Author Topic: THE Judas Priest thread - v. new album and tour in 2024  (Read 220854 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: THE Judas Priest thread - v. new album and tour in 2024
« Reply #2450 on: January 19, 2024, 01:42:51 PM »
I think you guys will be surprised how much it will grow on you.

I'm sure it's fine in the running order on the album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2451 on: January 20, 2024, 05:33:08 AM »
It also reminds of Rob Halford's "Thunder and Lightning".

Fun linguistic fact: in italian, "crown" is corona, and "horns" is "corna". So the title translated in italian is "Corona di corna" which sounds very weird given that the two words are the same and only an a is missing  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline nick_z

« Reply #2452 on: January 20, 2024, 01:31:21 PM »

Fun linguistic fact: in italian, "crown" is corona, and "horns" is "corna". So the title translated in italian is "Corona di corna" which sounds very weird given that the two words are the same and only an a is missing  :D

I like that  :biggrin: they should do an Italian version of the song with that title, Blind Guardian-style

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2453 on: January 20, 2024, 02:08:50 PM »

Reminded me of that Halford album right away too.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2454 on: January 20, 2024, 11:07:19 PM »
Resurrection and Crucible were major ass kicking albums.  Made of Metal was……meh ok

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2455 on: January 21, 2024, 04:39:18 AM »
Resurrection and Crucible were major ass kicking albums.  Made of Metal was……meh ok

I revised it just the other day.  Was a lot worse than I remembered.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #2456 on: January 21, 2024, 09:22:08 AM »
I like Made of Metal but man releasing The Mower as the first single should have been declared False Advertising.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2457 on: January 21, 2024, 03:12:40 PM »
Made of Metal is good but uneven. The best songs are really good.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2458 on: February 22, 2024, 07:17:37 AM »
Super pumped after hearing all the positive reviews of Invincible Shield. Martin Popoff says it's his favorite Priest record since Killing Machine  :omg:.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2459 on: February 22, 2024, 07:21:12 AM »
I love Martin Popoff, but he says all sorts of weird stuff.  :biggrin:

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2460 on: February 22, 2024, 07:43:29 AM »
very much looking forward to this album
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2461 on: February 22, 2024, 07:47:27 AM »
Super pumped after hearing all the positive reviews of Invincible Shield. Martin Popoff says it's his favorite Priest record since Killing Machine  :omg:.

While I have all faith in Priest to put out a great album, I never really care for these "best since [Insert classic album]" things. Any band with such a long history and so many milestone albums has by now albums that cannot really be topped in the heart of fans, it's only a matter of perception, of interests changing, of being relatively fed up with stuff you listen since 30 years so you welcome something new for a change.

In the case of Priest, I believe only statements that go as far as Painkiller, "favorite one since Painkiller", for older albums any comparison with today, three or four decades apart, hardly makes sense.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2462 on: February 22, 2024, 10:14:38 AM »
The Serpent and the King:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dqi19sOyNE

Someone explain to me how Halford can sound this good at 72 years old?  This one may be tough for him to sing live, but he's fucking smoking it on the record.   :metal

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #2463 on: February 22, 2024, 10:18:53 AM »
I mean I'm still floored that they busted out saints in hell a few years ago. of course he's not as consistent as he was 30+ years ago but on a good day he can still blow you away.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2464 on: February 22, 2024, 10:25:37 AM »
I mean I'm still floored that they busted out saints in hell a few years ago. of course he's not as consistent as he was 30+ years ago but on a good day he can still blow you away.

Oh I know - I saw them live in 2022 and he was incredible.  It took 3-4 songs for him to warm up, but after that, I was in complete awe. 

I don't think anybody would give him grief for taking it easier on albums, but here he is on their 19th record, at age 72, still pulling off vocals reminiscent of Painkiller. 

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2465 on: February 22, 2024, 10:48:42 AM »

Someone explain to me how Halford can sound this good at 72 years old?  This one may be tough for him to sing live, but he's fucking smoking it on the record.   :metal

his voice is great but thats not my fav type of Judas song
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2466 on: February 22, 2024, 01:07:21 PM »

Nice tune.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2467 on: February 22, 2024, 01:22:03 PM »
WOW, I dig that chorus.  If I didn't know better, I'd say that was an outtake from Defenders Of The Faith.  Pretty impressed with our kid Rob.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2468 on: February 22, 2024, 01:37:41 PM »
This new album is absolutely all killer, no filler. On par with Firepower, if not better!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2469 on: February 22, 2024, 02:20:15 PM »
Great song, I like this one the best out of all the songs so far from the new album.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2470 on: February 22, 2024, 02:33:43 PM »
WOW, I dig that chorus. 

Figures.  :lol  The chorus is the worst part of the song.

Seriously, it's full on Priest. Really looking forward to this album. Pulled out Firepower last week, and this picks up where that left off. Good to see Glenn's name.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2471 on: February 22, 2024, 03:20:12 PM »
72 years old and screaming like that  :metal

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2472 on: February 22, 2024, 05:12:28 PM »
This new album is absolutely all killer, no filler. On par with Firepower, if not better!

thank you Rod....  I dug Firepower  ... wore it out

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2473 on: February 22, 2024, 05:18:38 PM »

his voice is great but thats not my fav type of Judas song

MIND IS CHANGED.   LOVE THIS TUNE....    I first listened on low volume on my laptop and it didnt click and i had to take a  call and turn it off etc...,  this tune is crushing   its all over the place.

I like that its to me is a very unique song and is somehow fresh sounding to their catalog

The opening  reminds me a bit of freewiheel burning
« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 05:28:38 PM by EPICVIEW »

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #2474 on: February 22, 2024, 05:19:59 PM »
PRIEST...PRIEST...PRIEST!!!! :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2475 on: February 23, 2024, 02:09:18 AM »
In the past I would prefer them do albums in a way they can replicate them live, especially the vocals. Now I'm all for making a fucking great performance that will stay forever and do the best you can with it live, even if it's not the same. I was so extreme about it that I went to the Judas/Queensryche tour in EU many years ago and left after Queensryche finished their opening performance. I wasn't a smart kid lol.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2476 on: February 23, 2024, 04:22:24 AM »
WOW, I dig that chorus. 

Figures.  :lol  The chorus is the worst part of the song.

Seriously, it's full on Priest. Really looking forward to this album. Pulled out Firepower last week, and this picks up where that left off. Good to see Glenn's name.

Without a doubt.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2477 on: February 23, 2024, 09:55:29 AM »
In the past I would prefer them do albums in a way they can replicate them live, especially the vocals. Now I'm all for making a fucking great performance that will stay forever and do the best you can with it live, even if it's not the same. I was so extreme about it that I went to the Judas/Queensryche tour in EU many years ago and left after Queensryche finished their opening performance. I wasn't a smart kid lol.

I can be the same way, depending on the singer.  I saw Priest a year and a half ago. Rob had just turned 71.  I wasn't sure he'd be up to it, since I've heard a lot of his struggles on youtube videos over the years. 

They started with Electric Eye, and he sounded great.  Went into Riding on the Wind and he struggled, but I gave him credit because that's a really hard song to sing, and I'm used to his vocals on the live Halford album with that song.  I was really happy to hear it live.  You've Got Another Thing Coming - an easier song again.

They got to Jawbreaker, the fourth or so song, and he sounded great throughout.  At the end, he unleashed those ending high notes:  JawBREAAAAAKER!  The place went apeshit and cheered loudly.  I was floored, and did not expect Rob to sound so good there.  From that point on, he was amazing.  Screaming for Vengeance was another one where he didn't sound the best, but he is more than willing to give these songs a try and do his best.  I'll take that any day over someone like Vince Neil, who is out of shape and has never tried to be the best live singer that he can be. 

He just talked about setlists in an interview and said that he has to remind Ritchie to structure a setlist to give him a few songs to warm up.  I can see that being truthful based on my experience.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2478 on: February 23, 2024, 10:11:58 AM »

I can be the same way, depending on the singer.  I saw Priest a year and a half ago. Rob had just turned 71.  I wasn't sure he'd be up to it, since I've heard a lot of his struggles on youtube videos over the years. 

They started with Electric Eye, and he sounded great.  Went into Riding on the Wind and he struggled, but I gave him credit because that's a really hard song to sing, and I'm used to his vocals on the live Halford album with that song.  I was really happy to hear it live.  You've Got Another Thing Coming - an easier song again.

They got to Jawbreaker, the fourth or so song, and he sounded great throughout.  At the end, he unleashed those ending high notes:  JawBREAAAAAKER!  The place went apeshit and cheered loudly.  I was floored, and did not expect Rob to sound so good there.  From that point on, he was amazing.  Screaming for Vengeance was another one where he didn't sound the best, but he is more than willing to give these songs a try and do his best.  I'll take that any day over someone like Vince Neil, who is out of shape and has never tried to be the best live singer that he can be. 

He just talked about setlists in an interview and said that he has to remind Ritchie to structure a setlist to give him a few songs to warm up.  I can see that being truthful based on my experience.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2479 on: February 23, 2024, 10:49:31 AM »

and holy wow   ...Robs on drums in that pcicture to boot!!!!   amazing!!!!!   :  )

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2480 on: February 23, 2024, 11:47:47 AM »
What a loser  :tdwn.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2481 on: February 23, 2024, 01:25:16 PM »

Wait, Ritchie comes up with the setlists?

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #2482 on: February 23, 2024, 01:49:08 PM »
If he does that would explain all the deep cuts that have made it to the set the past few tours. Saints in Hell, Sinner, Tyrant, Night Comes down, all guns blazing and One shot at glory are all stuff I would pick as a fan lol
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2483 on: February 23, 2024, 02:11:38 PM »
Wait, Ritchie comes up with the setlists?

Rob's comment was that when they write a setlist, everyone in the band needs to be on board with it.  They don't want a band member to be grumpy about having to play a certain song. 

So he mentioned that Ritchie will send him setlist ideas and he has to respond with "please no Painkiller songs early in the set, I need to warm up!"  I'm sure Ritchie puts stuff in there and the band might be really open to bringing some of the older songs back.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2484 on: February 23, 2024, 02:37:35 PM »

Rob started pulling some punches to land others quite some time ago. They know how to pace a setlist to accommodate him, so was always able to hit the important bits. The Jawbreaker thing would certainly qualify. The problem is that he had to keep holding back more and more, so the important bits became fewer and fewer. Case in point, if it took four songs for him to really make his presence known, that's really a bummer. And Riding was one he'd learned to sing pretty well even for an old guy, so if he's struggling with that now, another bummer.

For my part I tuned out when he couldn't belt out CONDEMNED TO HELL any more. The Sentinel was always a highlight for me, and when he couldn't do it anymore it just became depressing. It sounds like they keep putting together nice setlists which I wouldn't mind seeing, but you don't have the KK/Tipton thing anymore, and it saddens me to hear Rob nowadays, so I just skip the whole thing. That said, it does make me happy that they're still selling midsized venues.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson