Author Topic: Thinking about learning bass  (Read 6104 times)

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
Re: Thinking about learning bass
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2009, 07:11:05 PM »
I'm not even sure which I have tried, i know for sure some cheap Ibanez, and it wasn't too bad unplugged, wish i could have heard the electric tone on it though. although for some reason it did make my right hand hurt, which hasn't happened with any other acoustic bass...  ???
https://concertculture.blogspot.com/

https://brakmusic.tumblr.com/

And on the 8th day, God created Dream Theater. God then proceeded to rock out with his cock out.

Offline cookiemonster

• FANBOY
  • I am the cookie monster
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2009, 01:00:43 PM »
Bass players are usually the smartest person in any given band.  Drummers are the most obnoxious.  Guitarists are the most flashy.  its the truth.  Think about that before you decide what to take up olol

Yes, let's stereotype! I'm bassist in one band and drummer in another, what does that make me? Smart in the first band and obnoxious in the second?

:facepalm:

Btw, the bass, although I am mainly a drummer, is a favorite of mine. Although a rock/metal band may not have a bassist and do ok sound-wise (to a certain level of course), there are truly creative bassists that take music to new heights.

good luck.

Offline Icebear

• The Sleeper
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2009, 06:04:24 AM »
The fun part of being a bass player, to me, is to be able to influence the music in a more subtle way. I mean, a drummer or a guitarist can do something flashy or over-the-top and get noticed, but as a bass player you can get away with things since you're "flying under the radar". And that in itself is a nice challenge. You'll rarely get standing ovations after the gig, because to the people watching, the drumsolo or guitar spot is what stood out. But from the guys in the band, you'll get quiet appreciation because they know how much your holding things together means.

Not that guitarists or drummers have to be that way. It's kind of a stereotype. But in general, bass offers people, who are not necessarily very concerned about being front and center, the opportunity to do some cool stuff in the background. Stuff that makes the music so much better without it being very obvious.

Plus, it's nice to be the one who makes the floor and walls rumble...

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2009, 03:48:06 PM »
The fun part of being a bass player, to me, is to be able to influence the music in a more subtle way. I mean, a drummer or a guitarist can do something flashy or over-the-top and get noticed, but as a bass player you can get away with things since you're "flying under the radar". And that in itself is a nice challenge. You'll rarely get standing ovations after the gig, because to the people watching, the drumsolo or guitar spot is what stood out. But from the guys in the band, you'll get quiet appreciation because they know how much your holding things together means.

Not that guitarists or drummers have to be that way. It's kind of a stereotype. But in general, bass offers people, who are not necessarily very concerned about being front and center, the opportunity to do some cool stuff in the background. Stuff that makes the music so much better without it being very obvious.

pretty much. i love doing little cool things behind the band, they make the band sound a little more up to par, and when people notice it's great to get a little more appreciation.
https://concertculture.blogspot.com/

https://brakmusic.tumblr.com/

And on the 8th day, God created Dream Theater. God then proceeded to rock out with his cock out.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2009, 09:29:59 PM »

pretty much. i love doing little cool things behind the band, they make the band sound a little more up to par, and when people notice it's great to get a little more appreciation.
It's a much better feeling when your playing live and people are comparing it to a recording. It's kind of funny to see there faces when they are watching you play your parts... :metal
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies