Author Topic: MP Interview at Blistering.com  (Read 8637 times)

Offline The Letter M

Re: MP Interview at Blistering.com
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2010, 11:35:54 PM »
If LaBrie left, MP would probably replace him with some sort of growling vocalist or MP would take over vocal duties at which point I'd stop listening  :D

I more of just posted the interview because people over at MP's forum and on his facebook were confused as to what MP meant and also some people (including myself) overanalyzed it.

If he replaced LaBrie as vocalist, then his prior self-analogy to Phil Collins would be taken a step further... in a direction most likely not to be well received.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2010, 12:16:58 AM »
For what it's worth, I think quality-wise DT is more consistent when they get proggy, but in terms of what sells records and generates a fanbase, the metal is definitely far more responsible. I don't know why people are dismissing the interviewer and MP out-of-hand on that point.
I'd say it's because at no point when discussing the metal side or whatever do they mention record sales or even hint at it being what they're talking about.

But what about:

"The prog fan base is very limited. If you look at Progression Magazine or go to NEARFest, the numbers are low. I don’t mean to disrespect the bands, but if you look at bands like The Flower Kings or Spock’s Beard, they play for a few hundred people a night, whereas because Dream Theater is so footed in the metal scene, we play to thousands a night. So I think the metal community and the metal audience is what propelled us beyond the underground prog world. And I love the scene and a big supporter of it. My Transatlantic project is rooted directly in it, but I think Dream Theater transcends that altogether. So we need a label like Roadrunner to keep us going."

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2010, 12:30:40 AM »
If LaBrie left, MP would probably replace him with some sort of growling vocalist or MP would take over vocal duties at which point I'd stop listening  :D

I more of just posted the interview because people over at MP's forum and on his facebook were confused as to what MP meant and also some people (including myself) overanalyzed it.

If he replaced LaBrie as vocalist, then his prior self-analogy to Phil Collins would be taken a step further... in a direction most likely not to be well received.

-Marc.

Yup, pretty much.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2010, 12:37:00 AM »
For what it's worth, I think quality-wise DT is more consistent when they get proggy, but in terms of what sells records and generates a fanbase, the metal is definitely far more responsible. I don't know why people are dismissing the interviewer and MP out-of-hand on that point.
I'd say it's because at no point when discussing the metal side or whatever do they mention record sales or even hint at it being what they're talking about.

But what about:

"The prog fan base is very limited. If you look at Progression Magazine or go to NEARFest, the numbers are low. I don’t mean to disrespect the bands, but if you look at bands like The Flower Kings or Spock’s Beard, they play for a few hundred people a night, whereas because Dream Theater is so footed in the metal scene, we play to thousands a night. So I think the metal community and the metal audience is what propelled us beyond the underground prog world. And I love the scene and a big supporter of it. My Transatlantic project is rooted directly in it, but I think Dream Theater transcends that altogether. So we need a label like Roadrunner to keep us going."

It's lovely. But that's Portnoy talking and has nothing to do with what we're talking about. If I interview Michael Jordan or something and start it off by saying that black people are the superior race on earth, and then he talks about sports, it's a huge leap to assume I meant sports in regards to my quote.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2010, 12:44:02 AM »

But what about:

I think part of that has to do with being able to financially support a large North American tour where they seem to do the most touring these days. If TFK or SB had the money and label support that DT has (and have had in years/tours past), they could probably get a good sizable concert crowd. I think it also comes down to the point that DT was at it's peak when bands like TFK and SB were just being discovered, so they had about 6-7 years ahead of them.

I also don't think the prog fan base is as limited as he makes it seem. It's just that certain bands don't have as much of a reach as others. Not all prog-metal or prog-related metal bands are playing to big crowds, and not all metal fans "propel" their favorite bands to crowds of thousands a night. Also, if he believes the "metal-side" of DT has helped them push to get more notice and bigger audiences, I'd almost think it was because, as a fan of music, he believe he's in touch with what the DT fans want, so they make music that they will most likely enjoy. And apparently it worked so well to a point where their last album charted in at No. 6 on the Billboard 200 (with their prior album coming in at No. 19, not too shabby). But are they making the music they think their fans want, or is it the music they really want to make for themselves?

Another thing about the prog fan base is that some prog bands who really make music for themselves often have varying opinions with each album. Take The Flower Kings for example - in a recent thread at Progressiveears, some TFK fans have noted the differing opinions on the band's last album, and how fans don't always normally "accept" and "praise" whatever they put out because the band is willing to experiment and try so many different things with each record. As for DT, a recent thread around here revealed that they weren't willing to experiment because they didn't think the fans would like it or accept it. There's no risk-taking any more and perhaps they have become comfortable with putting out music they feel the fans will automatically appreciate with little resistance, music geared toward their metal fans that fill their concert audiences.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2010, 12:50:47 AM »
Are we discussing what they were talking about in the interview or about what the people in this thread were talking about, because it seems like it's changing? 

But that's Portnoy talking and has nothing to do with what we're talking about.

Because, to me, Portnoy's quote was clearly him saying that DT's metal side has a greater hand in their popularity right now.  Not saying I agree or disagree, just that it seems like that is his (and the interviewer's) viewpoint.

Online Adami

« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2010, 01:05:18 AM »
Eh..when I say "they" I meant whoever wrote it, not portnoy. The quote we're all fussing over isn't by portny or in response to portnoy, it's just something the writer threw in there. Thus, nothing portnoy said has anything to do with it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2010, 01:10:20 AM »
I just hope that since the metal DT has helped them gain popularity, they don't stick to just plain metal. Like the past two albums have had metal songs on them. BC&SL was a perfect balance, I just hope they continue balancing.

I just think the interview guy was a moron and was putting his own opinions in there
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2010, 01:40:53 AM »
Have they played Raw Dog live yet?
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2010, 01:48:57 AM »
Have they played Raw Dog live yet?
No. I don't think they will for awhile
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Online Adami

« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2010, 01:55:17 AM »
I hope they don't. The intro is cool, but holy queef does that song drag on and on and on.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2010, 01:56:11 AM »
I hope they don't. The intro is cool, but holy queef does that song drag on and on and on.
Every concert needs a piss break though.

When I saw Van Halen in 2004, Sammy's solo was the bathroom break moment
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Online Adami

« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2010, 01:58:28 AM »

Yes it does, luckily they tend to throw in at least 100000 jam sections per concert now a days.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Slain

« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2010, 02:21:02 AM »

Yes it does, luckily they tend to throw in at least 100000 jam sections per concert now a days.

I've always thought that the jam sessions were fun to watch live, especially if you're actually there.
Quote from: MarlaHooch
Just amazing.  DT should count their lucky stars that some of their fans are at this level of unconditional cult worship.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2010, 02:22:42 AM »
First 3 minutes are awesome, then it drags on I agree.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online Adami

« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2010, 02:22:58 AM »
They can be, but are often not, for me anyway. There's only so long I can deal with Petrucci doing a bluesy solo or JRs chords, or a shred match between them. But once in a while, they are unique.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2010, 02:31:31 AM »
They can be, but are often not, for me anyway. There's only so long I can deal with Petrucci doing a bluesy solo or JRs chords, or a shred match between them. But once in a while, they are unique.
The Solitary Shell Jam 2009 was quite entertaining. Especially when Mike walked around the drumset like back in 2004 when he did a drum solo
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Online Adami

« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2010, 02:35:20 AM »
You know, I still don't remember that jam. Everyone brings it up, it must have been cool, but I have no idea what it sounds like.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2010, 05:27:22 AM »
The interviewer is definitely not a moron, and seems to be quite familair with Dream Theater. The intros to pieces like this are usually written to get the intended audience to read more. Obviously the writer of the intro (presumably the interviewer) has this in mind. He's touting DT's metal side in order to get his metal audience interested. I mean, is Dream Theater's set really "brutal"??

That aside, in just 15 questions, he did get MP to speak very candidly. Yes, nothing his nesecarily new, but it certainly is unfiltered.

His observations on Derek was interesting. Derek did a lot for this band, and it really had nothing to do with music. MP understands that.

His take on James...well, MP has always seemed to be a little conflicted when it comes to JLB. He seems to have a love/hate relationship with him, and you could always pick up on that over the years. I do think MP does respect James' ability. James comes accross sometimes, or is portrayed, as very aloof, and maybe he's in some kind of "no man's" land in this band. But any singer would be. I thought that back in the I&W days watching them on stage. But my respect for James grows every year he's in this band. Clearly MP is not taking a shot at him in this interview, but the comment can easily be interpreted in many different ways.

..and as far as prog vs metal side. Don't forget, this band was built on classic 70's Rush and early Iron Maiden. Dream Theater is always a hard rock band first, which incorporates many other influences. And that's when they're at their best.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2010, 06:18:42 AM »
I agree with Tac

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2010, 07:10:45 AM »
Meh, it's been like two pages and no one's said it, lemme give this a shot.

Nothing MP says is necessarily wrong or unreasonable. Of course your tastes in 2009 aren't the same as your tastes in 1989. MP's gotten into a lot of heavier music, and would like to play in a band with a vocalist who can handle throatier and more aggressive singing styles. But as much as he likes to try pushing the band in that direction, I highly doubt he would ditch JLB to turn Dream Theater into something it isn't. And do some of you guys really think MP would try being DT's lead vocalist? Don't be silly.

As for Myung, to be honest, I don't think he's just shy or quiet. Watch the Madison Square Garden backstage video. When the whole band gets excited about Petrucci's birthday, he just sits in the back doing bass exercises. I'm not judging him as a person, he seems nice and even headed, but he's closed off from the world in a powerful way. Is it so hard to believe that he's naturally let himself get more and more closed off from the writing process? Especially when it comes to lyrics. Unless the conversation about presenting them with vocal melodies was far more contentious than we realize (which is possible) I find it hard to believe he's being explicitly or implicitly disallowed from writing lyrics.

But on the other side of the coin, it probably sucks as JLB or JM when you hear the driving force of your band say publicly that he's perfectly comfortable with you having very small roles in its creative output, and for him to imply that the reason the band works is because you play your tracks in the studio and don't get in the way of the creativity. It's a bummer as a fan to see Portnoy say that. If only because, if we want to talk about the quality of the music, JM's bass tracks on BCSL were sloppy. Something went wrong, and that something was very likely apathy toward the bass tracks. In a professional band, that shouldn't happen.

Yeah, everyone needs to play a role. While it's very possibly for the best that JLB isn't involved in the music, Elements of Persuasion proves that he knows his voice better than anyone. Why not let him use that to the band's advantage.

And as for the music; MP likes to work as the head arranger. If you listen to Suspended Animation, you can tell JP is primarily responsible for the Dream Theater sound. Rudess is definitely the number two melody and riff writer. In the midst of these personalities, maybe JM is one too many people in the mix. But I also get a powerful feeling that MP/JP/JR have developed such a tightly knit process because they enjoy it moreso than because it has to be. MP talks about how much less tension there is in the band than before, but maybe he's underrating the effectiveness of creative conflict to produce better material.

But whatever. It's not my band, and as a whole BCSL is either the best or second best album they've made with Rudess. Who am I really to judge?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 07:23:44 AM by ReaPsTA »
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2010, 07:43:10 AM »
MP talks about how much less tension there is in the band than before, but maybe he's underrating the effectiveness of creative conflict to produce better material.

This is a good point.
I believe Dream Team was saying the same thing.

I find it amusingly ironic that he comments on the comfort zone the band is currently in chemistry-wise, then acknowledges that it was the turmoil and backs-against-the-wall mentality that contributed to the success of arguably their 2 best albums (Images & Scenes). Just a little tidbit I noticed  ;D.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2010, 05:28:57 AM »
My comments can be summed up in one sentence: I want MP to respect and appreciate JLB more than he seems to.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2010, 06:34:39 PM »
I would be happy if they took advantage of what James can do. I know MP seems worried about what James can do live, but the studio albums as historical documents really miss an huge opportunity with marginalizing James' range.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2010, 07:02:02 PM »
Er... I like his voice in studio albums much more now... I thought he completely killed some moments on the old albums with the ridiculous high notes, shows talent, sure, but doesn't do much for the overall feel...

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2010, 09:05:25 PM »
The high notes are the best them.

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: July 26, 2010, 09:17:55 PM »
My comments can be summed up in one sentence: I want MP to respect and appreciate JLB more than he seems to.
I'm pretty sure that in the CiM documentary he says that you could rather love him or hate him, but he is undeniably an excellent vocalist.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2010, 07:04:46 AM »
I would be happy if they took advantage of what James can do. I know MP seems worried about what James can do live, but the studio albums as historical documents really miss an huge opportunity with marginalizing James' range.

Well said.