Author Topic: Thin Lizzy...and Gary Moore  (Read 12594 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Thin Lizzy...and Gary Moore
« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2011, 01:36:49 PM »
That is a nice list, but I couldn't have a best of Thin Lizzy list without It's Getting Dangerous or Dancing In The Moonlight.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2011, 01:39:58 PM »
I would also like to add my approval of Sun Goes Down and Holy War on that list.  Easily two of Lizzy's best songs.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2011, 02:06:23 PM »
every Thin Lizzy song is so special..Phil was one of the greatest writers, poets and frontmen in Rock History..His voice is beyond epic..what a voice
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2011, 02:20:36 PM »
every Thin Lizzy song is so special..Phil was one of the greatest writers, poets and frontmen in Rock History..His voice is beyond epic..what a voice
I had to go out today, so I listened to Renegade (a TAC Top 25!). Every song was a story. Phil was such a great songwriter, you just get glued to the story and how everything will end up.
BTW, I love No One Told Him, a great underrated song.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mladen

« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2011, 02:43:43 PM »
Yep, Renegade is a really good album. Angel of death, Leave this town, It's getting dangerous and title track are just awesome, and the rest of the album rocks as well. There are some experimental songs in there that I also enjoy, just a nicely balanced record.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #75 on: January 05, 2011, 03:39:07 PM »
^^^^^ AWESOME list

Lowdz did you get that new "Still Live" Philly show from 1978 release? that came out last year? it has an epic version of Opium Trail on it..the whole CD is MAGIC

Not got that, no. John Norum of Europe did a great version of Opium Trail on his Face The Truth album, and also he did Don't Believe A Word after leaving Europe.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #76 on: January 05, 2011, 05:16:54 PM »
I had to go out today, so I listened to Renegade (a TAC Top 25!). Every song was a story. Phil was such a great songwriter, you just get glued to the story and how everything will end up.

I know...Phil, the hopeless casanova.. the cowboy, the Rocker..and sadly the tragic figure who spoke openly of his own demise in many songs.
The man is the true legend of Rock, he has no equal in so many ways...
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2011, 05:20:07 PM »
2. It's Getting Dangerous https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rytGCB3objk&feature=PlayList&p=6FD7CE59AC66ACBD&playnext=1&index=49

You know, this song sounds like the template for the Bruce Springsteen band... the vibe, vocals and lyrics.  You can also hear a bit of Dire Straits in here.

edit:  and Dancing In The Moonlight has a serious Van Morrison vibe, finger snapping, saxophone and all..

Van and Phil were friends.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #78 on: January 05, 2011, 05:27:23 PM »

I know...Phil, the hopeless casanova.. the cowboy, the Rocker..and sadly the tragic figure who spoke openly of his own demise in many songs.
I was thinking the same thing that he was a lyrical Walter Mitty.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #79 on: January 05, 2011, 05:36:06 PM »
^^^^^ AWESOME list

Lowdz did you get that new "Still Live" Philly show from 1978 release? that came out last year? it has an epic version of Opium Trail on it..the whole CD is MAGIC

Not got that, no. John Norum of Europe did a great version of Opium Trail on his Face The Truth album, and also he did Don't Believe A Word after leaving Europe.

Lowdz,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fIEh-g3TQo
here is the verion from the CD release "Still Dangerous"

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #80 on: January 05, 2011, 05:37:24 PM »

I was thinking the same thing that he was a lyrical Walter Mitty.

I cant think of anyone who equals him

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #81 on: January 05, 2011, 05:44:23 PM »
Maybe Phil Mogg..even though I'd still rank Lynott ahead of him.

Many great parallels between UFO (a TAC fave) and Thin Lizzy.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #82 on: January 05, 2011, 05:51:00 PM »
Maybe Phil Mogg..even though I'd still rank Lynott ahead of him.

Many great parallels between UFO (a TAC fave) and Thin Lizzy.

I agree! UFO was great , but Id again agree Lynott is unparelled STAR.  The word Rockstar has Lynotts picture in it in the Dictionary..LOL

TAC , did you ever read the Phil Bio Book? "The Rocker" by Mark Putterford, good read. its hard to think of bands in Rock not influenced by Lynott..I mean the guy even played with the Sex Pistols..and could write a sone like Old Town

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #83 on: January 05, 2011, 07:33:00 PM »
I'll have to check that out! Thanks.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #84 on: January 05, 2011, 08:03:07 PM »
Don't know if it's been said already, but Thin Lizzy's playing some shows overseas this year. Maybe some United States dates eventually?

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #85 on: January 06, 2011, 08:41:09 AM »
I'll have to check that out! Thanks.

You're welcome!

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #86 on: January 06, 2011, 08:41:52 AM »
Don't know if it's been said already, but Thin Lizzy's playing some shows overseas this year. Maybe some United States dates eventually?

cool, I wonder who is currently in the band..I think Sykes left?