Author Topic: THE Judas Priest thread - v. new album and tour in 2024  (Read 219967 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: THE Judas Priest thread - v. Discography listening party!!
« Reply #2240 on: November 08, 2022, 11:28:33 AM »
Dolly Parton is class personified. Just had to throw that out there.

Also, if you didn't join Priest until after Painkiller, you had no business being inducted, so while the "newer" members have all done their jobs well to varying degrees, none of them had anything to do with Priest getting to the HOF.

That's a class of two:  the guy who replaced Halford for a couple albums that weren't well-received and Richie Faulkner, who joined only a decade ago and has played on only two albums.  Both are no-brainers for not being part of the inducted group.  And, frankly, the inclusion of Les Binks is a bit puzzling (especially when you think about certain glaring exclusions with other artists).

Les Binks is in, and yet:

Eric Carr is out.
Bruce Kulick is out.
Ronnie James Dio is out.
Vinnie Appice is out.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #2241 on: November 08, 2022, 11:44:58 AM »
Wow, now I wanna see Dolly do Painkiller :P

She was certainly dressed for it!

When I woke up this morning I think I came to in the wrong parallel universe...

Just to check, these are the lineups of the two biggest bands on the planet, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7lA9eapdGI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7Q1Nn1CYHk

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2242 on: November 08, 2022, 01:15:00 PM »

Eric Carr is out.
Bruce Kulick is out.
Ronnie James Dio is out.
Vinnie Appice is out.

I can't really speak intelligently about the two KISS guys, but Dio not making it is indefensible, and Binks's inclusion renders Appice's exclusion inexplicable (EXCEPT that Priest was inducted under the "musical excellence" (formerly "sidemen") category, where as Sabbath was "officially" inducted).

When I woke up this morning I think I came to in the wrong parallel universe...

Just to check, these are the lineups of the two biggest bands on the planet, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7lA9eapdGI

I was at that Metallica show!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 03:37:06 PM by pg1067 »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #2243 on: November 08, 2022, 02:25:36 PM »
Dolly Parton is class personified. Just had to throw that out there.

Also, if you didn't join Priest until after Painkiller, you had no business being inducted, so while the "newer" members have all done their jobs well to varying degrees, none of them had anything to do with Priest getting to the HOF.

That's a class of two:  the guy who replaced Halford for a couple albums that weren't well-received and Richie Faulkner, who joined only a decade ago and has played on only two albums.  Both are no-brainers for not being part of the inducted group.  And, frankly, the inclusion of Les Binks is a bit puzzling (especially when you think about certain glaring exclusions with other artists).

Eric Carr is out.
Bruce Kulick is out.
Ronnie James Dio is out.
Vinnie Appice is out.
Carr and Kulick not getting inducted is simply a case of the RARHOF not giving a f*ck about KISS.  KISS was voted in, so they had to put them in.  But, they weren't gonna do any more than the bare minimum, which is a crying shame.  Eric was there for the tail end of the makeup and virtually the entire non-makeup run of the band.  And, Bruce was in the band for 12 years, which is longer than Ace's original run in the band.  But, KISS wasn't gonna be given any more time than absolutely necessary.  Meanwhile, that same year, the E Street Band had 10 people inducted and each one was allowed to speak.  The speeches lasted like a half hour.  Patty Fucking Scialfa is in the RARHOF.  And, Eric Carr and Bruce Kulick are not.  What a joke!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2244 on: April 18, 2023, 01:03:13 PM »
I have an interview with Richie Faulkner scheduled for this Friday. I'd love to get some questions from the DTF members!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2245 on: April 18, 2023, 02:08:04 PM »
How is his health?
How is Glenn?
How far away is the new album and was Glenn able to contribute any guitar work on it?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2246 on: April 18, 2023, 02:11:25 PM »
Favorite tea/biscuit combo.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2247 on: April 18, 2023, 02:20:06 PM »
I have an interview with Richie Faulkner scheduled for this Friday. I'd love to get some questions from the DTF members!

how are you feeling?  whats new? how is the new cd coming along  , how is Glenn, 
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2248 on: April 18, 2023, 03:10:40 PM »

"Are there any deep cuts from the debut through Painkiller era that you have wanted to play live that you haven't been able to talk the rest of the band into playing yet??

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2249 on: April 18, 2023, 03:45:46 PM »

"Are there any deep cuts from the debut through Painkiller era that you have wanted to play live that you haven't been able to talk the rest of the band into playing yet??

EXCELLENT question!!! I second that!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2250 on: April 18, 2023, 05:42:57 PM »
What's it like playing Glenn's solos since he's stopped touring?  I haven't seen a lot of live stuff but he plays everything pretty true to the record but changes things here and there too.  Does he feel a duty to Glenn to play the solos in a certain way and as true to form as possible or has Glenn given his blessing to kind of do what he wants with them?

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2251 on: April 18, 2023, 08:40:40 PM »

What are some of his personal favorite Priest songs that he would like to play live that he hasn't gotten to play yet?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 08:48:17 PM by Glasser »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2252 on: April 18, 2023, 08:44:05 PM »
I assume the interview is based around Elegant Weapons.

My question would be..Ronnie Romero..why?

I'm not sure how to tactfully ask, but Romero turns up on so many projects..

I guess I'd ask, how did Romero get involved?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2253 on: April 18, 2023, 11:47:45 PM »
 :lol Ronnie Romeo has become Tim's arch nemesis.

I forgot that was a thing actually to be honest.  Yeah, you're right though, the interview would be about that band.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2254 on: April 19, 2023, 04:50:48 AM »
It is about Elegant Weapons. The album is solid! And I don't dislike Ronnie Romero...what is everyone's issue with him?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2255 on: April 19, 2023, 07:39:07 AM »
The issue is that he's on every fucking album being released. To me, using the "vocalist du jour" takes away from the specialness of a project.
He's a good vocalist, but not so pleasurable to warrant his participation in all of the albums he's on, at least in my opinions.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2256 on: April 19, 2023, 09:50:51 AM »
The issue is that he's on every fucking album being released. To me, using the "vocalist du jour" takes away from the specialness of a project.
He's a good vocalist, but not so pleasurable to warrant his participation in all of the albums he's on, at least in my opinions.

This is me.  It doesn't help that I wasn't 100% thrilled that he was the guy for the Rainbow shows - though he did a good enough job - but he didn't blow me away.  His voice just doesn't quite have the character that Ronnie's or JLT's did, so he was always sort of a "second best" option for me from the get go.  Now he's on MSG records and a hundred others and I'm like, ENOUGH.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2257 on: April 19, 2023, 02:50:32 PM »

This is me.  It doesn't help that I wasn't 100% thrilled that he was the guy for the Rainbow shows - though he did a good enough job - but he didn't blow me away.  His voice just doesn't quite have the character that Ronnie's or JLT's did, so he was always sort of a "second best" option for me from the get go.  Now he's on MSG records and a hundred others and I'm like, ENOUGH.

yup I agree ...  its getting a tad much
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2258 on: April 19, 2023, 03:18:31 PM »
Who is Ronnie Romeo? I honestly have no idea.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2259 on: April 19, 2023, 03:52:28 PM »
Seems to me there aren't a ton of them to choose from. Singers with good pipes, experience doing this sort of thing, and with just enough notoriety to show up on people's radar. And singers have a relatively short shelf-life. When guys like him come around they get a lot of work. People like Schenker have always looked for these guys (including Romero). It doesn't seem odd that he's finding a lot of work right now.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2260 on: April 19, 2023, 03:57:47 PM »
Seems to me there aren't a ton of them to choose from. Singers with good pipes, experience doing this sort of thing, and with just enough notoriety to show up on people's radar. And singers have a relatively short shelf-life. When guys like him come around they get a lot of work. People like Schenker have always looked for these guys (including Romero). It doesn't seem odd that he's finding a lot of work right now.

And before that it was Doogie White.   I get that.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2261 on: April 19, 2023, 04:26:27 PM »
I checked out an Elegant Weapons song last night, it was pretty fucking good.

Bruh.....really?

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2262 on: April 19, 2023, 04:49:35 PM »
Ronnie replaced Joe Lynn Turner in Rainbow AND in the Sunstorm project. He shines here: https://youtu.be/3Dhvjm3dmfI

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2263 on: April 19, 2023, 04:54:45 PM »
Also sings for Schenker, sings with Magnus Karlsson in the Ferrymen, sings in Lords of Black, plus more.  Even has his own covers album for some reason.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2264 on: April 19, 2023, 05:19:27 PM »

Bruh.....really?

I just looked up his bio, and your reply makes little to no sense to me.  I am supposed to know who he is based on all that?  Bruh...really? :P

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2265 on: April 19, 2023, 05:33:07 PM »

Bruh.....really?

I just looked up his bio, and your reply makes little to no sense to me.  I am supposed to know who he is based on all that?  Bruh...really? :P

Surely you've seen his name and Tim getting triggered every single time?  :lol

Fair though, he just seems to be fucking everywhere, it's hard to think one hasn't heard his name floating around.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2266 on: April 19, 2023, 06:00:48 PM »
Also sings for Schenker, sings with Magnus Karlsson in the Ferrymen, sings in Lords of Black, plus more.  Even has his own covers album for some reason.

The covers album sucks.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #2267 on: April 19, 2023, 06:07:56 PM »
I'm with Kev on Ronnie Romeo. Even though I have heard the name he is a total non-event to me. I'm really not sure why he would be considered to be everywhere.

I did listen to the Elegant Weapons song Do or Die and thought it was great. Really old school metal done well and I enjoyed the vocals.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2268 on: April 19, 2023, 06:09:06 PM »

The covers album sucks.

I don't need to listen to it to know that.   :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2269 on: April 19, 2023, 06:42:22 PM »
 With tis being the Priest thread, I thought I'd share Ronnie doing a Priest cover: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yCIB5O1kec

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2270 on: April 19, 2023, 06:46:21 PM »
Isn't that just awful.  And the solo, WTF?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2271 on: April 19, 2023, 07:14:20 PM »

Bruh.....really?

Fair though, he just seems to be fucking everywhere, it's hard to think one hasn't heard his name floating around.

It's possible his name has been mentioned in threads, but I never took notice of it. 

But he is everywhere?  Really?

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2272 on: April 19, 2023, 10:54:34 PM »

Tim's favorite vocalist.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2273 on: April 20, 2023, 06:14:05 AM »

Bruh.....really?

It's possible his name has been mentioned in threads, but I never took notice of it. 

But he is everywhere?  Really?

Yes, he is everywhere.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2274 on: April 20, 2023, 08:26:10 AM »
When you get into the Frontiers roster, chances are you'll be in MANY albums in a short period of time, and Ronnie surely suffers from that. Look at what happened with Jeff Scott Soto, Jeff Pilson, Alessandro Del Vecchio, Reb Beach...all of them are in at least five releases per year, if not more.