Author Topic: Rock Discipline: Book vs DVD?  (Read 2828 times)

Offline popol

Rock Discipline: Book vs DVD?
« on: April 27, 2009, 11:24:56 PM »
Which one should I get?

The book is much bigger than the tab booklet that comes with the DVD. I guess the booklet only covers the main examples and has no tab for the variations?

I saw some of that DVD on youtube, and it seems like John spends a LOT of time in spent in actually showing the notes of the exercises one by one and showing off how fast he can play then, instead of just telling you to look at the tab (and yes, I do understand that you're supposed to do learn the exercises by watching the vid and be in awe of John's skills).

So it seems that on 2 hours running time, there's maybe 20 minutes of talking, which is transcribed in the book anyway. While the book has tons of tabs that are not in the DVD booklet.

I'm leaning more towards the book, but I'm not quite sure. Maybe I'd miss something important, and maybe the tabs for exercise variations are not that useful anyway.

Anyone can help me decide?

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Rock Discipline: Book vs DVD?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 03:53:14 PM »
Cant say i've read the book but the DVD is definately a good watch.  I guess it depends on how visual a learner you are, for me it was good to be able to see how to go about it all.  Its more fun with the DVD i think, tab seems less... personal i guess.

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 05:49:11 PM »
I prefer the DVD. There are still plenty of exercises on the DVD and the visual makes it more interactive. You may get more exercises in the book but the exercises from the DVD are elaborate enough, IMO, to get the general idea of the technique and expand on them yourself.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 10:47:17 PM »
Both are necessary IMO. Watch the DVD first and have the book open just to review and get everything clear. Good thing I have all those tabs in GuitarPro :hat