Author Topic: The Avenged Sevenfold Thread (merged)  (Read 164730 times)

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
Re: The Avenged Sevenfold Thread
« Reply #245 on: August 05, 2010, 01:04:45 PM »
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #246 on: August 05, 2010, 01:07:54 PM »
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline CountVoorhees

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #247 on: August 05, 2010, 01:10:31 PM »
When did I go to FiveEight?

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #248 on: August 05, 2010, 01:11:47 PM »
Time warp!

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #249 on: August 06, 2010, 12:36:47 AM »
Listened to City of Evil all the way through for the first time in ages last night. Goddamn what a good album. Can't believe I was disappointed with it when it first came out, but then I was hoping for a Waking the Fallen 2. Trashed and Scattered is an awesome track. I think what the new album is missing are the really fast palm-muted notes-then-chords that CoE is riddled with. That type of playing really gives a track energy and urgency, but they seem to be moving away from that style

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #250 on: August 06, 2010, 12:38:00 AM »
Listened to City of Evil all the way through for the first time in ages last night. Goddamn what a good album. Can't believe I was disappointed with it when it first came out, but then I was hoping for a Waking the Fallen 2. Trashed and Scattered is an awesome track. I think what the new album is missing are the really fast palm-muted notes-then-chords that CoE is riddled with. That type of playing really gives a track energy and urgency, but they seem to be moving away from that style
Which is slightly unfortunate, because that's the style I loved so much on CoE. The guitar work on that record is absolutely fantastic.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #251 on: August 06, 2010, 06:53:25 AM »
I was never really into their music.  I dig "Beast and the Harlot".  Didn't really care for any of their other stuff.  With MP playing drums on the new album, I picked it up the first day.  I figured ""Nightmare" sounds pretty cool, what the heck, I'll bite." 

Definitely glad I checked it out.  I don't know that the whole album works for me yet.  But, I really like a lot of it.  "Danger Line" and "Natural Born Killers" stand out as early favorites for me.  Mike's drumming is pretty awesome.  The guitarists sound pretty good.  But, there's something about the guitar sound during some of the riffs that's "off" for me.  The rest of the instruments and songs have a different feel than these parts do.  And, of course, now that I'm writing about it, I can't find a good example.  But, overall a pretty good album.

And, congrats on the #1 first week.  It might not be everyone's cup of tea.  But, it's good to see something with guitars and real drums at the top of the album charts...  Even if it's just for one week.

Offline FabiotheIguana

• While Living In Allegory...
« Reply #252 on: August 07, 2010, 12:24:13 AM »
And, congrats on the #1 first week.  It might not be everyone's cup of tea.  But, it's good to see something with guitars and real drums at the top of the album charts...  Even if it's just for one week.

Very much this
I can't imagine how amazing an experience [SCORE] must of been to see.
Remember the holocaust? Now picture the exact opposite

Cake > Pie

Offline Rafael Guerra

• DTF.org member
  • Personal Text.
« Reply #253 on: August 07, 2010, 12:54:44 AM »
I've been listening to this album the past two weeks. Very solid release, I haven't been so into an album since Black Clouds And Silver Linings. I still think Save Me, Nightmare and Victim are the standouts, but I would add So Far Away to the list. The ending section with the "SO FAR AWWWAYY" chorus is sad, but very strong. Anyways, this is the only A7X album I own and I might purchase City Of Evil at some point, I will read this whole thread and then watch some YouTube and I'll decide.
Crossing bridges in the sky.

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #254 on: August 07, 2010, 01:30:39 AM »
Re-listened to the self-titled album last night, enjoyed it a lot more than I expected. Unbound is still my favourite track from it, I really think it's underrated, but I also really enjoyed Lost. Even the autotune didn't put me off it. But listening to all 3 'new era' Sevenfold albums over the last few nights has made it clear to me that they're gradually slowing down and losing some of the energy that made me like them in the first place. I think they've lost some of the cocky attitude that came with them being very young when they made it big, and although they have legit reasons for the new album to have less swagger than previous releases I think it's the direction they're going to continue to take. The new album is very good, but I think they've lost their sense of fun.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #255 on: August 07, 2010, 03:08:23 AM »
Just listened to the song Nightmare.
Not getting the what the fuzz is about unfortunately, I really wanted to like this cause I've been out of things to listen to lately.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #256 on: August 07, 2010, 06:40:38 AM »
Re-listened to the self-titled album last night, enjoyed it a lot more than I expected. Unbound is still my favourite track from it, I really think it's underrated, but I also really enjoyed Lost. Even the autotune didn't put me off it. But listening to all 3 'new era' Sevenfold albums over the last few nights has made it clear to me that they're gradually slowing down and losing some of the energy that made me like them in the first place. I think they've lost some of the cocky attitude that came with them being very young when they made it big, and although they have legit reasons for the new album to have less swagger than previous releases I think it's the direction they're going to continue to take. The new album is very good, but I think they've lost their sense of fun.

I get what you're saying. But if Metallica can release Death Magnetic after the Loads I would say anything is possible.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #257 on: August 08, 2010, 03:40:52 AM »
Picked up the new album yesterday, on my second listen now and it's good stuff. Similar to the previous album in that the first few songs are good but pretty straightforward, but the style gets more varied between songs after that, which I love.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline CountVoorhees

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #258 on: August 08, 2010, 05:41:14 PM »
NOT THE I COULD
OR THAT I WOULD
LET IT BURN
UNDER MY SKIN
LET IT BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURN

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #259 on: August 08, 2010, 09:39:12 PM »
PIANOPIANOPIANO :metal

Offline CountVoorhees

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #260 on: August 09, 2010, 12:15:11 AM »
:lol

Offline petrucci07

« Reply #261 on: August 10, 2010, 07:22:12 AM »
Just picked up Nightmare, I'll report back later.

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #262 on: August 10, 2010, 06:44:01 PM »
While in a local FYE pre-ordering my copy of Maiden's upcoming album, I heard the store was playing Nightmare in its entirety (I walked in during Fiction). I told my friends we weren't leaving until after Save Me.

Twas awesome.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #263 on: August 11, 2010, 01:18:29 AM »
Funny you should mention Save Me, it's been stuck in my head for hours.

IS IT SOMETHING WE SAID

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #264 on: August 11, 2010, 09:42:42 AM »
Saaaaaaveee meeeeee
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Zeltar

• Have a drink, it'll make me look younger.
« Reply #265 on: August 12, 2010, 07:45:22 PM »
Just realized I haven't posted my thoughts on this album yet. I think it's amazing, definitely on par with City of Evil and Waking the Fallen. Too lazy to write out a full thought process thing but whatever. Buried Alive, Fiction, and Welcome to the Family are my three favorites. God Hates Us is up there too, when I heard the screams I nearly shat my pants. :metal :metal

And I'll admit that I teared up a bit the first time I heard the last verse of Fiction.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #266 on: August 12, 2010, 07:48:19 PM »
If I think City of Evil is good, and think Nightmare is great, what should I get next?

Offline Zeltar

« Reply #267 on: August 12, 2010, 07:50:27 PM »
Definitely Waking the Fallen.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #268 on: August 12, 2010, 10:48:58 PM »
If I think City of Evil is good, and think Nightmare is great, what should I get next?
Definitely Waking the Fallen.

The last album you want to get from them is Sounding the Seventh Trumpet.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Martinman300

« Reply #269 on: August 13, 2010, 03:10:01 AM »
Save me is a7x's best song.

Offline petrucci07

« Reply #270 on: August 13, 2010, 06:17:58 AM »
Ok. My thoughts on the album.
I'm going to be blunt, to say the least.
I think the majority of the songs sound very uninspired, like the band was on autopilot when they were written. Songs like Natural Born Killer and Tonight the World Dies are just boring. There's nothing interesting to keep me listening. However, this might change with more listens.
However, Nightmare is a good song, and Save Me is possibly their best ever song in my opinion.
Hmm.

3/10

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #271 on: August 13, 2010, 07:19:13 AM »
Never really could dig these guys.  I just listened to the title track of the new album, really didn't do anything for me.  Synester did a good solo, I'll give him that, but the song just really sounds quite boring, and every time that annoying bastard says "It's your fucking nightmare," I just cringed.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #272 on: August 13, 2010, 11:42:48 AM »
I like the new album a bit more with each listen, which is a good sign. The title track and Fiction are the obvious standouts, but I really like a few of the others, like Buried Alive (despite being a TOTAL Metallica rip-off), Natural Born Killer and of course Save Us.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Zeltar

« Reply #273 on: August 13, 2010, 11:51:55 AM »
I think the majority of the songs sound very uninspired, like the band was on autopilot when they were written. Songs like Natural Born Killer and Tonight the World Dies are just boring. There's nothing interesting to keep me listening. However, this might change with more listens.
However, Nightmare is a good song, and Save Me is possibly their best ever song in my opinion.
Hmm.

3/10
Really? I feel the exact opposite. I think this album has the fire that they were lacking in the self titled. To me it seems like The Rev's death inspired them to make an angry, emotional album and it works imo.

Offline petrucci07

« Reply #274 on: August 13, 2010, 01:36:33 PM »
Hmm.

3/10
Really? I feel the exact opposite. I think this album has the fire that they were lacking in the self titled. To me it seems like The Rev's death inspired them to make an angry, emotional album and it works imo.

Their self-titled is my favourite of theirs  :lol
I just love it, I think the songwriting is concise and each piece has it's own feel, and the melodies are flippin' great.

Offline petrucci07

« Reply #275 on: August 13, 2010, 01:42:10 PM »
Also, for any guitar players who like A7X, I've just finished a tab-book standard Power tab of Save Me. It'll be up on Ultimate Guitar in a few days.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #276 on: August 13, 2010, 01:54:49 PM »
My favourite is also the self-titled, lots of energy and melody, with a few really excellent songs like Unbound and A Little Piece of Heaven. I like the new one as well, just not quite as much.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #277 on: August 15, 2010, 09:47:44 PM »
Regretting not checking these guys out as soon as MP said he would be recording with them. I've been watching their videos on YouTube constantly for the past few days. A Little Piece of Heaven and Dear God are both awesome songs, which is cool because the style of those songs differ from their usual stuff which also rocks. Albums will be purchased soon.

Offline CountVoorhees

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #278 on: August 15, 2010, 10:02:23 PM »
I'm learning Fiction by ear on keyboard. :metal

Offline TheGlassPrison

« Reply #279 on: August 15, 2010, 11:57:23 PM »
finally bought the new album, pretty solid but the back end is just a little bit too slow (Victim, Tonight the World Dies, and Fiction all blended together for me the first time through). could have used one more speed-metally or at least up-tempo song IMO, especially since CoE is my favorite A7X album. so then i Youtubed "Lost It All" and this seems like the missing piece. it really should have made it on the standard edition of the album.