Author Topic: The Avenged Sevenfold Thread (merged)  (Read 163506 times)

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
Re: The Avenged Sevenfold Thread
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2010, 11:00:44 AM »
Remenissions is my favorite song by them :metal
Yeahhh great song, although not my favourite (Second Heartbeat FTW). When I saw them last time (either last year of the year before) that was the only song apart from Unholy Confessions that they played from WTF. I was completely not expecting to hear it, and I went nuts. Me and a friend who plays drums recorded a cover of it a little while back, and i was pretty proud of it as some of it is very tricky on guitar, especially the clean parts, but I lost the recording  :'(

I also agree that WTF is their best album, even the lousy mix doesn't detract from my enjoyment of it. I only wish that Shadow's clean voice on recent albums was more like it was on IWSYTpt1

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2010, 11:05:29 AM »
Remenissions is my favorite song by them :metal
Yeahhh great song, although not my favourite (Second Heartbeat FTW).
Second Heartbeat is the best song on that album!

I only wish that Shadow's clean voice on recent albums was more like it was on IWSYTpt1
I hear you! His clean voice on that song has so much power and presence!!

Well, at least he's not doing the million layered vocals like he did on CoE (that's the only thing I hate about the album).

Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2010, 11:20:35 AM »
as of right now (from nightmare)

1. Fiction
2. Save Me
3. God Hates Us

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2010, 01:51:55 PM »
Is this album worth a listen? (I seriously disliked the self-titled, but liked City of Evil)
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2010, 02:06:14 PM »
Is this album worth a listen? (I seriously disliked the self-titled, but liked City of Evil)

Definitely.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2010, 02:08:30 PM »
Honestly I don't know much about A7X. A couple of years ago,  kid at work gave me copies of the S/T and City Of Evil. Other than the outstanding drumming, nothing really grabbed me. With MP on Nightmare, I figured I'd pick this up. After one listen, I like it a lot. It's good metal, clean vocals, and at times, very melodic.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2010, 02:12:26 PM »
So far, "Nightmare" kinda sucks, but "Welcome to the Family" is excellent.
I still dislike the vocals though.

Also, "Danger Line" was good until the piano part, and "Buried Alive" might as well be called "The Unforgiven IV".
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 02:20:00 PM by zxlkho »
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2010, 02:30:20 PM »
I don't have Nightmare yet but I do have the last 2 and I dug them.  How is the new album.  Is it in the same vein as the last 2?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2010, 02:35:21 PM »
I don't have Nightmare yet but I do have the last 2 and I dug them.  How is the new album.  Is it in the same vein as the last 2?
Yes.

I'm really loving "So Far Away"
I AM A GUY

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2010, 03:08:52 PM »
Holy fucking shit "Save Me" is awesome. Portnoy's presence was really felt on this one.

My rankings (through 1 listen):
Save Me
Fiction
Victim
So Far Away
Welcome to the Family
Tonight the World Dies
Danger Line
Buried Alive
Nightmare
Natural Born Killer
God Hates Us

Waking the Fallen, City of Evil, Nightmare, Sounding the Seventh Trumpet, self-titled

I AM A GUY

Offline OperantChamber

« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2010, 03:09:33 PM »
Avenged Sevenfold To Stream July 31st Concert Live

Avenged Sevenfold, which just released the new "Nightmare" album, has checked in with the following update about streaming an upcoming concert live online:
"In honor of all the fans around the world who have supported us during this difficult year, and throughout our career, we are excited to announce we are broadcasting a special live concert webcast this Saturday, July 31, at 7 PM EST from Syracuse, NY. The webcast can be seen at USTREAM, MYSPACE, FACEBOOK and AVENGEDSEVENFOLD.com
"This week's webcast is timed to coincide with the release of our new album, Nightmare, available in stores starting tonight at Midnight E.S.T. Thank you to all the amazing fans from the bottom of our heart for all the love and support you have always shown us. Enjoy the show."
https://www.metalunderground.com/news/details.cfm?newsid=58308

Offline FabiotheIguana

• While Living In Allegory...
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2010, 03:14:45 PM »
Waking the Fallen
City of Evil
Nightmare/Self-Titled
Seventh Trumpet

Yes, I do, in fact, very much like their Self-Titled. Deal with it, fools.

I won't be able to see the streaming of the concert, I'm in a play and we open this weekend. But I'm sure it'll be around the interweb soon after.
I can't imagine how amazing an experience [SCORE] must of been to see.
Remember the holocaust? Now picture the exact opposite

Cake > Pie

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2010, 03:18:52 PM »
Waking the Fallen is so fucking awesome. About 3-4 years ago it was the only thing I listened to. Their newer releases were a huge disappointment for me.  :(
I AM A GUY

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2010, 03:26:07 PM »
I'm definitely digging this record. SO much better than their self-titled.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2010, 05:07:21 PM »
Their newer releases were a huge disappointment for me.  :(
If you mean their self-titled, then yes, but City of Evil is amazing!! (Apart from the 700 layers of vocals)

Yes, but it's miles better than their self-titled.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2010, 05:11:24 PM »
If you mean their self-titled, then yes, but City of Evil is amazing!! (Apart from the 700 layers of vocals)
Actually I think that this is the reason why I don't like M Shadows. It's not because his voice is bad at all. In fact, I really like his voice on Waking the Fallen. The layers are terrible. Also, I dislike whenever he sings in that low pitched whiny voice.
I AM A GUY

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2010, 05:19:58 PM »
Listening to the album now, and I'm only on the second track. I'll give a first thoughts review once I get through the whole thing. So far I really enjoy the first two tracks. They are very City of Evil-esque.

Also, this may or may not be controversial, but at least with the Rev gone I don't have to sit through his god awful singing. No disrespect to the man, it fucking blows that he died. But his singing was just...bad.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2010, 05:23:10 PM »
The first "when I'm not with you tonight" part sung solely by him in Fiction at the end is annoying, but the rest of his vocals don't bother me at all, the "LET IT BURN" part in particular is awesome.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2010, 05:24:25 PM »
Lat, The Rev's singing is one of the few things I enjoy from this album.  :\
I AM A GUY

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2010, 05:24:56 PM »
Actually I think that this is the reason why I don't like M Shadows. It's not because his voice is bad at all. In fact, I really like his voice on Waking the Fallen. The layers are terrible. Also, I dislike whenever he sings in that low pitched whiny voice.
Like he does at the end of M.I.A.? Ugh I hated that!! Completely ruins a, up to that point, perfect song!

@ Lat: I actually really liked his vocals, WAY more than Syn's and Zacky's vocals and at least he sounded the same live. Syn and Zacky's live vocals are horrible!

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2010, 05:28:18 PM »
Like he does at the end of M.I.A.? Ugh I hated that!! Completely ruins a, up to that point, perfect song!
Yes! That song was awesome and the vocals ruined the ending!
I AM A GUY

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2010, 05:30:24 PM »

@ Lat: I actually really liked his vocals, WAY more than Syn's and Zacky's vocals and at least he sounded the same live. Syn and Zacky's live vocals are horrible!
Those vocals don't bother me all that much. They could be much, much worse if M. Shadow's wasn't by nature just an awesome vocalist. At least he doesn't sound like any of those dime-a-dozen whiney ass metalcore vocalists who sound 15.

And in all honesty, no one else should be singing BUT M. Shadows. He's the singer. The other guys should just stfu and play their instruments.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2010, 05:32:43 PM »
I'm sorry but those vocals at the end of M.I.A. are just horrible, Lat!

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2010, 05:46:05 PM »
"THA FIGHT IT RAGES OHN AND OWAWAWAWAWAWAWAWAAAAAAAWWWWWWWN"

Ugh, I cringe everytime I hear it. But anyway, I think Nightmare is their best album yet, but then again I'm not really a huge fan of most of their stuff.
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline CountVoorhees

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2010, 06:02:08 PM »
Fiction.

holy shit. completely blown away. its easy to say now that hes gone that he was my favorite member of the band, but he really was. And hearing his voice again and his obvious quirky song writing (pinkly smooth, a little piece of heaven) really just left me speechless. :hefdaddy
This.

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2010, 06:10:35 PM »
First reaction song-by-song review:

Nightmare - This has actually grew on me a lot since the singles release. The lyrics are still a bit bothersome, but forgivable. The riffs are rather :metal

Welcome to the Family - Straightforward? Check. Catchy? Check. Pretty cool tune? Check. I like this one, a lot.

Danger Line - Eh, it's alright. As of now, it's definitely a weak point of the album. Though I did like the drum line near the end. Not bad, I can see it being a grower with time.

Buried Alive - I already heard this one when it was released the same way Nightmare had been (a la lyric video on youtube). I did NOT care for it when it was released. It felt very much like, as someone else mentioned, Metallica's The Day That Never Comes. I found it rather boring. Upon this listen, I still don't care for it. The guitar work is rather good however, especially the solo before the heavy part. And speaking of the heavy section, it's alright. M. Shadow's vocal delivery is pretty cool, but still nothing special. This song feels very Metallicay, which isn't necessarily a good thing.

Natural Born Killer - Ah good, the first of the songs I hadn't heard before the release. Okay, first impression from the opening of this song. Bad-fucking-ass. That shit was sweet. *3 minutes later* Okay, this is definitely one of this album's highs. I am very much enjoying this track. And now that it's over, I can safely say that's one of the best so far. Very cool.

So Far Away - I'm not too far into this song and I'm already not caring for it. Sounds like a standard ballad to me with very little replay value. This is easily the weakest part of the album. Not much room for growth either. It also drags for at least a minute too long.

God Hates Us - Okay, here it is. The apparent heaviest track A7X has ever recorded. I really liked that little intro they used, and how it exploded into this monstrous wall of riffs and blastbeats. Fuckin brutal sounding. Now for the screams. The screams worked on Waking the Fallen, but sounded AWFUL on their first album. Now for this song, they sound like a mix of screams with a bit of a growl in there. Not necessarily a death growl, but definitely evil sounding. It works, I can dig it. This song is full of balls. Just how Mike Portnoy likes it.  :metal :metal :metal

Victim - Is that Mike Portnoy doing the soul singing in the beginning? :neverusethis:
Now in all seriousness, this song is...I don't know how to put it. It's good, but different. I feel like I should enjoy this one. And I can see myself liking it. But at the same time, I'm not sure. M. Shadow's shows off some really cool vocal moments in this one, for sure. The guitar is a nice change of pace and the overall tone is pretty cool. Maybe it's just because I want some more "heavy" Sevenfold. I don't know. I like it. Shut the fuck up, Alex. It's good.

Tonight The World Dies - Really? Two ballad like tracks back to back? That always bothers me. Typically, at least for me, I don't like to hear two "slower" tracks next to eachother when listening to an album which is produced by a band within the "metal" genre. Especially when on my first listen, it's a major turn off. And more especially since this track is significantly weaker than it's predecessor. It's...alright. But weak, definitely weak. Primarily in album placement. But it really doesn't keep me interested.

Fiction - Ah, the infamous "controversy" laced track. I like the piano intro. Very nice touch. But now 3 slower tracks in a row? Come on, really? I'm not trying to be too picky, but that's a tad annoying. Oh well. This song is pretty. And Rev's vocals are tolerable compared to his input on the self titled album. Though I'm not a fan of when he sings higher. That does bother me. This song is good though, very good. And the piano adds both beauty and a slight creepy undertone as well. I love it.

Side note - Oh my god. That part where he sings around 3:30 or so. "HGNGNNNNHHHHHNNNHNNHHHNNNMUMBLEMUMBLEMUMBLE". The hell was that?

Save Me - I really, really, really fucking love this one. Easily the highest point on the album next to the ones previously stated. Love the bass intro, love the riffs, drums, vocals and the slight Dream Theater influence I heard people mention earlier. This song is absolutely fantastic.

Overall, I very much enjoy this album. Avenged Sevenfold have only written one bad album and that was their debut. After that, they have hardly disappointed. Yes, the self-titled was rather underwhelming, but it grew on me over time and I grew to love it. This though, is an instant classic for the band. Not quite better than City of Evil, which is their god tier album. I'd have to say it's at least tied with Waking the Fallen for me. It's good. Very, very good. And I can see it sitting even better with me after future listens. Great job A7X, you did good.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2010, 06:11:26 PM »
clerly athey tjust need a new singer, the music is good but icann t stand his awful voice. he couldnt growl back in the day either.

I ave to say though, the new albuk is easily their best, sad that it's pusthumusly from the rev.

Offline CountVoorhees

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2010, 06:12:49 PM »
Go back to the drunk thread.

Offline faemir

« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2010, 06:14:55 PM »
Hey to be fair if i type reaslly carefully I can type fine but it takes ages. I can still think *fine*.

Offline CountVoorhees

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: July 27, 2010, 06:24:24 PM »
:lol Ok then.

Offline faemir

« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2010, 06:29:31 PM »
THat reminds me, the bat county has one of the best solos i've ever heard. The part around ~2:26-2:30 and then at 2:38 are really stadntut for me - unlike lots of shreddy solos that by all means are amazing sounding but a litle bit samey. I think.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #66 on: July 27, 2010, 06:30:22 PM »
Save Me is pwning my soul!!!

Offline faemir

« Reply #67 on: July 27, 2010, 06:33:02 PM »
Don't kill me but the vocals at 2:04 sound like casey crezenso's. *runs*

I gues this belong s in the the dear hunter thread though.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #68 on: July 27, 2010, 06:34:52 PM »
I don't hear it. At all. :lol and anyways, that would be fine, because Casey is awesome

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #69 on: July 27, 2010, 06:41:28 PM »
What the hell is wrong with sounding like Casey Crescenzo?  I wish I did...