Author Topic: THE Judas Priest thread - v. new album and tour in 2024  (Read 220346 times)

Offline Dream Team

Re: THE Judas Priest thread - v. new album and tour in 2024
« Reply #2520 on: March 07, 2024, 10:42:08 AM »
The last several are very good. I spun Anger Of Retribution last night and there are some bangers on it.
Redeemer, despite some odd sonic choices, is also enjoyable. Firepower rocks. I can pretty much pull any of their albums off the shelf and enjoy it from beginning to end. I can't say that about many bands.

It helps that most of their albums have a unique style and aren't all "same old, same old".

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2521 on: March 07, 2024, 01:41:44 PM »
Friday morning in AU and I am listening to IS via YTM, first thing that hit me is how good the production and mix are.
So far I'm impressed, but I know with 14 songs, there may be a dip in quality  :biggrin:
Waiting on the Blu-Spec CD2 to come from Japan for the full audio nerd experience.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2522 on: March 07, 2024, 06:18:56 PM »
Friday morning in AU and I am listening to IS via YTM, first thing that hit me is how good the production and mix are.
So far I'm impressed, but I know with 14 songs, there may be a dip in quality  :biggrin:
Waiting on the Blu-Spec CD2 to come from Japan for the full audio nerd experience.

Was going to pick this one up but looks like JB are 'out of stock' on the deluxe edition.  :\
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2523 on: March 07, 2024, 06:53:33 PM »
Having a listen now.

The title track fucking slays.  Has traces of Hell Bent, Starbreaker and Rob at parts in the chorus sounds like RID era to me.  Verse reminds me of some heavier Gamma Ray too.  Really well written song.

Devil in Disguise reminds me of mid tempo Megadeth too.

Gates of Hell has an awesome catchy chorus.  Sounds like Halford 4 a little, but better.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2524 on: March 07, 2024, 07:35:03 PM »
This album is a beast.  Loses a bit of steam near the end but I think a relisten will fix that.  Everything here is well above par, except the Lodger, that's pretty crap.  Dunno what the fuck they were thinking here, the chorus is terrible but everything else is fucking quality.

It's such a shame Glenn was in no shape to play anything here (lead wise, who knows about rhythm) but Richie is weapon, great guitar player.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2525 on: March 07, 2024, 07:58:34 PM »
This album is a beast.  Loses a bit of steam near the end but I think a relisten will fix that.  Everything here is well above par, except the Lodger, that's pretty crap.  Dunno what the fuck they were thinking here, the chorus is terrible but everything else is fucking quality.

It's such a shame Glenn was in no shape to play anything here (lead wise, who knows about rhythm) but Richie is weapon, great guitar player.

I'm totally pumped for this!!!! I wonder how it hold up against Firepower?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2526 on: March 07, 2024, 08:07:19 PM »

I'm totally pumped for this!!!! I wonder how it hold up against Firepower?

Couldn't comment on that yet.  Will need a lot of listens.  It's hard to see it topping Firepower though, but it's very strong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2527 on: March 07, 2024, 08:08:19 PM »
Actually, when Firepower has songs like Rising and Traitor, yeah, don't see what's here that could top those, in isolation.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2528 on: March 07, 2024, 08:12:02 PM »
Actually, when Firepower has songs like Rising and Traitor, yeah, don't see what's here that could top those, in isolation.

I hope the production is like Painkiller and Firepower. Those 2 songs are beasts!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2529 on: March 07, 2024, 08:12:51 PM »
Yeah, it sounds amazing.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #2530 on: March 07, 2024, 09:08:22 PM »
except the Lodger, that's pretty crap.  Dunno what the fuck they were thinking here, the chorus is terrible

Good news is it’s a bonus track so it doesn’t affect the quality of the actual album. ;)

That, Fight of Your Life and Vicious Circle are bonus tracks.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2531 on: March 07, 2024, 09:11:00 PM »
except the Lodger, that's pretty crap.  Dunno what the fuck they were thinking here, the chorus is terrible

Good news is it’s a bonus track so it doesn’t affect the quality of the actual album. ;)

That, Fight of Your Life and Vicious Circle are bonus tracks.

Yeah, I knew that, sorry should have mentioned that.  The other two were as enjoyable as a lot of songs on the album though.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2532 on: March 07, 2024, 09:45:19 PM »
17 minutes till available on Spotify    ...again not that im counting the minutes  : )
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #2533 on: March 07, 2024, 10:49:46 PM »
PRIEST...PRIEST...PRIEST!!!! Loving this! :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #2534 on: March 07, 2024, 11:16:03 PM »
Just finished listening to it and man that hour just flew by. The production once again is fantastic as usual but I come to expect that with Sneap at the helm. The entire band sound energized and clearly put their all into it. Especially Rob who sounds fantastic here. While I don't hate The Lodger it's definitely the closest thing to a clunker on the album and I can see how it got relegated to the deluxe edition.

One of the stand out tracks for me is As God is my Witness. The instrumentation gives me Hard as Iron vibes and I just love the energy.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2535 on: March 08, 2024, 05:29:03 AM »
A nice interview with Ian Hill from a few days ago.

https://www.allmusic.com/blog/post/judas-priests-ian-hill-discusses-new-album

And I can't wait to spend the weekend with the new album. I loved Firepower and this one seems to be just as good.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2536 on: March 08, 2024, 08:28:16 AM »
On my first listen, and this fucking thing CRUSHES. Really impressed.  :metal
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2537 on: March 08, 2024, 08:31:26 AM »
I'm loving the album.  It's amazing that they can deliver something like this so late in their career - the last two have been killer and Redeemer of Souls was really cool too.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2538 on: March 08, 2024, 08:33:18 AM »
TBH, Grapp, I thought Redeemer, Firepower, and now this, are easily some of the standouts from their entire catalog. Just sonically, they sound massive. I'm blown away Rob can sound like this in his 70s.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2539 on: March 08, 2024, 08:52:33 AM »

One of the stand out tracks for me is As God is my Witness. The instrumentation gives me Hard as Iron vibes and I just love the energy.

This one blew me away on first listen.  :metal

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #2540 on: March 08, 2024, 09:35:13 AM »
Holy fucking shit this album is incredible!

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2541 on: March 08, 2024, 09:48:38 AM »
Holy fucking shit this album is incredible!

I'm not even a Judas Priest fan, but....

This!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2542 on: March 08, 2024, 09:50:34 AM »
Just placed my order for the expanded edition at Target. Almost forgot. I will pick it up after work. Glad I remembered to grab it before it sold out.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2543 on: March 08, 2024, 09:56:18 AM »
Also loving the album! Comparing to Firepower, my first impression is that Firepower has somewhat a bit more personality than this one, but, it's a very tiny complaint, since the quality of the compositions is excellent. Another minor one, I wish they expanded a bit the instrumental part on Giants in the Sky, after that flamenco guitar solo (so short and very Michael Schenker-ish! :heart).
Anyway, very happy with the Faulkner era as I also really like a lot Redeemer - I just think it doesn't have the same sound quality than Firepower and Invicible.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2544 on: March 08, 2024, 10:14:33 AM »
Great as expected, but I will say that I think it’s missing some of that 70s style light and shade that Faulkner kind of hinted would be there. Rob does indeed sound phenomenal.

I wish Maiden would bring the riffs like this.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2545 on: March 08, 2024, 10:42:15 AM »
TBH, Grapp, I thought Redeemer, Firepower, and now this, are easily some of the standouts from their entire catalog. Just sonically, they sound massive. I'm blown away Rob can sound like this in his 70s.

After seeing them live in 2022, I tended to listen to Redeemer and Firepower more than the classic albums.  Painkiller will always be their high-water mark though. 

I love that they just put the pedal to the metal and didn't let up given their ages.  Instrumentally, this album has songs that keep up with a lot of the stuff on Painkiller and wouldn't sound out pf place next to them and Halford somehow laid down vocals that are just as strong as 30 years ago. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2546 on: March 08, 2024, 10:58:06 AM »

That’s never been Maiden’s game.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2547 on: March 08, 2024, 11:08:22 AM »
Listened to this on a car journey today. Not a Priest super-fan but this is great!

As God Is My Witness was my favourite on first listen. I made jaw drop faces and bit my lip when that chorus dropped.  :metal
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #2548 on: March 08, 2024, 11:18:15 AM »
My only problem with this album is that I'm going to be pissed off seeing them live if they don't play all these songs....well, NOT The Lodger but you get my drift! This album is fooking METALTASTIC! :hefdaddy :metal :metal :metal

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2549 on: March 08, 2024, 11:41:36 AM »
My only problem with this album is that I'm going to be pissed off seeing them live if they don't play all these songs....well, NOT The Lodger but you get my drift! This album is fooking METALTASTIC! :hefdaddy :metal :metal :metal

Yeah, for me, they need to represent this with at least five songs. I do feel the three bonus tracks are on the weak side. Glad they aren't on the album proper. (Although they are on my CD.) When I rip the CD, I'll shuffle those three into a b-sides compilation for Priest that I have. But yes, they need to play a lot of the record.

Sadly, no tour dates by me except for a festival I'm not going to attend. So have to cross my fingers they come back and play properly.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2550 on: March 08, 2024, 12:36:14 PM »
I don't know; I kind of like The Lodger for what it is.  It's not on the album proper, and it's a little bit of something different.  I haven't seen this in any interviews or anything but I am convinced it's based on the novel of the same name which makes it a bit of fun. 

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #2551 on: March 08, 2024, 12:42:43 PM »
I don't know; I kind of like The Lodger for what it is.  It's not on the album proper, and it's a little bit of something different.  I haven't seen this in any interviews or anything but I am convinced it's based on the novel of the same name which makes it a bit of fun.

I think I did read that somewhere. I do like the chorus of "vengeance is mine".

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2552 on: March 08, 2024, 12:43:32 PM »

That’s never been Maiden’s game.

Also noteworthy that Priest have new young blood keeping them at a high level, I doubt this would be the case if Glenn and KK were still there. Yeah, KK's stuff is cool but not close to new Priest. Maiden are geezers and still doing some high level stuff too.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #2553 on: March 08, 2024, 12:44:55 PM »

Yeah, for me, they need to represent this with at least five songs.

Agreed...but what 5? That leaves AT LEAST 6 for me to complain about! :mehlin

Offline emtee

« Reply #2554 on: March 08, 2024, 02:03:44 PM »
They did it again! So many great riffs. You keep thinking the next song has to drop off but then you get kicked in the nads again. Superior sonic values too. Everything is clear and punchy. It's a metal masterclass.