Author Topic: James LaBrie Solo  (Read 408769 times)

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
Re: James LaBrie: Impermanent Resonance
« Reply #2415 on: November 24, 2014, 08:53:40 PM »
Definitely still looking forward to it. Funny enough I've been spinning solo Labrie just the last few days as well and still absolutely love all of his work. I really think EoP will reign as my favorite, but IR has vastly improved for me over time. Amnesia and Holding On still give me the biggest fucking goosebumps known to man and really gives me the feels. Especially if I play them alongside an anime music video, which is one of my favorite things to do with Labrie for some reason.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2416 on: November 24, 2014, 09:23:43 PM »
Now make your point into a pun so I can take it seriously, dammit.

Well, I used to be undecided about which I liked best.  I'll listen to them all one more time just to be sure, even though the growlie parts can at times be agony.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2417 on: November 24, 2014, 10:01:32 PM »
Found it:

Original thread

Initial post about it in this thread

I either missed or completely forgot about that, probably the latter, thanks!

Now make your point into a pun so I can take it seriously, dammit.

Well, I used to be undecided about which I liked best.  I'll listen to them all one more time just to be sure, even though the growlie parts can at times be agony.

Ahhh, that's the stuff.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #2418 on: November 25, 2014, 12:25:18 AM »
For those who haven't looked at the Metal All Stars thread in the DT side:

A trainwreck live version of I Got You

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #2420 on: November 25, 2014, 12:36:28 AM »
Jesus christ.... I wonder what was wrong with them? Tired as hell? Someone spiked their drinks? Raped by a pack of wolves?

That was...unbearable. He doesn't have us. Well, it's not like I ever planned to see any of this material live anyway. It's just kinda... owie.

RIP DTP.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2421 on: November 25, 2014, 04:11:01 AM »
James isn't too bad considering what he is singing against.  This is just terrible.  I'd ask for my fucking money back.  Did they not rehearse the song at all, Jesus.  The guitarist should never be allowed to pick up the instrument again.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2422 on: November 25, 2014, 04:42:42 AM »
I didn't think it was that bad, although it took them a while to kick it off. James sounds great.

I was supposed to see this Metal all stars thing next week, but it got cancelled apparently. Oh well, I would have only gone to see James and I already saw him twice this year.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2423 on: November 25, 2014, 06:26:36 AM »
Jesus christ.... I wonder what was wrong with them? Tired as hell? Someone spiked their drinks? Raped by a pack of wolves?
I think it's just the lack of rehearsals, but this proves that even a group of professionals can sound horrible if they haven't played together before.
I was supposed to see this Metal all stars thing next week, but it got cancelled apparently.
The Euro tour has been pushed back to spring: https://www.metalallstars.com/

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2424 on: November 25, 2014, 09:24:39 AM »
I think it's just the lack of rehearsals, but this proves that even a group of professionals can sound horrible if they haven't played together before.

Yeah, all that.  There was another clip from this gig in the Queensryche thread where they played Jet City Woman, and they butchered that even worse.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2425 on: November 25, 2014, 10:38:32 AM »
Its pretty pathetic IMO.  These are supposed to be "metal all stars" and they are terrible.  If you plan on having people pay to see this event, these guys need to do a better job.  And Im not talking about JLB, from that one video I watched, he sounded good, but that band needs to put the time in to be able to play the song.  I dont expect it to be perfect or even near perfect since they arent his band, but they need to be better than that if they are charging people to watch.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2426 on: November 25, 2014, 01:26:00 PM »

That was...unbearable. He doesn't have us. Well, it's not like I ever planned to see any of this material live anyway. It's just kinda... owie.
James isn't too bad considering what he is singing against.  This is just terrible.  I'd ask for my fucking money back.  Did they not rehearse the song at all, Jesus.  The guitarist should never be allowed to pick up the instrument again.
Just checking - you guys realise that's not his band right? It's that Metal All Stars thing.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2427 on: November 25, 2014, 02:43:26 PM »

Just checking - you guys realise that's not his band right? It's that Metal All Stars thing.

Yeah man, I know that.  I'm aware Vinny and Felipe don't normally play with James.  I don't know who the guitarist is, but he should never be allowed to attempt a Marco Sfogli song again.

Still no excuse for how bad the band sounded.  I agree with cramx, if you are gonna put this on and get people to pay money to see it, you need to do a much better job.  I don't care if they don't normally play together, that's no excuse.  If you can't put on a decent show, don't do it at all.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2428 on: November 25, 2014, 02:47:51 PM »
Oh yeah, I don't disagree, just wasn't sure from your posts whether you thought that was was JLB's band would normally be like live.

But yeah, the Metal All Stars thing never appealed to me even slightly as a concept, and this seems to validate that.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2429 on: November 25, 2014, 02:49:26 PM »
Oh yeah, I don't disagree, just wasn't sure from your posts whether you thought that was was JLB's band would normally be like live.

Yeah, there's no way they would sound like this.  I remember seeing videos from the EOP tour, they were pretty damn tight.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2430 on: November 25, 2014, 02:59:01 PM »
But yeah, the Metal All Stars thing never appealed to me even slightly as a concept, and this seems to validate that.

Personally, I dont think the concept is that bad.  But that execution is terrible.  I havent bothered to check other videos out, but if thats more of the norm for these shows then its a joke and I feel bad for a guy like JLB who is used to playing with amazing and prepared musicians.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2431 on: November 25, 2014, 03:07:20 PM »
The payday must be sweet for the amount of things he does.  He's only singing two songs a set.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #2432 on: November 25, 2014, 03:22:19 PM »
Ah, that I did not know.

...they REALLY SEEM LIKE ALL-STARS HERE:lol

No but really, they shit ALL OVER that name. Pretty horrid performance by everyone except Labrie, who was merely alright. Either by not rehearsing or by beating it too much the night before, all excuses are as pathetic as that freshman performance.

RIP DTP.

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #2433 on: April 21, 2016, 12:39:05 PM »
I know this is an old thread but I have to say I really like this album and didn't embrace it until a few months ago. It's in my regular playlist now and helps offset some of the missing elements as of late.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2434 on: April 21, 2016, 02:29:42 PM »
Damn, I saw this thread bumped and thought there was some new album news.

It's a fantastic album nevertheless.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2435 on: April 21, 2016, 03:16:27 PM »
I haven't played this album in a while because I overplayed it. It's been probably over a year or two...Same with Elements of Persuasion. Haven't played that in over 3-4 yrs, maybe more. But if I have to choose which has been my favorite over the last three albums, I must say Static Impulse is the one I have gone back and listened to the most

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2436 on: April 21, 2016, 03:25:14 PM »
Static Impule is incredible.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2437 on: April 21, 2016, 03:38:52 PM »
I still listen to Static Impulse and Impermanent Resonance somewhat regularly.  Both are great albums.  :metal

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2438 on: April 21, 2016, 10:11:00 PM »
Damn, I saw this thread bumped and thought there was some new album news.
Yeah same, got all excite.

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #2439 on: April 22, 2016, 10:01:19 AM »
I wish he would!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2440 on: April 22, 2016, 04:36:27 PM »
I wish he would!

Only a matter of time I'd say.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2441 on: April 23, 2016, 02:23:35 AM »
https://carlbegai.com/2016/04/15/james-labrie-new-solo-album-a-matter-of-time-and-focus/
“I think it’s just a matter of Matt Guillory, myself, and all the other guys making time to get together,” says LaBrie. “It really is a band and me and Matt are really passionate about keeping the same players of the last 10 years. Matt and I have talked and we agree that we definitely have to do another one, we have to follow up Impermanent Resonance with an album that is just as killer. I think it’ll be better. It really is a matter of being able to sit down and put the time and focus into it that it deserves. But yeah, I do believe there will be another one. I really want to do another solo album before I say ‘I’m done, I don’t want to do this anymore…’ or ‘I don’t want to perform live anymore.'”

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2442 on: April 23, 2016, 03:24:52 AM »
I would be worried about the last couple of lines. If he has one more solo album in him before he quits performing live, I would give him two more albums/tours with Dream Theater.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2443 on: April 23, 2016, 04:00:49 AM »
I'd be disappointed if we only got one more album from this lineup. :|

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #2444 on: April 23, 2016, 06:22:23 AM »
I'd be really excited to get another JLB album like this one. I am sure they are all getting tired, maybe MP was right, maybe they did need a break because they all seemed completely burnt on stage with the exception of JP and MM.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2445 on: April 23, 2016, 07:19:41 AM »
I would be worried about the last couple of lines. If he has one more solo album in him before he quits performing live, I would give him two more albums/tours with Dream Theater.

The pressure on him for the live performances is crazy so I can see why he would say that. Maybe JP will start coming up with set lists that are more doable for a man in his 50s.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2446 on: April 23, 2016, 07:39:15 AM »
I read the last couple of lines more like a casual statement, not as a definite plan to retire in the next couple of years.

And as I said in another thread, I really can't believe that if you've done music your whole life, that you someday sit down and say that you never ever would do something music related again. Maybe take it slower, maybe only do one off performances, but to cancel music activities completely, not going to believe it.

Back to thread: Another JLB solo record in the vein of the last two would be awesome.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2447 on: April 25, 2016, 10:04:13 AM »
I take all that as good news, he wants to do another album with the same group, that is great.  Anything else taken from that comment is just stretching things.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #2448 on: April 25, 2016, 10:34:27 AM »
got James to sign my vinyl copy of Static Impulse after the RCMH show, and he mentioned that they're planning on doing another record like everyone's been saying, so consider me hyped  :metal

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2449 on: April 25, 2016, 11:01:10 PM »
I'd rather James solo than DT at the moment.  They better make time haha.