Author Topic: What genres of music generally turn you off?  (Read 14742 times)

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
Re: What genres of music generally turn you off?
« Reply #105 on: July 20, 2010, 02:53:04 PM »
This.  There's a difference between good progressive metal and bad progressive metal.
And that's the point exactly. ::) Sorry, but you won't tell me that it's anything else than an attempt to look cool by saying progressive metal sucks, when immediately afterwards you go listing "exceptions" which would make a nice list. Or again you'll maybe go by the awesome logic that everything that's interesting cannot be progressive metal, it's "metal with progressive elements" or something. :lol It has great bands, decent bands, generic bands and simply bad bands like any other genre. I haven't seen anyone around here who would literally hate all progressive metal other than DT, it's always "except... [enter minimum 10 bands here]".

I can't believe this.  Why don't you stop being so thick, and understand that I might just not like the genre.  Of course there are a few (3, maybe) that I listen to, but I just don't agree with what the genre stands for.  So, if I listen to a band labeled progressive metal, it's usually for different elements than the prog metal element.  Follow? 
I have no problems with not liking the genre. I have a lot of problems with making a huge ideology out of it, which is what happens quite often - even here, to my surprise.

I haven't seen anyone around here who would literally hate all progressive metal other than DT, it's always "except... [enter minimum 10 bands here]".

Minimum 10?  That is rubbish.  Aside from DT, the only prog metal bands I like really at all are Opeth (although I would call them just metal, but many call them prog metal, so I will put them in here to avoid that debate) and Ayreon (who didn't make my top 50 I did a while back).  So, yeah, prog metal definitely is not my thing.  Just about all of the metal I like would not fall under the "prog" banner.  I am a huge prog ROCK fan.  Prog metal...not so much.
Alright. See above.