Author Topic: Do you believe in Jesus Christ?  (Read 44157 times)

Offline kirbywelch92

Do you believe in Jesus Christ?
« on: July 25, 2010, 10:05:49 PM »
This is not a troll, this is not a message, this is not a chain letter. This is a simple question:

Do you as an individual believe in the existence of Jesus Christ? If so, do you believe he was more than human? If not, what do you believe he accomplished?

I ask this question out of the curiosity on what the general idea about Jesus is. This question is open to everyone, Atheists, Christians, Jews, anyone. I ask that you simply answer the question above as honestly as possible.

Thanks.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Do you believe in Jesus Christ?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 10:09:20 PM »
No. It's possible, but in my mind somewhat unlikely.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 10:13:12 PM »
Yes, He died for my sins, rose again on the third day of his death, and ascended to Heaven to the right hand side of God. He is the very son of God and is alive.

He was more than human in the sense that He was fully human and fully God.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 10:15:25 PM »
I guess not.  I've tried (been forced to go to church all my life) but it just doesn't fit...

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 10:23:21 PM »
Jesus was a guy who had a lot of followers. A great guy, I'm sure. He did the Sermon on the Mount or something. He was also executed. The details are warped by religion.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 10:30:59 PM »
Jesus lived but is not who he says, or everyone who is of the Christian faith, says he is. He was a dude who got killed for not being able to shut up.

Offline Adami

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 10:32:02 PM »
I can see this thread going very badly.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 10:33:57 PM »
I can see this thread going very badly.

This aswell.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 10:37:56 PM »
Jesus lived but is not who he says, or everyone who is of the Christian faith, says he is. He was a dude who got killed for not being able to shut up.

You should be banned from posting.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010, 10:40:06 PM »
If I offended you, I am sorry. I was just posting my opinion.

Ok. Jesus lived but was not the messiah, therefore, he is not more than human.

That sounds better.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 10:41:30 PM »
Jesus was a great bowler.

Offline Adami

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2010, 10:42:58 PM »
Jesus was a great bowler.

Are you saying jesus exposed himself to children?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2010, 10:44:04 PM »
Sucks that a potentially good thread already went down the drain. Good job people.

Offline Adami

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2010, 10:48:19 PM »
Sucks that a potentially good thread already went down the drain. Good job people.

No offence, but where could this thread have really gone? The christians say "yes" the non christians say "no". Some non christians start acting holier than thou and try to make the christians defend themselves, it becomes a worthless debate that leads no where in the slightest bit, bosk bans someone and then the thread gets locked.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2010, 10:49:27 PM »
I agree ^^^

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2010, 10:55:42 PM »
Jesus is a pretty cool guy. Eh hunts vampires and didn't afraid of anything.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2010, 10:58:31 PM »
Did he exist? Probably. Was he anything more than human? highly doubtful. Beyond that I have no idea.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2010, 11:01:39 PM »
I fully believe he existed, but not that he was anything more than a friendly dude with some nice ideas about how we should treat eachother.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2010, 11:02:15 PM »
Jesus was an apocalyptic prophet who ended up being wrong about his prophecy. Since then, people have been trying to crowbar his prophecies into something that might work after all.
His teachings on ethics were excellent though.
That's my view of him really.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2010, 11:03:03 PM »
Yes, He died for my sins, rose again on the third day of his death, and ascended to Heaven to the right hand side of God. He is the very son of God and is alive.

Offline kirbywelch92

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2010, 11:14:40 PM »

I expected as much, I expected worse actually. I posted this thread largely because I'm reading Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis and I'd like to get a few ideas for some personal study . Ad for my own answer, I'm with you Jamesman.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2010, 11:28:56 PM »
No.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2010, 11:29:55 PM »

This.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2010, 11:33:16 PM »
No offense, but just repeatedly quoting the Christian mantra doesn't exactly make for a great thread.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline j

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2010, 12:22:08 AM »

I don't know if I agree with the first part of your post, at least as a summation of who Jesus was, but I definitely agree with this.

He almost certainly existed, although I suspect his life, person, accomplishments, etc. have been seriously "modified" since his death, probably for reasons innumerable.  Of course there is the possibility that he was the son of God, but from my perspective, it seems highly unlikely.

-J

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2010, 02:23:00 AM »
he is either the world's greatest liar, the world's greatest lunatic or the son of God...I vote for the latter

PS...I think that is from CS lewis

Offline CountVoorhees

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2010, 02:55:40 AM »
Jesus was an apocalyptic prophet who ended up being wrong about his prophecy. Since then, people have been trying to crowbar his prophecies into something that might work after all.
That's my view of him really.

rumborak

This.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2010, 03:39:25 AM »
Did he exist? Probably. Was he anything more than human? highly doubtful. Beyond that I have no idea.

I agree. I don't really doubt that Jesus Christ existed, but I'm questioning some of his wondrous deeds.
I also agree with rumbo on Jesus' teachings. They're pretty elementary compared to today's standards, but probably were ahead of their time 2.000 years ago.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2010, 04:06:33 AM »

No offence, but where could this thread have really gone? The christians say "yes" the non christians say "no". Some non christians start acting holier than thou and try to make the christians defend themselves, it becomes a worthless debate that leads no where in the slightest bit, bosk bans someone and then the thread gets locked.

It could...wait for it...have intelligent discussion. Is that really beyond the scope of this forum? I know what you're saying though, and it sucks. :\
No offense, but just repeatedly quoting the Christian mantra doesn't exactly make for a great thread.

rumborak

Elementary question gets a few of the same responses. So what? I'm sure we'll all find something to debate.

Offline In The Name Of Rudess

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2010, 04:32:41 AM »
I believe Jesus Christ existed. However, since I'm a buddhist I don't believe in God (or at least not God as Christians define him) so I do not believe he was the son of God. I share my views of Christ with Tenzin Gyatso (14th Dalai Lama) and many other Buddhist scholars. He believed that Christ was a human being who was enlightened, but stayed on earth to dedicate his life to the welfare of other human beings (a bodhisattva), like Buddha. In fact, Buddha and Jesus have a lot in common. They both radically changed the way people thought about religion. Many of their teachings and analogies (though certainly not all) coincide. For example, Jesus emphasized non-violence, turning the other cheek as did Buddha. Jesus also lived simply and taught through parables as did Buddha. Jesus emphasized the need to be active in the world but to also be not of the world. Buddha taught the need for non-attachment. In short, I think Jesus showed a common humanity with important figures from other religions, but found his own expression of it.

However, I'm not saying Jesus was a buddhist or a Muslim. Those who see other religions in Jesus seek to find unity, to humanize traditions. Unity however for us humans can only come from an acceptance of, even a celebration of, differences as well as similarities, something Jesus was adamant about.

Although I think Jesus his original teachings remain valuable, they have been used for personal gain and subjected to random interpretation throughout the centuries. Also, severe misconduct of Jesus's teachings by important figures in the Christian religion (I think everyone knows what I'm talking about) has put his teachings in bad light.

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
  • Living in the pupil of 1,000 eyes.
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2010, 04:53:08 AM »
he is either the world's greatest liar, the world's greatest lunatic or the son of God...I vote for the latter

PS...I think that is from CS lewis

No, it's from Josh McDowell's More Than a Carpenter.  He has a chapter in that book called "Lord, Liar, or Lunatic?"

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2010, 04:57:13 AM »
I believe Jesus Christ existed. However, since I'm a buddhist I don't believe in God (or at least not God as Christians define him) so I do not believe he was the son of God. I share my views of Christ with Tenzin Gyatso (14th Dalai Lama) and many other Buddhist scholars. He believed that Christ was a human being who was enlightened, but stayed on earth to dedicate his life to the welfare of other human beings (a bodhisattva), like Buddha. In fact, Buddha and Jesus have a lot in common. They both radically changed the way people thought about religion. Many of their teachings and analogies (though certainly not all) coincide. For example, Jesus emphasized non-violence, turning the other cheek as did Buddha. Jesus also lived simply and taught through parables as did Buddha. Jesus emphasized the need to be active in the world but to also be not of the world. Buddha taught the need for non-attachment. In short, I think Jesus showed a common humanity with important figures from other religions, but found his own expression of it.

However, I'm not saying Jesus was a buddhist or a Muslim. Those who see other religions in Jesus seek to find unity, to humanize traditions. Unity however for us humans can only come from an acceptance of, even a celebration of, differences as well as similarities, something Jesus was adamant about.

Although I think Jesus his original teachings remain valuable, they have been used for personal gain and subjected to random interpretation throughout the centuries. Also, severe misconduct of Jesus's teachings by important figures in the Christian religion (I think everyone knows what I'm talking about) has put his teachings in bad light.

This is a nice sentiment, but I'm not sure the Jesus of the bible would agree with you, as he exclusively claimed to be God himself, and that the only way to heaven is through him.

Offline In The Name Of Rudess

« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2010, 05:02:52 AM »

This is a nice sentiment, but I'm not sure the Jesus of the bible would agree with you, as he exclusively claimed to be God himself, and that the only way to heaven is through him.

"Many of their teachings and analogies (though certainly not all) coincide".  :smiley:

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2010, 05:23:19 AM »
I meant about the whole unity thing.  I like the sentiment myself, but it's one that's not shared by most Christians, and certainly isn't supported by the Bible, which claims exclusivity quite often.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2010, 05:40:44 AM »
Yup. He was crucified for challenging the conventions of his time, and almost everything he taught it still very relevant.