Author Topic: The Avenged Sevenfold Thread (merged)  (Read 164256 times)

Online Anguyen92

Re: The Avenged Sevenfold Thread (merged)
« Reply #1050 on: October 05, 2017, 11:06:11 PM »
Old thread, but would like to let everyone know that Avenged Sevenfold is starting a headline tour in January 2018.  The kickoff show is in Nashville Tennessee at the Bridgestone Arena with guests Breaking Benjamin and Bullet for my Valentine. I have not heard either of the two backup bands, but will have to check them out.

Those that missed them with Metallica may get another chance.

Breaking Benjamin's a really great band to me.  All five of their albums are pretty darn good.  Typical fan favorite albums would be either We Are Not Alone or Phobia (that particular album has their signature song, The Diary of Jane).  My personal favorites is either Dear Agony or Dark Before Dawn.

As for Bullet for My Valentine.  I don't know too much about them.  I do know that they, along with A7X and Trivium, were heralded at some point as the flag-bearers for modern heavy metal I think.  That stated, only A7X obviously, has managed to make it to being an arena band.  I hear that Bullet for My Valentine's best album is The Poison and that one of their albums, Temper Temper, was apparently a career killer for them.  I listened to Venom in full and it was all right, but not really for me.

Anyway, sounds like a good bill.  I think if this bill was going to be at the Honda Center in Anaheim (even though it is a place I really hate due to hockey allegiance), I might have gone there depending on ticket prices.  That stated, I'm seeing Breaking Benjamin at the House of Blues in Anaheim anyway.  Wouldn't mind seeing A7X in SoCal as their only SoCal shows so far has been with supporting Metallica.  One of them was at the Rose Bowl, but I didn't go because A. They were too expensive for me and B. I hear the Rose Bowl is really a huge hassle to get in and get out.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #1051 on: October 06, 2017, 08:06:03 AM »
Bullet for My Valentine is one of those bands that has made plenty of great songs but has yet to release a great album. Great fun metal band though. I wanna say they're kinda a modern heavier Motley Crue.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1052 on: October 06, 2017, 08:12:54 AM »
Bullet for My Valentine is one of those bands that has made plenty of great songs but has yet to release a great album. Great fun metal band though. I wanna say they're kinda a modern heavier Motley Crue.

Completely agree with you. They have a handful of good songs on each album (except Temper Temper...piece of garbage that it is), but I wouldn't even consider listening to an album front to back. They do put on a decent live show. I saw them open for Avenged back in 2011, and then again on their own headline tour in '12. The canadian tour dates are going to be released next week, so I hope Edmonton gets a stop. I didn't feel like handing over $100 for a Metallica/A7X ticket this summer, so I'm banking on them coming in 2018.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1053 on: October 08, 2017, 12:47:35 PM »
I got into Bullet for My Valentine around the same time as I got into A7X and Trivium. The Poison is honestly a great album. It's a total nostalgia fest for me but it's a great album for its time. I don't really listen to it so much nowadays (and probably not as much as the Trivium and A7X albums released the same year) but it's still pretty great. Shame they went so downhill after this  :yeahright

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1054 on: October 09, 2017, 06:51:39 PM »
Breaking Benjamin consistently makes me cringe. I'm glad that A7X is doing some headlining shows, though.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1055 on: December 08, 2017, 06:16:28 PM »
This is amazing

Roman Sky Acoustic Live

They've got a live acoustic album coming out from this show  :metal

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1056 on: December 08, 2017, 09:51:59 PM »
That was awesome! M. Shadows sounded excellent.

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1057 on: December 08, 2017, 10:38:51 PM »
This is amazing

Roman Sky Acoustic Live

They've got a live acoustic album coming out from this show  :metal

It actually released today. Digital only. Seems to be available everywhere except Amazon.

I have $12 in Google rewards credit and it is only $5 on the Play store. Buying now.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #1058 on: April 12, 2018, 07:29:39 PM »
Just listening to their self-titled for the first time in ages. It's not my favourite album but damn, do I love Afterlife. It's a great song to air drum to  :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1059 on: April 13, 2018, 01:06:42 AM »
It's actually my favorite of them. Afterlife is indeed awesome!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #1060 on: April 13, 2018, 04:26:51 AM »

Was it your first Avenged Sevenfold album? My first exposure to then was City of Evil and it will always be my favourite. But I can imagine if the first album I ever heard of theirs was the self-titled, I'd love it too.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1061 on: April 13, 2018, 04:37:39 AM »
Indeed it was my first album. I don't care at all for screaming vocals and I quickly dismissed the early stuff (I still have somewhere some self made edits that completely skip the screaming parts), and City of Evil was hit and miss for me - some songs are gorgeous, some other not so memorable. The self titled was the one I clicked the most with, and I'll always consider A Little Piece of Heaven an absurd gem of wonderful vaudevillian insanity.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline DTA

« Reply #1062 on: April 13, 2018, 05:55:53 AM »

Was it your first Avenged Sevenfold album? My first exposure to then was City of Evil and it will always be my favourite. But I can imagine if the first album I ever heard of theirs was the self-titled, I'd love it too.

Same. Nothing they've done is as interesting as City of Evil for me. Nightmare comes close, but that and everything else feels like a second rate Metallica/GNR clone.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1063 on: April 13, 2018, 06:10:14 AM »

Same. Nothing they've done is as interesting as City of Evil for me. Nightmare comes close, but that and everything else feels like a second rate Metallica/GNR clone.

Yup, City of Evil was the first album of theirs I got (a friend gave it to me, said I would like it not long after it was released) and it's been my favorite since.  But I really like all their albums.  I was bummed they didn't play near me this winter, but they are coming to my backyard this summer so really excited to finally see them do a headline show.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #1064 on: October 20, 2018, 05:28:53 AM »
At first I dismissed this band, but after giving a proper listen to them I've changed my mind completely. 'The Stage' is incredible and probably would've been a contender for album of the year in 2016 if I listened to it then. Anyone else had this sort of turnaround with them?

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1065 on: October 20, 2018, 06:54:36 AM »
At first I dismissed this band, but after giving a proper listen to them I've changed my mind completely. 'The Stage' is incredible and probably would've been a contender for album of the year in 2016 if I listened to it then. Anyone else had this sort of turnaround with them?

Yup. I remember seeing the video for Bat Country back in '05, and i thought these guys were a joke. Almost Easy in the game Rock Band 2 reintroduced them to me in a whole new light. Now they're my favorite band. Their discography isn't all gold, but there's only a few songs i don't enjoy (outside of Sounding the 7th Trumpet,  for which the opposite holds true).

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #1066 on: October 21, 2018, 05:13:02 AM »
Yup. I remember seeing the video for Bat Country back in '05, and i thought these guys were a joke. Almost Easy in the game Rock Band 2 reintroduced them to me in a whole new light. Now they're my favorite band. Their discography isn't all gold, but there's only a few songs i don't enjoy (outside of Sounding the 7th Trumpet,  for which the opposite holds true).

Indeed, 'Sounding...' sucks (containing pretty much all my negative assumptions about them), but their discography seems to almost get progressively better as time goes on, with a few bumps in the road like 'Hail to the King'.

Offline Dreamdrummer

« Reply #1067 on: October 22, 2018, 07:59:49 AM »
Back in 2006, A7X was opening for Metallica here in Holland (along with Trivium and Bullet For My Valentine)

At that time I never heard of all 3 opening bands...
Something I regret, because that was an awesome line-up!

After the show I started listening to City Of Evil, Waking The Fallen and Trivium's Ascendancy.
Became a fan of both bands.

I must say that I've lost A7X a bit with Hail To The King and Trivium with In Waves.
For both bands, everything after these albums didn't do it for me...

BFMV never really got my interest. Although Scream, Aim, Fire and Fever have some fun tunes!
Drums - Music - Faith - Hope - Love - Tattoos - Learning To Live

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1068 on: October 22, 2018, 08:09:59 AM »
Been a fan since City of Evil and still love A7X.  Sucks they just never seem to play the NYC area and when they finally scheduled to come here over the summer and it was cancelled.  Still waiting to see a headline show from them (I did catch them open for Metallica 1.5 years ago).

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1069 on: April 11, 2019, 07:44:01 PM »

Offline DTA

« Reply #1070 on: April 12, 2019, 05:45:11 AM »
Save Me is a great song. I remember MP saying that he was disappointed that he was out of the band by the time they threw this in the Nightmare tour setlist. This band frustrates me so much because they have tons of great songs that they never play live because they feel some weird need to play their "hits" endlessly tour after tour. This song is one of them that got ignored after being played just a few times.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1071 on: April 12, 2019, 09:21:11 AM »
What a wonderful video! I had no idea there was so much going on in this song.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1072 on: April 12, 2019, 11:43:14 AM »
What a wonderful video! I had no idea there was so much going on in this song.

Yes, there's a lot going on on that song, it was amazing whatching it.
Waiting for part 2

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1073 on: May 02, 2019, 02:17:44 PM »

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1074 on: May 02, 2019, 10:52:36 PM »
Part 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boEI8quKSYQ

:metal

That's Nightmare, Part 1 :lol (Which reminds me: I should watch Save Me, Part 2, if it's now available, thanks!)
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1075 on: October 07, 2020, 03:26:19 PM »
Bump...

Haven't heard much from the band lately and just got this email:

Greetings -

You are receiving this email because you have signed up for our mailing list at one point or another.  This note is not meant to add to the daily onslaught of click bait and advertisements you will find on the internet these days so we opted to only send to you. 

First and foremost, we hope everyone is being as safe as they possibly can out there.  As you know, we are living through unprecedented times. 

This moment has taught us a lot about the fragility of being a human being and how quickly the world in which we took for granted could be flipped upside down. 

Many people are in a tough spot as they grapple with their health and livelihoods.  We are all dealing with this in our own ways. 

For us, we have taken an inward approach.  Spending large amounts of time with our families has been the silver lining. 

It has also given us the time to meticulously work on music and other projects.  The truth though, is that it has been incredibly hard to record the way we want.  For instance, the drum room we required for the album was shut down due to protests outside the building for weeks.  String sections and outside musicians have still not been able to be recorded due to Covid-19 restrictions.  We are not willing to sacrifice the sound we are going for to work around this.  We will wait.  There are other issues on the horizon but we are documenting it all for a later release when we can tell the whole story. 

At the end of the day it wouldn’t matter anyway.  We don’t feel comfortable working on an album this long and then releasing it with no tour in sight.  Part of the music we make needs to be expressed through live interaction.  While we appreciate the artists who are attempting ‘live streams’ and other events, it just isn’t the way we are choosing to roll this thing out.  All of this may change in the future.  We are going through this with all of you and feel frustrated as well.

The good news is we also feel recharged and stronger than ever as a unit.  We feel the music we have created is _______.   Just because we aren’t updating everyone at every step doesn’t mean that we aren’t working.  The news gets tiring.  Social media gets tiring.  Everyone on the food chain fighting for attention and relevance seems trivial.  We have chosen to shut our mouths, dig deep and give you something that we feel can add to the collective human conversation.  At the end of the day the music will come when it comes.  Until then we hope you and your families all stay safe and sane.

A7X

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1076 on: October 07, 2020, 03:40:07 PM »
Well, at least, that's a nice courtesy way to say something to their fans to let them what's going on in their camp.

Been almost four years since The Stage.  Man.

Offline emtee

« Reply #1077 on: October 07, 2020, 04:10:25 PM »
I know I'm in the minority...like WAY in the minority, but I really loved the straight forward approach of Hail To The King. When I want to spin A7X, I go to this one most often.

AND, even though MP was on Nightmare, I don't really like it very much. It's aged poorly for me.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1078 on: October 07, 2020, 04:13:21 PM »
I know I'm in the minority...like WAY in the minority, but I really loved the straight forward approach of Hail To The King. When I want to spin A7X, I go to this one most often.

AND, even though MP was on Nightmare, I don't really like it very much. It's aged poorly for me.
I agree that Nightmare has aged poorly, but I like Hail to the King even less. My favorite A7X album is a toss up between City of Evil and The Stage.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1079 on: October 07, 2020, 04:18:27 PM »
At least it sounds like they have an album written. That's a pretty good sign. I think the longer covid travel restrictions are around the more likely it is they'll just release the album, tour or no tour. Assuming they can finish the recording, that is

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1080 on: October 07, 2020, 04:25:24 PM »
Well, at least, that's a nice courtesy way to say something to their fans to let them what's going on in their camp.

Been almost four years since The Stage.  Man.

Yea, it's good for them to make a statement and also let's not forget their last tour was cancelled due to the vocal injury so they've really kind of fallen out of the spotlight for a long time now.

Personally, I LOVE Hail to the King.  I never understood the hate other than the straight forward drumming but always thought the songs were really good so I never let the drums hold me back from enjoying the songs themselves.  It's not my favorite, I think City of Evil still is, followed by the Self Titled.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1081 on: March 14, 2023, 09:37:39 AM »
Man, about 2.5 years since the last post.  Well, no better time to post this.  They got a new song out called Nobody and a new album to release.  Haven't heard it yet.  Will probably do at some point.

https://loudwire.com/avenged-sevenfold-release-new-song-nobody-new-album-first-shows-since-2018/

They have also announced their first live shows in five years.  Going to be playing at the Forum and MSG in June.  Falling in Reverse will open both shows.  I imagine these tickets will go fast through any means, so I'm probably not going to get lucky and nab a ticket at a good price.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1082 on: March 14, 2023, 10:08:34 AM »
Man, about 2.5 years since the last post.  Well, no better time to post this.  They got a new song out called Nobody and a new album to release.  Haven't heard it yet.  Will probably do at some point.

https://loudwire.com/avenged-sevenfold-release-new-song-nobody-new-album-first-shows-since-2018/

They have also announced their first live shows in five years.  Going to be playing at the Forum and MSG in June.  Falling in Reverse will open both shows.  I imagine these tickets will go fast through any means, so I'm probably not going to get lucky and nab a ticket at a good price.

The new single, Nobody, is....different. I'm on my second listen now. The first was a touch underwhelming. The ending solo is great, but the song is such a departure from the A7X songs I enjoy that it's hard to like. Carries on well from the sonic elements of The Stage, so if you enjoyed that album it's right up your album. For me, it's missing the guitar driven elements that made A7X so great in the past. I don't think there's a single guitar harmony on this track.

Offline Deathless

« Reply #1083 on: March 14, 2023, 11:53:50 AM »
I thought the new single was bad. Whatever the click / programmed noise in the background drove me absolutely crazy. Shadows also sounds pretty rough.

The guitar solo was cool but overall I am not optimistic after hearing this. And I enjoyed Hail to the King and The Stage.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1084 on: March 14, 2023, 12:10:54 PM »
I actually think this was very good.  :hefdaddy

Here's the official video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjrRTY2UDjw