Author Topic: Question on WDADU Remaster  (Read 3128 times)

Offline John94

Question on WDADU Remaster
« on: July 10, 2010, 06:37:57 AM »
Would it be worth buying? I have most of my music on my iPod and I hate the fact that in comparison to other Dream Theater albums, the quality is a bit poor. I know some remastered albums have came in for some criticism so I wanted a few opinions on it before I splurge my cash on it!

Much appreciated.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
Re: Question on WDADU Remaster
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 06:44:18 AM »
As far as I know, the remaster doesn't sound that much different from the original. The major problem with this album isn't the mastering, but the poor mix imo. It would need to be remixed and remastered for a decent sound, but I doubt that this will ever happen.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 09:46:16 AM »
Oh, it sounds a little different.  But both versions are bad, just different kinds of bad.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 12:15:33 PM »
yea i have the remaster, it's really no different than the original, just louder

just get When Dream and Day Re-Unite. it's much more enjoyable  :metal

Offline John94

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 02:41:52 PM »
I only really want a louder version of WDADU without having to adjust the volume levels all the time, so yeah, I will probably get it. Does it sound a bit more clearer due to the increase in volume?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 02:54:34 PM »
No.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Chagny

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 03:04:25 PM »
I don't like the remaster because there's no lyrics booklet in it.

Offline dtfanswang

• Every Cloud has a Silver Lining~
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 01:32:43 AM »
The Remaster release by AAO Music is better than One Way Records & original,

The AAO Music one is great, a real remastered one.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 02:57:22 AM »
I only really want a louder version of WDADU without having to adjust the volume levels all the time

... What?

Mentlegen.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 03:29:14 AM »
I was completely unaware it had been remastered. Are there other remastered DT albums I don't know about?
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 03:34:22 AM »
I was completely unaware it had been remastered. Are there other remastered DT albums I don't know about?

I don't think that any other DT album has been remastered so far.

Mentlegen.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 05:22:09 AM »
No.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2010, 02:32:14 AM »
i didnt know either! wtf

* btw i mean remix, not remaster, in my previous post

Offline Rich Wilson

• Forum VIP
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2010, 09:27:52 AM »
Thought I'd post the section of the book that deals with the bad sound on that album!

“It didn’t sound that good,” sighs John. “I really don’t know why, but maybe it was just our inexperience. We all played the music to the best of our ability. There were a lot of notes, orchestration and instrumentation going on, and we were an inexperienced band. The keyboards were inexpensive, and it’s not like we had state of the art stuff. We just had to work with what we had.”
“Terry is an amazing producer and mixer and he has an incredible track record,” argues Mike. “But that was probably the worst produced album he has ever made. Everything else he has done – like the albums he made later with Pantera, Soundgarden or White Zombie – sounds great. I think it was the limited budget and perhaps because we had keyboards in our band which was something he wasn’t used to. Maybe that compromised the mix as he was working with an instrument he wasn’t used to. I don’t know. Obviously the production and the mix sounds low budget and didn’t do the album justice.”
Charlie Dominici: “That album reminds me of a powerful animal that’s stuck in a cage. Mainly because of the production, but also the time restrictions of getting it all done in three weeks, and the limitations of the producer himself. My opinion is that Terry Date had a tin ear. The highs are a little trashy and the lows aren’t very fat, and the way he buried my voice? He made it sound like I was two inches tall. Other than that, I really feel the playing and writing, though not necessarily the vocals, was the real essence of the band.”
David Prater, who would produce two of the band's later albums, was also scathing of the album’s sound. “I didn’t hear their first record until long after I met them. But when I finally did I was gob-smacked by how bad it sounded,” he says. “I mean it’s several degrees out of phase in the stereo soundstage. Terry Date was a very
fashionable producer at the time, but this record didn’t bolster his pedigree. I think he just became indifferent and stopped caring. It sounds like they were mixing by committee: ‘Turn my bass up!’, ‘No, you’re too loud!’, ‘No I’m not!’. Wasn’t it Churchill who once said, ‘A dromedary is a camel designed by committee?’”
In hindsight, Terry Date is in open agreement that the record suffered as a result of the time and financial constraints imposed on the band by their record label, but maintains he is still proud of the album and what it ultimately achieved.
“You can’t really work that fast and be particular about the sounds,” he says. “At the time, I was all wide-eyed and innocent anyway and just happy to go and rip the record without worrying about the consequences. It’s all about the music in the long-run anyway, and the sound is a bonus. So performances were everything, and with the shorter time you suffer as you have to cut corners somewhere. These days, I would have budgeted and begged for more time. But it was what it was, and if that band from 1988 came to me right now and asked me to do the record, I would ask for probably five weeks minimum just to record it. I’m never completely happy with everything I do and there is always something that can be done better. But considering the parameters we had to work in, yeah I’m really happy with it. It did its job and it launched the band. The purpose was really just to expose the band to a larger audience.”

Offline RobD

• Jedi-Pirate
  • JimJam YaHA!
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2010, 09:42:34 AM »
3 weeks to record a DT record is just insane. I'm surprised that they even had time to mix it at all.
Pure. Refreshing. Bacon.
Clearly, RobD is a genius.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2010, 09:45:05 AM »
Thanks, Rich.  This quote from Terry Date really made me just roll my eyes:

It did its job and it launched the band. The purpose was really just to expose the band to a larger audience.

What?  It neither launched the band in any real sense, nor exposed them to a larger audience.  Yes, they built an extremely small group of fans during this period, but by and large, almost anybody who was paying attention would agree that hardly anyone even noticed them until Images & Words was out and Pull Me Under started getting airplay.  I&W "launched the band" and exposed them to a larger audience.  WDADU and all the broken promises that came with it almost undid them before they even really got started.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2010, 11:07:32 AM »
^That^

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2010, 01:39:34 PM »
Thought I'd post the section of the book that deals with the bad sound on that album!

“It didn’t sound that good,” sighs John. “I really don’t know why, but maybe it was just our inexperience. We all played the music to the best of our ability. There were a lot of notes, orchestration and instrumentation going on, and we were an inexperienced band. The keyboards were inexpensive, and it’s not like we had state of the art stuff. We just had to work with what we had.”
“Terry is an amazing producer and mixer and he has an incredible track record,” argues Mike. “But that was probably the worst produced album he has ever made. Everything else he has done – like the albums he made later with Pantera, Soundgarden or White Zombie – sounds great. I think it was the limited budget and perhaps because we had keyboards in our band which was something he wasn’t used to. Maybe that compromised the mix as he was working with an instrument he wasn’t used to. I don’t know. Obviously the production and the mix sounds low budget and didn’t do the album justice.”
Charlie Dominici: “That album reminds me of a powerful animal that’s stuck in a cage. Mainly because of the production, but also the time restrictions of getting it all done in three weeks, and the limitations of the producer himself. My opinion is that Terry Date had a tin ear. The highs are a little trashy and the lows aren’t very fat, and the way he buried my voice? He made it sound like I was two inches tall. Other than that, I really feel the playing and writing, though not necessarily the vocals, was the real essence of the band.”
David Prater, who would produce two of the band's later albums, was also scathing of the album’s sound. “I didn’t hear their first record until long after I met them. But when I finally did I was gob-smacked by how bad it sounded,” he says. “I mean it’s several degrees out of phase in the stereo soundstage. Terry Date was a very
fashionable producer at the time, but this record didn’t bolster his pedigree. I think he just became indifferent and stopped caring. It sounds like they were mixing by committee: ‘Turn my bass up!’, ‘No, you’re too loud!’, ‘No I’m not!’. Wasn’t it Churchill who once said, ‘A dromedary is a camel designed by committee?’”
In hindsight, Terry Date is in open agreement that the record suffered as a result of the time and financial constraints imposed on the band by their record label, but maintains he is still proud of the album and what it ultimately achieved.
“You can’t really work that fast and be particular about the sounds,” he says. “At the time, I was all wide-eyed and innocent anyway and just happy to go and rip the record without worrying about the consequences. It’s all about the music in the long-run anyway, and the sound is a bonus. So performances were everything, and with the shorter time you suffer as you have to cut corners somewhere. These days, I would have budgeted and begged for more time. But it was what it was, and if that band from 1988 came to me right now and asked me to do the record, I would ask for probably five weeks minimum just to record it. I’m never completely happy with everything I do and there is always something that can be done better. But considering the parameters we had to work in, yeah I’m really happy with it. It did its job and it launched the band. The purpose was really just to expose the band to a larger audience.”

Now I really want to read the book!  I haven't yet!  GGJKILSJGFSEG
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Rich Wilson

• Forum VIP
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2010, 11:42:26 AM »
Now I really want to read the book!  I haven't yet!  GGJKILSJGFSEG

Well, we're currently working on the cover for the softback (paperback) edition of the book that is out later this summer, and without wishing to sound like I'm hawking it, there are still a few copies that are left over at www.liftingshadows.com

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2010, 12:20:00 PM »
In 1992, I thought I&W was their debut album.  In a sense, according to what Bosk said, it was their debut.  I didn't find out about WDADU until a few years later.

I only really want a louder version of WDADU without having to adjust the volume levels all the time

... What?

That was my reaction.  I can't imagine having a louder version of WDADU.

"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2010, 02:43:18 PM »
I don't really know how not having to switch volume controls all the time is a decent justification for a remaster that basically features the same album with a higher loudness level.

Mentlegen.