Author Topic: THE Judas Priest thread - v. new album and tour in 2024  (Read 220748 times)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
Re: THE Judas Priest thread - v. new album and tour in 2024
« Reply #2555 on: March 08, 2024, 02:47:18 PM »
I don't know; I kind of like The Lodger for what it is.  It's not on the album proper, and it's a little bit of something different.  I haven't seen this in any interviews or anything but I am convinced it's based on the novel of the same name which makes it a bit of fun.

This song was composed only by Bob Halligan Jr., who contributed on (Take These) Chains and Some Heads Are Gonna Roll. The rest of album was composed by Halford/Tipton/Faulkner, all according to Spotify.
It makes sense, The Lodger is the most different song on the album.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 03:21:39 PM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2556 on: March 08, 2024, 04:01:58 PM »
Does the CD booklet point to any solos by Glenn?

I don't know; I kind of like The Lodger for what it is. 

Me too.

I wish Maiden would bring the riffs like this.

That’s never been Maiden’s game.

Also noteworthy that Priest have new young blood keeping them at a high level, I doubt this would be the case if Glenn and KK were still there. Yeah, KK's stuff is cool but not close to new Priest. Maiden are geezers and still doing some high level stuff too.

I don't know if I'd call Richie Faulkner new blood any more. I think it has to do more with Andy Sneap really pushing the musical direction. He did that when Mark Tornillo joined Accept, and is largely responsible for their direction especially on Blood Of The Nations.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2557 on: March 08, 2024, 04:46:44 PM »
My favorite spot on the album is the three album run of Crown Of Horns-As God Is My Witness-Trial By Fire.

Also really love the title track. Probably my #1 on the album. The solo is  :metal

The handful of tracks after Trial By Fire could easily be cut in half. The album kind of limps towards the end a bit.

It sounds as if Axl Rose is singing the verses of Fight Of Your Life.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2558 on: March 08, 2024, 05:45:45 PM »
Does the CD booklet point to any solos by Glenn?

I don't have the CD mate but listening to this, no, there's nothing here from Glenn, unfortunately.  Maybe there's some rhythm guitars, but leads, there may be a couple of easy fills here and there in verses and things, but I'm reaching, it's all Richie.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2559 on: March 08, 2024, 10:16:51 PM »
Listening now and nothing in the liner notes about who does what, but I did find this article that states Glenn only played on 4 songs. Doesn't name them.

https://www.revolvermag.com/music/i-dont-give-fk-rob-halford-judas-priests-outspoken-new-album-invincible-shield

Both Tipton and Faulkner were heavily involved in the making of Invincible Shield, though Tipton only physically played on four songs.

"His guitar playing has been limited by Parkinson's, but his input for this album has been indelible," Halford says. "He's been hands-on every step of the way. His overview of the arrangements, the lyrics, the production, the mixing — everything — is there with us."
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #2560 on: March 09, 2024, 01:22:00 AM »
Looking forward to seeing Judas Priest live at Graspop this summer.

I’ve been listening to a few of their tracks for years now, primarily Painkiller and the Firepower album. I’ve never been able to get into Iron Maiden, I miss heaviness in their sound and badass riffs. Judas Priest has that in spades.

I’ve been enjoying their new singles a lot and can’t wait to listen to the full album. Still have to dive into their classics but sound-wise their latest two albums sound like something I really enjoy. It’s kind of weird and special that a veteran band can sound this vital.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2561 on: March 09, 2024, 11:45:56 AM »
Heard it once today while relatively busy but overall the first impression is good. Someone mentioned As God is My Witness as one of the standout tracks and, of the "new" ones, I tend to agree. Gonna have to spend many more listenings with this!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline nick_z

« Reply #2562 on: March 09, 2024, 12:14:28 PM »
For now, I'm gonna just say I'm enjoying this VERY much

(actually, random comment - I've read someone say the beginning of Panic Attack sounds like a mix of Tom Sawyer and DT's New Millennium...can't say I disagree ;) I think someone here on DTF noted a Tom Sawyer reference in the instrumental section too)

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2563 on: March 09, 2024, 03:03:31 PM »
I just posted part of this post over in the albums thread, but had to make an appearance here as well.

I'm honestly so bowled over by this album. Judas Priest have always been one of those older metal bands I can enjoy, but never came close to being one of my favourites. If I'm talking about my all time favourite metal bands/albums, then my ground zero is basically Metallica's Kill 'Em All. Thrash is where metal REALLY got good as far as I'm concerned. I appreciate the stuff that came before, and it's importance in Metallica's existence in the first place, but generally it's doesn't get my blood pumping in the same way. That's just a background on where I've been at with Priest, ever since getting into metal.

I wasn't even going to check this album out, but Glasser kinda convinced me (cheers dude). Well, it hit me like a ton of bricks yesterday and I can't even really explain it, but I know it's predominantly about the fucking riffs! A good barometer for me is how much I air guitar to a riff/solo.

Well let me tell you, this thing has had me air guitaring whilst cooking, in the shower and whilst I'm taking a shit. That says it all. Invincible Shield just makes me want to bang my head and shred my air guitar. The production is also of the highest order, and everything just feels beefy.

I'm on my third listen through since yesterday, and those first 3 or 4 songs in particular have just floored me. I can't quite comprehend how a band of guys who, for the most part, are all in their 70s, have it in them. It's like the reverse of my awe for early Enslaved where Ivar was writing groundbreaking black metal at like 13 and 14. It adds a level of respect for the album to be honest.

It's also got me thinking about Metallica and their latest album. Purely my opinion, but Invincible Shield has heart and soul, and a level of energy that I find lacking on 72 Seasons. Also, the riffs (and yes, I will keep harping on about the riffs) felt recycled and stale on 72 Seasons for me, whilst these ones feel fresh. It in no way feels like a band going through the motions. I've had a bit of a feeling of disappointment that Metallica don't seem to still have it in them to record an album this good.

Maybe this year will be the year I become a Priest convert.

Oh, also, count me as one of those who digs The Lodger :metal

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2564 on: March 09, 2024, 03:09:03 PM »
I liked a lot of the new songs I’ve heard.

But for the Metallica comparison, keep in mind that the dudes in Metallica writing the riffs have been doing so for 40 years while the guy writing the bulk of the riffs for the new JP has been doing so for a little over 10 years. Hard to compare energy.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2565 on: March 09, 2024, 03:10:51 PM »
I liked a lot of the new songs I’ve heard.

But for the Metallica comparison, keep in mind that the dudes in Metallica writing the riffs have been doing so for 40 years while the guy writing the bulk of the riffs for the new JP has been doing so for a little over 10 years. Hard to compare energy.

That's fair, and shows my ignorance around the inner workings of Judas Priest. Carry on.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2566 on: March 09, 2024, 05:39:17 PM »
I saw an interview with Richie where he said that Glenn wrote a decent amount of riffs. The problem was he could not play what was in his head. Glenn had several sit downs with Richie where he would describe and teach Richie the riff until it was what Glenn had in his head. He said Glenn was very present in directing the band in the studio.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2567 on: March 09, 2024, 09:12:18 PM »
I just posted part of this post over in the albums thread, but had to make an appearance here as well.

I'm honestly so bowled over by this album. Judas Priest have always been one of those older metal bands I can enjoy, but never came close to being one of my favourites. If I'm talking about my all time favourite metal bands/albums, then my ground zero is basically Metallica's Kill 'Em All. Thrash is where metal REALLY got good as far as I'm concerned. I appreciate the stuff that came before, and it's importance in Metallica's existence in the first place, but generally it's doesn't get my blood pumping in the same way. That's just a background on where I've been at with Priest, ever since getting into metal.

I wasn't even going to check this album out, but Glasser kinda convinced me (cheers dude).
Well, it hit me like a ton of bricks yesterday and I can't even really explain it, but I know it's predominantly about the fucking riffs! A good barometer for me is how much I air guitar to a riff/solo.

Well let me tell you, this thing has had me air guitaring whilst cooking, in the shower and whilst I'm taking a shit. That says it all. Invincible Shield just makes me want to bang my head and shred my air guitar. The production is also of the highest order, and everything just feels beefy.

I'm on my third listen through since yesterday, and those first 3 or 4 songs in particular have just floored me. I can't quite comprehend how a band of guys who, for the most part, are all in their 70s, have it in them. It's like the reverse of my awe for early Enslaved where Ivar was writing groundbreaking black metal at like 13 and 14. It adds a level of respect for the album to be honest.

It's also got me thinking about Metallica and their latest album. Purely my opinion, but Invincible Shield has heart and soul, and a level of energy that I find lacking on 72 Seasons. Also, the riffs (and yes, I will keep harping on about the riffs) felt recycled and stale on 72 Seasons for me, whilst these ones feel fresh. It in no way feels like a band going through the motions. I've had a bit of a feeling of disappointment that Metallica don't seem to still have it in them to record an album this good.

Maybe this year will be the year I become a Priest convert.

Oh, also, count me as one of those who digs The Lodger :metal

Cheers! Priest has many eras, all very different. Stained Class, Defenders of the Faith, and Screaming for Vengeance are my personal favorites, but if you are enjoying this I would recommend revisiting or checking out Firepower and Painkiller for sure. I also personally like Redeemer of Souls and Angel of Retribution a lot as well.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2568 on: March 10, 2024, 05:19:49 AM »
I saw an interview with Richie where he said that Glenn wrote a decent amount of riffs. The problem was he could not play what was in his head. Glenn had several sit downs with Richie where he would describe and teach Richie the riff until it was what Glenn had in his head. He said Glenn was very present in directing the band in the studio.

What a genius.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2569 on: March 10, 2024, 06:03:40 AM »
Heard it this morning again and it sounds very solid.

If this is their last album, I'm gonna discard the bonus tracks and consider Giants in the Sky as their official final song:

Giants in the sky
You won't ever die
Giants in the sky
You won't ever die
Giants in the sky
You....
Won't ever....
Dieeeeeee!!!!!

:metal

Of course Judas Priest's music will never die!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline emtee

« Reply #2570 on: March 10, 2024, 09:41:34 AM »
Two spins under my belt. Almost unbelievable that guys of their age could make an album this great.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #2571 on: March 10, 2024, 01:07:57 PM »
Two spins under my belt. Almost unbelievable that guys of their age could make an album this great.

It really is UNBELIEVABLE but, the proof is in the METAL! :metal

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2572 on: March 10, 2024, 06:32:31 PM »
Heard it this morning again and it sounds very solid.

If this is their last album, I'm gonna discard the bonus tracks and consider Giants in the Sky as their official final song:

Giants in the sky
You won't ever die
Giants in the sky
You won't ever die
Giants in the sky
You....
Won't ever....
Dieeeeeee!!!!!

:metal

Of course Judas Priest's music will never die!

Yes, quite a fitting end to the standard edition of the album, and of their career as well if that ends up to be their last studio album.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2573 on: March 10, 2024, 07:54:27 PM »
I like this album a lot...  and its growing on me... has the feel at times of Robs solo stuff,, I kinda miss the sweetness and fun of Firepower.  but I get that they really wanted to do a Metal CD this time.
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2574 on: March 11, 2024, 05:20:46 AM »
Yeah, it gets better with every listening.

I'm glad I didn't overplay the singles - I just got sucked in by Crown of Horns 'cause it's so damn catchy, but by the time the album came, I basically forgot about Panic Attack and I can enjoy it with relatively fresh ears.

There are no duds on this album, only songs that are better than some other ones.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2575 on: March 11, 2024, 06:01:57 AM »
It's hard to believe that Halford is 72 years old when listening to the end of Trial By Fire, for instance. I wonder how he's going to pull that off live.

Are they still doing all the songs in the original key live, or have the dropped some of them? Off the back catalogue I mean.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2576 on: March 11, 2024, 09:32:20 AM »
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2577 on: March 11, 2024, 12:42:42 PM »
5 videos until now. Maybe the 5 new songs on the next tour?
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2578 on: March 11, 2024, 01:17:45 PM »
I've never been much of a JP fan. I just never got into them and mostly wasn't a huge fan of Rob's vocals.  It just never connected.  I've also never seen them live before.  I have wanted to see them live though and since it seems that it may actually happen for me soon, I decided to listen to the new album.  It's pretty good, definitely enjoy guitars and production of the album, sounds good.  But I still, just can't get into Rob's vocals.  They are fine on some songs, and others, it just isn't for me.  I'm only on my second listen today, but my first spin was overall still pretty positive.  Not sure if this will change my overall feelings though about JP (probably not, maybe the live show will?).

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2579 on: March 11, 2024, 01:28:42 PM »
I've never been much of a JP fan. I just never got into them and mostly wasn't a huge fan of Rob's vocals.  It just never connected.  I've also never seen them live before.  I have wanted to see them live though and since it seems that it may actually happen for me soon, I decided to listen to the new album.  It's pretty good, definitely enjoy guitars and production of the album, sounds good.  But I still, just can't get into Rob's vocals.  They are fine on some songs, and others, it just isn't for me.  I'm only on my second listen today, but my first spin was overall still pretty positive.  Not sure if this will change my overall feelings though about JP (probably not, maybe the live show will?).

I hear you. Oddly, given my age and my love for metal my entire life, Judas Priest is remarkably not anywhere near a favorite for me.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #2580 on: March 11, 2024, 02:18:01 PM »
I became an IMMEDIATE FAN of PRIEST back in 1978 when they SUPPORTED ANGEL (who I was there to see) at 2 shows I saw at the palladium in NYC! The twin guitar attack and searing vocals of Rob Halford hit me immediately. From that point on, I was ALL IN on THE METAL GODS! To THIS DAY, my favorite metal band, BY FAR of ALL TIME! :metal

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2581 on: March 11, 2024, 02:48:24 PM »
I became an IMMEDIATE FAN of PRIEST back in 1978 when they SUPPORTED ANGEL (who I was there to see) at 2 shows I saw at the palladium in NYC! The twin guitar attack and searing vocals of Rob Halford hit me immediately. From that point on, I was ALL IN on THE METAL GODS! To THIS DAY, my favorite metal band, BY FAR of ALL TIME! :metal

Love this post   I was there!!! that was some effin show... I thought when rob brought out the bike and revved it the ceiling was gonna cave in   crazy times as it feels like just a few months later Iron Maiden with Paul opened for JP at the Palladium ... I wish I could remember those days better .. was a big blur

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #2582 on: March 11, 2024, 02:51:24 PM »

Love this post   I was there!!! that was some effin show... I thought when rob brought out the bike and revved it the ceiling was gonna cave in

:tup I was floored! :omg:

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2583 on: March 11, 2024, 02:53:29 PM »

Love this post   I was there!!! that was some effin show... I thought when rob brought out the bike and revved it the ceiling was gonna cave in

and I still love ANGEL     WHITE HOT IS SO CLASSIC 

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2584 on: March 11, 2024, 02:56:21 PM »

DTww   did you see Maiden with Paul open for JP after that show ( was it months later  a year late? I cant remember) but that was also some show   .. Palladium was a great place

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #2585 on: March 11, 2024, 03:30:48 PM »

DTww   did you see Maiden with Paul open for JP after that show ( was it months later  a year late? I cant remember) but that was also some show   .. Palladium was a great place

Yep. I've attended EVERY JP tour in NY/NJ since becoming aware of them from their support slot for ANGEL (who I still love to this day). Saw Maiden open for Priest MANY TIMES! :metal

Yeah, the Palladium was a great theater! In the '70's & '80's my two rock theaters were the Palladium and the Capitol Theater in Passaic, NJ. Saw so many shows at both places!

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2586 on: March 11, 2024, 04:03:19 PM »
Listened to more Priest in one day today than I ever have before, I think.

Apart from a few songs here and there, previous experience was Sad Wings on vinyl as a kid, Ram It Down, Painkiller and Jugulator - and Painkiller was the only one of those I really dug.

After a terrific play through of Invincible Shield this morning (I like it better without the bonus tracks btw) I played through SFV and DOTF, neither had I heard before and enjoyed them a lot. It's surprising to me how often a "radio" feel cropped up among the shredding.

I canned Turbo halfway through the opening number. I've always enjoyed the Ram It Down title track but not the rest and I didn't make it through the second track. Listened to half of Painkiller which I know and love very well.

Back on the Shield as I type. Keeps getting more fun!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2587 on: March 11, 2024, 04:48:31 PM »
^^^ I'm a Priest fan from way back (saw the Screaming... tour) and pretty much SFV and DOTF are their two best albums, IMO.  I have others that are favorites, but in terms of PRIEST! and their sound, those tare the ones. I always thought Painkiller was overrated, frankly.  Turbo and Ram It Down should have been one album, as intended, and it might have been better. 

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2588 on: March 11, 2024, 04:48:39 PM »

Yep. I've attended EVERY JP tour in NY/NJ since becoming aware of them from their support slot for ANGEL (who I still love to this day). Saw Maiden open for Priest MANY TIMES! :metal

Yeah, the Palladium was a great theater! In the '70's & '80's my two rock theaters were the Palladium and the Capitol Theater in Passaic, NJ. Saw so many shows at both places!

we attended many of the same shows!!! yes I saw Maiden open for Priest every time they opened LOL    loved all those venues also    best of times 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2589 on: March 11, 2024, 04:49:20 PM »
I played through SFV and DOTF, neither had I heard before and enjoyed them a lot.

WOW!!