Author Topic: Porcupine Tree Thread v. generic heaviness and boring ambiance  (Read 295328 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: Porcupine Tree Thread v. generic heaviness and boring ambiance
« Reply #2695 on: December 22, 2010, 05:27:13 PM »
So... How about "Trains"?

Revolutionary, not only for PT, but for music.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #2696 on: December 22, 2010, 05:29:40 PM »
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #2697 on: December 22, 2010, 05:43:49 PM »
So... How about "Trains"?

Revolutionary, not only for PT, but for music.

It really is the quintessential, ultimate, unique PT song.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2698 on: December 22, 2010, 05:47:54 PM »
I had a post all typed up.  I could have sworn I hit "post."  Was it deleted or am I just crazy?

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2699 on: December 22, 2010, 05:48:18 PM »
I think you're just crazy.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2700 on: December 22, 2010, 05:57:29 PM »
Okay then.  My basic points were (since I don't feel like wording everything again):

-Trains wasn't played for a majority of both the FOABP and Coheed tours.  Blackest Eyes is played more live.
-I agree that Trains does not represent all of Porcupine Tree, but it is a unique song on In Absentia.
-I was not suggesting you (Darkes) were incapable of liking simpler songs.  Breaking new musical ground doesn't equal technicality.

I called you an elitist because, let's take your love of Porcelain Heart as an example.  You were very passionate about that song and how upset you were that it was voted off first.  That's totally fine.  You crossed the line when you started accusing everyone else of not liking it because it wasn't prog or metal enough, and that only you saw the beauty in it and the rest of us were just sheep.  That's the same sort of haughty attitude you're carrying yourself with in this last post, likening our enjoyment of "Trains" to that of an "insane cult."  I would consider that to be an elitist attitude: the sense that you feel you're somehow better than everyone else.  Its the way you word things I have a problem with.

If you're annoyed at a song getting so much praise that you don't feel it deserves, you can stay the hell out of the discussion, like Ytse, Bosk, and TAC have done with the PT thread as of late (wasn't always this way but they've drastically improved in this regard).  Or you can say "My stance on this is well known and I won't say any more" and actually not say any more.  Its what I do whenever I see people gushing about Pain of Salvation.

If I come back in an hour and this post isn't here I'll be committing myself to an institution.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2701 on: December 22, 2010, 10:54:14 PM »
I still think Trains is better live. One of the best songs ever performed live.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2702 on: December 22, 2010, 10:56:12 PM »
Disagreed. There's something lacking about it all the times I've heard it live.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2703 on: December 22, 2010, 11:29:10 PM »
Don't waste your time, sdn.
Mr. Know-it-all-and-don't-bother-discussing has spoken. Or maybe I shouldn't say anything against you because last time when I did so I got banned. ::)

If you got banned, that is your problem, not mine.  If you think I have any influence over the mods, you need to get a grip.  

As for discussing, I LOVE discussing things, as anyone who knows me will tell you.  Just not with you most of the time.  And your bitching about "Trains"' popularity is sooooo old, which is why I advised sdn (whose most recent post is right on the money) to not even waste his time.  The sooner the forum as a whole doesn't respond to your inane rantings about "Trains," the less threads like this one get derailed talking about the same thing for the 835th time.  

If you don't like "Trains" that much and/or think it is overrated, super.  Good for you.  But what purpose does going on long-winded rants about it on a regular basis serve?  Are you worried that maybe there might be two or three new DTF members who don't know how overrated you think the song is, so you beat the dead horse yet again, just so no one doesn't know what you think? 

Disagreed. There's something lacking about it all the times I've heard it live.

Agreed.  I like it live, but I don't think it touches the studio version.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2704 on: December 22, 2010, 11:38:43 PM »
Good Kev, keep it well hidden that the mods are mere puppets for your control, we can't let them know the truth.

Edit: Wait, this wasn't a PM?
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2705 on: December 23, 2010, 01:11:13 AM »
If you got banned, that is your problem, not mine.  If you think I have any influence over the mods, you need to get a grip.  

For some reason, this gave me a vision of Kev doing like a puppet-show with the mods, saying: "DANCE MY MODERATORS, DANCE LIKE PUPPETS!"  :rollin

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2706 on: December 23, 2010, 03:05:56 AM »
srsly guys

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #2707 on: December 23, 2010, 04:12:24 AM »
I still think Trains is better live. One of the best songs ever performed live.

I actually prefer the studio version over anything. I think it is just perfect.

Also, srsly.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2708 on: December 23, 2010, 04:16:03 AM »
Darkes is one of the few people that can actually say negative things about bands he love, particular PT, which has some sort of "GOD"-status on this forum. :P
Sadly he doesn't like Mellotron Scratch though, so that kinda drags him down a bit.  :biggrin:

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2709 on: December 23, 2010, 04:26:25 AM »
Darkes is one of the few people that can actually say negative things about bands he love, particular PT, which has some sort of "GOD"-status on this forum. :P
Sadly he doesn't like Mellotron Scratch though, so that kinda drags him down a bit.  :biggrin:

There are very few people here who can't say something negative about the band.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #2710 on: December 23, 2010, 04:28:14 AM »

There are very few people here who can't say something negative about the band.

Yeah, I really don't think the problem is saying something negative about PT, its about CONSTANTLY raising the same issue over and over. How many times have we had the Darkes vs Trains argument in these threads?  :lol

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #2711 on: December 23, 2010, 05:17:12 AM »
Good Kev, keep it well hidden that the mods are mere puppets for your control, we can't let them know the truth.

Edit: Wait, this wasn't a PM?
:rollin

I trololol'd.

In an attempt to hopefully GET OFF THE TOPIC OF the magnificent TRAINS: The Incident Disc 2 is not as good as Disc 1, but I see people saying the opposite all the time. Half of the four tracks don't really have much staying power, and out of the other two I hate Remember Me Lover anyway.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2712 on: December 23, 2010, 05:20:46 AM »
I'd say i like disc 2 more.
Even though i really like the song-cycle, i sometimes feel like during the 50 minutes, the only variety you get is meshuggah-heavy or Stupid Dream-soft.
It's also frustrating because i can't listen to any of the songs on disc 1 outside of the song-cycle, because i feel like the songs before and after makes the song better.
Anyhow both cds are good. :P

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #2713 on: December 23, 2010, 05:21:33 AM »
The Incident is a weird one. I was meh towards it at first, but then there was a phase where I absolutely loved it.

I'm kinda back in the "meh" phase now. I like it still, but it doesn't do for me what it used to. I can't really find any fault in it, I just don't think it lives up to the other PT albums. I'd probably give it an 8/10. Disc 2 is good, but its not really a cohesive album. Remember Me Lover is also good, but might drag on a little too long at points.

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #2714 on: December 23, 2010, 05:24:39 AM »
I'd say i like disc 2 more.
Even though i really like the song-cycle, i sometimes feel like during the 50 minutes, the only variety you get is meshuggah-heavy or Stupid Dream-soft.
It's also frustrating because i can't listen to any of the songs on disc 1 outside of the song-cycle, because i feel like the songs before and after makes the song better.
Anyhow both cds are good. :P

That's actually something I hadn't considered, I suppose I've never listened to Disc 1 except as a whole which might be why people prefer Disc 2, it is almost a relief to be able to listen to just 5 minutes of new PT instead of 50. And true, Disc 1 doesn't have much variety. I just think that if you look at Disc 1 and Disc 2 and compare the strongest/weakest tracks, then Disc 1 wins, but I suppose the whole point of PT is NOT to focus on individual tracks, so fair enough.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2715 on: December 23, 2010, 05:29:14 AM »
That's how i see it at least. :P
Now when PT wont perform the song-cycle again, this album will easily be forgotten about.
Sure they can play Time Flies or something, but i don't think it would work as well being a stand-alone track.
The only song from The Incident i would love to hear live again would be "I Drive the Hearse", also "Flicker" from cd2, mostly because that's my favorite.

As for the next PT-album, i'm interesting to see if they will go in a completely new direction, or just taking the whole Incident-concept some steps further.
I really hope they won't have the whole "meshuggah-heavy vs soft", because the PT-songs with the really heavy guitars are easily amongst their worst songs (apart from the title-track and circle of manias+i drive the hearse combo).
I really dig the electronic influences on Sleep Together and The Incident (the title-track), the strings in the first is also something i would love to see PT use again.

Offline MirzekDT

« Reply #2716 on: December 23, 2010, 05:44:52 AM »
That's how i see it at least. :P
Now when PT wont perform the song-cycle again, this album will easily be forgotten about.
Sure they can play Time Flies or something, but i don't think it would work as well being a stand-alone track.
The only song from The Incident i would love to hear live again would be "I Drive the Hearse", also "Flicker" from cd2, mostly because that's my favorite.

As for the next PT-album, i'm interesting to see if they will go in a completely new direction, or just taking the whole Incident-concept some steps further.
I really hope they won't have the whole "meshuggah-heavy vs soft", because the PT-songs with the really heavy guitars are easily amongst their worst songs (apart from the title-track and circle of manias+i drive the hearse combo).
I really dig the electronic influences on Sleep Together and The Incident (the title-track), the strings in the first is also something i would love to see PT use again.

If they would do whole album in a vein of Sleep Together and The Incident it would be awesome and it would probably end up as my favorite PT album I love that side of PT so much

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #2717 on: December 23, 2010, 05:47:55 AM »
I'd love that too but for some reason I don't see PT going that way, I think we'll get a LOT more ambient influences on the new album based on what SW is listening to on his website and stuff. I'm not actually as excited about the next PT album as I am the next Opeth album, despite the fact that I vastly prefer PT. I'm really not sure where they can go from here.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2718 on: December 23, 2010, 05:48:52 AM »
What I love about PT is that we don't know from CD to CD where they will go musically.  That's what I love about them.  Not many bands get to play what they want like PT.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #2719 on: December 23, 2010, 07:01:34 AM »
Fact: Sleep Together 5.1 = God Tier.

I still find the stereo version pretty boring, but the surround sound mix just... blows me away every time.

Offline Pirate

• Yeah buddy
« Reply #2720 on: December 23, 2010, 07:07:02 AM »
Does everyone 'round here pronounce it "Darks"? I always thought it was "Darkest" like 1337 speak.

On topic: I've decided Anesthetize is my favourite PT song. I've never tired of it, unlike the other two main contenders, Dark(es7) Matter and ASBNH. Although I like those for other reasons  :P

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2721 on: December 23, 2010, 08:47:15 AM »
I pronounce it Dark-es...

I don't think I could pick a favourite PT song, all I know is Mellatron Scratch or Drown With Me would be well up there, and Trains is friggin' awesome.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2722 on: December 23, 2010, 09:11:56 AM »
I always assumed it was darkest.

Offline jag66

« Reply #2723 on: December 23, 2010, 10:03:56 AM »
Does everyone 'round here pronounce it "Darks"? I always thought it was "Darkest" like 1337 speak.

On topic: I've decided Anesthetize is my favourite PT song. I've never tired of it, unlike the other two main contenders, Dark(es7) Matter and ASBNH. Although I like those for other reasons  :P

The other 2 main contenders would like a word with you  :smiley:

Offline jag66

« Reply #2724 on: December 23, 2010, 10:06:04 AM »
Btw anyone fancy doing a PT survivor? It's been around a year since the last..

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2725 on: December 23, 2010, 10:32:47 AM »
I think Zantera did it last year, so it would simply be a matter of waiting on him.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2726 on: December 23, 2010, 12:13:59 PM »
All you Trains conformists make me sick.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #2727 on: December 23, 2010, 12:24:53 PM »
 :heart Trains  :heart

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2728 on: December 23, 2010, 12:25:08 PM »
I think Zantera did it last year, so it would simply be a matter of waiting on him.

Well, anyone can do it, ya know. ;)

Personally, when doing The Incident, I'd like to see the first disc broken into sections instead of listing all 14 songs individually.  I think it would be more interesting and less predictable that way.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2729 on: December 23, 2010, 12:30:34 PM »
And on that note, I've got it going over in P/S now. :coolio