Author Topic: The Avenged Sevenfold Thread (merged)  (Read 164548 times)

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
Re: The Avenged Sevenfold Thread (merged)
« Reply #980 on: November 02, 2016, 06:05:04 PM »
Man, I wish the weekend could come faster. I won't be able to get my hands on the album before that and the anticipation is killing me. I had the chance to listen to it once and it just made things worse because it sounded awesome  :lol

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #981 on: November 03, 2016, 06:51:07 PM »
Since I love this new album so much I went back to some of their older stuff and there's definitely good songs here and there, but to me The Stage sounds a lot deeper. I definitely prefer the more thrash/prog/grunge angle than the constant dual guitar / punk-ish older style. Love the varied songwriting and the clear yet raw production. My favorite metal release of 2016, even above Alter Bridge and maybe Opeth too. I never expected such greatness from A7X.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #982 on: November 03, 2016, 10:20:00 PM »
...My favorite metal release of 2016...
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #984 on: November 04, 2016, 08:05:24 AM »
...My favorite release of 2016...

That's saying something cause this year has been a great one with new music IMO.  I'll be giving my first real listens tonight and through the week on my business trip to Germany.  This will be a nice treat on the plane.  (along with the new Epica that I just finally listened to this week as well).

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #985 on: November 04, 2016, 09:50:14 AM »
Since I love this new album so much I went back to some of their older stuff and there's definitely good songs here and there, but to me The Stage sounds a lot deeper. I definitely prefer the more thrash/prog/grunge angle than the constant dual guitar / punk-ish older style. Love the varied songwriting and the clear yet raw production. My favorite metal release of 2016, even above Alter Bridge and maybe Opeth too. I never expected such greatness from A7X.

Not sure if it is my favourite this year (I love some of the albums this year a lot and there are still a few coming), but consider me surprised how much I am digging this. They definitely went "there", instead of going further in the simplistic direction of HTTK they pushed themselves further than most of their material before it. Much more varied than their previous albums too. And people on this forum were right when the guy was announced, this drummer absolutely nails it. I will buy this album for sure (spotified it on repeat the last few days).

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #986 on: November 04, 2016, 01:07:58 PM »
Was anyone else annoyed by the horrendously overplayed drums in Exist? Its the only song I listened to besides the title track so I wouldnt know if the problem persists anywhere else.
I thought that whole song was a trainwreck but the drums really made it worse for me.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #987 on: November 04, 2016, 01:45:46 PM »
I really like the drums in that track but in general like it when drums take a bombastic lead every now and then. In fact, I find the spoken word section to be one of the more effective ones I have heard in recent years due to the drums. The groove carries it and there are enough twists and turns to keep things from getting monotonous. But if that is your opinion, I don't think you will like the rest of the album much in regards to drumming. I will say that at times the drumming may be a bit too dominant in the quieter sections, but I was never bothered by it.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #988 on: November 04, 2016, 01:52:16 PM »
Well, kinda like with the songs "The Art of Dying" and "Finally Free", I love how the drums steal the show and make an otherwise maybe dragging section amazing. I would say this outro is as good as both of those, and that's saying something cause those are among my favorite outro's ever.

@PROGdrummer the 'problem' persists, yeah. If you're not into flashy drums in that sense you're going to hate the last chorus in God Damn and the entirety of Fermi Paradox pretty much, this album is a total Brooks Wackerman show and I personally love it because of that.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #989 on: November 04, 2016, 04:59:05 PM »
It's mainly the fact that he wouldn't STOP playing during quieter passages. Always touching the toms and the ride when he really probably should have just done nothing. And hammering on the cymbals of the chorus while the guitar is trying to be reserved. I like a drummer who knows when to pull his punches a little bit.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #990 on: November 04, 2016, 08:07:39 PM »
I get that, but nothing strikes me as off in particular. To me it can work similar to a singer displaying powerful vocals over a mellow acoustic piece or a soaring guitar solo over an atmospheric slower sounding piece of music. I like it when a certain element in music contrasts against the rest of the music.  In this album and band, I think it fits. Like I said, there are probably moments where he could've toned down, but there have been no grating moments for me personally. Not to say I don't enjoy more reserved drummers as well and as with any singer or instrumentalist, being able to express music both "small and subtle" and "large and bombastic" is a showcase of one's talent. I just don't think the music presented here necessarily requires it (to the extend I'd call it annoying overplaying), though in some moments it probably could enhance the music. In general though, I find the drumming on this album a big plus.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #991 on: November 05, 2016, 06:03:12 AM »
Listened to the album about 4 times on my flight while in and out of sleep aND loved what I was hearing.  :metal

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #992 on: November 05, 2016, 06:16:22 AM »
Ok, here's my attempt at ranking this beast:

1. Exist (love the epicness and I'm a sucker for anything to do with the enormity of our universe and our subsequent insignificance  :lol)
2. The Stage
3. Roman Sky (I love their epic songs where they include strings and stuff, Strength of the World is a top 5 song for me as the ending is the epitome of epic)
4. Creating God
5. Sunny Disposition (love those horns)
6. God Damn
7. Higher
8. Paradigmn
9. Fermi Paradox
10. Simulation (Reminds me of Captive Honour by Megdeth because of the spoken word parts)
11. Angels

Loving this album more with each listen  :metal

Offline NotePad

« Reply #993 on: November 05, 2016, 09:36:21 AM »
I haven't yet heard the new album. Before listening myself, I'm curious, what past albums of theirs would you compare it to? Is it similar at all to HTTK?

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #994 on: November 05, 2016, 09:44:16 AM »
It is unlike anything they've done before and thankfully nothing like HTTK.

The ambition of the album reminds me of City of Evil though.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #995 on: November 05, 2016, 09:44:47 AM »
10. Simulation (Reminds me of Captive Honour by Megadeth because of the spoken word parts)

Ha, my first thought when I heard that section!

My ranking:

1. The Stage (A metal epic with nods to Metallica, Megadeth and Dream Theater. Definitely my favorite A7X to date.)
2. Sunny Disposition (Horns of course, but I particularly like the bridge part after the guitar solos.)
3. Creating God (Total sucker for AIC/Soundgarden-ish vocals. The lyrics are pretty bad I guess, but whatever. The bridge vocals remind me of Ozzy.)
4. Angels
5. Simulation
6. Exist (The first seven minutes or so up and until the Octavarium-ish 'leslie' guitar solo is amazing to my ears. Not too sold on the Beatles-esque remainder of the song, but the spoken word part at the end is great.)
7. Paradigm
8. Fermi Paradox
9. God Damn
10. Roman Sky
11. Higher

Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #996 on: November 05, 2016, 10:18:03 AM »
I haven't yet heard the new album. Before listening myself, I'm curious, what past albums of theirs would you compare it to? Is it similar at all to HTTK?

I'd say it's a good mix of City of Evil and their self titled, but it is also fresh and new  :tup

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #997 on: November 06, 2016, 01:56:27 AM »
This took a while to think over but here's my ranking:
#1: Exist
#2: Angels
#3: The Stage
#4: Sunny Disposition
#5: God Damn
#6: Creating God
#7: Roman Sky
#8: Fermi Paradox
#9: Higher
10: Paradigm
11: Simulation

As for the album as a whole: amazing.  :tup
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline LordCost

« Reply #998 on: November 06, 2016, 04:10:36 AM »

I'd say it's a good mix of City of Evil and their self titled, but it is also fresh and new  :tup

I agree!

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #999 on: November 06, 2016, 03:51:37 PM »
Why suddenly release an album with no advance notice?
Well, man, a lot of it has to do with boredom [laughs]. Everyone else is dropping the breadcrumbs, having four or five singles before their record comes out.

So much respect for this. I can't stand the guy's voice or the band's music, including that new album. But I bought a digital copy anyway to support this exact point.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1000 on: November 06, 2016, 06:47:01 PM »
It's called adjusting to a changing industry. If bands want to drop an album with zero warning. They can.

If they want to put out four or five songs beforehand. Cool.

I can see the validity of both sides.

Personally I'd rather the singles first to build up hype for the eventual album release.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #1001 on: November 07, 2016, 01:44:15 AM »
With bands I know, my hype level peaks with the announcement of a new album. I immediately want to hear it and have an urge to throw my money at them without waiting for reviews. As the months pass, I become more rational. When I hear singles, my excitement drops as I realise that the songwriting is basically more of the same.

But with unknown bands, singles and marketing indeed help to get me interested.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1002 on: November 07, 2016, 05:01:27 AM »
I'm still surprised that they were able to get physical copies in stores without the surprise being leaked.  I think that is the coolest part about the whole surprise.  It actually worked.  As for the band just releasing it, I agree, it's part of the change in times.  If the album is ready, might as well get it out instead of the breadcrumbs.  I'm cool with a single before the album comes out (they still did this) to get hyped and a sample of the album, but 4 or 5 songs is a bit much and kind of just spoils the album at that point.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1003 on: November 07, 2016, 05:15:15 AM »
I think the only reason Metallica didn't do the surprise album thing was that U2 already did it and they'd just be copying.

I do like that on August 18th - out of nowhere they revealed - Album title, tracklist, album art, release date, first single & video all at once.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1004 on: November 07, 2016, 05:41:02 AM »
I think Metallica has done a great job with the way they are releasing their breadcrumbs.  Especially with the live videos as well for all the new songs coming out right after the song is released.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #1005 on: November 07, 2016, 06:05:35 AM »
My first listen and purchase by this band.  Holy cow this is great .
Love the drums! :metal
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1006 on: November 07, 2016, 06:07:11 AM »
With bands I know, my hype level peaks with the announcement of a new album. I immediately want to hear it and have an urge to throw my money at them without waiting for reviews. As the months pass, I become more rational. When I hear singles, my excitement drops as I realise that the songwriting is basically more of the same.

That is me as well. But it's a little more of an upsetting issue for me.
I'm a Metallica fan but I despise the breadcrumbs deal, I supported the Sevenfold album even though I'm not a fan at all because I like the way they released it, I truly miss knowing about new albums coming out by walking into a store and "Oh look a new album has come out" or simply waking up to find it online like Sevenfold fans did. I don't give a flying fuck what your gushing whore industry is forcing you to do or how you're "adapting to the times", there is no reasoning sufficient for making fans wait like dogs for 2 or 3 month. Especially with someone like me who only likes 5 or 6 bands and rarely finds new music to enjoy.
So, as immature as that sounds, the way I respond to that is that I very damn well make sure to wait and check very regularly for the leak and get it asap. I know it doesn't hurt the band or the record company and it's not like I'm effectively "getting back at them" but it simply makes me feel better heh
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1007 on: November 07, 2016, 06:49:17 AM »
My first listen and purchase by this band.  Holy cow this is great .
Love the drums! :metal

I think the drums in The Stage intro are ridiculously over the top.

So Progmetty spends money on an album by a band he hates but illegally downloads music he loves ?

Ok.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1008 on: November 07, 2016, 07:06:48 AM »
Listened to this new album several times now and it's grown on me a little. I still think that Gates literally saves a couple songs for me, just as I'm tuning out or wanted to skip to the next track, his guitar playing will save the song.

I agree with what a couple people have said about how busy the drums are, sometimes they can be a bit much, but general I like the drumming on the album.

Does anyone else think that the sonics are a bit too raw and thin? I feel like a times I want it to sound bigger and fuller than it does...

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

« Reply #1009 on: November 07, 2016, 07:19:19 AM »
Alright:

1. Exist
2. God Damn
3. Sunny Disposition
4. Higher (The kick pattern brings this song up about 3 spots  :heart :heart)
5. The Stage
6. Creating God
7. Paradigm
8. Roman Sky
9. Simulation
10. Angels
11. Fermi Paradox

But really:

1. Exist/Sunny/God Damn
4. Higher/title/Creating God/Paradigm
8. Roman Sky/Simulation
10. Angels/Fermi
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1010 on: November 07, 2016, 09:03:55 AM »
Add me to the group that likes the drumming.  Even when it's fast in those softer spots, I really enjoy that.  I'm no where close to forming a ranking of the songs yet.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1011 on: November 07, 2016, 12:48:09 PM »
It's not a dealbreaker for me, but I do agree that the drumming is over the top in some places. There are a couple spots where I can't help but think, "WTF are you doing right now, man? Let the song breathe."

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #1012 on: November 07, 2016, 01:05:48 PM »
I was certain after HTTK the last thing anyone would nag about would be the drums.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1013 on: November 07, 2016, 01:21:51 PM »
I have no problem with the drums on this album, at all!! Its nice to hear Brooks let loose a bit after being in Bad Religion for so long (I love BR, for the record).

He can smash the shit out of anything as far as I'm concerned.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1014 on: November 07, 2016, 01:28:33 PM »
I was certain after HTTK the last thing anyone would nag about would be the drums.

I may be in the minority, but the drums never bothered me on HTTK either.  Sure it's basic, but the whole album is fairly basic so it felt right to me.  This album is not basic at all and the intense drumming feels right too.

I have no problem with the drums on this album, at all!! Its nice to hear Brooks let loose a bit after being in Bad Religion for so long (I love BR, for the record).

He can smash the shit out of anything as far as I'm concerned.

I love BR as well (saw them and they were awesome a month ago) and find it so interesting that this guy as good as he is was playing such simple music in BR.