Author Topic: THE Judas Priest thread - v. new album and tour in 2024  (Read 220456 times)

Offline MirrorMask

Re: THE Judas Priest thread - v. KK Re-delivering the goods
« Reply #2380 on: December 08, 2023, 11:01:22 AM »
I remember on the Judas Priest remasters from years ago, a lot of the bonus songs didn't match up with the year of the album they were being released on.  Didn't seem to make much sense.

Yeah, on one hand it's great that we got to hear all those songs, on the other hand, it was a poor job. Some live songs taken basically from a single show if I remember correctly, and studio tracks distributed randomly all over the remasters. It was something thrown together.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2381 on: December 08, 2023, 11:12:12 AM »
Thunder Road was a great track, but it's from the late 80's and appeared on Point of Entry.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2382 on: December 08, 2023, 12:40:14 PM »
I remember on the Judas Priest remasters from years ago, a lot of the bonus songs didn't match up with the year of the album they were being released on.  Didn't seem to make much sense.

Yeah, on one hand it's great that we got to hear all those songs, on the other hand, it was a poor job. Some live songs taken basically from a single show if I remember correctly, and studio tracks distributed randomly all over the remasters. It was something thrown together.

Don't get me started; that whole thing pissed me off to no end.  And they made it worse: "Recorded somewhere around the globe on one of our many world tours." or some shit like that.  Meanwhile, every one and their brother knew it was either from Long Beach in '84, or the Kiel Auditorium in '86.   Fucking lazy if you ask me.   But Priest always struck me that way (as compared to Iron Maiden, for example).

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2383 on: December 08, 2023, 01:08:02 PM »
Tracklist:

01. Panic Attack
02. The Serpent and the King
03. Invincible Shield
04. Devil in Disguise
05. Gates of Hell
06. Crown of Horns
07. As God Is My Witness
08. Trial By Fire
09. Escape From Reality
10. Sons Of Thunder
11. Giants in the Sky

Deluxe edition bonus tracks:

12. Fight of Your Life
13. Vicious Circle
14. The Lodger

So, is that the same "Fight for Your Life" that was a bonus track on the "Hell Bent For Leather" remaster?   And given that, you're telling me that they don't already have a song called "Gates Of Hell" or "Trial By Fire"?!?!   :) :) :) :) :)

I initially thought that too but as Paul said, different title
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2384 on: December 08, 2023, 01:09:43 PM »
Thunder Road was a great track, but it's from the late 80's and appeared on Point of Entry.

Fire Burns Below was a good one too.  Although from the Turbo/RID era and was stuck on Stained Class.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2385 on: December 08, 2023, 01:25:43 PM »
Yeah Fire Burns Below was pretty good.  But those Priest remasters definitely aren't mandatory buys.  All Fired Up was ok too.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2386 on: December 08, 2023, 01:35:11 PM »
I have them all as they were the only forms of the CDs available when I discovered Priest.

Offline Pappy

« Reply #2387 on: December 08, 2023, 03:46:11 PM »

Don't get me started; that whole thing pissed me off to no end.  And they made it worse: "Recorded somewhere around the globe on one of our many world tours." or some shit like that.  Meanwhile, every one and their brother knew it was either from Long Beach in '84, or the Kiel Auditorium in '86.   Fucking lazy if you ask me.   But Priest always struck me that way (as compared to Iron Maiden, for example).

I'm still mad about A Touch of Evil Live they released where half the songs come from Rising in the East.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2388 on: December 08, 2023, 04:23:34 PM »

I'm still mad about A Touch of Evil Live they released where half the songs come from Rising in the East.

Agree.  That was pretty poor form.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2389 on: December 08, 2023, 09:00:16 PM »
I'll just say that I don't believe I've ever bought a remaster, reissue, deluxe edition etc that was better than just having the original.  And I've bought many.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2390 on: December 08, 2023, 09:09:20 PM »
I'll just say that I don't believe I've ever bought a remaster, reissue, deluxe edition etc that was better than just having the original.  And I've bought many.

I prefer a number of remasters/remixes to the original. 

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2391 on: December 08, 2023, 09:11:47 PM »
I've bought countless remaster/reissue/deluxe cd's with demos.  I can't say I've ever been impressed with a demo compared to what was released.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2392 on: December 09, 2023, 01:52:28 AM »
Speaking of the bonus tracks, two that stands out to me are 'Turn On Your Light' and 'Red, White And Blue'. Both are on the Defenders reissue, don't know if they're from that period though.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2393 on: December 09, 2023, 04:25:48 AM »
Speaking of the bonus tracks, two that stands out to me are 'Turn On Your Light' and 'Red, White And Blue'. Both are on the Defenders reissue, don't know if they're from that period though.

Yes, Turn on Your Light is another wonderful highlight, lovely ballad.

I think most of the bonus tracks come from the Turbo sessions where they were looking at a double album?  I'll have to look that up though.

IMO, the best bonus track by far is Living Bad Dreams.  Actually from the Painkiller sessions.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2394 on: December 09, 2023, 05:59:27 AM »
Living Bad dreams is fantastic  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2395 on: December 09, 2023, 08:35:30 PM »
I've bought countless remaster/reissue/deluxe cd's with demos.  I can't say I've ever been impressed with a demo compared to what was released.

Megadeth's New World Order is so much better as a demo (due to Nick Menza's drumming and the heavier production) than the official version on Thirteen.

But yeah, demo versions of songs rarely are better than final versions. 

Offline gazinwales

Re: THE Judas Priest thread - v. new album and tour in 2024
« Reply #2396 on: January 04, 2024, 11:59:13 AM »
Defenders Of the Faith has just turned 40, making me feel very old.
I bought it on cassette back in the day and wore it out through so many plays.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2397 on: January 04, 2024, 02:42:05 PM »
The Defenders show in May 1984 was my second concert ever.

When I did a mediation with Rob Halford back in early 2013, I brought my tour program and had him sign it.  It was awesome, and he was the nicest guy.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2398 on: January 04, 2024, 03:39:40 PM »
Heavy Metal Parking Lot from the summer of 86 with Priest/Dokken is still classic 15 minutes.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2399 on: January 04, 2024, 04:06:14 PM »
The Defenders show in May 1984 was my second concert ever.

I remember the tour. Great White opened here. I didn't go because I went to see Van Halen in March, which was my 3rd concert.

Heavy Metal Parking Lot from the summer of 86 with Priest/Dokken is still classic 15 minutes.

I saw that tour 5 days after HMPL was filmed. Such a great film.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2400 on: January 04, 2024, 04:09:12 PM »
HMPL was filmed in Texas right?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2401 on: January 04, 2024, 04:10:41 PM »
HMPL was filmed in Texas right?

Landover Maryland
May 31, 1986
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2402 on: January 04, 2024, 04:13:13 PM »
 :metal :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2403 on: January 04, 2024, 04:14:17 PM »
I say it all the time but I so wish I was born 10 years earlier.  I missed the whole time I should have been experiencing.  Tim is the GOAT of concert experiences, so good.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2404 on: January 04, 2024, 04:17:25 PM »
I believe he saw Dio/Twister Sister at some point........that's a Wolf megashow!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2405 on: January 04, 2024, 04:23:46 PM »
I believe he saw Dio/Twister Sister at some point........that's a Wolf megashow!

August 20, 1984.

I'm not much of a concert goer these days though, but when I was a kid...hell yes!!!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2406 on: January 04, 2024, 04:34:25 PM »

Twisted Sister were one I never explored.  Snider just always kinda irritated me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2407 on: January 04, 2024, 04:34:56 PM »

August 20, 1984.

I'm not much of a concert goer these days though, but when I was a kid...hell yes!!!

I was almost 3 months old!  :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2408 on: January 04, 2024, 04:35:57 PM »

August 20, 1984.

I was almost 3 months old!  :metal

I was a month away from turning 16.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2409 on: January 04, 2024, 04:54:37 PM »

August 20, 1984.

I'd have rather had Twisted Sister than Rough Cutt.  The LA show was the only show on the Last in Line tour to get Rough Cutt.  Dio had Whitesnake at the start of the tour, then Twisted Sister, then Queensryche for the summer dates in Europe, and then Dokken for most of the rest of the tour.  I'd have preferred any of them.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2410 on: January 04, 2024, 05:18:37 PM »
There's this Ruff Cut band again, right I'm checking them out.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2411 on: January 04, 2024, 05:23:59 PM »

August 20, 1984.

I'd have rather had Twisted Sister than Rough Cutt.  The LA show was the only show on the Last in Line tour to get Rough Cutt.  Dio had Whitesnake at the start of the tour, then Twisted Sister, then Queensryche for the summer dates in Europe, and then Dokken for most of the rest of the tour.  I'd have preferred any of them.

Twisted Sister was awesome.

I would've loved to have seen the John Sykes Whitesnake...with Cozy Powell I assume. I never saw Sykes live.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2412 on: January 04, 2024, 05:24:43 PM »
First two videos on Youtube are apparently covers.  Then I clicked on this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1nRgq0lf6g

Shortino on vocals.  Eh, it's nothing special at all.  And the guitarists are shit, played solos that didn't even go with the song.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2413 on: January 04, 2024, 05:25:17 PM »

August 20, 1984.

Twisted Sister was awesome.

I would've loved to have seen the John Sykes Whitesnake...with Cozy Powell I assume. I never saw Sykes live.

Sykes is such a monster.  A shame he wasn't more prolific.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2414 on: January 04, 2024, 05:32:30 PM »
First two videos on Youtube are apparently covers.  Then I clicked on this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1nRgq0lf6g

Shortino on vocals.  Eh, it's nothing special at all.  And the guitarists are shit, played solos that didn't even go with the song.

They completely sukk.