Author Topic: The Bad Thing About The Epic Songs...  (Read 7788 times)

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
The Bad Thing About The Epic Songs...
« on: July 11, 2010, 03:57:01 PM »
I was having a conversation with Axman last night in Worcester and saying that the bad thing about a band like Dream Theater who write such long and epic songs is if you miss the tour of that album, you rarely get the chance to see them live. I saw Octavarium on that tour and Count and Nightmare on this tour, but odds are I will never get to see Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence or A Change of Seasons live. Just as fans who missed this tour probably won't ever get to experience TCOT live in its entirety. That's just the way it is and one of the pitfalls of a band that writes this kind of lengthy material.
Maybe someday they will perform a night of just there longest epic gems. That would be very cool, and I would be quite excited for a night like that.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Jarlaxle

Re: The Bad Thing About The Epic Songs...
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 04:13:03 PM »
I agree. I have only seen them play ITPOE, and apart from that, chances are about 0.1% that I will never see any of the epics you mentioned live :sadpanda:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 04:13:58 PM »
I think TCOT is short enough (in other words, not too long) to where I could see it being somewhat of a mainstay on future tours.  Not every tour, but like every other one or something.  

But I know what you mean.  I could see them an all epics concert as a one-off at some point, but never as an every night kind of thing.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 04:17:13 PM »
I think TCOT is short enough (in other words, not too long) to where I could see it being somewhat of a mainstay on future tours.  Not every tour, but like every other one or something.  

This. Also, the fact that the next tour is going to be An Evening With makes it more likely that the audience gets to see more than one epic (assuming that there's going to be one on the next album) or one song that's longer than 15 minutes imo.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 04:25:58 PM »

This. Also, the fact that the next tour is going to be An Evening With makes it more likely that the audience gets to see more than one epic (assuming that there's going to be one on the next album) or one song that's longer than 15 minutes imo.
has there been a confirmation on the Evening With's?

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 04:43:08 PM »
This just reinforces my belief that the Evening With shows will be my only chance to see Octavarium before I die, unless DT do some crazy 'final show.'

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 04:47:52 PM »
Makes me glad that I've seen all the epics.  The evening with are the best shows to got to for a band like DT.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 04:50:39 PM »

But I know what you mean.  I could see them an all epics concert as a one-off at some point, but never as an every night kind of thing.
Well, TCOT is a shade over 19 minutes long so I still think it might fall into the category of too long to play very often, imo. I guess time will tell. Its 5 minutes shorter then Octavarium but it still takes up a good chunk of time.
I guess the fact that I love A Change Of Seasons and doubt I will ever see it again is the main thought when I started this thread. I hope if the next tour is indeed an evening with tour, DT might consider this song as an epic encore. I would go insane!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 06:02:35 PM »
While not the whole song, TCOT has great spots that could be used as segueways in a medley, big time.  Remember the medley they did on the SC tour?  Imagine a medley where the end of "Trial of Tears" goes into the guitar swelling section of "The Count..." and then they play the rest of the song, ending the medley off with that?  That could be sweet.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 06:02:55 PM »

Yes, their next tour (not a tour opening for someone else) will be a return to the "Evening With" format.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 06:14:11 PM »

Yes, their next tour (not a tour opening for someone else) will be a return to the "Evening With" format.

I have never seen an "Evening With DT" concert. Hopefully there are some shows that come to my side of Canada

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 06:21:50 PM »

I have never seen an "Evening With DT" concert. Hopefully there are some shows that come to my side of Canada
Usually DT hits the biggest cities in Canada (Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, Winnipeg, etc.)
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2010, 06:32:50 PM »
I went out to Calgary when they played there for PN09, saw both shows and was blown away. But I didn't go to the show in Saskatoon SK, which is like an hour away because I didn't want to pay $100 to watch Dream Theater for 50 minutes and then watch a band I don't like afterwards. Also, I just cannot really afford to be throwing 100 dollar bills away since I am going to school this fall. Hopefully they hit up Saskatoon again, even Calgary, Edmonton or Winnipeg and I'd be there punching clouds in the front row  :metal

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2010, 07:32:20 PM »
I hope they stop by new mex
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2010, 08:02:24 PM »
Yeah, I see what you mean for once.  But when some shows get a song like ITNOG like on this tour, it makes that show extra special, I think.

Offline zmazar

• "Ride the wings of dreams."
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2010, 08:08:16 PM »
Yeah I am kind of bummed out that I'll never seen Scenes played live, or SDOIT.  But that's why I go to as many shows as I can now.  So that I never miss out on anything. 

If there was a villain who could only be defeated through the sheer awesomeness of music, then rest assured that LTL would be on batman's MP3 utility belt player.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2010, 01:26:28 AM »
An Special Evening With Dream Theater Tour 2011

Set 1:

A Nightmare to Remember
Beyond This Life
In The Presence of Enemies
The Count of Tuscany

Set 2:

A Change of Seasons
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
A Mind Beside Itself
Octavarium

Encore:

The Glass Prison
This Dying Soul
The Root of All Evil
Repentance
The Shattered Fortress

2nd Encore:

Metropolis Pt. 1

Offline moffatt

• Lost fanboi
  • Head & Shoulders > L'oreal
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2010, 01:27:56 AM »
I could see the guys doing a big 30th anniversary tour with a few epics in each setlist.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2010, 01:33:34 AM »
I could see the guys doing a big 30th anniversary tour with a few epics in each setlist.

DT's version of Yes' Masterworks Tour? I'd see it... heck, I'd see it twice if I could afford it!

2015, here I come! Now only if I had Doc Brown's Delorean, I could just skip the next 5 years and see it already...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2010, 02:01:06 AM »
An Special Evening With Dream Theater Tour 2011

Set 1:

A Nightmare to Remember
Beyond This Life
In The Presence of Enemies
The Count of Tuscany

Set 2:

A Change of Seasons
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
A Mind Beside Itself
Octavarium

Encore:

The Glass Prison
This Dying Soul
The Root of All Evil
Repentance
The Shattered Fortress

2nd Encore:

Metropolis Pt. 1

Even if I tried as hard as I could, I wouldn't be able to take genuine piss breaks that add up to 55 minutes.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2010, 02:18:29 AM »

by then theyll probably have 3 or 4 more epics (at the rate theyve been going)

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2010, 09:55:12 AM »
This has probably been discussed before, but I wonder what the shortest DT setlist could be.  It could definitely include ACoS and Octavarium.  What's their third and fourth longest songs?
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2010, 10:04:36 AM »
If their next album doesn't include any epics, then I think DT will most likely bring back ACoS as their epic, as it hasn't been played in full the longest out of the ones we have

Online The Letter M

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2010, 11:23:32 AM »
This has probably been discussed before, but I wonder what the shortest DT setlist could be.  It could definitely include ACoS and Octavarium.  What's their third and fourth longest songs?

So, in other words, something akin to Transatlantic's setlists, or Marillion's recent release Size Matters?

I'd say maybe something like this...

1. Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence (fading chord changes and segues into...)
2. Trial Of Tears
3. Erotomania/Voices/The Silent Man
4. Learning To Live
---Intermission---
5. In The Presence Of Enemies
6. In The Name Of God (with JR piano-ending segue into...)
7. Octavarium
8. The Count Of Tuscany
Encore - A Change Of Seasons

I know there's nothing from SFAM, but I just couldn't think of what to put in there... had I put "Finally Free", it would be at the end of the first set and "The Glass Prison" would surely open the second set, but I've "been there done that" before with fantasy set lists...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2010, 11:54:39 AM »

Those are their third and fourth longest.  :lol  The top 5 by song length:

1.  Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (42:04)
2.  In the Presence of Enemies (25:40)
3.  Octavarium (24:00)
4.  A Change of Seasons (23:06)
5.  The Count of Tuscany (18:48)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2010, 11:57:19 AM »
I'm into a set list like this one:

1. A Nightmare to remember
2. Beyond this life
3. Take the time
4. Raise the knife
5. Light fuse and get away
6. Erotomania
7. Voices
8. The Silent man
9. A Change of seasons
- - - - - -
10. Six degrees of inner turbulence
11. In presence of enemies
- - - - - - -
12. Octavarium

Three hours. Leave 12 steps suite for different occasions. I had to sacrifice The Count, because it would be just too much.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2010, 12:16:08 PM »
As long as they end up on CD/DVD is fine with me.  I didn't even get to see the Black Clouds tour and the last epic I can remember seeing live is ITPOE on the SC tour.  It also depends on where you are and what the setlist is for that particular show.  Like you said, that's just the way it is.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2010, 12:28:58 PM »
I've seen ITPOE and The count live...But I must say I got really freaking happy when They did Razor's Edge on the CiM...There were chills all over me :D

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2010, 12:32:18 PM »

Those are their third and fourth longest.  :lol  The top 5 by song length:

1.  Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (42:04)
2.  In the Presence of Enemies (25:40)
3.  Octavarium (24:00)
4.  A Change of Seasons (23:06)
5.  The Count of Tuscany (18:48)
Now that's a hell of  Transatlantic style set list! :tup

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2010, 02:40:55 PM »
Even though I've only seen them live once, I did get Six Degrees and Octavarium, so good times were had.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2010, 04:01:17 PM »
What up Hef?  I thought you've been to tons of shows.  At any rate, you picked a hell of show to see.   :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2010, 04:11:49 PM »
Hef sees everything.  :mordor:  He just hasn't been to more than one show.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2010, 04:47:33 PM »
 :lol

Offline bobs23

• human mic stand
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2010, 08:11:45 PM »
Remember on the TOT tour ACOS was played quite often. The EW format allows them a lot more freedom with the setlists. Look back on the tourography during the TOT and 8V tours, there was some major epicry happening on many of the shows. I would count on the AA saga being played on the next tour more than once. You should also see some of the mini epics(12 to 17 min. songs) also. It's much easier to play with a 3 hour set than a 90 or 2 hour set.

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2010, 11:47:55 PM »
the only Epic i havent seen live in its entirety is ACOS. i would LOVE to see it too