Author Topic: Would/Should DT ever re-release their albums in the future?  (Read 6450 times)

Offline Groundhog

Re: Would/Should DT ever re-release their albums in the future?
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2010, 03:24:07 PM »
A lot of older bands release remastered albums because recording technology back in the 70s wasn't what it is today, and they can actually make them sound LOUDER now.

Fixed. :P

Well, they could make them sound better, if they wanted to. That said if "loudness war" would happen to end, though it's very unlikely, it would be great for them to re-release all albums from Scenes to Black Clouds with emphasis on sound quality and dynamics. That alone would add enough value for me to buy them again.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2010, 05:29:52 AM »
I think those albums all sound fine, except for Scenes. I could see the point of a 5.1 release, though.

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2010, 11:43:57 AM »
I'd like them to, only because every single store in my area only ever stocks Images and Words and Black Clouds. I still don't own a physical copy of Awake, Scenes, or Six Degrees because I've never found them in stores and I've never bothered with ordering online. Maybe if they were re-released it would encourage FYE and other like-minded stores to stock more than just the highest seller and the newest album.

Maybe it's your location. The FYE around me carries almost all their albums at any given time.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2010, 11:47:31 AM »
It probably is my location; I wouldn't doubt that at all. :millahhhh
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2010, 12:08:48 PM »
Aye. It's geographical, I guess. In my region, across various points in time I've seen... Images and Words, Awake, Live at the Marquee, Falling Into Infinity, Scenes from a Memory, Live Scenes from New York, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, Live at Budokan, Score, Octavarium, Systematic Chaos, Chaos in Motion, Black Clouds & Silver Linings (multiple editions), and a Japanese import of Train of Thought, strangely enough. Also seen Dream and Day at a second hand shop, if that counts. All between my two hometowns, which are about a mile or two away from each other.

I'm not in a particularly huge population centre, nor a capital of... anything, really, nor are there any major gigs in the area. Maybe there's an appetite for it among posh teenagers, so they keep the shelves stocked? Hard to say. Heck, I've seen Dominici albums on the shelves, and they're not the best-known band even within the prog-world. (Sorry Chaz, on the off-chance you're reading this - if it helps I bought 'em!)

Chance is all it is, I guess. Ferret around a little more, though. And request 'em at the counter. Let them know there's a minor following. I have no idea whether that will work, having never worked behind the scenes at a music shop, but hey! Gotta be worth a shot.

Most places will get them bought in, too, if you ask. "Is there anything else you were looking for?" "Yeah, I want every single album by Dream Theater cheers." "Is that 'Every Single Album' with spaces?" "..." "Har har. Okay, we don't have any but we'll order it in for you. Come back in five days." "Lush."

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2010, 12:36:32 PM »
Ahh yes, that reminds me. Both FYEs near me sell all their live albums and DVDs in addition to Images and Words and Black Clouds. I can't understand why you'd keep live albums stocked over studio albums. I'd think that studio albums would take top priority. Apparently not.

And yeah Rob, I have tried that. No cigar. Every employee I've talked to has given me some variation of "I'm just a cashier man, I don't have the power to decide what we order and what we keep in stock." I've asked about other bands beside DT, such as PT, and the answer is always the same.

I need to start saying "lush" in everyday conversation though...
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2010, 12:48:52 PM »
I'd like them to, only because every single store in my area only ever stocks Images and Words and Black Clouds. I still don't own a physical copy of Awake, Scenes, or Six Degrees because I've never found them in stores and I've never bothered with ordering online. Maybe if they were re-released it would encourage FYE and other like-minded stores to stock more than just the highest seller and the newest album.

Maybe it's your location. The FYE around me carries almost all their albums at any given time.

Agreed. I regularly see the band's last 4 albums in stock (TOT-BC&SL), as well as IAW, Awake, ACOS and sometimes SFAM and a couple lives albums. I think I also saw WDADU instock at my FYE once, too! As for DVDs, I saw the Special Edition of Chaos In Motion there once, but only once... Luckily I had ordered mine online (and received TMOLS mp3 as a bonus for pre-ordering). I've seen SCORE and LAB there too.

If you want more albums, I would just order them online, like Amazon.com. Their marketplace sellers often sell albums pretty cheap.

-Marc.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!