Author Topic: Would/Should DT ever re-release their albums in the future?  (Read 6451 times)

Offline The Letter M

It seems that in the last decade, more and more bands from the 80s/90s have begin re-releasing their albums, and not just in the prog genre, but there seems to have been quite a surge in prog to do this.

Does it seem smart for DT, some time in the future (be it two or twenty years from now) to re-release their albums? How would you want to see them re-released?

Of course, there are a lot of "standards" in what some may expect releases to contain - 5.1 Mix on DVD-A, remastering, or even remixing of the original tapes, bonus tracks/outtakes/alternate mixes, video from that album's era/tour/making of, expanded artwork and liner notes...

There's a lot that can bed one, but it seems that the band has released a lot of this stuff, either through official means or through YtseJamRecords (outtakes and alternate mixes on the Demos/Making-of albums). I think each album could use a bit of touching up, but a 5.1 mix would definitely entice those who listen to albums in that format (I do not, so at this point, that sort of thing doesn't interest me, but I'm sure there are a LOT of fans who'd like that).

I think a re-release of the first four albums would be a perfect way for the band to release the b-sides from that era (once collected on the DTIFC release Cleaning Out The Closet).

Unfortunately, with the rights to the WDADU out of their hands, any sort of re-releasing campaign wouldn't be complete (such was the case with Genesis and their recent re-release boxsets).

How does everyone feel about this? Any ideas I didn't mention, or opinions on the ones I did talk about? How soon should DT, if ever, re-release their discography? Just studio albums, or live ones too? Would you want boxsets (such as Genesis did with eras, or even The Beatles with the whole discography), or just separate releases only?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline LTE

Re: Would/Should DT ever re-release their albums in the future?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 02:35:11 PM »
How bout rereleasing Images and Words with Mike recording the drum parts over again without the shitty triggers?
We are a way for the universe to know itself.
 I suffer from moderate/severe Depersonalization.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 03:28:35 PM »
I don't see much point to a re-release.  None of their albums are out of print except WDADU, and that is out of their hands anyway.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 03:30:20 PM »
Considering the B-sides, demos, outtakes, and other rare stuff has pretty much been released or will be released through Ytsejam I don't see much point in doing this. Perhaps a box set one day of 5.1 mixes, but beyond that I don't think this will be needed.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 03:33:17 PM »
How bout rereleasing Images and Words with Mike recording the drum parts over again without the shitty triggers?

Nah.  The triggers are part of the charm of the album, and if they did re-record the drums, they would likely re-release the whole thing with their current mixing style (like they did on the I&W songs on the greatest hits compilation), which I personally wouldn't like (not that what I want takes precedent...I am just saying :P).  I&W is awesome as is, triggers, warts and all. :coolio

Offline TL

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 03:47:52 PM »
As their albums are all still in print (except for WDADU), I don't think it's really necessary. A lot of older bands release remastered albums because recording technology back in the 70s wasn't what it is today, and they can actually make them sound better now. DT's albums are recent enough that most changes would be almost unnoticeable.

The only album that could use an update is WDADU, which, as has been said, isn't something they can do. I also have a feeling that it would more or less need to be re-recorded, and not just remixed/remastered to make a significant improvement.

Offline Pirate

• Yeah buddy
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 03:51:16 PM »
I definitely wouldn't mind a re-do for IaW, seeing as I don't own the album yet and I would kill for a mix with new drum tracks. For the other albums, ultra meh.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 04:07:53 PM »
I don't really like rereleases. They feel like they're not the genuine article. I mean, sure, the music is the same - and often enhanced - but I'd rather feel like I'm buying the "proper" article.

It's unavoidable with albums from the vinyl era. I know that. They couldn't possibly do an exact transfer, the entire format is different. But in a silly, petty way the little bar running down the side reading "RUSH REMASTERS" makes it feel less like I'm buying a genuine article to me. Rush are some of the more tasteful, too. David Bowie's got some rubbish covers - I'm not fond of "Here's a picture of the musician" artwork - but the backs of my Bowie CDs have this Times New Roman-esque text on a white background, and remastering information slapped across the bottom. Then you look on the back of the booklet and see the real back cover, and it's lovely. Remasters remind me that a CD is just a storage device.

I don't generally like albums where they've added bonus tracks five years later, either. It feels a bit cheap and tacky to have a live track tapped onto the end. Special Editions feel like added value, whereas "Track 15, Surrounded (Live from 2007)" feels a little cheap.

Enough grumpiness! I'd love it if they could authentically add something. Make it feel like they've augmented it and given you some extra bang for extra buck. Marketing it as something tangibly different, thoroughly rerecording it, adding an extra disc, packaging it well and maybe even giving it a slightly different name. That'd be lush. While I love Images and Words and it's got a lovely, otherworldly atmosphere, the chunky bits don't sound especially chunky and the triggered snare is a little too cutting. Pull Me Under, on IAW, is a big gruff motorcyclist trapped in a gangly artist's body.

So, only if they go above and beyond the call of duty and really invest time in creating something thoroughly worth having. Something unputdownable, a proper event.

But that'd have to be very time-consuming, and I think I'd rather that they invest that time in producing new material.

Offline DREAMS FTIME45

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 04:13:00 PM »
They should do one big box set with albums sessions etc

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 04:14:44 PM »
So, only if they go above and beyond the call of duty and really invest time in creating something thoroughly worth having. Something unputdownable, a proper event.

But that'd have to be very time-consuming, and I think I'd rather that they invest that time in producing new material.

Well we ARE talking about Dream Theater, where their band-leader is pretty much the biggest fan of the band, and as a fan of music in general, knows what fans want when it comes to releases, so I think with MP at the helm of such things, whatever would happen with any sort of re-release would result in something fantastic!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Pirate

• Yeah buddy
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 04:22:52 PM »

Well we ARE talking about Dream Theater, where their band-leader is pretty much the biggest fan of the band, and as a fan of music in general, knows what fans want when it comes to releases, so I think with MP at the helm of such things, whatever would happen with any sort of re-release would result in something fantastic!

-Marc.
QFT, I can see something like this being done if DT took another break like they did this year (except no Transatlantic tour, lol). It'd be cool for them to revisit their roots for a bit, maybe get inspired then release some OC the following year. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 04:24:59 PM »
I can see something like this being done if DT took another break like they did this year (except no Transatlantic tour, lol).
I'd rather have another Transatlantic tour (and album).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 04:26:20 PM »
I don't know if many people buy re-releases due to 'bonus live/alternate cut tracks' or special/added artwork or liner notes. Maybe they do. I don't. Any re-release I've ended up buying the past was the only version I found available, as the previous/original version was OOP. My personal preference, is to have the original recording anyway, when possible. I've never liked how songs get tacked on at the end. The exception in my collection is Who's Next, which has a bunch of great live and rare tracks. But while they are cool to have, it is a bit weird to have the album not end with 'Won't Get Fooled Again.'

If DT were to re-release their albums, I'm not sure what would entice me to buy them. I don't like to double-dip  on something I've already purchased. For any extra goodies they want to make available, they should just release them separately as they have been doing through ytsejam.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Pirate

• Yeah buddy
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2010, 04:35:34 PM »
I can see something like this being done if DT took another break like they did this year (except no Transatlantic tour, lol).
Would you rather have neither a re-release nor a new TA release, but still a long break? ::)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2010, 09:17:30 PM »
The only albums which I think could really use it are When Dream and Day Unite (after hearing what Blind Guardian did with Batallions of Fear, I'm sure someone could make this album sound great) and Scenes. For some reason, Scenes sounds extremely bland in comparison to the rest of the Dream Theater catalog. I remember Petrucci saying something like the original Botrill mix was terrible and they brought Shirley in last minute to fix it, but he still didn't have the time or the resources to do his best work.

Also, proper recordings of the b-sides would be nice. Sure, they've been released through YtseJam. But the problem with those is that they don't sound very good, especially the ones on the FII demos. I'd love to hear DT get in the studio and do proper recordings of those songs.

Offline TL

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2010, 09:26:01 PM »
I will say, there is something I don't like about the mastering on Scenes.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2010, 09:27:18 PM »
Maybe bland isn't the right word. It's more like... muffled.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2010, 05:22:18 AM »
Would you rather have neither a re-release nor a new TA release, but still a long break? ::)
I'm OK with them taking a break.

Offline Pirate

• Yeah buddy
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2010, 07:36:06 AM »
I'm OK with them taking a break.
Whatever you say, Hef

Offline OperantChamber

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2010, 08:01:49 AM »
I'd only want a re-release if it's in a diffrerent format. Wouldn't mind a few more albums pressed in vinyl.

Offline TL

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2010, 04:49:31 PM »
Also, proper recordings of the b-sides would be nice. Sure, they've been released through YtseJam. But the problem with those is that they don't sound very good, especially the ones on the FII demos. I'd love to hear DT get in the studio and do proper recordings of those songs.
This would be a good idea.
Also, I've always found it weird how Cover My Eyes sounds better on Cleaning Out the Closet than it does on the FII demos.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2010, 07:55:02 PM »
Also, I've always found it weird how Cover My Eyes sounds better on Cleaning Out the Closet than it does on the FII demos.

Indeed. Is there any proof to show that the versions of the B-Sides released on Cleaning Out The Closet are more produced/mixed than the demo versions of those tunes? They sound so crisp and clean without the usual hiss or static that can be found on demo tapes.

Also, with the release of The Making Of Falling Into Infinity through YtseJamRecords, didn't MP say he wanted to, as some point, release all (or most of) the DTIFC material to the general public in some form? If anything else, those B-Sides would be the next thing I'd want (although getting a Scenes From A World Tour would be pretty sweet, maybe expanded to a 2-Disc set with more outtakes and special performances from that tour).

-Marc.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2010, 08:03:20 PM »
Why haven't they gotten the rights to WDADU yet? Did they sign a 50 year contract or something?

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2010, 08:09:17 PM »
Why haven't they gotten the rights to WDADU yet? Did they sign a 50 year contract or something?
When you sign with a record label, everything you do belongs to them while you're there. Even if you eventually sign with another label, you still don't get them back as they still belong with the original record label. The only way you can get the rights back into your hands is if the label goes bankrupt. This is fairly typical, actually.
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2010, 08:53:23 PM »

All those songs sound better on Cleaning Out My Closet. I think I know why, but I'm not sure, so I'm not sayin'.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2010, 08:58:37 PM »
Thanks for the info. I thought it was a contract thing. I like Cover My Eyes but both versions I heard sound pretty bad.

Offline 2Timer

• The only DT fan who plays country music!
  • Don't turn your back on parrot eyes
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2010, 10:18:37 AM »
I'd like to see them re-release if it meant being able to get everything on vinyl.
I am God when it goes to hell
When it turns out good I'm not to blame

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2010, 10:29:44 AM »
To me, the live version of "Cover My Eyes" from the 5YIAL video is THE definitive version of that song.  The demo is weak compared to that live version.  Even when I first got Cleaning out the Closet, I almost never listened to the demo, simply because it was so vastly inferior to the live version.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2010, 11:16:12 AM »
Get SW to mix DT's back catalog in 5.1 and I will empty my bank account to get it.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2010, 12:03:52 PM »
I don't know if many people buy re-releases due to 'bonus live/alternate cut tracks' or special/added artwork or liner notes. Maybe they do. I don't.
Probably 99% of bands people wouldn't, DT fans might.

I don't think I'd want a remix with a few things changed around so the band could cash in again, and I don't think they'd ever do that. If they were going to re-release something they would make it worth the while.

I wouldn't mind a re-recording and re-mixing if they did it just to have a better quality, but keeping all the same parts would be preferable.

A CD version, a live recording of each song, a disc with all the B-sides, and a 5.1 mix to round out the set. New and extended notes as well.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2010, 06:49:16 PM »
To me, the live version of "Cover My Eyes" from the 5YIAL video is THE definitive version of that song.  The demo is weak compared to that live version.  Even when I first got Cleaning out the Closet, I almost never listened to the demo, simply because it was so vastly inferior to the live version.
This is most certainly true.  That DVD also has the definitive version of Speak To Me IMHO.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2010, 07:42:29 PM »
The one cd i'd want them to either remaster/remix would be Scenes From A Memory.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2010, 08:24:27 AM »
I would love a modern studio quality When Dream & Day Unite with James singing.

Offline ConstantMotion

• The Scientist
  • Shine, lake of fire
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2010, 09:55:40 AM »
If they do do remasters, I hope they take the recent Yes and Genesis remasters into consideration. Those were tastefully done, and were worth shelling out the money just to own them.

However, I see no point in remastering the albums...they sound great as they are. Maybe reisssues in order to get b-sides (I have no b-sides, so I would buy them all again), but again, what's the point? I hate remasters that tack on b-sides, actually, because an album is supposed to be about the whole album, not the whole album plus 6 or 7 b sides.
Live dates

July 15th, 2010 - Blossom Music Center, Cleveland OH, USA
June 25, 2012 - Taft Theater, Cincinnati OH, USA

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2010, 02:16:44 PM »
I'd like them to, only because every single store in my area only ever stocks Images and Words and Black Clouds. I still don't own a physical copy of Awake, Scenes, or Six Degrees because I've never found them in stores and I've never bothered with ordering online. Maybe if they were re-released it would encourage FYE and other like-minded stores to stock more than just the highest seller and the newest album.

I would love a modern studio quality When Dream & Day Unite with James singing.

Also this.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.