Author Topic: THE Judas Priest thread - v. new album and tour in 2024  (Read 220105 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: THE Judas Priest thread - v. new album and tour in 2024
« Reply #2660 on: March 15, 2024, 09:50:04 AM »
Ha! Yeah, the two bands I'm still acquiring albums from are Priest and Thin Lizzy. I have most from both, but still need some acquisitions. I haven't heard a note of Priest's Point of Entry. I'm just finishing Invincible Shield for another time. I'll fire up Spotify and put on Point of Entry next. Again, never heard a note from it, unless one of the big singles is from it.

Heading Out To The Highway
Hot Rockin'
Desert Plains

« Last Edit: March 15, 2024, 09:58:00 AM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2661 on: March 15, 2024, 10:00:54 AM »
I just put it on. The only one I'm familiar with is "Heading Out to the Highway." "Don't Go" just started.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2662 on: March 15, 2024, 11:02:59 AM »
I only like Head Out to the Highway and Desert Plains ( :metal).  I just can't get into any other songs from that album. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2663 on: March 15, 2024, 11:06:22 AM »
Solar Angels FTW.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2664 on: March 15, 2024, 11:26:34 AM »
I only like Head Out to the Highway and Desert Plains ( :metal).  I just can't get into any other songs from that album.

Those are the only good songs on that album.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2665 on: March 15, 2024, 11:31:53 AM »
yeah, I gotta say, I wasn't impressed. It's not bad, per se, but it just felt like everything was running in place. No real ebbs and flows. I liked Head Out to the Highway and Desert Plains. Those jumped out on first listen. But everything seemed very...samey. I don't know. I'll listen to it again, but other than those two songs, which are the standouts, but not necessarily "GREAT," just good, nothing else really surfaced on my first listen to the album.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2666 on: March 15, 2024, 12:36:24 PM »
yeah, I gotta say, I wasn't impressed. It's not bad, per se, but it just felt like everything was running in place. No real ebbs and flows. I liked Head Out to the Highway and Desert Plains. Those jumped out on first listen. But everything seemed very...samey. I don't know. I'll listen to it again, but other than those two songs, which are the standouts, but not necessarily "GREAT," just good, nothing else really surfaced on my first listen to the album.

That's not an unfair take.  It's 10 songs that all have relatively the same vibe and which range between 3:17 - 4:36.

I'm not a fan of the verses of Don't Go, but the chorus and break are great.  Hot Rockin' kicks ass (I posted something about it in response to a Stadler comment, but it must have been in a different thread).  Turning Circles starts off odd, but it's really solid once it gets going.  Solar Angels might be the most different song on the album, and it probably could have been greatly improved with a bit more length and build-up.  I'm not much of a fan of the last four songs.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2667 on: March 15, 2024, 12:38:39 PM »
My ranking is something like this...

Screaming for Vengeance
Stained Class
Painkiller
Sad Wings of Destiny
Invincible Shield
Firepower
Defenders of the Faith
Sin after Sin
British Steel
Redeemer of Souls
Nostradamus
Point of Entry
Jugulator
Angel of Retribution
Killing Machine
Rocka Rolla
Turbo
Ram it Down
Demolition

I'm surprised that Rocka Rolla is so low. It's a very late 60's, early 70's British heavy metal record, ala Sabbath and Zeppelin, IMO. I'd even compare it to the first two Kiss records; they're not British, but same influences.

Rocka Rolla is a lot more spacey to me than Sabbath or Zeppelin. It has more in common with Lonesome Crow and the first two UFO albums to me. Sabbath and Zeppelin are more stronger and somewhat direct.

And I can't compare it to the first two Kiss albums in anyway. Those were well written concise songs. Rock Rolla is all over the place.

I never have any inkling to listen to it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2668 on: March 15, 2024, 01:07:00 PM »

No.  I don't know if he'd say "BEST", but I'm with El Barto on "Solar Angels" and for me it IS the best song on the album.  I also think "Don't Go" is excellent, as is "Turning Circles".

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2669 on: March 15, 2024, 01:10:03 PM »
My ranking is something like this...

Screaming for Vengeance
Stained Class
Painkiller
Sad Wings of Destiny
Invincible Shield
Firepower
Defenders of the Faith
Sin after Sin
British Steel
Redeemer of Souls
Nostradamus
Point of Entry
Jugulator
Angel of Retribution
Killing Machine
Rocka Rolla
Turbo
Ram it Down
Demolition

I'm surprised that Rocka Rolla is so low. It's a very late 60's, early 70's British heavy metal record, ala Sabbath and Zeppelin, IMO. I'd even compare it to the first two Kiss records; they're not British, but same influences.

Rocka Rolla is a lot more spacey to me than Sabbath or Zeppelin. It has more in common with Lonesome Crow and the first two UFO albums to me. Sabbath and Zeppelin are more stronger and somewhat direct.

HAHAHAHAHA, I had "Sabbath and UFO" at first and changed it!!  :) I thought you'd kick back at the UFO reference, since there's nowhere near the Schenker level of guitar playing on Rocka Rolla. 

And I can't compare it to the first two Kiss albums in anyway. Those were well written concise songs. Rock Rolla is all over the place.

I never have any inkling to listen to it.

Fair point; I was thinking of the guitar tones more than anything.  That gritty Gibson through a Marshall sound. There really isn't anything like Run of the Mill or that Winter sequence on ANY Kiss album let alone the first two.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2670 on: March 15, 2024, 01:11:16 PM »

No.  I don't know if he'd say "BEST", but I'm with El Barto on "Solar Angels" and for me it IS the best song on the album.  I also think "Don't Go" is excellent, as is "Turning Circles".
I prefer Desert Planes (not gonna abbreviate that one here), but the two are definitely the best on the album.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2671 on: March 15, 2024, 01:12:44 PM »

I prefer Desert Planes (not gonna abbreviate that one here), but the two are definitely the best on the album.

Why not? That'd make a hell of a sig!  :)

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2672 on: March 15, 2024, 01:34:45 PM »
Point of Entry and Ozzy Diary of a Madman were the first CDs I ever bought... I wanna say 1985?  when did CDs come to market?  I was so excited to hear in full clarity and not with the ole album pops and crackles or low quality cassettes 
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2673 on: March 15, 2024, 01:51:13 PM »

HAHAHAHAHA, I had "Sabbath and UFO" at first and changed it!!  :) I thought you'd kick back at the UFO reference, since there's nowhere near the Schenker level of guitar playing on Rocka Rolla. 

I was thinking the FIRST TWO UFO albums...pre Schenker.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2674 on: March 15, 2024, 01:56:25 PM »

I was thinking the FIRST TWO UFO albums...pre Schenker.

Never heard them. 

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2675 on: March 15, 2024, 05:46:42 PM »

They were trying for an AC/DC vibe on that record. Short, simple, catchy, not heavy. (Back in Black had come out shortly before).

Rocka Rolla is more blues rock than anything, definitely not metal.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2676 on: March 16, 2024, 12:38:31 AM »
Solar Angels FTW.

Oh yes! That's always been a favourite of mine from that album.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2677 on: March 16, 2024, 01:40:03 AM »
There's a passage in Escape from Reality (at least I hope it's that song, heard it yesterday late at night coming home from a concert  ;D) where they suddenly go into Sabbath-esque territory, both the music and Rob's delivery which reminds a bit of Ozzy.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2678 on: March 16, 2024, 05:10:56 AM »
I really like that passage. Rob does a fantastic Ozzy there.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2679 on: March 16, 2024, 05:22:06 AM »
Dipping around in the back catalogue between Shield listens and other bands. Nowhere near familiar enough to have strong opinions but they're quite an unusual band, it seems to me. The style is quite all over the place. There are plenty of bits that remind me of that era of British punk and pop among the classic rock, and some experimental/out-there tracks where Rob especially is going for something quite different.

V much enjoying it, though. Nice to discover something very, very late, if you know what I mean.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 09:31:13 AM by DoctorAction »
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2680 on: March 16, 2024, 06:31:44 AM »

They were trying for an AC/DC vibe on that record. Short, simple, catchy, not heavy. (Back in Black had come out shortly before).
I've always felt Point of entry sounded the way it did because Breaking the law, United and Living after midnight had come out shortly before.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2681 on: March 16, 2024, 06:53:32 PM »
V much enjoying it, though. Nice to discover something very, very late, if you know what I mean.

That's me - I had the Metal Works greatest hits cd for YEARS before going through the majority of the older albums a couple of years ago.  I knew Rocka Rolla would not be my thing, so there's no point in listening to it.  I have followed them from Jugulator onward, but was content with a greatest hits and just the major metal albums of their catalog (Painkiller, British Steel, SFV) for a long time. 

I've found some deeper tracks that I like, but for the most part, I know how I want my Priest to sound - heavy as shit with a great production. 

Offline emtee

« Reply #2682 on: March 18, 2024, 05:53:04 AM »
Just read that Invincible Shield has charted higher in the UK than ANY of their previous albums. #2.

Congrats to the band for this incredible feat!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2683 on: March 18, 2024, 07:37:09 AM »
It charted well also in Italy.

Italy has a strong metalhead underground, but the keyword is underground. It's rare for metal albums to actually chart. Mid to small bands play in smaller venues than they do in other parts of Europe. So for a metal band, no matter how big, to actually chart in Italy it's a very strong feature!

Also, as much as it pains me since Bruce Dickinson is my musical god, I have to say I'm enjoying Invincible Shield more. It's not that I dislike The Mandrake Project, there's not a single song there that I would remove from the album - it's just that the new Priest album conquers me even more!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2684 on: March 18, 2024, 07:54:15 AM »
I've only listened to Invincible shield twice so far, and my first impressions are pretty good. I don't think it will top Firepower, that album just shocked us by how amazing it was, and the highlights on it were remarkable, but this one is also stunningly consistent for a band that's been doing this for so long.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2685 on: March 18, 2024, 08:48:00 AM »
I've only listened to Invincible shield twice so far, and my first impressions are pretty good. I don't think it will top Firepower, that album just shocked us by how amazing it was, and the highlights on it were remarkable, but this one is also stunningly consistent for a band that's been doing this for so long.

I feel /felt the same as you as I love Firepower.... but the sonic greatness of I S  and spending more spins with I S has me now thinking its as good or maybe better
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2686 on: March 18, 2024, 09:03:15 AM »
There's a passage in Escape from Reality (at least I hope it's that song, heard it yesterday late at night coming home from a concert  ;D) where they suddenly go into Sabbath-esque territory, both the music and Rob's delivery which reminds a bit of Ozzy.

I was thinking that yesterday while listening to it in the car.  I was thinking of a "coda" to my review!

To that end, I got the deluxe version from Target over the weekend, and can add the following:

One, I didn't realize that Andy Sneap produced the record, but Tom Allom was involved for "Priest Metal Insight", whatever that is. :).  Whatever it is, it's GOOD!   

Also, the artwork on the deluxe version - by Mark Wilkinson of Marillion/Fish/Iron Maiden fame - is stellar.  There are some awesome paintings in there; more or less one for each song.  The one for "The Serpent And The King" is amazing, as is the one for "As God Is My Witness".   

Offline emtee

« Reply #2687 on: March 18, 2024, 09:40:42 AM »

I feel /felt the same as you as I love Firepower.... but the sonic greatness of I S  and spending more spins with I S has me now thinking its as good or maybe better

I spun both of them back-to-back this weekend. The new car smell of IS as well as the heavier mix of songs has me thinking IS is a little better overall.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2688 on: March 18, 2024, 10:08:58 AM »
Looks like they changed their setlist to include more new music  :metal

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2689 on: March 18, 2024, 10:35:06 AM »
Looks like they changed their setlist to include more new music  :metal

hopefully they can add and not subtract any of the hits..: )
« Last Edit: March 18, 2024, 11:14:39 AM by EPICVIEW »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2690 on: March 18, 2024, 10:57:04 AM »
I've actually been listening more and more of the album and liking it more and more.

Also, as much as it pains me since Bruce Dickinson is my musical god, I have to say I'm enjoying Invincible Shield more. It's not that I dislike The Mandrake Project, there's not a single song there that I would remove from the album - it's just that the new Priest album conquers me even more!

I mentioned this before as I didn't think it was a fair comparison, but couldn't help myself from thinking about the two given the timing and felt the same way.  While I respect Bruce and his album is more diverse, this JP album is more in line with what I like in metal music.  The guitars and catchy chorus type of music.  This album also sounds way better.  The production is nice.  I'd say Bruce's vocals blow away Rob's (generally, IMO), but I do actually think the production helps Rob here where it hurts Bruce on his album a bit.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2691 on: March 18, 2024, 11:15:28 AM »
 :metal

I spun both of them back-to-back this weekend. The new car smell of IS as well as the heavier mix of songs has me thinking IS is a little better overall.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #2692 on: March 18, 2024, 01:46:44 PM »

I was thinking that yesterday while listening to it in the car.  I was thinking of a "coda" to my review!

To that end, I got the deluxe version from Target over the weekend, and can add the following:

One, I didn't realize that Andy Sneap produced the record, but Tom Allom was involved for "Priest Metal Insight", whatever that is. :).  Whatever it is, it's GOOD!   

Also, the artwork on the deluxe version - by Mark Wilkinson of Marillion/Fish/Iron Maiden fame - is stellar.  There are some awesome paintings in there; more or less one for each song.  The one for "The Serpent And The King" is amazing, as is the one for "As God Is My Witness".

Yes to all of this! I got the deluxe as well, and the artwork is really good!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2693 on: March 22, 2024, 03:06:50 AM »
Dang, they cranked out yet another good album this late in the game. The Serpent and the king is probably my favorite, Rob sounds absolutely insane on it. Panic attack, Gates of hell and Escape from reality are also amazing. I do prefer Firepower overall, though, the songs on that one that are great are better than this album's highlights.

Updated ranking:

Screaming for vengeance
Point of entry
Painkiller
Sin after sin
Angel of retribution
Defenders of the faith
Brittish steel
Killing machine
Firepower
Sad wings of destiny
Stained class
Invincible shield
Nostradamus
Rocka rolla
Turbo
Redeemer of souls
Jugulator
Ram it down
Demolition

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2694 on: March 22, 2024, 03:10:02 AM »
I've listened to the album twice and I'm enjoying it more than Firepower and RoS. Very solid effort.

Early favourite is Trial by Fire.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.