THE Judas Priest thread - v. new album and tour in 2024

Started by KevShmev, July 06, 2010, 09:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfking

Stadler

Quote from: wolfking on January 04, 2024, 03:34:25 PM
Quote from: jjrock88 on January 04, 2024, 03:17:25 PM
I believe he saw Dio/Twister Sister at some point........that's a Wolf megashow!

Twisted Sister were one I never explored.  Snider just always kinda irritated me.

When TS did those shows near the end with no costumes or anything I was like "what could have been!".   I don't get REALLY embarrassed, I like what I like but when TS was wearing all that day-go shit in the 80s I was like "you don't need this" and always wished they would pull a Kiss "no makeup" move. 

I don't know; you can't force anything but if you could listen to "You Can't Stop Rock And Roll" with a clear head and no preconceptions... that's a GREAT metal record.  Not "good", "GREAT".   Even Stay Hungry is decent if you exclude the two singles.   Burn In Hell is a great tune as is "The Price".   Plus, Dee NEVER EVER had an off night vocally.   EVER.  I don't know how he did it, but he never went through those phases that even the best metal singers went through (Dickinson, Stanley) where they had to readjust. 

I will say this, though; you're sort of a guitar guy. If you're expected Glenn Tipton or Adrian Smith you'll be disappointed; my opinion only, but Jay Jay French and Eddie Ojeda ("o-JAY-da") are average at best.  This is not Thin Lizzy in that sense of the band.

wolfking

Sort of a guitar guy?  :lol

I'll check them out next week.  You could be right though, the lack of impressive guitar playing might have been enough to make me not venture into their territory.  The make up probably also another reason.  I can dig bands like WASP as they still had a pretty bad ass edge to them.  TS just always looked silly.

Didn't Reb Beach play on one of their albums though.  I'll do some googling.

jjrock88

wolfking

jjrock88

wolfking

Quote from: jjrock88 on January 05, 2024, 03:54:58 PM
Always...........but Twisted Sister kicks ass.

That's it, Sensei J has spoken.  I'll go through their stuff next week.

I will say, Dee's For the Love of Metal album is really really good.

Stadler

Quote from: wolfking on January 05, 2024, 03:44:37 PM
Sort of a guitar guy?  :lol

I'll check them out next week.  You could be right though, the lack of impressive guitar playing might have been enough to make me not venture into their territory.  The make up probably also another reason.  I can dig bands like WASP as they still had a pretty bad ass edge to them.  TS just always looked silly.

Didn't Reb Beach play on one of their albums though.  I'll do some googling.

At least you laughed.  It was meant as a gentle joke.

But stay away from the Reb Beach record; it's called "Love Is For Suckers" and it was another of those "it's a solo album but the label wanted the band name on it" deals.  It blows.   Beau Hill - the guy that produced Winger, Warrant and I think Matt - brought in Reb to play because, well, I think he recognized the limitations of the band.

wolfking

A shame it blows, Reb is amazing.  I'll do a bit of a dive next week.

pg1067

Quote from: TAC on January 04, 2024, 04:32:30 PM
Quote from: wolfking on January 04, 2024, 04:24:43 PM
First two videos on Youtube are apparently covers.  Then I clicked on this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1nRgq0lf6g

Shortino on vocals.  Eh, it's nothing special at all.  And the guitarists are shit, played solos that didn't even go with the song.

They completely sukk.

They had a song called Cutt Your Heart Out that was pretty solid (albeit super short), but they were otherwise a waste of time.

jjrock88

Hear N Aid - "Stars" is an outstanding song.  Shortino is on it, among Dio, Halford, Tate, Vince, etc.

wolfking

jjrock88

wolfking

TAC

Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

pg1067

Quote from: jjrock88 on January 07, 2024, 03:29:03 PM
Hear N Aid - "Stars" is an outstanding song.  Shortino is on it, among Dio, Halford, Tate, Vince, etc.

I absolutely love that song.  Fortunately, Vince (Neil, I assume) did not get any of the lead vocals.  He (along with Mick Mars from Crue) was in the backing vocal choir.  The leads were done by RJD, Halford, Kevin DuBrow, Eric Bloom, Tate, Dave Meniketti, Don Dokken and Paul Shortino.  I actually thought Meniketti also did one of the guitar solos, but not so.  Those were done by Vivian Campbell, Carlos Cavazo, Buck Dharma, Brad Gillis (my personal favorite), Craig Goldy, George Lynch, Yngwie Malmstee, Eddie Ojeda, and Neal Schon.  I love the story about how Dave Murray and Adrian Smith decided (while flying in during the middle of the World Slavery Tour) NOT to do solos and, instead, do the harmony licks under the chorus.

MinistroRaven

ZirconBlue

Quote from: pg1067 on January 07, 2024, 02:54:26 PM

Shortino on vocals.  Eh, it's nothing special at all.  And the guitarists are shit, played solos that didn't even go with the song.

They completely sukk.

They had a song called Cutt Your Heart Out that was pretty solid (albeit super short), but they were otherwise a waste of time.

I think that album (the s/t) is pretty good. 

EPICVIEW

Quote from: ZirconBlue on January 09, 2024, 08:54:45 AM
Quote from: pg1067 on January 07, 2024, 02:54:26 PM

They completely sukk.

I think that album (the s/t) is pretty good.

I spent time with Dios crew during the 80s and RC was signed by Ronnie and Wendy,..  RC happens to be a band of great guys
and Paul S was just super.   EV FACTIOD: Paul played Duke Fame in This is Spinal Tap and has a quick cameo.  Me and him shared many funny quip over that when we partied. He said he was more famous for that role at the time and how it was such a fluke he was in it.  and I loved RCs first 2 albums and Paul has/had a great voice.  GOOD TIMES

EPICVIEW

wolfking

TAC

Quote from: EPICVIEW on January 09, 2024, 09:34:58 AM
  EV FACTIOD: Paul played Duke Fame in This is Spinal Tap and has a quick cameo. 

Wasn't he playing the Enormodome or something like that?
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

jammindude

Late to the party but I just wanna give a HUGE +1 to "You Can't Stop Rock n Roll". That is a fantastic record!  Stay Hungry is also really good. And I actually have a soft spot for Come Out and Play as well.

But Can't Stop is definitely their masterpiece.

I've been saying since 1984 that TS is so much better than their singles would have you believe. In fact, their singles were their worst material.

EPICVIEW

Quote from: TAC on January 15, 2024, 04:04:11 PM

hey my bro..  no Paul was Duke Fame in Spinal Tap.

TAC

Quote from: EPICVIEW on January 15, 2024, 05:37:36 PM

Yes I know, and Duke Fame was playing the Enormodome!

EPICVIEW

Quote from: TAC on January 15, 2024, 05:51:21 PM
Quote from: EPICVIEW on January 15, 2024, 05:37:36 PM

Yes I know, and Duke Fame was playing the Enormodome!

LOL   my memory is so bad   lol thats right or something like that!! its such a throw away line  ... such a funny scene  I need to watch it again its been a long time bro...    such a fine line between stupid and genius !! he did  a twist on it... far worse than smell the glove

Podaar

Quote from: Zydar on January 19, 2024, 03:59:50 AM
New song released, Crown Of Horns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BExNIGlVJTw&pp=ygUbanVkYXMgcHJpZXN0IGNyb3duIG9mIGhvcm5z

Love the title! Not sure about the song, though. I can't tell if it didn't connect with me because I was expecting something different based on the title or because it's not that good.

wolfking

Quote from: Podaar on January 19, 2024, 04:15:20 AM
Quote from: Zydar on January 19, 2024, 03:59:50 AM
New song released, Crown Of Horns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BExNIGlVJTw&pp=ygUbanVkYXMgcHJpZXN0IGNyb3duIG9mIGhvcm5z

Love the title! Not sure about the song, though. I can't tell if it didn't connect with me because I was expecting something different based on the title or because it's not that good.

I think because it's not that good.  Although, I too expected something different.

TAC

I think you guys will be surprised how much it will grow on you.

Lowdz

Quote from: TAC on January 04, 2024, 04:23:59 PM
Quote from: pg1067 on January 04, 2024, 03:54:37 PM
Quote from: TAC on January 04, 2024, 03:23:46 PM
Quote from: jjrock88 on January 04, 2024, 03:17:25 PM
I believe he saw Dio/Twister Sister at some point........that's a Wolf megashow!

August 20, 1984.

I'd have rather had Twisted Sister than Rough Cutt.  The LA show was the only show on the Last in Line tour to get Rough Cutt.  Dio had Whitesnake at the start of the tour, then Twisted Sister, then Queensryche for the summer dates in Europe, and then Dokken for most of the rest of the tour.  I'd have preferred any of them.

Twisted Sister was awesome.

I would've loved to have seen the John Sykes Whitesnake...with Cozy Powell I assume. I never saw Sykes live.

they were fantastic.

MirrorMask

Just heard it. Amazing song. They wanted an easier, catchier song? nailed it. Yeah it's no No Surrender but I enjoyed it a lot.