Author Topic: The Avenged Sevenfold Thread (merged)  (Read 166495 times)

Offline emtee

Re: The Avenged Sevenfold Thread (merged)
« Reply #595 on: July 17, 2013, 12:22:31 PM »
I don't doubt that he's capable or that what you said is correct.  But the question still exists:  Why??  It doesn't sound interesting and doesn't give the song any punch or attitude.

I agree. If it's only 1 song that's OK with me but if the whole album takes this uber basic approach on the drums I won't be interested.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #596 on: July 17, 2013, 12:24:13 PM »
I don't doubt that he's capable or that what you said is correct.  But the question still exists:  Why??  It doesn't sound interesting and doesn't give the song any punch or attitude.

Absolutely. I'm okay with slower, simple drum patterns for the purpose of the song, but this is simple just for the sake of being simple. There might as well have been no drum track, because it added absolutely nothing.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #597 on: July 17, 2013, 12:45:36 PM »
Either they're really trying hard to simplify their sound or they don't want the new guy to overshadow the Rev.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #598 on: July 17, 2013, 12:53:00 PM »
i think they are trying to simplify the sound, if you listen to what shadows is saying in this video at 1:00: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEwxCGq4kMg
no idea about the drums though

i've listened to the new song a bunch of times now. can't get into it. hopefully the album is better

Offline Mosh

« Reply #599 on: July 17, 2013, 01:03:21 PM »
I figured they would just strip down the production, lay off on the twin guitars and not do vocal harmonies. I didn't expect them to dumb down the music too.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #600 on: July 18, 2013, 09:29:35 AM »
I was pretty underwhelmed with the first listens. But it has grown on me quite a bit.

Pretty much like Nightmare and Critical Acclaim now that I think about it.

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #601 on: July 18, 2013, 11:05:41 AM »
After I've even blasting this song like crazy in my car I've grown to love it! It's so much better when played loud in my opinion. I love it so far, Shadows kills it on this track. I can't wait to hear the rest of the album! I believe we're in for something more technical, not that Hail The King style simplicity is a bad thing. Still sounds like Avenged Sevenfold to me!
May The Force Be With You.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #602 on: July 18, 2013, 11:51:14 AM »
Sounds like a pretty generic mid-tempo metal song to me, to be honest.

The complaints about the drumming, though, leave me to ask this question. I used to play drums, a long time ago admittedly, so I do tend to listen to songs for their drumming, and the question I always ask myself when the drumming is a simple groove is "what else COULD have been played?" This song isn't calling for anything too terribly complex-it does seem to be working an AC/DC thing-so I really don't know what else he could have played. It's not like the song's crying out for a "hit every tom on the kit" fill, after all. Part of the problem might stem from the drum sound itself-Phil Rudd got away with working basic grooves because his drumming sounded HUGE and anchored everything around it. This song needs more, for lack of a better term, WHAP to the drums.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #603 on: July 20, 2013, 08:22:36 PM »
I finally got a listen and I liked it. A bit different but pretty solid. I don't care that the drums are simple because it seems like it fits that song.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #604 on: July 20, 2013, 08:51:30 PM »
I don't mind the simple drum beat, there were a few songs on City of Evil that weren't complex drum-wise at all, and it fit the song.

My biggest problem is that the song simply lacks any sort of energy. It doesn't hit me with any sort of impact, it doesn't leave any sort of impression; it begins, goes through the motions, and ends. It's by no means a bad song, but it doesn't exude any semblance of excitement, power, or energy-- rather, it leaves me somewhat cold. The song is certainly catchy, and like I said, in no way is it bad, but it just doesn't convey any sense of life. As a first single, I much prefer Nightmare, which was heavy, engaging, and thrilling from the start.

I think the simplicity of verse-chorus-verse-chorus-solo-bridge-chorus repetition really hurts, too-- it doesn't allow for much variation (as with the drumbeat) and thus comes off as a very dull song. Hopefully the rest of the album won't follow suit, but I'm sort of skeptical, which I've never been before with an A7X album, so hopefully I won't be disappointed with the direction.

I wish they'd have gone in a progressive metal direction. Save Me was fantastic on Nightmare, and their more progressive songs (Sidewinder, M.I.A., Strength of the World, I Won't See You Tonight pt. 1) are easily their best. When I listen to Hail to the King, it's like the band who made those songs doesn't even exist anymore, and it's saddening because I know the talent is there. Fingers crossed for a good album, though.

Online SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #605 on: July 21, 2013, 03:16:49 AM »
*Brilliant post*
I agree with every sentence.
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline tiagodon

« Reply #606 on: July 22, 2013, 09:13:34 AM »
The new song sounds like Iron Maiden!

Offline DarkyDan

« Reply #607 on: July 29, 2013, 08:17:41 PM »
I'm going to be honest here.  I cannot listen to any WHOLE album by A7x apart from Nightmare.  Only a few songs off each.

Without Portnoy I don't have high hopes really.  With Nightmare I thought they took a huge step up to the prime time but their no frills approach to HTTK I'm not sure it will end up memorable enough.

Hopefully I'm proved incorrect when the album drops.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #608 on: July 29, 2013, 08:21:07 PM »
I wasn't a huge fan of the single when I listened to it. It sounded kind of plain, and nothing really stood out to me. Hope that changes with the release of the album.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #609 on: July 29, 2013, 09:13:49 PM »
I'm going to be honest here.  I cannot listen to any WHOLE album by A7x apart from Nightmare.  Only a few songs off each.

Without Portnoy I don't have high hopes really.  With Nightmare I thought they took a huge step up to the prime time but their no frills approach to HTTK I'm not sure it will end up memorable enough.

Hopefully I'm proved incorrect when the album drops.

ehh i actually thought the rev suited them much better. much more creative with his fills and had that punky edge. Nightmare sounds exactly what it is, A7X feat. Mike Portnoy

Offline DarkyDan

« Reply #610 on: July 29, 2013, 10:28:45 PM »
ehh i actually thought the rev suited them much better. much more creative with his fills and had that punky edge. Nightmare sounds exactly what it is, A7X feat. Mike Portnoy

I see!  Well I am by no means a punk fan.  I guess that's why I liked Nightmare and don't really dig much off of the rest of the albums.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #611 on: July 29, 2013, 11:38:39 PM »
Rev was perfect for them! And MP did a good job of emulating his way of writing drum parts. I'll give this new record a spin just to see what Arin comes up with.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #612 on: July 31, 2013, 02:35:47 PM »
Alright I love the song now.

So energy... POWER!

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #613 on: July 31, 2013, 02:58:19 PM »
*Brilliant post*
I agree with every sentence.
:clap:

Same here. Lacking energy / impact was exactly what I thought when first listening to this. Even lists my top 5 Avenged Sevenfold songs as their best  :tup

I mean, Hail To The King has some cool parts and is all right to listen to, and it certainly doesn't kill any hopes for a great album, but it just feels really dull compared to a lead single like, say, Nightmare.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #614 on: August 03, 2013, 06:26:40 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1IvOe8gk2I

Yeah I'm done worrying about album quality. Engaging into hyped fanboy mode.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #615 on: August 03, 2013, 06:52:51 AM »
Going to see these guys for the first time next month in Baltimore. Can't wait!

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #616 on: August 03, 2013, 01:18:11 PM »
jeez anyone could be A7X's drummer on this album so far

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #617 on: August 03, 2013, 01:39:38 PM »
The drums are so mind numbingly boring. They could be so much more interesting :l

It feels like they told the new guy to be as simplistic and as non-unique as possible. I don't really know if I'm looking forward to this album anymore.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #618 on: August 08, 2013, 10:56:02 PM »
I heard Hail to the King on the radio today, and was really confused as I thought it was Jorn Lande. The DJ didn't say who the band was afterwards, and I didn't find out until 5 minutes ago while checking out Thiago's newest spit screen cover, just out of curiosity as I'm not a fan of Avenged Sevenfold.

"Jorn on the radio?!"

The song isn't too bad. Sounds like Dio actually. Of course, Jorn is a Dio mark.

Offline fllnsprrw

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #619 on: August 09, 2013, 07:24:44 PM »
Never cared much for Avenged Sevenfold before, but their new single is pretty good! will check out the album for sure! thanks again DTforums for introducing me to new music...
1. Images & Words/ 2. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence/ 3. Scenes From a Memory

Offline FourthHorseman

• Cultivating my own nonsense
« Reply #620 on: August 09, 2013, 11:11:48 PM »
Its kind of a bummer that the drum parts are so oversimplified. But I guess we have DT12 to make up for it  :metal

Prediction: Hail to the King is a concept album.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #621 on: August 10, 2013, 01:13:50 AM »
Would make sense, since Nightmare was supposed to be one until Jimmy died. They've probably been itching to make a concept album.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #622 on: August 16, 2013, 06:46:20 AM »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #623 on: August 16, 2013, 06:56:43 AM »
Not feelin that.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #624 on: August 16, 2013, 10:06:05 AM »
Was kind of shocked to see Shadows have long share. Still the same serviceable yet boring song, all because of the drums. Had the drums been more entertaining, it would have been a killer track.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #625 on: August 16, 2013, 11:03:10 AM »
Somebody should take the drum track out, record their own more inventive and empowering drum track, and replace the old one. Then I would agree, it'd be a pretty sweet metal song.

Video's pretty cool, I liked the ending. The reviews for the album have so far been mainly 8-10 stars, so I'm hoping that this album will still be good.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #626 on: August 16, 2013, 11:05:19 AM »
I'm hoping just like you Heretic, I just reeeaallly hope that the drums are more challenging than some basic beats being laid down for the album. If they are basic beats, shame on the guys for that.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #627 on: August 16, 2013, 11:08:57 AM »
Somebody should take the drum track out whole song out, record their own more inventive and empowering drum track song, and replace the old one. Then I would agree, it'd be a pretty sweet metal song.

FTFY

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #628 on: August 16, 2013, 01:32:06 PM »
This song is really good. And the drums are fine for a straightforward song like this.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #629 on: August 16, 2013, 01:44:00 PM »
holy hell i hope the rest of the album is nothing like this. they look as bored playing it as i am listening to it.