Author Topic: THE Judas Priest thread - v. new album and tour in 2024  (Read 220140 times)

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
Re: THE Judas Priest thread - v. new album and tour in 2024
« Reply #2590 on: March 11, 2024, 04:55:30 PM »
^^^ I'm a Priest fan from way back (saw the Screaming... tour) and pretty much SFV and DOTF are their two best albums, IMO.  I have others that are favorites, but in terms of PRIEST! and their sound, those tare the ones. I always thought Painkiller was overrated, frankly.  Turbo and Ram It Down should have been one album, as intended, and it might have been better.

as an old skool Judas fan since Hell Bent tour... I was super happy and sorta knocked out when then broke thru with British Steel..  I have to say that was a very exciting time as till then they were not very popular..  in many ways 1979 80  81 82 was to me when METAL formed out of the greats like Thin Lizzy, Sabbath with Priest taking from Lizzy and Maiden taking from Lizzy and Metal was made..  I was also really really into Aerosmith after loving the Beatles
« Last Edit: March 11, 2024, 05:31:13 PM by EPICVIEW »
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2591 on: March 11, 2024, 05:06:49 PM »
....1979 80  81 82 was to me when METAL formed out of the greats like Thin Lizzy with Priest taking from Lizzy and Maiden taking for Lizzy and Metal was made..  I was also really really into Aerosmith after loving the Beatles

My favorite 3 album run from Aerosmith is Night In The Ruts-Rock In A Hard Place-Done With Mirrors.

Call me nuts but 1979-1982 Aerosmith was actually my favorite period of the band. Throw in Joe Perry's first two albums in there while we're at it, especially I've Got The Rock n Rolls Again.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2592 on: March 11, 2024, 05:24:46 PM »
....1979 80  81 82 was to me when METAL formed out of the greats like Thin Lizzy with Priest taking from Lizzy and Maiden taking for Lizzy and Metal was made..  I was also really really into Aerosmith after loving the Beatles

My favorite 3 album run from Aerosmith is Night In The Ruts-Rock In A Hard Place-Done With Mirrors.

Call me nuts but 1979-1982 Aerosmith was actually my favorite period of the band. Throw in Joe Perry's first two albums in there while we're at it, especially I've Got The Rock n Rolls Again.

I love every Aero since the first one.. a sleeper fav of mine is Permanent Vacation   I saw JPP open for Ozzy w Randy   that show also had Def Leppard on their first US tour

bro   has there ever been an Aerosmith thread here?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2024, 05:29:48 PM by EPICVIEW »
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2593 on: March 11, 2024, 05:31:50 PM »
Listened to more Priest in one day today than I ever have before, I think.

Apart from a few songs here and there, previous experience was Sad Wings on vinyl as a kid, Ram It Down, Painkiller and Jugulator - and Painkiller was the only one of those I really dug.

After a terrific play through of Invincible Shield this morning (I like it better without the bonus tracks btw) I played through SFV and DOTF, neither had I heard before and enjoyed them a lot. It's surprising to me how often a "radio" feel cropped up among the shredding.

I canned Turbo halfway through the opening number. I've always enjoyed the Ram It Down title track but not the rest and I didn't make it through the second track. Listened to half of Painkiller which I know and love very well.

Back on the Shield as I type. Keeps getting more fun!

RID is one of the spottiest albums ever created.  Some absolute tripe but if you search through the songs, Hard as Iron and Blood Red Skies are classics.  I'm a Rocker is a classic to me too but I guess that's debatable to some.  Monsters of Rock is decent too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2594 on: March 11, 2024, 05:33:30 PM »

Apart from a few songs here and there, previous experience was Sad Wings on vinyl as a kid, Ram It Down, Painkiller and Jugulator - and Painkiller was the only one of those I really dug.

After a terrific play through of Invincible Shield this morning (I like it better without the bonus tracks btw) I played through SFV and DOTF, neither had I heard before and enjoyed them a lot. It's surprising to me how often a "radio" feel cropped up among the shredding.

I canned Turbo halfway through the opening number. I've always enjoyed the Ram It Down title track but not the rest and I didn't make it through the second track. Listened to half of Painkiller which I know and love very well.

RID is one of the spottiest albums ever created.  Some absolute tripe but if you search through the songs, Hard as Iron and Blood Red Skies are classics.  I'm a Rocker is a classic to me too but I guess that's debatable to some.  Monsters of Rock is decent too.

agreed  and  RID is not a fav of mine... would come towards the bottom of my list actually

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #2595 on: March 11, 2024, 05:53:31 PM »
^^^ I'm a Priest fan from way back (saw the Screaming... tour) and pretty much SFV and DOTF are their two best albums, IMO.  I have others that are favorites, but in terms of PRIEST! and their sound, those tare the ones. I always thought Painkiller was overrated, frankly.  Turbo and Ram It Down should have been one album, as intended, and it might have been better.

as an old skool Judas fan since Hell Bent tour... I was super happy and sorta knocked out when then broke thru with British Steel..  I have to say that was a very exciting time as till then they were not very popular..  in many ways 1979 80  81 82 was to me when METAL formed out of the greats like Thin Lizzy, Sabbath with Priest taking from Lizzy and Maiden taking from Lizzy and Metal was made..  I was also really really into Aerosmith after loving the Beatles

:tup

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #2596 on: March 11, 2024, 05:54:54 PM »

agreed  and  RID is not a fav of mine... would come towards the bottom of my list actually

SAME

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #2597 on: March 11, 2024, 05:56:07 PM »
I'll still put BRITISH STEEL up against ANY classic metal album!

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #2598 on: March 11, 2024, 05:58:44 PM »
Have to say I'm really disappointed in the JP setlist. ONLY 3 NEW songs  :censored :censoredand rest of set, other than Saints In Hell (which was played on last tour), it's same ol' same ol'! :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2599 on: March 11, 2024, 06:17:13 PM »

I find it one of their most overrated albums.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2600 on: March 11, 2024, 06:22:26 PM »

:metal :tup

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #2601 on: March 11, 2024, 06:24:49 PM »

Same. They over-simplified the style of the previous albums.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2602 on: March 11, 2024, 06:30:42 PM »

I find that impossible as it has STEELER on it and that song still is smoldering like a volcano as i type this.. its still on fire and smoking,  its never gone out ..  so it cant be rated still to this day... :  )
« Last Edit: March 12, 2024, 09:10:10 AM by EPICVIEW »

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #2603 on: March 11, 2024, 07:00:32 PM »
Fun fact: The new album rips

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #2604 on: March 11, 2024, 07:06:11 PM »

Isn't that like saying "Number of the Beast" is overrated? Impossible!  ;)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2605 on: March 11, 2024, 07:09:26 PM »

There are plenty around here that have done just that.

I like British Steel, but well, I don't know if I'd call it overrated, I mean it's an iconic album for sure, but...
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2606 on: March 11, 2024, 07:13:10 PM »
I always thought Painkiller was overrated, frankly.

???

In the last 25-30 years of being on internet forums and email discussion lists, I can recall exactly one person making this statement.  And it happened today.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #2607 on: March 11, 2024, 07:13:51 PM »
 :lol

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2608 on: March 11, 2024, 07:16:35 PM »

???

In the last 25-30 years of being on internet forums and email discussion lists, I can recall exactly one person making this statement.  And it happened today.

that made me laugh   

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2609 on: March 11, 2024, 07:21:20 PM »

???

It's not Stadler's kind of metal/hard rock. Priest went "next level" in terms of metal with Painkiller.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2610 on: March 11, 2024, 08:09:10 PM »

Except I wouldn't call TNOTB overrated.

Offline emtee

« Reply #2611 on: March 12, 2024, 03:40:51 AM »
Not sue if YT links are OK so I won't post them, but new vids from Glasgow are up with performances of Panic Attack and Invincible Shield.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2612 on: March 12, 2024, 04:27:17 AM »
Not sue if YT links are OK so I won't post them, but new vids from Glasgow are up with performances of Panic Attack and Invincible Shield.

There's quite a few more there too.  Watched Painkiller just before.  Considering Rob's age, it's totally fine really.  A bit think obviously but really quite cool.

Richie is a monster too.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2613 on: March 12, 2024, 07:40:44 AM »

You really need to listen to Stained Class. I also echo what Wolfking said about Ram it Down, lots of good stuff on there.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2614 on: March 12, 2024, 01:58:49 PM »

???

It's not Stadler's kind of metal/hard rock. Priest went "next level" in terms of metal with Painkiller.

It's not.

By the way, "Night In The Ruts" is probably my favorite Aerosmith album.   Then "Get Your Wings" and then "Toys In The Attic".

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2615 on: March 12, 2024, 02:08:30 PM »
Gates of Hell is a sick song.  This is very much hitting my power metal love without being full blown power metal.  Great song.

A few more listens in from yesterday and I'm digging the album. 

I don't know if it's a good comparison, but considering the timing and the similarities between Rob and Bruce, I'm digging Invincible Shield more than the Mandrake Project.

Have to say I'm really disappointed in the JP setlist. ONLY 3 NEW songs  :censored :censoredand rest of set, other than Saints In Hell (which was played on last tour), it's same ol' same ol'! :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Even as a "new" fan and my first time seeing them coming up next month, I'd rather see some of these new songs over the same ole same ole.  Was hoping to see closer to 5 than 3 of the new songs.  Maybe it'll change when they come to the US? I don't follow them closely to gauge how they do things.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2616 on: March 12, 2024, 02:09:40 PM »

???

It's not.

By the way, "Night In The Ruts" is probably my favorite Aerosmith album.   Then "Get Your Wings" and then "Toys In The Attic".

Now there's an overrated album.   :)

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2617 on: March 12, 2024, 02:21:26 PM »

???

It's not.

all are great   I too love Night in the Ruts 

Offline nick_z

« Reply #2618 on: March 12, 2024, 04:00:21 PM »

I don't know if it's a good comparison, but considering the timing and the similarities between Rob and Bruce, I'm digging Invincible Shield more than the Mandrake Project.

I'm more of a Maiden/Dickinson guy than a JP guy (although I love them too)...but I couldn't agree more. Invincible Shield sounds so good and it's such a blast.

Maybe it's time for Maiden and/or Bruce to start working with Sneap now! (Not that I'm complaining about Maiden's recent albums, actually...but, jokes aside, as Tim observed, it really seems like Sneap can get the best out of the "older", classic guys. And production is definitely one thing where Maiden could use some sprucing up, I think)

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2619 on: March 12, 2024, 04:40:25 PM »
Thanks for the tips re RID, all. I'll check out some of those tunes. I used to own it on CD so they might come back to me. Will check Stained Class too.

Listened to British Steel and SFV again today. BS (haha!) was also fun but enjoyed SFV more.

Also love the idea of a different approach from Maiden in the production stakes. V much doubt this will happen, though.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2620 on: March 12, 2024, 05:25:27 PM »
Gates of Hell is a sick song.  This is very much hitting my power metal love without being full blown power metal.  Great song.

A few more listens in from yesterday and I'm digging the album. 

Even as a "new" fan and my first time seeing them coming up next month, I'd rather see some of these new songs over the same ole same ole.  Was hoping to see closer to 5 than 3 of the new songs.  Maybe it'll change when they come to the US? I don't follow them closely to gauge how they do things.

This may actually be my fav on the album.  The chorus is tremendous and Richie's solo is world class.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #2621 on: March 12, 2024, 10:30:49 PM »
Invincible Shield is currently the #1 highest rated album of the year on Rate Your Music! Really cool to see!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2622 on: March 13, 2024, 08:10:17 AM »
Ranking time!

Stained Class
Painkiller
Sad Wings of Destiny
Defenders of the Faith
Screaming for Vengeance
Sin after Sin
Ram it Down
Invincible Shield
Firepower
Killing Machine
Angel of Retribution
Redeemer of Souls
British Steel
Turbo
Nostradamus
Rocka Rolla
Point of Entry
Jugulator
Demolition

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2623 on: March 13, 2024, 08:26:20 AM »
Ranking time!

Stained Class
Painkiller
Sad Wings of Destiny
Defenders of the Faith
Screaming for Vengeance
Sin after Sin
Ram it Down
Invincible Shield
Firepower
Killing Machine
Angel of Retribution
Redeemer of Souls
British Steel
Turbo
Nostradamus
Rocka Rolla
Point of Entry
Jugulator
Demolition

Knock Painkiller down to RiD territory and that's pretty close to my top tier. Point of Entry moves up a bit on the strength of Solar Angels and Desert Plains. It's certainly better than British Steel (which is highly overrated).
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #2624 on: March 13, 2024, 08:42:34 AM »
British Steel
Screaming for Vengeance
Hell Bent for Leather
Point of Entry
Invincible Shield
Defenders of the Faith
Stained Class
Redeemer of Souls