Author Topic: "This Song is in Rock Band 2!"  (Read 12647 times)

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
Re: "This Song is in Rock Band 2!"
« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2010, 08:08:58 PM »
Being a musician is more than just ripping 1000 notes/second. There's the whole thing about working with other people in a band, actually being able to write songs, etc.

For one thing, I couldn't agree with you more. I really dislike the shred genre if there is no emotion in the music. So for that reason, 'shred' was probably the wrong word in my original post.

I do think i should point out though that people don't play RB to feel like they're in an actual band. Or at least I don't.
IMO the game is designed to connect people's brains to the music they hear and create. And actual instruments do that as well.
With the new control, they eliminate the difference between the buttons and the frets.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
Re: "This Song is in Rock Band 2!"
« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2010, 09:04:40 PM »
Being a musician is more than just ripping 1000 notes/second. There's the whole thing about working with other people in a band, actually being able to write songs, etc.

For one thing, I couldn't agree with you more. I really dislike the shred genre if there is no emotion in the music. So for that reason, 'shred' was probably the wrong word in my original post.

I do think i should point out though that people don't play RB to feel like they're in an actual band. Or at least I don't.
IMO the game is designed to connect people's brains to the music they hear and create. And actual instruments do that as well.
With the new control, they eliminate the difference between the buttons and the frets.

Keep in mind, this is an option. They'll still have the regular modes and everything for those who don't want to invest time into playing 102-button controllers.
This just seems like the next logical step. Harmonix is very good with their community and how they listen to the fans. They support Rock Band 1 and 2 with DLC like no other developer does. Plus, unlike Activision, Harmonix allows the expansion games to be exportable, so Green Day and The Beatles are not exclusive to those games.
With that in mind, I don't see Harmonix screwing this up. They are too good a developer at this type of game in order to not get this right. This is a chance for them to give music games the added 'push' that they've been needing for over a year now.

Besides, I'm a musician, and I don't see why someone wouldn't be excited for this addition. It means, in a group of friends, maybe only one person can play guitar and he chooses to play Pro, whereas everyone else just plays the standard way. Its a useful option.
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.