Author Topic: The Avenged Sevenfold Thread (merged)  (Read 164568 times)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: The Avenged Sevenfold Thread (merged)
« Reply #910 on: October 25, 2016, 02:46:31 AM »
What annoys me about Best Of albums is when. in this case, they're just chronological. Since you're compiling an official release that you will ask people money from, how about do what any kid with Spotify or Winamp can do, and come up with a nice, interesting and cohesive tracklist, balancing songs from all the eras, the hits, the slower songs, pacing the album in a word? more often than not Best Of albums are 3-4 songs from albums slapped together in order and that's it.
On the flip side, chronological order can be a good way to show how a band has developed over time, which can be better than a random selection of songs with different styles and production styles which can be much harder to fit into any kind of flow. I don't have a strong feeling either way, both can work well.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #911 on: October 25, 2016, 07:03:45 AM »
I too think it is a total waste like some of you said, I don't see any reason to release 'best of' albums in this day and age unless they add something unique that the separate songs cannot offer.

The fact that this only includes warner era songs makes it even worse since Waking the Fallen is one of their absolute finest records in my mind, and HttK is one of my least favorites. Also agreeing with the sentiment that this kind of thing should be reserved for bands with HUGE catalogues like Maiden. I cringe any time I see a top A7X list since it always includes songs like Almost Easy and Dear God and this best of lineup is no different.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #912 on: October 25, 2016, 08:50:38 AM »
Could they not include the live version of Unholy Confessions from Live At the LBC?
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #913 on: October 25, 2016, 09:52:17 AM »
What annoys me about Best Of albums is when. in this case, they're just chronological. Since you're compiling an official release that you will ask people money from, how about do what any kid with Spotify or Winamp can do, and come up with a nice, interesting and cohesive tracklist, balancing songs from all the eras, the hits, the slower songs, pacing the album in a word? more often than not Best Of albums are 3-4 songs from albums slapped together in order and that's it.
On the flip side, chronological order can be a good way to show how a band has developed over time, which can be better than a random selection of songs with different styles and production styles which can be much harder to fit into any kind of flow. I don't have a strong feeling either way, both can work well.

Yeah, I didn't really think about this, and the "look at the evolution" angle can work. But in the specific case of Avenged Sevenfold I don't see so many ofputting differences; on an Iron Maiden compilation you put Running Free next to Empire of the Clouds and the uneducated listener goes WTF, with A7X's output, considering how they skipped the screaming years, I don't notice differences so exageated in the sound. I can survive hearing Nightmare right after City of Evil more than I would The Dark Eternal Knight after Another Day.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #914 on: October 25, 2016, 11:31:36 AM »
Uhhh, I'm a little confused now.  So some people can watch the live stream from a VR perspective?

https://loudwire.com/avenged-sevenfold-3d-360-degree-virtual-reality-live-concert-stream/

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #915 on: October 25, 2016, 01:02:12 PM »

Yeah, I didn't really think about this, and the "look at the evolution" angle can work. But in the specific case of Avenged Sevenfold I don't see so many ofputting differences; on an Iron Maiden compilation you put Running Free next to Empire of the Clouds and the uneducated listener goes WTF, with A7X's output, considering how they skipped the screaming years, I don't notice differences so exageated in the sound. I can survive hearing Nightmare right after City of Evil more than I would The Dark Eternal Knight after Another Day.
Agreed, and spookily Iron Maiden was exactly the example I was thinking of. :lol Best of the Beast was what got me into them in the first place.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #916 on: October 25, 2016, 01:12:55 PM »

Agreed, and spookily Iron Maiden was exactly the example I was thinking of. :lol Best of the Beast was what got me into them in the first place.

And for me, it was Edward the Great which was also a chronologically ordered Best of CD that included the Blaze Era.  So that was an odd first few listens not really know why there was this other not nearly as good singer, but it did get me sucked into IM.

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #917 on: October 26, 2016, 07:43:12 PM »
It's a brazilian site for the band (not official), but apparently a reliable source and it says the new cd will be released this friday:
https://avengedsevenfoldbr.com/
With cd picture and tracklist with song's lenghts.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 08:50:29 PM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #918 on: October 26, 2016, 08:02:47 PM »
It says December 9 on RateYourMusic.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #919 on: October 26, 2016, 08:31:58 PM »
Got an invite to the show tomorrow, excited to see what ifs gonna be  :metal

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #920 on: October 27, 2016, 08:21:12 AM »
It's a brazilian site for the band (not official), but apparently a reliable source and it says the new cd will be released this friday:
https://avengedsevenfoldbr.com/
With cd picture and tracklist with song's lenghts.

Yeah that does look pretty damn authentic. That'll be quite the surprise if they announce that tonight.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #921 on: October 27, 2016, 08:32:09 AM »
If they were able to keep a physical release a surprise, I'd be truly shocked.  Maybe they physical album gets released in December and they allow digital downloads tomorrow?  I do wonder now if there will be some announcement tonight at the big show.

Got an invite to the show tomorrow, excited to see what ifs gonna be  :metal

:metal :metal

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #922 on: October 27, 2016, 08:38:03 AM »
If that track listing is correct, they end with a 15 minute song. That would be awesome!

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #923 on: October 27, 2016, 10:12:59 AM »
This is going to be a long album here.  Clocks at over 73 minutes.

01. ‘The Stage’ (8:32)
02. ‘Paradigm’ (4:19)
03. ‘Sunny Disposition’ (6:41)
04. ‘God Damn’ (3:42)
05. ‘Creating God’ (5:35)
06. ‘Angels’ (5:41)
07. ‘Simulation’ (5:31)
08. ‘Higher’ (6:29)
09. ‘Roman Sky’ (5:00)
10. ‘Fermi Paradox’ (6:31)
11. ‘Exist’ (15:39)

https://loudwire.com/avenged-sevenfold-new-album-the-stage-oct-28-release-cover-art-track-listing-revealed/?trackback=tsmclip

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #924 on: October 27, 2016, 11:16:26 AM »
I feel like a complete tool listening to it right now but I couldn't hold back the urge, too hyped. And since I won't be home for most of tomorrow and Saturday + tonight it would be hard to hold off. :(

I hate myself for doing it since they have put so much effort into promoting the live event but I wouldn't be able to make it to that one anyway. *spoilers after having listened to just 1 new song* seems like harsh vocals are back!
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #925 on: October 27, 2016, 11:18:40 AM »
That's really interesting and I'm guessing it has leaked then which pretty much confirms the release IMO.

:metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Now if only I can manage to stay up late tonight...

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #926 on: October 27, 2016, 11:20:45 AM »
Yeah the release has to be tomorrow, I've seen lots of hints towards it and it makes sense that they planned this huge event in anticipation for it as well. I bet they are playing the album in full tonight :metal

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #927 on: October 27, 2016, 11:24:44 AM »
So the countdown on the website is to the live event or the album release?

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #928 on: October 27, 2016, 11:29:39 AM »
That's for the live event. So you and me would have to sacrifice quite some sleep were we to attend it, that's 5 AM for me :lol
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 03:48:32 PM by ariich »

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #929 on: October 27, 2016, 11:33:51 AM »
That's for the live event. So you and me would have to sacrifice quite some sleep were we to attend it, that's 5 AM for me :lol

Yea, that means it'll be 4am for me. Bit of a shame.

I saw your spoilers bit and I'm hyped. Hoping for a huge return to form. Looking forward to this way more than I ever thought I would.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #930 on: October 27, 2016, 01:28:08 PM »
So I'm listening to all the Avenged I have on repeat now  :metal

I still don't have HTTK but I wasn't impressed after one listen so never went back. I've got all the good stuff  :biggrin: maybe I'll give HTTK another go if this new album gets me excited to listen to this band again.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #931 on: October 27, 2016, 05:08:43 PM »
 :omg: :hefdaddy

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #932 on: October 27, 2016, 09:28:39 PM »
All righty, then.  This live stream will be on their Facebook page in a few minutes or through VR on their main website.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #933 on: October 27, 2016, 09:48:24 PM »
So they are performing on top of the Capitol Records Building.  Pretty cool setting, I wonder what it's like in VR cause it looks like there are some digital effects

the setlist so far

https://www.setlist.fm/search?query=avenged+sevenfold

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #934 on: October 27, 2016, 09:52:20 PM »
^^ Yeah, when they started playing Planets and Acid Rain, they got some effects going that looks like well, a planet and raining acid.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #935 on: October 27, 2016, 09:57:46 PM »
And a 30 minute set followed by the announcement of the album being out NOW

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #936 on: October 27, 2016, 09:58:51 PM »
So that was the album release announcement. Not bad, but Shadows' singing was a little off.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #937 on: October 27, 2016, 10:02:31 PM »
Album is out now on Spotify.  I'm listening to it now.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #938 on: October 27, 2016, 10:05:32 PM »
So that was the album release announcement. Not bad, but Shadows' singing was a little off.
Just watched. He wasn't spot on, but it wasn't bad. I have NO IDEA how that dude can sing in that style over the course of a whole concert to start with.

Time to listen to the new album!

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #939 on: October 27, 2016, 10:30:56 PM »
I really thought Voltaic Oceans sounded like a cool album title, but hey, we get a new album now instead.

Gonna listen to it soon
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #940 on: October 27, 2016, 11:15:23 PM »
Oh hey there, Neil deGrasse Tyson.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #941 on: October 28, 2016, 12:19:36 AM »
This is weird.  I don't know what to think about this album.  Usually, I would easily cherry-pick like five songs that I claim are in my fave five, but that's not the case here.  However, I don't think this is a bad album.  This is definitely an album that requires more listens and more focus on certain details of it.

Also, Exist is quite an odd song and that it was not until about 7:30 minutes in where M. Shadows sang.  In terms of rating the album compared to the discography, right now, I'm indecisive, but I still rate the self-titled to be my favorite A7X album.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #942 on: October 28, 2016, 01:01:45 AM »
Interesting album, not at all what I expected. I get sort of a Guns'n'Roses-Use-your-Illusion vibe. Less angry and more mature, but I miss the anger a bit.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #943 on: October 28, 2016, 02:48:57 AM »
Okay. The events leading up to this is seriously the coolest pre-release promotion I've ever seen, that's so original and a fantastic way to announce the album's release, hats off!

Album has really good moments, the songs took a few listens to sink in but it's really solid. Not sure about Exist though.. that's probably my least favorite despite the awesome first half.

EDIT: Oh and Brooks Wackerman is fucking awesome. Definitely my favorite drummer since Rev, and his style on this album reminds me a lot of the drums on Diamonds in the Rough.

Double EDIT: Sorry for the wall of edits :lol but the following picture may indicate a nice surprise:

https://www.reddit.com/r/avengedsevenfold/comments/59sku4/possible_double_album_voltaic_oceans_album_cover/

Suggesting that the left eye contains the first disc 'The Stage' and the left eye contains the second disc "Voltaic Oceans". This is very plausible if you ask me, the name Voltaic Oceans has been played with before the release of The Stage, and I think we may just be in for a double album. :metal
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 03:29:31 AM by Train of Naught »

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #944 on: October 28, 2016, 05:18:29 AM »
The song "Pass the Gravy" isn't on the "The Stage"...