Author Topic: Silver Lining?  (Read 3537 times)

Offline Shadow2222

Silver Lining?
« on: July 16, 2010, 11:28:39 AM »
So, as many of you know, I was not able to go to the Columbus DT concert ( >:(), but I did, last night, go to see Dream Theater and Iron Maiden at Blossom. I also went to Mike's meet and greet. I did not embarass my friend, however, I did tell Mike I was, unfortunately, not able to go to the Columbus concert. He signed the tickets "Sorry ya missed it! MP." I thought that was a nice gesture. I also won a drumhead that I got signed. I also told him about the new Pro mode in Rock Band 3 and asked him if DT had a song in it. He said, "Not that I know of, but it would be awesome if we did." I really hope they do.

Anyways, Rock Band/Guitar Hero fanboy craziness aside, the concert was fantastic! I won't say anything about the setlist due to spoilers (plus I don't want this to get moved to the Concert section as I am also talking about Mike's meet and greet), but it was AWESOME! JLB did say Panic Attack is in Rock Band 2, as I predicted, and Jordan was kind of staring off in the distance and MP said "What are you looking at, Jordan?"

Of course, Dream Theater did make one of the most terrible mistakes I could ever have imagined...
They stopped playing after 50 minutes!

However, I loved every second of it, and Iron Maiden performed well also. I didn't get much video, but I may post some on YouTube.

The only bad thing to come out of seeing them live was my added disappointment of not being able to go to the headlining show.

But all and all, it was a great day, and it truly was a silver lining to my otherwise black cloud.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
Re: Silver Lining?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 12:23:13 PM »
Cool
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 12:31:10 PM »
Bro

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 12:34:19 PM »
Tale
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 12:36:19 PM »
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 12:39:37 PM »
I knew that when I posted this thread that I would get finely worded, intelligent, and detailed posts from you guys.  :tup
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 12:40:59 PM »
I knew that when I posted this thread that I would get finely worded, intelligent, and detailed posts from you guys.  :tup

Yeah.

Cool.

:biggrin:

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 12:41:57 PM »

Yeah.

Cool.

:biggrin:
Story
 :metal
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline Drakkhim

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 01:07:28 PM »
I was at the show in Burgettstown, PA on Wednesday and there were two cute girls behind me, one of them with blue hair, a BC&SL shirt on who was in the front row at the Newport in Columbus. We were about six people deep in the pit. It's too bad you missed it, brother. DT were ACE.

Offline TL

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 01:49:53 PM »
I also told him about the new Pro mode in Rock Band 3 and asked him if DT had a song in it. He said, "Not that I know of, but it would be awesome if we did." I really hope they do.
I'm really hoping that that's something that's handled more by the label now, since otherwise it doesn't really bode well. I really want some DT in RB3, especially now that there are keyboards.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 02:11:47 PM »
"Hey, guys. Anecdotes are totally fucking useless as a form of communications. Let's institutionally disregard them."

...I'm joking natch, but it's on the square. I know it's just meant to be a bit of a laugh but it's a bastard bit of a laugh.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 02:15:54 PM »
"Hey, guys. Anecdotes are totally fucking useless as a form of communications. Let's institutionally disregard them."

...I'm joking natch, but it's on the square. I know it's just meant to be a bit of a laugh but it's a bastard bit of a laugh.

What the hell are you talking about rob? :lol :lol

Offline robwebster

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 02:24:08 PM »
"Cool story bro!"

I guess I just find it a bit mean-spirited and dismissive as a joke. It's probably me taking it FAR too seriously, but I'd be a tad deflated if I'd told an anecdote on good faith and came back and to find nothing but a couple of people saying "Cool story bro." Bit miffing.

Maybe I'm just 'cause I'm in an odd mood. It's never quite sat right with me, though. Just not a nice thing to be doing. I mean, if it's a fairly wtfy or thoroughly inconsequential story then sure, but I meself think it's a bit of a shame that it's become a stock phrase.

(Cue "cool story bro!" I've earnt a couple.)

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2010, 02:27:31 PM »
I was going to comment about his story eventually, but, ya know...I post without thinking sometimes.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2010, 02:29:21 PM »
"Cool story bro!"

I guess I just find it a bit mean-spirited and dismissive as a joke. It's probably me taking it FAR too seriously, but I'd be a tad deflated if I'd told an anecdote on good faith and came back and to find nothing but a couple of people saying "Cool story bro." Bit miffing.

Maybe I'm just 'cause I'm in an odd mood. It's never quite sat right with me, though. Just not a nice thing to be doing. I mean, if it's a fairly wtfy or thoroughly inconsequential story then sure, but I meself think it's a bit of a shame that it's become a stock phrase.

(Cue "cool story bro!" I've earnt a couple.)

Trust me, if this wasn't the day after the concert (meaning I am still reeling from the excitement and happiness), I would have made some very nasty comments.

Honestly people, it makes me seem useless and unimportant. Why would I want to be part of a community that acts like that?

I understand that it is a joke. However, just like racist jokes, it is demeaning to the point where it loses any bit of "funny" that it had.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2010, 02:34:59 PM »
But hey! Excitement and happiness, grand!

This was your first time seeing them live, aye? (Unless I'm completely misremembering your previous thread. Which is possible.) Do you find that the songs sound different listening to them hot off the heel of the gig?

I remember my first DT gig - first non-local live gig at all, actually - and Panic Attack sounded completely different afterwards. I couldn't listen to it for a few days without finding myself headbanging, regardless of how stiff my neck was. It was lush. I still get that after each gig I go to, actually.

The best thing's when they play a song you weren't previously that fond of, and it completely blossoms from hearing it in a different context. I remember not being too fussed about Caught in a Web before seeing it live, but now I love it. And I never realised how heavy Erotomania was till July last year. It fills the room, live. Everyone was jumping up and down to it. It was ace.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2010, 02:36:01 PM »
I've heard some pretty funny racist and religious jokes. Just saying.

I know, though, and I apologize. It's like sending a long, important text message to someone and getting "k" as a reply. It's like...really?

---------------

I mentioned in the concert thread that I was happy that you at least got to see DT. It sucks that you missed the headlining one. Seeing them be the highlight really makes a difference (I saw DT on Gigantour and Megadeth was the Headliner, and it was still great, but not nearly as great as the two headlining shows I saw with them).

50 minutes seems like so little time. I bet it seemed like they got on stage and then off. Great live band for sure.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2010, 02:41:47 PM »
Not meant to hop on the bandwagon, but bro, that actually is a cool story.  Glad you enjoyed it!

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2010, 02:44:02 PM »
Thanks Rob, Jamesman (btw, I'm sorry if I offended you), and skydivingninja (now that is good usage!)!

It did change my outlook on Constant Motion. I enjoyed the song before, but now, I can't stop listening to it!

And my neck, and back, hurts as well. My friend said, "I didn't want to say anything because you looked like you were having so much fun, but you weren't headbanging. You were bodybanging!"

I know everyone HAD to be looking at me, as I was going absolutely crazy!

Offline robwebster

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2010, 03:04:12 PM »
Hahaha. I get that.

I get annoyed if the person in front of me isn't as animated as me. If you just want to stand there, you can go to the back! I'm of the "jump around like a dick, screaming the lyrics loudly" school of thought when it comes to gigs. Nothing violent, but plenty of energy.

Best one I went to for that was Leeds '09. It was PERFECT. Having your favourite band standing there on stage playing your favourite songs for your very own pleasure is worth the admission price alone, but there is something incredibly primally exciting about everybody jumping up and down in sync. The roar of the crowd is beautiful. It brings it up to another level, for me. Part of me is always actually trying, against all odds, to get the band to hear me.

Offline ConstantMotion

• The Scientist
  • Shine, lake of fire
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2010, 08:46:14 AM »
So that was why he said "What you looking at, Jordan!" I was wondering...

I also was at that show. I also hated that they stopped playing after 50 mins, but on the plus side, Iron Maiden was awesome as well.

My favorite part of the show was "Home." That song is probably my favorite DT song, or close to it. Definitely my favorite off of Scenes.

There are some bootlegs up that are pretty good. DT boot from that show is an A-, and the Iron Maiden one is about a B (this is in terms of sound quality.)
Live dates

July 15th, 2010 - Blossom Music Center, Cleveland OH, USA
June 25, 2012 - Taft Theater, Cincinnati OH, USA

Offline Mladen

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2010, 01:08:40 PM »
Cool story, bro.

Really. Nice to hear you had some quality time listening to the best two bands that are still around.  :tup

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2010, 08:33:23 AM »
Part of me is always actually trying, against all odds, to get the band to hear me.

:rollin  Just have to share a quick, tangential story this reminded me of.  I'm of the same school of thought, and had an incident at a show last summer where the band actually did hear me loud and clear.  It was at a club show where we were seeing Lacuna Coil, and Christina was talking to the crowd in between songs about how great the tour was going, and how supportive the American fans were, etc., and I screamed out as loud as I could, "thank you for coming to America!"  I didn't mean to, but inadvertently timed it so that I yelled it out just after the crowd had finished cheering about something she said, so it was actually momentarily very quiet, and since I was screaming at the top of my lungs, the entire place heard me and it felt like every head in the joint whipped around and looked at me.  :lol  Cool thing was, I got a lot of attention from the band the rest of the show.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."