Author Topic: MP Interview at Blistering.com  (Read 8634 times)

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
MP Interview at Blistering.com
« on: July 22, 2010, 01:36:35 AM »
https://www.blistering.com/fastpage/fpengine.php/link/1/templateid/19930/tempidx/5/menuid/3

This interview has some mixed reactions from some people on MP's forum as well as his facebook. Mainly towards his views on vocals nowadays. I myself had to re-read it a couple of times.

What are your thoughts on the interview? Sorry if this has been posted on here already.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: MP Interview at Blistering.com
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 01:52:29 AM »
At least he admits that the LTE group is writing everything these days. I guess that clears it up.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 01:54:40 AM »
At least he admits that the LTE group is writing everything these days. I guess that clears it up.
It also sounds like to me that MP won't let that change. I don't like to be pessimistic, but MP's control issues can depress me in way's Eddie Van Halen can't  :D
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 01:55:56 AM »
Nothing new or unexpected. I'm surprised people are getting upset over his answers, he never really said anything different. Yeah, it kinda sounded that he would kinda like to change the singer but won't because the fans won't accept it and then won't work out with the band but I doubt he really wants to do it.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 02:03:45 AM »
The “metal” Dream Theater is where it’s at. Let’s not kid ourselves – the band’s proggy side is sometimes hit or miss, but when they’re out there, ripping it out, tearing up the fretboard (keytar included for Jordan Rudess), DT is hard to top

WHAT

For me, its DT's metal side that is hit or miss, not their prog side.

Offline Adami

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 02:13:21 AM »
Eh, all I got from it was that JLBs style of singing isn't something he listens to in other bands anymore.

However it does lend credence to the theory that MP is more into writing fun music for them to play and for him, vocals play a distance second to being entertained while playing the drums.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 04:51:30 AM »
The “metal” Dream Theater is where it’s at. Let’s not kid ourselves – the band’s proggy side is sometimes hit or miss, but when they’re out there, ripping it out, tearing up the fretboard (keytar included for Jordan Rudess), DT is hard to top

WHAT

Me too.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 05:11:12 AM »
Nothing new or unexpected.

This exactly.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 05:35:57 AM »
It also sounds like to me that MP won't let that change. I don't like to be pessimistic, but MP's control issues can depress me in way's Eddie Van Halen can't  :D
A lot of people look at John Myung’s lack of lyrical contributions the last 10 years and they’ll hold it against me or John Petrucci and that’s not the case. That’s John Myung. That’s the way he is, if he doesn’t want to contribute, he doesn’t have to. The same with James [LaBrie, vocals].

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 06:28:19 AM »

WHAT

This. Also, did anyone else catch the massive fail in the article? DT working on their 12th studio album? lol wut

Overall everything that wasn't from MP on that entire interview was just an utter fail.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 06:52:33 AM »
Yeah, saw this yesterday and had several  :facepalm: moments. First off all, the interviewer is a moron. The prog side is 100% "hit", with the metal side being 50/50 hit-and-miss. Also, he must be counting the Change of Seasons EP as an album.

Regarding MP's ill-advised comments on James' vocals: saying he's not into "that style of vocals" anymore, does he mean the awesome vocals James committed to tape on the last 9 albums? So he's not into awesome vocals? I hope he doesn't mean James' upper register because he hasn't been allowed to use it for the last 3 albums.

That's OK, I'll take Halford, Dickinson, Plant, Gillian, and Labrie over his favorite crap modern "vocalists" any day and 99 times on Sunday.  :\

I'll tell you what, DT is going to lose at least 3 fans in my household if he keeps pushing James into singing in a style that MP himself prefers rather than what is actually, you know, GOOD. I'm a big fan of MP, but man I really hate his comments on James' singing. I think he utterly forgets how much credit James deserves for the explosion of Pull Me Under and the band's rise to fame. Does he think it would have happened if Dominici had remained with the group? I don't think I'm overreacting here because MP says this stuff ALL THE TIME, and James himself must be sick of it.

Next topic: I find it amusingly ironic that he comments on the comfort zone the band is currently in chemistry-wise, then acknowledges that it was the turmoil and backs-against-the-wall mentality that contributed to the success of arguably their 2 best albums (Images & Scenes). Just a little tidbit I noticed  ;D.

Lastly, his comment on the prog fan base being very limited: well MP, the prog fanbase could expand further if you stopped doing stuff like TDEN and your vocal section in ANTR. What old-time prog fans are going to listen to that?

Edit: I don't mean to come off as critical of MP because it wasn't my intention. I really am a big fan of both his drumming and dedication to the band & fans.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 07:46:59 AM by Dream Team »

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 08:35:20 AM »
TDEN is a very good song...Okay?!    >:(

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 09:07:56 AM »
Eh, his underlying message regarding JLB is basically the same it has been for years:

"He has been our vocalist for so long, we are basically stuck with him now, even though I would like to get a singer who is more 'modern'-sounding."

And, as always, a token shot at Kevin Moore. :\ :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 10:01:20 AM »
TDEN is a very good song...Okay?!    >:(
It's OK for people to disagree.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 10:04:21 AM »
Okay, I'm fine with that.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2010, 12:09:52 PM »
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2010, 12:14:30 PM »
Eh, his underlying message regarding JLB is basically the same it has been for years:

"He has been our vocalist for so long, we are basically stuck with him now, even though I would like to get a singer who is more 'modern'-sounding."

And, as always, a token shot at Kevin Moore. :\ :lol
ib4DTdoeshasLaBriedometalcorestylesingingonnextalbum
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2010, 12:20:01 PM »
I think James would leave before agreeing to destroy his vocal cords.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2010, 12:25:50 PM »
Well, Portnoy did say he wanted a more "Modern" singer and Metalcore is the current fad in the metal scene, so it wouldn't surprise me if he made LaBrie do that at this point.

Offline Adami

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2010, 12:28:59 PM »
Well, Portnoy did say he wanted a more "Modern" singer and Metalcore is the current fad in the metal scene, so it wouldn't surprise me if he made LaBrie do that at this point.

Considering that portnoy does the "yelly growly" vocals, then I'd just say he'll want to do more vocals on the albums.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2010, 12:30:05 PM »

Considering that portnoy does the "yelly growly" vocals, then I'd just say he'll want to do more vocals on the albums.
I'm not sure what would be worse, to be honest.  :|

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2010, 12:30:07 PM »
I really like this necklace.... :( DAMMIT MIKE!

Offline robwebster

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2010, 12:32:45 PM »
Yeah, that is probably why he's giving his own vocals more prominence as of late. 'Cause he likes them more.

Got a feeling that examining it too much might be taking it a little too seriously, though. 'Sides, surely it's a good thing that he's leaving his own personal tastes out of it. He's doing prog by choice, and to satisfy the fans. He's trying to make music for the fans rather than music for him. Kinda goes against huge swathes of the complaints.

Offline j

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2010, 01:04:39 PM »

WHAT

Yeah, I lol'ed when I read that.

As for the rest of the interview, it's basically just Portnoy re-phrasing his usual answers to the questions he's always asked.  Although I did come away from it with a more negative vibe regarding his comments about LaBrie, for what it's worth.  I just think that there's absolutely no reason for a mature person to publicly mention some of that critical stuff he says about his bandmates, even if true.  What good can come of that?

-J

Offline robwebster

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2010, 01:12:21 PM »
As for the rest of the interview, it's basically just Portnoy re-phrasing his usual answers to the questions he's always asked.  Although I did come away from it with a more negative vibe regarding his comments about LaBrie, for what it's worth.  I just think that there's absolutely no reason for a mature person to publicly mention some of that critical stuff he says about his bandmates, even if true.  What good can come of that?

-J
I did think that. I'm glad he said it as it's interesting to hear about it, but if I were James LaBrie and I stumbled across that I'd be a little bit miffed.

Does make me wonder who he'd replace him with, in his ideal world.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2010, 02:11:46 PM »
Wait, am I missing something here? He remarked that he's not so much into that style of vocals (as in, when he listens to other bands) as he used to be, but stated pretty emphatically that James is the right voice for the band. Is this yet another example of people making ludicrous assumptions over almost nothing?

I'll agree that the little shot at KM was a bit unnecessary though.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Adami

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2010, 02:13:19 PM »
Wait, am I missing something here? He remarked that he's not so much into that style of vocals (as in, when he listens to other bands) as he used to be, but stated pretty emphatically that James is the right voice for the band. Is this yet another example of people making ludicrous assumptions over almost nothing?

I'll agree that the little shot at KM was a bit unnecessary though.

So you don't agree that he's implicitly stating that he is going to fire James LaBrie for not being cool enough and is planning on replacing him with a genetic clone of himself?

Huh....
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2010, 05:29:34 PM »
For what it's worth, I think quality-wise DT is more consistent when they get proggy, but in terms of what sells records and generates a fanbase, the metal is definitely far more responsible. I don't know why people are dismissing the interviewer and MP out-of-hand on that point.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Adami

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2010, 06:00:56 PM »
For what it's worth, I think quality-wise DT is more consistent when they get proggy, but in terms of what sells records and generates a fanbase, the metal is definitely far more responsible. I don't know why people are dismissing the interviewer and MP out-of-hand on that point.

I'd say it's because at no point when discussing the metal side or whatever do they mention record sales or even hint at it being what they're talking about.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2010, 08:53:00 PM »
Due to MP's personality, I tend to take a lot of the things he says with a grain of salt. That isn't to say I don't respect him, I just don't really take much of what he says to heart. He strikes me as someone who does not think before he speaks. Then again, I don't know him personally, and I could be dead wrong there. I'm not judging him. All I'm saying is...we all know his personality. So why are we getting all fired up over one little comment he made on the spur of the moment in one random interview?
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Slain

« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2010, 09:27:21 PM »
This just makes me wonder... who would he replace Labrie with? If he doesn't like that "style" of vocals, there's no way he could be replaced, and have that replacement be able to sing off of any of their old stuff. But I think it's more likely that Labrie would leave, than him being kicked out
Quote from: MarlaHooch
Just amazing.  DT should count their lucky stars that some of their fans are at this level of unconditional cult worship.

Offline Adami

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2010, 09:54:30 PM »
This just makes me wonder... who would he replace Labrie with? If he doesn't like that "style" of vocals, there's no way he could be replaced, and have that replacement be able to sing off of any of their old stuff. But I think it's more likely that Labrie would leave, than him being kicked out

We have had the "who can replace LaBrie" discussion like 10000 times. No one.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Slain

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2010, 10:55:54 PM »

We have had the "who can replace LaBrie" discussion like 10000 times. No one.

I didn't say can, ability wise, I was wondering who Mike would choose if he had a choice now
Quote from: MarlaHooch
Just amazing.  DT should count their lucky stars that some of their fans are at this level of unconditional cult worship.

Offline Adami

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2010, 10:57:04 PM »
No one knows, no one has any idea. Like I've said, we've already done the whole "fantasy dream theater singer" thing a lot. You can search for the threads, they're around.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2010, 11:26:29 PM »
If LaBrie left, MP would probably replace him with some sort of growling vocalist or MP would take over vocal duties at which point I'd stop listening  :D

I more of just posted the interview because people over at MP's forum and on his facebook were confused as to what MP meant and also some people (including myself) overanalyzed it.

God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen