Author Topic: This may be a bit geeky but...  (Read 8187 times)

Offline blackngold29

Re: This may be a bit geeky but...
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2010, 12:44:06 PM »
I rushed the whole thing and blurted out something along the lines of "CHEERS NICE TO SEE YOU HAVE GOOD TASTE AND NICE TO MEET YOU" at a shopfloor-silencing, deer-in-the-headlights kind of volume. Complete with a ravenous stare. It was like a bomb of confusion and saliva. He then said something - probably something far more polite than I deserved - and continued with his life, possibly asking himself what kind of nutters his favourite band attracts, while I shuffled gormlessly down the aisle still baffled about B.
That was the best paragraph I've read all month in any context.

Offline CountVoorhees

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2010, 12:49:29 PM »
Yes, yes... I do that too.

Pretty much with all the bands I listen too. :(

Offline Slain

« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2010, 05:56:05 PM »
I've made it sure to say something any time I see anyone wearing a Dream Theater shirt, which has maybe been 3 or 4 times? Once at Kings Dominion, and we started talking about our favorite albums and such, and their live performance... etc..

Most of the other times have been at concerts, like at a Trans-Siberian Orchestra concert I saw a guy with a BC&SL shirt on and said something along the lines of "Yeah, Dream Theater!" and the same thing happened at a Lynyrd Skynyrd concert (yeah, weird) but the guy with the DT shirt on just kind of awkwardly looked at me. Mostly at concerts, once at a theme park.
Quote from: MarlaHooch
Just amazing.  DT should count their lucky stars that some of their fans are at this level of unconditional cult worship.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2010, 05:22:00 AM »
I always talk to people when I see them in a DT shirt.

Usually on our trips to Disney, I pack a couple of DT shirts, and while I don't see any down there, someone on every trip usually remarks about my shirt.

Last year this guy approached me at EPCOT and we started talking DT. When we finished, The Lovely Mrs TAC turns to me and goes.."So..are you happy now??"  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2010, 05:14:06 PM »
Just this morning, a guy stopped me when I got off of Splash Mountain because I had a DT shirt on. Had a nice chat and hopefully recruited another DTF member!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2010, 05:33:35 PM »
True story: I was on top of the Empire State Building the afternoon of the RCMH show.  I see two guys there together, both wearing DT shirts, so I went out of my way to talk to them to find out if they would be going to the show that night.  They said "No."

I had to laugh a little.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2010, 05:36:34 PM »
I usually just smile to myself unless it's someone at my university, in which case I'll often comment on it. During frosh week last year, I saw a guy wearing a Scenes from a Memory t-shirt and we got to talking...almost a year later, he's become a great friend, bandmate, and (as of later this month) housemate.

If I see someone wearing a Calgary Flames hat or t-shirt though, I give them a shoutout about 90% of the time because you don't see many Flames fans in Ontario or Nova Scotia (for any non-Canadians - ON and NS are central and eastern Canadian provinces, whereas the Flames are from western Canada).
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2010, 01:00:30 AM »
Random old people always stop me and ask me if I went to their latest shows and stuff.  It makes me happy they know the band, but not nearly as happy as when I see a random person wearing a shirt.

I remember last year in my piano class there were essays about favorite pianists/keyboardists on the wall.  As I browsed through I saw one was about Jordan Rudess and the kid like DT a lot.  In a moment of elation I think I turned to the teacher and blurted out "SOMEBODY ELSE LIKES DT IN THIS SCHOOL."
Confusion followed.

Also I find that if I find someone closer to my age who likes DT or is wearing a shirt, I automatically associate them with DTF and blurt out random memes.

I need a life.
www.bedeceived.com

ZOMG WHAT'S AT BEDECEIVED.COM?

I DUNNO!  CLICK THE DARNED LINK TO FIND OUT!

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2010, 01:01:41 AM »
Also I find that if I find someone closer to my age who likes DT or is wearing a shirt, I automatically associate them with DTF and blurt out random memes.

Haha that could be problematic.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2010, 10:25:56 AM »
2 other random DT -shirt stoppings:

At a local Long Island wine-tasting, as I was trying out the reds at this one table.  As the guy is pouring me a taste, he asks me if I'd seen them play and comments on how great their live shows are.   

Skagway, Alaska in a shop that sells totem poles.  My wife and I were buying a nice little vacation souvenir and the dude who rung us up asked me if I'd seen them play.  He was lamenting that they never play Alaska lol. 
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2010, 12:09:32 PM »
There's a woman at work who, like most, has pictures of her family on her desk.  Her son is wearing an Awake T-shirt and her daughter is wearing a red tank top that simply boggles the mind.  I tried to come up with a way to start a conversation based on the picture of her son and that DT is one of my favorite bands, but couldn't come up with anything, so I just told her that her daughter has great tits.  Okay, I might've made up that last part.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2010, 01:06:17 PM »
lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2010, 06:53:48 PM »
Skagway, Alaska in a shop that sells totem poles.

You sure you weren't dreaming up that part? :neverusethis:

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2010, 08:10:29 PM »
I saw a guy at Disney once that had a DT shirt on and I instantly went up to him and started chatting. He was cool, I remember thinking how funny it'd be if he were actually a DTF member.  ;)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2010, 09:11:59 PM »
Next time that happens, you should ask.  Of course, if they're on DTF, they would almost certainly recognize you.  But if they're a fan, they should know about DTF.

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2010, 09:14:07 PM »
Next time that happens, you should ask.  Of course, if they're on DTF, they would almost certainly recognize you.  But if they're a fan, they should know about DTF.

That's what I figured. Either a) They'd mention DTF (as in, you should join/etc) or b) They'd recognize me from my avatar. (I have a very distinctive hair cut, so in person I'm easy to recognize)

But alas, he was not, sadly, a part of our family.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2010, 07:34:47 PM »
I said hi to a guy at EPCOT today that had the Octagon shirt on. I told him I had mine on yesterday. He said it was the 3rd compliment he had gotten today! :lol

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2010, 07:36:33 PM »
Dream Theater Fans - We Look Out For Each Other... Literally.  ;)

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2010, 08:17:01 PM »
A guy came through my drive-thru the other day wearing a Systematic Chaos tour T-shirt.  So I leaned out the window, told him his total, and added, "And that's an awesome shirt, by the way."  We had a nice little chat about how awesome Dream Theater was.  I mentioned I'd wanted to see them live but hadn't yet, and he told me how awesome Mike Portnoy was live.  I gave him his food, he told me to take care, I told him the same, and he drove off.

It was almost heartwarming.  Almost.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2010, 08:51:21 PM »
My step-dad saw a license plate that read "DRMTHTR" :metal

Oh yeah, and this one time, I was at a Dream Theater show, and, and, and, I saw, I saw a lot of people wearing DT shirts! :omg:

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2010, 09:18:02 PM »
Oh yeah, and this one time, I was at a Dream Theater show, and, and, and, I saw, I saw a lot of people wearing DT shirts! :omg:
NOOO WAAYYYY!!! :omg:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2010, 07:46:30 PM »

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2010, 09:27:32 AM »
I said hi to a guy at EPCOT today that had the Octagon shirt on. I told him I had mine on yesterday. He said it was the 3rd compliment he had gotten today! :lol
Two of my favorite things, EPCOT, and Dream Theater! :tup
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2010, 03:37:04 PM »
Two of my favorite things, EPCOT, and Dream Theater! :tup

Yeah without a doubt. I had the same shirt this guy had on last summer there and someone approached me!