Author Topic: The Avenged Sevenfold Thread (merged)  (Read 164581 times)

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Avenged Sevenfold Thread (merged)
« Reply #945 on: October 28, 2016, 06:18:31 AM »
Rolling Stone caught up with Avenged Sevenfold frontman M. Shadows in advance of Thursday's show to discuss The Stage, his fascination with AI, pushing the envelope with their stage show and how they got one of America's most famous scientists to make a cameo appearance on their record.

Why suddenly release an album with no advance notice?
Well, man, a lot of it has to do with boredom [laughs]. Everyone else is dropping the breadcrumbs, having four or five singles before their record comes out. It completely takes away the mystique of the record; by the time it actually comes out, you've already done 50 interviews about what the record's about and is going to sound like. It's 2016; people's attention spans are so short at this point, who has time for three months of lead-up?

You've got five guys over here who are very bored of that; so for us, it was about keeping the hype very short and sweet, and then executing on all levels. Here's the record – we spent a long time on it, and it's available for you now. And now we can all learn about the record together, after you hear it, instead of hearing all these things about it as we're dribbling crumbs at you. We just said, "No BS this time – we're just going to do everything that we want to do, from the live show to the merchandising, to how we present this thing and how we release it."

Your previous label, Warner Bros., announced last week that they'll be releasing an Avenged Sevenfold greatest hits collection in December. Did you move up the release date of The Stage in reaction to that announcement?
No – I learned about the Warner album for the first time last Friday, the same as you. That was a surprise to us, but this whole thing was put into motion back in August. Chris Jericho did a fake [Instagram] post about this album coming out on December 9th, just to throw people off; he and I were laughing about it the other day, because everyone picked up on it like it was fact.

It has been very difficult to do it this way, because we understand that rock fans really want physical releases, as well as digital – they want to buy the CD, they want the vinyl. We originally said, "Just release it digitally. Everybody's got Spotify; everybody's got this streaming service or that." But we realized that it would really upset some fans, so we decided to pull off a release unlike Radiohead, or Beyoncé or Kanye, where there's actually a physical product in stores on Day One. So, props to Capitol for even trying to undertake this thing, especially internationally. It's just insane.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/avenged-sevenfold-talk-wild-new-ai-themed-album-the-stage-w446962

In reading this article, seems that the band is going for something similar to what Nightwish went for with their last album.  Works for me! 
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 06:28:04 AM by Destiny Of Chaos »

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #946 on: October 28, 2016, 06:39:58 AM »
Yeah I kept listening for that oddball snippet they teased a few months back..... So there may be more?!  :hefdaddy

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #947 on: October 28, 2016, 06:54:06 AM »
Also I love the new drummer.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #948 on: October 28, 2016, 07:32:12 AM »
Why suddenly release an album with no advance notice?
Well, man, a lot of it has to do with boredom [laughs]. Everyone else is dropping the breadcrumbs, having four or five singles before their record comes out.

Metallica?  :lol

Also, I think this was awesomely pulled off.  With Jericho tricking everyone, to the first single being awesome, to the performance ontop of the Capitol Records building (Hey Warner Brothers, go fuck yourself!), to the album being in stores surprisingly to everyone.  I only wish there was more to the concert last night than 4 songs, also wished there was more new music performed, but I'm a big fan of Acid Rain so that was cool to see.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #949 on: October 28, 2016, 08:08:38 AM »
I thought the album was ok after just 1 listen. There are tracks I really liked (The Stage, God Damn, Fermi Paradox), as well as some I didn't care for at all (Sunny Disposition, Angels). Overall , I thinks it fits somewhere in the middle of their discography for me. I'll listen a few more times today to get a better feel.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #950 on: October 28, 2016, 10:22:04 AM »
The wife picked me up a copy at Best Buy this morning. This was an extremely well executed release.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #951 on: October 28, 2016, 10:23:30 AM »
Yeah I kept listening for that oddball snippet they teased a few months back..... So there may be more?!  :hefdaddy

Do you mean the one they played after announcing the winner of their song tournament? That was the beginning of Exist. Unless you mean the part they played before that which I'm pretty sure was an April Fool's joke.

As for the album, I quite like it. I don't know if it's at the level of City of Evil or Nightmare (I need a few more listens to fully digest it) but there's a lot to love. Roman Sky, Fermi Paradox, and Exist is one of the best final three songs I've heard. Brooks is a beast and his drumming has rejuvenated their music. I like the more progressive nature of this album (obviously) and as far as concepts go, AI is a pretty cool topic.

Going back to Exist, wow what an epic song. That entire 7 minute intro is great, I love how it calms down when M. Shadows comes in, and the ending that builds in energy as Neil Degrasse Tyson educates all of us is an amazing way to close an album.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #952 on: October 28, 2016, 10:52:39 AM »
Okay... just watched the video they put on FB last night.  How the hell does the singer not know the words to his own music? I get that The Stage is brand new, but how could he not have Planets and Acid Rain down?

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #953 on: October 28, 2016, 11:05:29 AM »
Only two listens and I liked it A LOT. I already have the impression that it's the more progressive A7X album to date, so there's very much to absort and it will demand much more listens to fully appreciate it. And yes, the drum work is top notch and very energetic! :metal
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

« Reply #954 on: October 28, 2016, 10:41:08 PM »
I have been listening to this album since I woke up at 8:30 this morning. After HTTK I didn't think I would ever enjoy a new a7x record as much as their older stuff, or at all. This is legitimately one of my favorite releases of the year right up there with new Periphery, Thank You Scientist, Haken, and The Dear Hunter. Maybe it's not quite on the level of some of those, but it's so surprisingly good I just didn't expect it. It's so interesting and progressive and just well put together, and still so much fun. It just blew me away. PLUS, the drumming is kickass again.
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #955 on: October 29, 2016, 02:01:26 AM »
I listened to three or four songs the other night but I'm going to try and spin the whole thing today. I've loved what I've heard so far and I'm genuinely excited to listen to this thing. I never thought that day would come again with this band  :tup

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #956 on: October 29, 2016, 03:22:38 AM »
God Damn is seriously the catchiest thing ever. Can't get that chorus out of my head
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #957 on: October 29, 2016, 06:22:53 AM »
Yea this was great on first listen. I went ahead and bought the album  :tup

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #958 on: October 29, 2016, 09:17:08 AM »
I love that they went for it on Exist. Really really digging this album after two listens.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #959 on: October 29, 2016, 09:41:52 AM »
I love HTTK. I hope the new album is more like it, but with more guitar harmonies and some Beast And The Harlot style chorus's. In other words, I want HTTK with the Helloween influence of City of Evil 😉.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #960 on: October 30, 2016, 07:09:58 AM »
This album has made me realize again why I love this band so much, I'm on an A7X rush again like I never imagined to ever be anymore since my edgy teen years. Their discography is so interesting cause while they have a very defining core sound, every album still sounds so different from the other.

Nightmare is still my clear-cut favorite but The Stage, WTF and City of Evil are all amazing as well. Not sure where to rank The Stage yet but it would probably be either #3 or 4

I like how pleasantly surprised a lot of progressive metal fans are with this record as well despite having negative preconceived opinions about the band, especially with the song Exist. I'm still indifferent to the sudden mood change, but I think all the different movements within that song are brilliant, especially the Neil DeGrasse Tyson is growing on me and is a unexpected but fantastic end to the album.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #961 on: October 31, 2016, 07:14:00 AM »
A7X have always been hit or miss for me. I'm checking out the new album now... First impression about halfway through the tracks is that Gates is an absolutely insane player.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #962 on: October 31, 2016, 08:18:50 AM »
I gave my first listen while playing Rocket League yesterday and while I wasn't paying full attention, the music sounded amazing.  I'll be traveling later this week so will have plenty of time to sink my teeth into the album.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #963 on: October 31, 2016, 09:56:28 AM »
I've listened to it on shuffle a couple times. I still haven't fully engaged myself with it, but so far I find it to be AMAZING! Talk about an ambitious endeavor. All the classic A7X is there, but, again, they've found a new form. The new influences, and where they've gone musically, are just a real pleasure to listen to. It's kinda weird to say this about a band that brings it like A7X, but it's like a breath of fresh air. Not just fresh air, but air I've never heard before. Yes, I can hear air. What, you can't?

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #964 on: October 31, 2016, 05:48:28 PM »
I'm on the first full listen now. I have no intention of putting on something else, every song has surprised me so far and around the end things tend to drag a bit on substandard songwriting. Curious about the 15 minute track coming up next at the very end. The guitar playing has been out-of-this-world so far. I heard so many references to old school metal, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains. A bit cheesy here and there still, but I never knew these guys were so good.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #965 on: October 31, 2016, 07:39:28 PM »
Pleasantly surprised after first listen. Drums aren't boring like HTTK. Also Shadows' voice is kinda shot, some of those verses in Higher are rough

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #966 on: November 01, 2016, 11:15:59 AM »
I still have yet to make it through the entire album. God those vocals sound absolutely grating to my ears. A shame because I really like what's going on instrumentally.
Theses vocals are Chaos In Motion level for me.  :sadpanda:

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #967 on: November 01, 2016, 11:34:34 AM »
I almost envy you guys, I'm reading many positive comments but I've heard the album three times but I barely remember anything off it. The title track is good, but I swear that the only things I remember is that there are two slower songs (especially Roman Sky is great), that the last song is 1/3 instrumental, 1/3 "normal" song and 1/3 spoken outro dialogue, and that's it. I don't remember any verse or choruse, save barely the one for Goddamn.

I discovered the band with the self titled, liked I guess 2/3 of Nightmare and 2/3 of Hail to the King. I wouldn't mind at all being drawn to their music again but so far I have a hard time even remembering the songs  :huh: uh well, I hope you're all right and I'm wrong!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #968 on: November 01, 2016, 01:28:54 PM »
I almost envy you guys, I'm reading many positive comments but I've heard the album three times but I barely remember anything off it. The title track is good, but I swear that the only things I remember is that there are two slower songs (especially Roman Sky is great), that the last song is 1/3 instrumental, 1/3 "normal" song and 1/3 spoken outro dialogue, and that's it. I don't remember any verse or choruse, save barely the one for Goddamn.

I discovered the band with the self titled, liked I guess 2/3 of Nightmare and 2/3 of Hail to the King. I wouldn't mind at all being drawn to their music again but so far I have a hard time even remembering the songs  :huh: uh well, I hope you're all right and I'm wrong!

Go back and listen to God Damn again. It's one of the more memorable tracks, in my opinion.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #969 on: November 01, 2016, 05:10:39 PM »
I've been aware of A7X since City of Evil, and they were always a so-so band for me. But this album changes everything. It's just so well done and the tones are incredible. Also, I didn't know Synyster Gates was such an amazing player. I hear Friedman, Mustaine, Petrucci and much more in there. More importantly, the songwriting is surprisingly varied and interesting throughout. The weak spots are obvious here and there, but there's way more good than there's bad stuff. Fan, would buy tickets.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #970 on: November 01, 2016, 05:53:26 PM »
Album isn't bad at all, but the riffs are so generic.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #971 on: November 01, 2016, 07:48:59 PM »
I've been aware of A7X since City of Evil, and they were always a so-so band for me. But this album changes everything. It's just so well done and the tones are incredible. Also, I didn't know Synyster Gates was such an amazing player. I hear Friedman, Mustaine, Petrucci and much more in there. More importantly, the songwriting is surprisingly varied and interesting throughout. The weak spots are obvious here and there, but there's way more good than there's bad stuff. Fan, would buy tickets.
Hell yeah! I mean, sure a lot of people think negatively about this band, but not many could deny Syn is one hell of a guitarplayer, and his solos on City of Evil were literally the first thing that drew me to this band.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #972 on: November 02, 2016, 04:57:00 AM »
Hell yes, this is the band that I loved when I heard City of Evil, not that watered down, monotonous performance of Hail to the King that had me worried. First listen impressed me, will revisit it soon.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #973 on: November 02, 2016, 05:21:18 AM »
Early Top 5 for me

1. Fermi Paradox
2. Exist
3. Higher
4. The Stage
5. Sunny Disposition

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #974 on: November 02, 2016, 05:30:26 AM »
I'm not really a fan of this band at all, but the last album I picked up and it was pretty good.  I should have a listen to this one.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #975 on: November 02, 2016, 01:48:51 PM »
I'm on my 4th listen through I think. Certain songs are really starting to stand out, I'll try and give a bit of a ranking in a week or so. I must say I really like the album closer, it's really cool  :tup

Glad to have you back boys. Not sure they will ever top City of Evil for me but this new album may out rank Nightmare, only time will tell.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #976 on: November 02, 2016, 02:00:35 PM »
My (somewhat useless) attempt at ranking the songs. Disclaimer: This is actually impossible to do properly

1. Exist
2. Angels
3. The Stage
4. God Damn
5. Roman Sky
6. Paradigm
7. Sunny Disposition
8. Fermi Paradox
9. Simulation
10. Higher
11. Creating God

I feel bad ranking anything near the bottom cuz its so damn solid, but yeah, this seems about right. Simulation is pretty amazing but I guess the transitions between genres are a bit too random, whereas in songs like God Damn and Sunny Disposition they're smooth as hell.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #977 on: November 02, 2016, 02:04:42 PM »
My (somewhat useless) attempt at ranking the songs. Disclaimer: This is actually impossible to do properly

1. Exist
2. Angels
3. The Stage
4. God Damn
5. Roman Sky
6. Paradigm
7. Sunny Disposition
8. Fermi Paradox
9. Simulation
10. Higher
11. Creating God

I feel bad ranking anything near the bottom cuz its so damn solid, but yeah, this seems about right. Simulation is pretty amazing but I guess the transitions between genres are a bit too random, whereas in songs like God Damn and Sunny Disposition they're smooth as hell.

:lol didn't you say you weren't a fan of Exist on first listen?

I like Sunny Disposition a lot. It feels really different to anything they have done before, as far as my memory goes anyway. I'd definitely rank Creating God higher and I really like Roman Sky, that would be high. I'll give it a go in a week.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #978 on: November 02, 2016, 02:11:15 PM »
More so, I HATED that song on first listen. It felt like the biggest waste of space ever. But embracing the album's theme and delving into the Neil DeGrasse Tyson bit made this song so spectacular. Also started noticing the vague distortion on Matt's voice to make it sound a bit more spacey, the attention to detail on this song is fabulous. Angels gets all my praise as well, that's just one of those a7x ballads that managed to click with me really easily. The faster we run now, the closer the gun now is so hauntingly beautiful at the end

And yeah Sunny Disposition is really distinctive. Am I the only one who is getting a Mars Volta vibe from the horns section?

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #979 on: November 02, 2016, 03:15:13 PM »
I have no idea how to rank the songs on this album. All I know is that Exist is definitely number 1.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask