Author Topic: James LaBrie Solo  (Read 407605 times)

Offline goo-goo

Re: James LaBrie: Impermanent Resonance
« Reply #2555 on: April 10, 2017, 01:42:53 PM »
It's less about the "Linkin Park" reference - I'm not terribly familiar with their material, I was looking for a touchstone; think of the chorus of "In The End" to get where I was going (a song I like, by the way) - than it is understanding "what's the message?  What's the voice?"   Maybe I'm too into guys like Neal Morse or Fish, who's every song drips with their world view, their emotions, their presence.   Dave Roth, Sam Hagar; you listen to one of their solo albums and you know INSTANTLY who that person and that persona are.   

It really just seems to me to be Matt Guillory's project, with LaBrie singing, and the best marketing play was to put James' name on there, not Matt's.

To @goo-goo, no I have not heard either of those two albums, but I'm open to hearing anything.

Do yourself a favor and check out those two releases. If you are looking to hear what JLB can do with his voice, I would go with Frameshift.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2556 on: April 10, 2017, 01:51:10 PM »
Unweaving the Rainbow is fantastic! Never cared for Madmen and Sinners.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2557 on: April 11, 2017, 04:53:31 AM »
I really enjoyed EoP but I couldn't get into the material after that, that said I will give this new album a shot.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2558 on: April 11, 2017, 07:08:50 AM »
I think the last two solo records are his best. This band they have assembled works really well together.

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
2 New James LaBrie Cover
« Reply #2559 on: April 20, 2017, 11:29:05 AM »
This is You've Got Another Thing Coming by Judas Priest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg4cmpZjtRU

This is Separate Ways (Worlds Apart) by Journey: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9de0Bw3nIA

Both are in a rare CD released only Japan and Germany. (From 1999)
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2560 on: April 20, 2017, 12:39:22 PM »
Pretty awesome stuff...

And it was just posted Saturday.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online MirrorMask

Re: 2 New James LaBrie Cover
« Reply #2561 on: April 20, 2017, 02:42:52 PM »
This is You've Got Another Thing Coming by Judas Priest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg4cmpZjtRU

Wow! he's way better at Halford-ing than he is at Hetfield-ing!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2562 on: April 20, 2017, 10:12:43 PM »
Whoa, never even heard of these! :metal
They sound like quick and rough recordings, but they're very cool curiosities.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2563 on: April 26, 2017, 04:47:43 AM »
Just listened to Agony from the latest album, wow! It was way heavier than I was expecting. I've never listened to any of JLB's solo albums, is Agony representive of his solo work? It was almost melo-death at times  :metal
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 12:08:57 PM by twosuitsluke »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2564 on: April 26, 2017, 06:17:12 AM »
Just listened to Agony from the new album, wow! It was way heavier than I was expecting. I've never listened to any of JLB's solo albums, is Agony representive of his solo work? It was almost melo-death at times  :metal

It's a good representation of the last two.  EOP was nice and heavy but didn't have any growls.  If you liked Agony, get into 'em mate!  Peter Wichers from Soilwork had a hand in the last one, so melo-death is the exact style James was going for.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2 New James LaBrie Cover
« Reply #2565 on: April 26, 2017, 06:20:24 AM »

This is Separate Ways (Worlds Apart) by Journey: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9de0Bw3nIA

Both are in a rare CD released only Japan and Germany. (From 1999)

The music is really rough, but James sounds fantastic on the Priest one, really surprising.  The Journey one was average though.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2566 on: April 26, 2017, 08:19:55 AM »
I didn't like him on the Journey cover.  But I agree that the Priest one was fantastic. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #2567 on: April 26, 2017, 11:39:36 AM »
Just listened to Agony from the new album, wow! It was way heavier than I was expecting. I've never listened to any of JLB's solo albums, is Agony representive of his solo work? It was almost melo-death at times  :metal

It's a good representation of the last two.  EOP was nice and heavy but didn't have any growls.  If you liked Agony, get into 'em mate!  Peter Wichers from Soilwork had a hand in the last one, so melo-death is the exact style James was going for.

Yea, I'm going to give them a go, possibly tonight. I never checked out any of his solo stuff as I just assumed it'd be maybe similar to DT but less awesome. It was a nice surprise, I'll report back later  :metal

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2568 on: April 26, 2017, 12:46:44 PM »
Just listened to Agony from the latest album, wow! It was way heavier than I was expecting. I've never listened to any of JLB's solo albums, is Agony representive of his solo work? It was almost melo-death at times  :metal

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Mike Portnoy was always considered "the metal guy" in DT, but James has put out the heaviest music outside of DT.  :metal
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #2569 on: April 26, 2017, 12:54:26 PM »

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Mike Portnoy was always considered "the metal guy" in DT, but James has put out the heaviest music outside of DT.  :metal

Yea, I'm kicking myself right now for not checking out JLB's solo stuff sooner. Just finished listening to Impermanent Resonance and it was a great listen. I'd take this over The Astonishing any day. I guess I always imagined JLB's solo output would be very vocal central with loads of ballads. I like JLB's vocals in general but my ear is almost always drawn to the instruments, especially electric guitar, so I didn't think his solo stuff would be for me. I couldn't have been more wrong. I'm just quite surprised that this is the sort of music JLB is putting out at this point in his career, it's great don't get me wrong. I just didn't expect an album with such melo-death leanings, awesome stuff!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2570 on: April 26, 2017, 01:43:41 PM »
You may want to check out Elements of Persuasion and Static Impulse.  Both are just as good.  I'm not so much a Mullmuzzler fan, but when EoP came along, I've been digging his solo stuff ever since.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2571 on: April 26, 2017, 01:50:17 PM »
I quite like Mullmuzzler, not as heavy and a little more on the proggy side than his recent releases. But he hit the nail with Static Impulse, my favorite.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2572 on: April 26, 2017, 01:54:36 PM »

Yea, I'm kicking myself right now for not checking out JLB's solo stuff sooner. Just finished listening to Impermanent Resonance and it was a great listen. I'd take this over The Astonishing any day. I guess I always imagined JLB's solo output would be very vocal central with loads of ballads. I like JLB's vocals in general but my ear is almost always drawn to the instruments, especially electric guitar, so I didn't think his solo stuff would be for me. I couldn't have been more wrong. I'm just quite surprised that this is the sort of music JLB is putting out at this point in his career, it's great don't get me wrong. I just didn't expect an album with such melo-death leanings, awesome stuff!

If you liked IR, you'd very likely like SI.  Both very similar and awesome albums.  EoP is also really good, but not the same band and is a bit different, but still heavy.   :metal

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2573 on: April 26, 2017, 01:56:03 PM »
I quite like Mullmuzzler, not as heavy and a little more on the proggy side than his recent releases. But he hit the nail with Static Impulse, my favorite.

Yeah, love SI.  The MM series was pretty good and some really good moments, but I'm much more a fan of heavier prog.  I'm really happy with the direction the last 3 releases have taken.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2574 on: April 26, 2017, 02:54:41 PM »
The Mullmuzzler albums are fantastic! I love the latest albums but those two are one of a kind. The first has the best songs, the second is better overall as an album. Shadow Gallery writing some songs for him were a match made in heaven. I hope he'll go back to that style for a song or two on the next record.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2575 on: April 26, 2017, 05:44:50 PM »

SI is better for the style IMO.  EOP is amazing too.  Glad you finally checked his stuff out mate, better late than never.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2576 on: April 27, 2017, 11:39:58 AM »
Any word of a new album?  It's been nearly 4 years already.  I look forward more to James' new stuff than DT's.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2577 on: April 27, 2017, 11:44:38 AM »
I think James said something about it in the recent interviews. It's either ready music-wise, so they just have to record it, or they're working on it. I definitely remember something like that, but I'm a bit too lazy to go search for it.

Chiming in to say Static Impulse is awesome, all the growls actually work very well.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #2578 on: April 27, 2017, 03:00:27 PM »
The previous couple pages have info on it. Sometime later this year!

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2579 on: April 29, 2017, 12:14:10 AM »
I asked about the new album from James two months ago. He said they are working on it and should be out maybe next year. Hopefully that isn't the JP case that he just always says that he's working on it...
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline CB

« Reply #2580 on: May 29, 2017, 04:33:29 PM »
JLB: Solo album "should be ready in late 2017, I think"

https://www.rockbook.hu/hirek/2018-were-gonna-make-new-album-james-labrie-interview

(the title of the interview is about the new DT they'll do in 2018)

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #2581 on: May 29, 2017, 05:43:15 PM »
I hope it's good.  :metal

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #2582 on: May 29, 2017, 09:52:39 PM »
JLB: Solo album "should be ready in late 2017, I think"
:letam: :2metal: :metal

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2583 on: May 30, 2017, 01:04:38 AM »
Excellent news!!!  :metal

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2584 on: May 30, 2017, 05:36:27 AM »
That sounds awesome! JLB solo and something kickass from DT.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2585 on: June 02, 2017, 08:40:45 AM »
Hope James actually writes lyrics and vocal melodies this time. For albums that have his name on them, he sure doesn't do much on them except sing. I realize he considers his "solo" effort to be a "band," but the least he could do if he's going to use his name is actually play more of a role than he does with DT.  :lol

To be honest, I don't understand the point of JLB having a band with his name if it isn't really a solo project that he's driving from a creative standpoint. I mean, if he just wants to sing, then don't call it your name. Choose a band name.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2586 on: June 02, 2017, 08:46:08 AM »
Hope James actually writes lyrics and vocal melodies this time. For albums that have his name on them, he sure doesn't do much on them except sing. I realize he considers his "solo" effort to be a "band," but the least he could do if he's going to use his name is actually play more of a role than he does with DT.  :lol

To be honest, I don't understand the point of JLB having a band with his name if it isn't really a solo project that he's driving from a creative standpoint. I mean, if he just wants to sing, then don't call it your name. Choose a band name.

Marketing. James' name on the front is instant name recognition for a lot of fans in the metal/prog/rock community.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2587 on: June 02, 2017, 08:54:40 AM »

Yea, I said the same thing to Frank Sinatra.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2588 on: June 02, 2017, 09:37:53 AM »

Marketing. James' name on the front is instant name recognition for a lot of fans in the metal/prog/rock community.

Don't get me wrong. I totally get it. I just wish he'd write more.

Yea, I said the same thing to Frank Sinatra.

::)
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2589 on: June 02, 2017, 10:26:25 AM »
I do agree with you about his writing, especially since he has expressed displeasure at not being able to contribute as much as he'd like to DT's recent albums. But if the album is as good as the last two, I'll be plenty happy.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'