Author Topic: James LaBrie Solo  (Read 406393 times)

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
Re: James LaBrie: Impermanent Resonance
« Reply #2590 on: June 07, 2017, 06:49:56 PM »
JLB: Solo album "should be ready in late 2017, I think"

https://www.rockbook.hu/hirek/2018-were-gonna-make-new-album-james-labrie-interview

(the title of the interview is about the new DT they'll do in 2018)
Yes

YES

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2591 on: June 08, 2017, 05:39:25 AM »
Hope James actually writes lyrics and vocal melodies this time. For albums that have his name on them, he sure doesn't do much on them except sing. I realize he considers his "solo" effort to be a "band," but the least he could do if he's going to use his name is actually play more of a role than he does with DT.  :lol

To be honest, I don't understand the point of JLB having a band with his name if it isn't really a solo project that he's driving from a creative standpoint. I mean, if he just wants to sing, then don't call it your name. Choose a band name.

Yea, I said the same thing to Frank Sinatra.

How dare you use Frank's name in vain!

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #2592 on: June 08, 2017, 10:55:40 AM »
I thought James used to write most of the lyrics and Matt Guillory would work on the rest... Isn't it?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2593 on: June 08, 2017, 11:46:28 AM »
I thought James used to write most of the lyrics and Matt Guillory would work on the rest... Isn't it?

I dunno how it was on Mullmuzzler, but on EoP, I think it was pretty 50/50 or close to it. The recent two albums, however, seem largely like a Guillory solo album with James on vocals. Sad, since as much as I love Guillory and his writing, I'm not a fan of his lyrics.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2594 on: June 08, 2017, 01:00:19 PM »
I love Guillory's work.

I don't see these LaBrie Solo Albums as much as I do see it as a Band that features JLB. 

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #2595 on: June 08, 2017, 01:58:53 PM »
I really like the latest two JLB albums, but I have to agree I dislike most of the lyrics. The music is great, though.

Offline CB

« Reply #2596 on: June 08, 2017, 04:26:19 PM »

I dunno how it was on Mullmuzzler, but on EoP, I think it was pretty 50/50 or close to it. The recent two albums, however, seem largely like a Guillory solo album with James on vocals. Sad, since as much as I love Guillory and his writing, I'm not a fan of his lyrics.

On EoP James wrote the lyrics for 9 songs, Matt for 3. On SI it was 50/50. The lyrics on IR are mostly Matt's. It seems James lost interest in writing lyrics over the years :sad: I hope it will be different with the next album because he shouldn't be like a guest singer in his own band and because I really like his lyrics, very diverse and interesting themes/ideas.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #2597 on: June 08, 2017, 04:30:42 PM »
I was really hoping that the next album would be Static Impulse meets pirate metal.  We'll see, I guess I can't discard the possibility quite yet.

Seriously though, I love all the solo and Mullmuzzler stuff.  Favorite is probably Elements of Persuasion.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2598 on: June 08, 2017, 04:49:44 PM »
It seems James lost interest in writing lyrics over the years...

I thought James had some ideas for DT13 until JP presented the Astonishing concept to the guys(?). I have no idea what the writing policies and practices are between him and Guillory.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2599 on: June 08, 2017, 05:56:55 PM »
I think the weakest link in the mot recent albums are the lyrics, euphoric comes to mind as being exceptionally bad.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2600 on: June 08, 2017, 07:06:53 PM »
Was it on this forum where Matt talked about Coming Home? I remember the lyrics for that one got a lot of heat.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2601 on: June 08, 2017, 08:14:33 PM »
What was the last song released with James on vocals that had lyrics composed by him anyway? I think it goes back to DT's Far From Heaven... Except if James wrote the lyrics from "Destined to Burn" and "I Will Not Break". I think I read he did so in an interview.

Online Adami

« Reply #2602 on: June 08, 2017, 08:30:23 PM »
What was the last song released with James on vocals that had lyrics composed by him anyway? I think it goes back to DT's Far From Heaven... Except if James wrote the lyrics from "Destined to Burn" and "I Will Not Break". I think I read he did so in an interview.

Yea, he either wrote or co-wrote the lyrics to Agony, Slight of Hand, Letting Go, Destined to Burn, and I Will Not Break.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2603 on: June 09, 2017, 12:22:38 AM »

Yea, he either wrote or co-wrote the lyrics to Agony, Slight of Hand, Letting Go, Destined to Burn, and I Will Not Break.

I think he co-wrote it. I remember Matt had some of those songs in demo version in his youtube channel some time ago and those lyrics were just bit different so I think Matt has wrote those first and James has done some fixing and changing.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sY7kdko2J8 how's Amnesia?
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2604 on: June 09, 2017, 01:03:00 AM »
I think the weakest link in the mot recent albums are the lyrics, euphoric comes to mind as being exceptionally bad.

I don't mind at all the song... it portrays well the state of mind of someone who goes "OMG SHE DIGS ME YAY!!!!1111"
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Mladen

« Reply #2605 on: June 09, 2017, 03:11:53 AM »
Yeah, I always related to that song.  :lol

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #2606 on: June 09, 2017, 11:35:56 AM »
Yeah, Euphoric has some really bad lyrics. I can relate to the idea behind the lyrics of course, but they're pretty bad nonetheless  :lol

Online Adami

« Reply #2607 on: June 09, 2017, 11:41:18 AM »
I admit I haven't read the lyrics to every Guillory song, but I do get the sense that most, if not all, are based around romantic relationships. It just gets a bit boring after a while, and the lyrics can often sound pretty juvenile.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline CB

« Reply #2608 on: June 09, 2017, 04:40:10 PM »

I don't mind at all the song... it portrays well the state of mind of someone who goes "OMG SHE DIGS ME YAY!!!!1111"

Yes, and I especially like that she's not the supermodel type and he's aware of that and it doesn't matter at all.

Was it on this forum where Matt talked about Coming Home? I remember the lyrics for that one got a lot of heat.

I don't know if it was discussed here. The lyrics are JLBs. I remember I wasn't the only one surprised when he revealed that they were inspired by the Dexter TV show! But those lyrics fit many different meanings.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2609 on: June 09, 2017, 10:02:49 PM »
My bad, I was thinking of "Back on the Ground."

Online Adami

« Reply #2610 on: June 09, 2017, 10:05:56 PM »
My bad, I was thinking of "Back on the Ground."

Just not on Venus!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #2611 on: June 10, 2017, 03:23:47 AM »
Hope James actually writes lyrics and vocal melodies this time. For albums that have his name on them, he sure doesn't do much on them except sing. I realize he considers his "solo" effort to be a "band," but the least he could do if he's going to use his name is actually play more of a role than he does with DT.  :lol

To be honest, I don't understand the point of JLB having a band with his name if it isn't really a solo project that he's driving from a creative standpoint. I mean, if he just wants to sing, then don't call it your name. Choose a band name.

You know what? Release an album under the moniker Matt Guillory and only a small amount of people will get interested. Now, release the same album under JLB moniker and more people will get interested. I think, but I may be wrong, that the situation as is benefits more Guillory. In other words, they use the JLB moniker to grab more people.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2612 on: June 11, 2017, 11:46:52 AM »

Really?  I don't remember that.  Those are such awesome lyrics. 

I agree.  I mean, they aren't the most "intelligent" lyrics but they fit the song perfectly.  I kind of see the song from the perspective of a teenager in his first relationship. 

On EoP James wrote the lyrics for 9 songs, Matt for 3. On SI it was 50/50. The lyrics on IR are mostly Matt's. It seems James lost interest in writing lyrics over the years :sad:

It does seem that way.  Even the lyrics he wrote on the last one, which were perfectly fine, don't seem as inspired.  Not bad by any means but just not as epic as the lyrics in DT or even his first few "solo" albums. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2613 on: September 15, 2017, 11:46:40 AM »
So JLB solo band is a confirmed headliner for ProgPower next year.  Very much considering going to this, there's a few other bands I'd love to see as well, but JLB solo music is soo good and it feels like something I wouldn't get to see otherwise.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2614 on: September 15, 2017, 12:09:51 PM »
Woah.

Watch Sons of Apollo play as an opener...
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2615 on: September 15, 2017, 12:16:04 PM »
Woah.

:lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2616 on: September 15, 2017, 12:22:18 PM »
This means that Matt and James WILL be touring next year.

This excites me. I am still disappointed in the fact that the Static Impulse tour didn't happen. My buddy's band had the opening slot in our town. I had like their extra back stage wrist band (as I basically played Bass Tech / roadie / stool softener for him).

I still have a couple tickets from that laying around somewhere.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2617 on: September 15, 2017, 12:26:14 PM »
Woah.

Well, we know all the bands so we know that isn't happening, but it is interesting that this year Mike Portnoy headlined and then next JLB is headlining.  The DT guys have some pull outside DT in the progpower world.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2618 on: September 15, 2017, 12:26:51 PM »
I didn't realize the entire lineup was announce.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2619 on: September 15, 2017, 12:28:24 PM »
It's a sick line up

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2620 on: September 15, 2017, 12:29:26 PM »
Too bad I am on the other side of the country.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2621 on: September 15, 2017, 12:30:40 PM »
It does suck that it's in Atlanta, but it is what it is.  I'm probably buying a ticket at the on sale time (since it always sells out) then I'll figure out next year if I can actually make a vacation out of it.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #2622 on: September 15, 2017, 12:47:36 PM »
Too bad I am on the other side of the country.
Too bad I am on the other side of the World  :P

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2623 on: September 15, 2017, 01:26:27 PM »

I hear you.  But I'm going to equivocate just a bit, and here's why.  I think it has been demonstrated by now that this is really Matt's project with James' name on it.  And the thing is, Matt has knocked it out of the park on the last 2 albums, IMO.  At the end of the day, I like Matt's songwriting.  So if things continue in that vein, I'm ultimately fine with whoever's name is on the writing credits.

Regarding ProgPower, I have to say, I've only heard of a VERY small number of those bands.  When I watched the video promo, most of them made me laugh, and that's not a good thing.  If it were local, I would definitely go on the day that James and Redemption play.  But otherwise, not interested.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2624 on: September 15, 2017, 01:32:54 PM »
Yea, I don't really see the need for JLB to write more if they are going to continue with their musical direction, because whoever is doing the writing now, it is working for me.

As for the rest of progpower, I feel like the lineups are usually hit or miss because they are all smaller bands you either love or never heard of essentially.   Last year was mostly a miss for me, but this year with Nocturnal Rites, Bloodbound, VUUR, and Eclipse (maybe Tarja falls into this catagory as well) are all bands that I otherwise wouldn't be able to see if it weren't for ProgPower.