Author Topic: THE Judas Priest thread - v. new album and tour in 2024  (Read 219947 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: THE Judas Priest thread - v. new album and tour in 2024
« Reply #2485 on: February 23, 2024, 02:40:10 PM »
Glenn Tipton's brother Gary posted the following comments today on a Facebook post:

"Glenn now very frail."  "Very worrying. . . .  Parkinson's now getting more of a hold, if you saw Glenn now you would be shocked."

Needless to say, it doesn't sound good.

https://www.facebook.com/gary.tipton.357 (this is just the link to his FB page - the above comments are under the fourth post down from the top).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2486 on: February 23, 2024, 04:50:53 PM »
Wait, Ritchie comes up with the setlists?

Rob's comment was that when they write a setlist, everyone in the band needs to be on board with it.  They don't want a band member to be grumpy about having to play a certain song. 

So he mentioned that Ritchie will send him setlist ideas and he has to respond with "please no Painkiller songs early in the set, I need to warm up!"  I'm sure Ritchie puts stuff in there and the band might be really open to bringing some of the older songs back.

So they opened with One Shot At Glory.  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2487 on: February 23, 2024, 04:51:40 PM »
Glenn Tipton's brother Gary posted the following comments today on a Facebook post:

"Glenn now very frail."  "Very worrying. . . .  Parkinson's now getting more of a hold, if you saw Glenn now you would be shocked."

https://www.facebook.com/gary.tipton.357 (this is just the link to his FB page - the above comments are under the fourth post down from the top).

I've kind of been fearing this news for a while.  Only a matter of time I guess. Needless to say this makes me very sad.  :'(

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #2488 on: February 23, 2024, 07:04:54 PM »
Yeah I had a feeling. Last few music videos they did Glenn was barely in them like they filmed like a minute or so to splice in every now and then. Especially noticeable in Crown of Thorns where they would only show him for like a second or two at a time if that.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2489 on: February 23, 2024, 07:14:13 PM »
Rob started pulling some punches to land others quite some time ago. They know how to pace a setlist to accommodate him, so was always able to hit the important bits. The Jawbreaker thing would certainly qualify. The problem is that he had to keep holding back more and more, so the important bits became fewer and fewer. Case in point, if it took four songs for him to really make his presence known, that's really a bummer. And Riding was one he'd learned to sing pretty well even for an old guy, so if he's struggling with that now, another bummer.

For my part I tuned out when he couldn't belt out CONDEMNED TO HELL any more. The Sentinel was always a highlight for me, and when he couldn't do it anymore it just became depressing. It sounds like they keep putting together nice setlists which I wouldn't mind seeing, but you don't have the KK/Tipton thing anymore, and it saddens me to hear Rob nowadays, so I just skip the whole thing. That said, it does make me happy that they're still selling midsized venues.

I agree about The Sentinel.  I hate that he cut out that Condemned to Hell high note years ago. 

https://youtu.be/_oJ7NZBD52c?si=heJs_looqce8sApw&t=320

Here is the video from the show I saw.  I queued it up to Riding on the Wind.  Listening back, I wouldn't say that he truly struggled.  It's just that his enunciation seems to fade a little when he's singing in that style live, and his voice is older and grittier than the clean, high notes of his younger days.  But the clean "Wiiiiiiiind" in the chorus is great. 

Again, my point of comparison is hearing that song for the last 20 years on Live Insurrection, which was recorded in 2000.  So in my mind, I'm thinking "fuck, it just doesn't sound as good as I'm used to hearing" but in reality, he's still pretty damn good.  I'm just used to my favorite recording of the song from 22 years prior to that show.

The end of Jawbreaker is around 18:30, and that's when he just started wailing away and held the last note out.  His clean singing is still fantastic, like on Beyond the Realms of Death. 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2490 on: February 24, 2024, 01:16:19 AM »

Oh no : (

I know it's a very dark thought but I hope we're not gonna relive the Magnum situation (guitarist Tony Clarkin passing away days before the release of their latest album).
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2491 on: February 24, 2024, 06:49:11 PM »
Not sure how the Wolfster and the Timster don’t like the chorus to The Serprent and the King. Man that song kicks major ass  :metal

Offline nick_z

« Reply #2492 on: February 24, 2024, 07:26:57 PM »
I haven’t spun the singles more than once each, but that was enough to make me quite optimistic about the record. I thought Firepower was a great way to end their studio run, if it was going to be their last, but it looks like this one might be a worthy successor!

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2493 on: February 25, 2024, 11:35:41 AM »

:   (          this really hurts my heart...
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2494 on: February 26, 2024, 04:51:41 AM »
Not sure how the Wolfster and the Timster don’t like the chorus to The Serprent and the King. Man that song kicks major ass  :metal

Didn't say we didn't like it, it's just the weakest part of the song.  It's perfectly okay, but it sounds like an afterthought to the rest of the song.  Like the chorus had the least amount of time put into it.

That riff before the solo fucking rips though.  Such Painkiller vibes.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2495 on: February 28, 2024, 09:43:55 AM »
Anyone here wants to review the deluxe edition of the upcoming album?

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2496 on: March 01, 2024, 09:17:09 AM »
Just listened to the four singles on Spotify in a row. Not a dud among those. Only an occasional Priest fan but this is sounding great to this Painkiller-loving listener.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2497 on: March 01, 2024, 12:47:57 PM »
Just listened to the four singles on Spotify in a row. Not a dud among those. Only an occasional Priest fan but this is sounding great to this Painkiller-loving listener.

I will write my review of the album this weekend, and there isn't a single boring point on this album. Might be my first 10/10.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2498 on: March 02, 2024, 12:46:30 AM »

I will write my review of the album this weekend, and there isn't a single boring point on this album. Might be my first 10/10.

Nice.  :smiley:

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline emtee

« Reply #2500 on: March 04, 2024, 03:36:35 PM »
Nice review, Stads!

I know you're not a huge Priest fan, leaning more toward Maiden, but it sounds like you enjoyed the album. Hopefully mine arrives soon.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2501 on: March 04, 2024, 03:55:51 PM »
Nice review, Stads!

I know you're not a huge Priest fan, leaning more toward Maiden, but it sounds like you enjoyed the album. Hopefully mine arrives soon.

I really did dig it.  I struggled with the review, simply because "this is fucking awesome" gets boring, but in all seriousness I was really surprised by how well they touched on all the things you'd expect from a Priest record without ONCE sounding like a retread. 

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #2502 on: March 04, 2024, 04:10:56 PM »
I feel the same way about Saxon's new album. They may not be trying to re-invent the wheel at this stage but they sound energized and clearly not phoning anything in.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2503 on: March 04, 2024, 04:12:41 PM »
I feel the same way about Saxon's new album. They may not be trying to re-invent the wheel at this stage but they sound energized and clearly not phoning anything in.

Saxon haven't disappointed for a long time and the new one certainly continues that trend.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2504 on: March 04, 2024, 06:25:15 PM »
STAD !!!  :metal

and on Saxon    Man  I saw them back in 83 on the Wheels /  Long Arm of The Law tour era time,,,,, I always wanted Biffs bullet belt  ..
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2505 on: March 05, 2024, 07:11:36 AM »
Nice review, Stads!

I really did dig it.  I struggled with the review, simply because "this is fucking awesome" gets boring, but in all seriousness I was really surprised by how well they touched on all the things you'd expect from a Priest record without ONCE sounding like a retread.

Nice review! Friday can't come soon enough. I'm almost drooling at this point  :lol.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2506 on: March 05, 2024, 10:19:11 AM »
Really dig "The Serpent and the King." I canceled my pre-order on Amazon, and plan to go to Target for the expanded version on Friday. Looking forward to it.

Also picked up this live DVD on Amazon from the Screaming for Vengeance tour this morning, mostly because I am excited for Friday. Long live The Priest!  :metal
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline pg1067

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2508 on: March 05, 2024, 01:09:52 PM »
I had clearly skim-read the link and hasn't clocked the table was yours, Stadler. Nice work, man!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2509 on: March 05, 2024, 01:16:09 PM »
I agree, very nice review and also "believable", as in, not just another "OMG the album roooookkkksss".
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2510 on: March 05, 2024, 01:23:24 PM »
Thanks guys; I appreciate it.  I take the review thing seriously, and try really hard for it to NOT be "this is fucking awesome!".  That helps no one.  There's always going to be SOME opinion, that's the point, but I try to make it something that someone can relate to.

Offline emtee

« Reply #2511 on: March 05, 2024, 02:03:35 PM »
It helps that you're pretty gifted as a writer:)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2512 on: March 06, 2024, 03:14:31 AM »
Yeah, nice reading Bill!

Offline nick_z

« Reply #2513 on: March 06, 2024, 06:53:51 AM »
Adding my appreciation for the review. Great read.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2514 on: March 06, 2024, 09:15:30 AM »
less than 48 hours till the album drops.... not that Im counting the hours  LOL  : )

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2515 on: March 07, 2024, 06:41:50 AM »
If this album is as good as hyped, it would mean (for me) that a band 50+ years into a career released 3 albums in a row where each one was better than the previous one. That's incredibly rare for a band to be around that long and then pull something like that off. And it's not like Nostradamus was total crap like St Anger, it was just very different and experimental.

Invincible Shield > Firepower > Redeemer of Souls > Nostradamus

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2516 on: March 07, 2024, 06:52:02 AM »
You can't really compare Nostradamus with anything else, but I probably favor it over Redeemer.

Firepower is of course better than Redeemer, let's see what this new one will hold!

Offline emtee

« Reply #2517 on: March 07, 2024, 07:25:50 AM »
The last several are very good. I spun Anger Of Retribution last night and there are some bangers on it.
Redeemer, despite some odd sonic choices, is also enjoyable. Firepower rocks. I can pretty much pull any of their albums off the shelf and enjoy it from beginning to end. I can't say that about many bands.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2518 on: March 07, 2024, 08:07:08 AM »
The last several are very good. I spun Anger Of Retribution last night and there are some bangers on it.
Redeemer, despite some odd sonic choices, is also enjoyable. Firepower rocks. I can pretty much pull any of their albums off the shelf and enjoy it from beginning to end. I can't say that about many bands.

thats true  IMO   .... all their albums are quality and i like them all

Offline emtee

« Reply #2519 on: March 07, 2024, 09:00:03 AM »
Typo on the title LOL. ANGEL not anger.