretty sure in his solo band, the dude can do what he wants. So if he's not writing lyrics, he's probably not fighting terribly hard for it.

I always had the impression that LaBrie kind of wasn't allowed to write a lot of lyrics because he's never (or very rarely?) involved in the song writing process and the lyrics and vocal melodies are already written when he comes into the studio to start recording vocals. However, I have no real evidence of this. I didn't mean to imply that he should write lyrics. If LaBrie chooses not to then that's cool.

No, it's not really a question of "allowed to" or not.  James is perfectly welcome to write lyrics.  I honestly think that if he came into the writing sessions with a bunch of ideas and said, "Hey, I have a lot of lyrical ideas that I think would be great for 8 of the 10 new songs on our new album," JP and the others would likely react along the lines of, "Great!  Have at it!" 

I doubt it, personally.  I think JP is much more of a control freak than one might think because he is always relatively quiet and humble sounding.  I mean, when you have written the majority of the lyrics for every release, have also been the main songwriter and producer, I doubt youd be willing to give up that much creativity.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #2663 on: October 15, 2017, 05:18:32 PM »
I don't know, I think it was ADTOE where JLB said he had lyrics for a few different songs but JP chose to go with his own ideas over JLB's and I remember he seemed frustrated in that interview. It was either ADTOE or DT, but I think it was the latter because he was happy with Far From Heaven, but felt he had more to add and would be more vocal the next time about letting his ideas be known.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2664 on: October 15, 2017, 05:20:18 PM »

Maybe he doesn't want to? Not every musician is bursting at the seems with ideas they want to write. Sometimes they just love the act of performing. There's been some instances of him being told he can't write lyrics to a song here or there in DT, but I'm pretty sure in his solo band, the dude can do what he wants. So if he's not writing lyrics, he's probably not fighting terribly hard for it.

I always had the impression that LaBrie kind of wasn't allowed to write a lot of lyrics because he's never (or very rarely?) involved in the song writing process and the lyrics and vocal melodies are already written when he comes into the studio to start recording vocals. However, I have no real evidence of this. I didn't mean to imply that he should write lyrics. If LaBrie chooses not to then that's cool.

No, it's not really a question of "allowed to" or not.  James is perfectly welcome to write lyrics.  I honestly think that if he came into the writing sessions with a bunch of ideas and said, "Hey, I have a lot of lyrical ideas that I think would be great for 8 of the 10 new songs on our new album," JP and the others would likely react along the lines of, "Great!  Have at it!" 

I doubt it, personally.  I think JP is much more of a control freak than one might think because he is always relatively quiet and humble sounding.  I mean, when you have written the majority of the lyrics for every release, have also been the main songwriter and producer, I doubt youd be willing to give up that much creativity.

The rest of the DT guys know they shouldn't question a man the size of a bear  :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #2665 on: October 16, 2017, 03:24:32 AM »
I don't know, I think it was ADTOE where JLB said he had lyrics for a few different songs but JP chose to go with his own ideas over JLB's and I remember he seemed frustrated in that interview. It was either ADTOE or DT, but I think it was the latter because he was happy with Far From Heaven, but felt he had more to add and would be more vocal the next time about letting his ideas be known.
I remember he didn't write lyrics for DT12, because he'd just finished Impermanent Resonance and already felt fulfilled creatively.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2666 on: October 16, 2017, 05:38:53 AM »
I remember he didn't write lyrics for DT12, because he'd just finished Impermanent Resonance and already felt fulfilled creatively.
I remember that as well.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2667 on: October 17, 2017, 10:00:05 PM »
I remember that as well.

I remember that too but I almost feel that was a diplomatic answer.  I got the feeling he was pushed out of writing again.  I could be wrong.  But I also remember him saying something like, "But for the next one I'll definitely have more to contribute" and then came The Astonishing. 

At least on The Astonishing he was given a lot of control over the recording of the vocals. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2668 on: October 18, 2017, 08:31:24 AM »

Oh, he definitely is a "control freak" of sorts.  When you talk to him, he makes no bones about it.  But that said, he is also VERY open to others' ideas and input, and I have gotten that not only from several conversations with him, but with others in the band as well.  It kind of depends on the issue.  For example, on the issue of having Jordan take up guitar on a song here or there, JP is pretty inflexible and doesn't want that in the band.  If Jordan ever really wanted to and pushed hard for it, might he reconsider?  Perhaps.  But as it stands now, he has been pretty clear that he is dead set against it.  But then take the recording of the vocals for ADTOE.  He wanted everyone together in studio.  But James wanted to record the vocals alone in Canada.  JP gave him the complete green light to do that.  The one exception was the vocals for BTS, because he felt very strongly about how the delivery should go, so he took a trip up there to give input on that one.  But otherwise, he deferred to James.

How would that translate to lyric writing?  Obviously, none of us know for sure.  But given what I know of how the guys work and what they have said to me on other topics, I still strongly believe that James (or anyone else in the band) could take a much larger role if they wanted to.  I mean, I doubt any one person would write the vast majority of lyrics on an album because JP likes doing it and wouldn't completely step back (I was exaggerating when I said 8-10 songs).  But I really don't think he would have any problem with James taking an expanded role if James strongly felt he had more lyrics he wanted to contribute.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2669 on: October 18, 2017, 09:41:40 AM »

Oh, he definitely is a "control freak" of sorts.  When you talk to him, he makes no bones about it.  But that said, he is also VERY open to others' ideas and input, and I have gotten that not only from several conversations with him, but with others in the band as well.  It kind of depends on the issue.  For example, on the issue of having Jordan take up guitar on a song here or there, JP is pretty inflexible and doesn't want that in the band.  If Jordan ever really wanted to and pushed hard for it, might he reconsider?  Perhaps.  But as it stands now, he has been pretty clear that he is dead set against it.  But then take the recording of the vocals for ADTOE.  He wanted everyone together in studio.  But James wanted to record the vocals alone in Canada.  JP gave him the complete green light to do that.  The one exception was the vocals for BTS, because he felt very strongly about how the delivery should go, so he took a trip up there to give input on that one.  But otherwise, he deferred to James.

How would that translate to lyric writing?  Obviously, none of us know for sure.  But given what I know of how the guys work and what they have said to me on other topics, I still strongly believe that James (or anyone else in the band) could take a much larger role if they wanted to.  I mean, I doubt any one person would write the vast majority of lyrics on an album because JP likes doing it and wouldn't completely step back (I was exaggerating when I said 8-10 songs).  But I really don't think he would have any problem with James taking an expanded role if James strongly felt he had more lyrics he wanted to contribute.

Yeah, that's the same impression I get when I listen to JP or James' interviews. I think JP does great with the lyric writing, but I'd love to have JM and JLB lyrics on a few songs on DT14.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2670 on: October 18, 2017, 02:52:12 PM »

Yeah, that's the same impression I get when I listen to JP or James' interviews. I think JP does great with the lyric writing, but I'd love to have JM and JLB lyrics on a few songs on DT14.

Same here.  And I agree with everything you said, Bosk, but I am a little suspicious of ADTOE and LaBrie having a few lyrics rejected (were they just not good enough, did JP just have a burst of inspiration and overruled James?).  It's hard to be mad at Petrucci because the lyrics he wrote were incredible but I wish we had a little more input from James.  Regardless I do have a lot of respect for Petrucci and thought that was cool that he let James record his vocals in Canada.  While I wish there would have been a few high soaring notes, I don't think that detracts from an otherwise great performance.  In fact, I think it is one of LaBrie's finest.  LaBrie did the same with TA and even though I don't care for the album it is clear that James was kicking ass in the vocal department even without JP looming over his shoulder.  That's the right balance of control freak if you ask me.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2671 on: October 18, 2017, 03:25:25 PM »
...but I am a little suspicious of ADTOE and LaBrie having a few lyrics rejected (were they just not good enough, did JP just have a burst of inspiration and overruled James?). 

Speculation on my part, but based on how I understand how they work in general, I assume it was much more along the lines of--James had some lyrics and John had some lyrics, and James either didn't feel strongly enough to push or felt that John's were worked up more (either more complete, or had a more complete vocal melody with them, or something).  And not--James had some lyrics and submitted them, and John disregarded his input and did what he wanted.  But the thing is, it's all subjective too, right?  I mean, John may feel it was the former because (hypothetically) James didn't speak up and say "hey, I really want to do this song," and James may feel it was the latter because he generally would rather not speak up and make an issue out of something unless he REALLY feels strongly about it. 

I will again come back to the fact that we just don't know.  So I would just be careful about reading too much into it and assuming "the worst."  But I'm just offering my perspective on the discussion, and not really strongly disagreeing or trying to shout you down or anything.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2672 on: October 18, 2017, 03:33:38 PM »
...but I am a little suspicious of ADTOE and LaBrie having a few lyrics rejected (were they just not good enough, did JP just have a burst of inspiration and overruled James?). 

Speculation on my part, but based on how I understand how they work in general, I assume it was much more along the lines of--James had some lyrics and John had some lyrics, and James either didn't feel strongly enough to push or felt that John's were worked up more (either more complete, or had a more complete vocal melody with them, or something).  And not--James had some lyrics and submitted them, and John disregarded his input and did what he wanted.  But the thing is, it's all subjective too, right?  I mean, John may feel it was the former because (hypothetically) James didn't speak up and say "hey, I really want to do this song," and James may feel it was the latter because he generally would rather not speak up and make an issue out of something unless he REALLY feels strongly about it. 

I will again come back to the fact that we just don't know.  So I would just be careful about reading too much into it and assuming "the worst."  But I'm just offering my perspective on the discussion, and not really strongly disagreeing or trying to shout you down or anything.

Yeah, and that's what is awkward about this because if John had crappy lyrics on the album I would be like, "Damn...shoulda let James write."  As it stands, the album worked the way it was (it is my favorite DT album) but I still get lost in the "what ifs". 

That's why when I met them I complimented John on his lyrics, hoping he would write more in that vein than BC&SL which I was not happy with.  Then I complimented James and said I really hope he writes more lyrics because they were excellent, hoping of course he will push more to be included.  He seemed appreciative and reached out his hand to shake mine (even though we were asked by the host person not to shake their hands since it was the start of the tour, germs, etc....reasonable request).  Not that they would listen to a random person anyway but who knows?  Maybe it planted a seed. 

And wouldn't ya know it, John's lyrics on DT12 were again excellent.  So maybe he did listen to me.  And wouldn't ya know it, James hasn't contributed to DT lyrics since.  *sigh*

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2673 on: October 19, 2017, 09:29:10 AM »
A little bit off topic but I would love to hear JR play some guitar live with JP

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2674 on: October 19, 2017, 10:01:30 AM »
That came up shortly after it was learned that Jordan also plays guitar.  JR playing rhythm guitar behind JP's solos or even dual leads could be cool, but JP nixed that idea right away.  Dream Theater has one guitarist; none of that "gay Winger shit".

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2675 on: October 19, 2017, 10:42:02 AM »
That came up shortly after it was learned that Jordan also plays guitar.  JR playing rhythm guitar behind JP's solos or even dual leads could be cool, but JP nixed that idea right away.  Dream Theater has one guitarist; none of that "gay Winger shit".

Yeah, JP would never be cool with that idea.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2676 on: October 20, 2017, 07:28:04 PM »

Yea I remember the gay Winger shit line :lol

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #2677 on: October 20, 2017, 08:58:58 PM »

I remember reading something similar to that. But, with Derek. Not Jordan. Derek wanted to play guitar for Lie and JP nixed it. Something like that. :P
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2678 on: October 20, 2017, 09:42:03 PM »
Interesting!  I'd forgotten that Derek plays guitar too.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2679 on: October 31, 2017, 02:05:35 PM »
Did you see this?
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1727613287269770&id=112306702133778
Anybody knows who is the 5th member of the band?
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2680 on: October 31, 2017, 02:20:05 PM »
I don't, but have been meaning to ask Matt on FB. I'll shoot him a comment and ask.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline devieira73

Offline devieira73

« Reply #2682 on: November 02, 2017, 07:50:47 PM »
I've just heard some of his vocals on Amaranthe and it's very similar to the ones of Peter Wildoer on James Labrie albums. To bring him to this project seems a bit unnecessary IMO. Anyway I'm expecting that the music will be very much in the vein of the last 2 JLB albums, which I like a lot!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2683 on: November 02, 2017, 07:56:55 PM »
Yea. Let his solo stuff be a lot like the last two albums (which I’ll totally dig) then maybe try some new stylistic ideas with James.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2684 on: November 03, 2017, 07:01:16 AM »
I liked that screamer from Amaranthe, I'll be interested in this since I loved the last two JLB albums.  Seems this might be similar music.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2685 on: November 03, 2017, 07:07:40 AM »
It'll be very similar because it's the same guy writing the material :lol On JLB albums, Matt even wrote most of the lyrics anyway.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #2686 on: November 15, 2017, 10:20:56 PM »
The new Matt Guillory track is up on Spotify, if anyone is curious.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2687 on: November 16, 2017, 07:04:39 AM »
Listening to EoP right now and this still far and away my favorite JLB Solo album. Looking forward to the new record!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2688 on: November 16, 2017, 08:11:42 AM »
Listening to EoP right now and this still far and away my favorite JLB Solo album. Looking forward to the new record!

Listened to it yesterday and I completely agree with you, it's James' best solo album by far. Also, imo, the lineup is the best too: LaBrie, Guillory, Sfogli, Mangini and Beller.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2689 on: November 17, 2017, 10:23:03 AM »
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2690 on: November 17, 2017, 01:42:05 PM »
Matt's solo album seems to sound really much like JLB solo albums but I like the new single!
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2691 on: November 17, 2017, 01:47:59 PM »
Matt's solo album seems to sound really much like JLB solo albums but I like the new single!

His solo band is basically the same as the JLB band. Peter Wildoer on drums (he didn't play on the record for reasons but he's officially Matt's drummer). Marco Sfogli on guitar, Not sure who the bass player is, Obviously Matt on keys and writing, and then whoever the dude doing the harsh vocals is.

I like it.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2692 on: November 17, 2017, 02:09:15 PM »
I really like the single!

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2693 on: November 17, 2017, 02:53:29 PM »
Bass player is Ray Riendeau on the song except they used a stand in for the video.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2694 on: November 17, 2017, 02:58:24 PM »
Ah

So it IS the entire JLB band.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"