Author Topic: This may be a bit geeky but...  (Read 8186 times)

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
This may be a bit geeky but...
« on: July 16, 2010, 07:57:54 AM »
I was at a minor league baseball game in Connecticut last night when I spotted a 40 something guy wearing a Dream Theater tour shirt!!! I looked at my wife and said, YEAH! THAT DUDE HAS A DREAM THEATER SHIRT ON! She said, that is kind of cool. I guess because I love the band so much and lots of people I know have no clue who they even are, I get excited when I see someone in that kind of setting wearing a Dream Theater shirt. Does anyone else feel like I do when they see a stranger wearing a DT shirt, or am I the only one?
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Re: This may be a bit geeky but...
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 08:03:52 AM »
I've thought the same thing.  "Obviously this guy is on to something that most people don't have a clue about - he knows DT is an excellent band!"  It's almost like having a dirty little secret, then happening to stumble across someone who shares the same dirty little secret.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 08:04:52 AM »
I'm the same way.

Especially with Rush tshirts

Online ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 09:08:46 AM »
Never seen somebody wearing a Dream Theater shirt outside of a concert.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 09:22:52 AM »
I'm the same way.

Especially with Rush tshirts
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 09:25:36 AM »
One evening I was crossing a street in midtown Manhattan and this guy walking across from the opposite corner spots my DT "Escape from the studio" tour shirt.  He yells out "DT BABY YEAAH!" and flashes me the horns which I immediately flash back.   :metal   The look on his girlfriend's face:  Priceless  

"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 09:35:18 AM »
Would you be excited if you did?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 09:56:27 AM »
One evening I was crossing a street in midtown Manhattan and this guy walking across from the opposite corner spots my DT "Escape from the studio" tour shirt.  He yells out "DT BABY YEAAH!" and flashes me the horns which I immediately flash back.   :metal   The look on his girlfriend's face:  Priceless  

I have had similar experiences.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 10:05:35 AM »
I saw a guy wearing a DT shirt on the street once. I smiled to myself quietly.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Online ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 10:07:00 AM »
Would you be excited if you did?

Id be all like fuck yeah, bro.

Offline OperantChamber

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 10:29:14 AM »

I'd probably do that same exact thing!
A friend of mine actually sent me a text message because he saw a guy at work wearing a DT shirt. (I don't know anyone else who likes DT :loser:)

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 10:36:12 AM »
I live in a small conservative town, so I feel this way when I see people with Slipknot shirts.

Never seen a DT shirt, but I imagine I'd say something. If I was in a crowded venue I'd likely point and yell, "Hey you, eat my ass and balls!" and watch the confusion on the surrounding faces as the guy with the shirt high fived me instead of beating my face in.

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 10:42:06 AM »
ive actually ran into a few people with DT shirts over the years. it always ends up in either  :metal or  :hat

my girlfriend is always baffled. i keep telling her dream theater is bigger then she thinks/knows

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2010, 10:51:45 AM »
I'm the same, I love it. If within earshot or whatever I can't resist saying 'ace t shirt' or something then assessing their receptiveness before jumping into a conversation about the music and whatnot. I've met a couple friends that way. No one ever talks to me when I'm wearing band t shirts though :'(
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline Chagny

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2010, 10:54:49 AM »
I was at a restaurant last year, when I looked out the window and saw a guy (he looked around 18-20) wearing a Systematic Chaos shirt.

Online ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2010, 10:57:17 AM »
People just think I support gay rights when I wear my Colors shirt...  :-\

Offline Chagny

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2010, 10:59:58 AM »
People just think I support gay rights when I wear my Colors shirt...  :-\
Same, except with my Dark Side Of The Moon shirt.

I shit you not.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2010, 11:03:44 AM »
Inb4coolstorybro  :tup

Anyways, I've never seen anyone with a DT shirt on around here...I think maybe a Rush shirt, or even a Yes shirt, but that's about it.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline EstyMaJ

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2010, 11:16:51 AM »
I would have been Focused on that the whole time i was and as shy as I am with strangers I would have been Biteing the guys ear off about DT and Music the whole tile lol!!!
Being a fan for over 20 years i still haven't seen anyone walking around with a DT shirt on other than shows of course .

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2010, 11:18:30 AM »
I one saw a guy with a DT sweater on a bus. I smiled to myself.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2010, 11:20:08 AM »
I should also point out that I wore a Rush Moving Pictures tour shirt last night, so perhaps someone thought that was cool. :biggrin:

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2010, 12:22:12 PM »
Yeah, I have it work both ways.
I'll signal to people wearing some prog-rock/metal shirt of a band I like and is sort of uncommon and will usually yell something like "YEAH! Those guys rock!"
Also, when I wear my DT/Rush/Porcupine Tree shirts, I'll sometimes have people come up and say "best band in the world".
Hell, some friendships of mine have started because someone was wearing a cool band t-shirt.
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2010, 12:32:20 PM »
The sound man at the church I play at showed up for rehearsal one time wearing a Transatlantic Whirlwind T-shirt.  Needless to say, we ended up talking about music and prog for a while, plus I was smiling inside because if the guy listens to prog, then there's a chance people will actually hear the keyboards.  There's a whole crew of musicians and tech people that get rotated around, and it's pretty much a fact that if the other guy is running sound, you will hear nothing but guitars and vocals.  Not even drums and bass, let alone keyboards.

Anyway, the next day he was wearing his Systematic Chaos shirt.  DT fans are like a cult or something.  We're out there, living among normal people, but we have this secret...

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2010, 12:35:31 PM »
 :lol :lol

I distinctly remember leaving some building and going into the parking lot with my DT shirt on, and this guy is like "WHOOOOOA HEY THERE SONNY, YOU LIKE DREAM THEATER". It was a horrible experience, as he thought he knew everything about them. I asked him if he liked Six Degrees and beyond, and he had never heard of anything past FII. I believe Octavarium was the latest CD out at the time.

Offline TL

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2010, 01:57:10 PM »
I had someone notice my BC&SL tour shirt when I was downtown once. My gf found it funny how excited each of us was to run into a fellow DT fan in the wild.

Being a DT fan is a bit like being Canadian. You get a bit excited when someone outside of a concert/the country mentions it.  ;D

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2010, 03:43:18 PM »
I have seen a car with A Majesticker(seewhatididther) and i was all like  :metal :metal :metal
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2010, 04:58:24 PM »
I think everyone gets it. It's a Dream Theater fan thing - it's relatively rare to see one so it's a bit of an event when it happens, but Dream Theater fans are juuust common enough for it to happen now and then.

Although, not always a good experience. Few weeks back I had an middle-aged man come past me while I was buying some whipped cream in Lidl or something and he said in a calm, friendly, and crucially non-threatening manner something along the lines of "Don't expect to come across many Dream Theater fans here." In that instant, I panicked as I tried to work out A. what he'd just said, B. how he knew I was a Dream Theater fan, and V. how to respond - all as quickly as possible before he disappeared in a sea of frozen goods.

I rushed the whole thing and blurted out something along the lines of "CHEERS NICE TO SEE YOU HAVE GOOD TASTE AND NICE TO MEET YOU" at a shopfloor-silencing, deer-in-the-headlights kind of volume. Complete with a ravenous stare. It was like a bomb of confusion and saliva. He then said something - probably something far more polite than I deserved - and continued with his life, possibly asking himself what kind of nutters his favourite band attracts, while I shuffled gormlessly down the aisle still baffled about B.

I worked B out about half a minute later, when I looked down at my shirt and saw a Dream Theater logo.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2010, 08:14:48 PM »
Yes, very.

The day after the concert in Minnesota last year, I was at work and saw a kid wearing one of the 2009 Tour T-shirts. This is a kid that I absolutely hate, but now have a new respect for  :D
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2010, 08:29:17 PM »
I saw a guy on the subway with a DT shirt a few weeks ago, but only in passing and I didn't say anything. I was working at a beer festival last month when I encountered a guy with a Them Crooked Vultures shirt on, but he just looked alarmed when I mentioned it :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Chagny

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2010, 09:35:27 PM »
A while ago I was wearing my "Opeth Fanclub Sweden" shirt, when a somewhat older man walked past me and gave me "the nod".

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2010, 10:53:37 PM »
I have seen a car with A Majesticker(seewhatididther) and i was all like  :metal :metal :metal

i saw one on a truck that was covering the entire rear windown and i was like :eek :metal

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2010, 11:00:54 PM »
I'm the same way. Were you at a rockcats game?

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2010, 12:32:58 AM »
I feel the same, only if he's not wearing the SC shirt. \
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2010, 07:37:17 AM »
I'm the same way. Were you at a rockcats game?
Yes, it was a Rockcats game.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2010, 07:44:06 AM »
I was working at the Y one morning and one of the parents was talking to one of the swim instructors about music, mostly classic rock.  I entered the conversation, and he name-dropped DT.  Needless to say, we shared our love of the band that alienated everyone else.  Turns out he went to the Score show and he's a pretty cool guy.  Its really cool to see DT/Rush shirts around, especially in silly NC.