Author Topic: THE Judas Priest thread - v. new album and tour in 2024  (Read 220048 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: THE Judas Priest thread - v. Discography listening party!!
« Reply #2205 on: October 20, 2022, 03:56:10 PM »
edit: Oh, and the reason I'm posting in the first place is to chime in that according to Les, there will be 3 guitarists and 2 drummers playing an 8 minute medley.

Can't wait to see a medley of Breaking the Law, Living after Midnight, Metal Gods and You've Got Another Thing Coming.  All songs that showcase none of the bands skills.
Yeah, pretty much. But at the same time those area also the songs that got them into the thing in the first place. For this thing it honestly does make sense.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2206 on: October 20, 2022, 04:00:05 PM »
edit: Oh, and the reason I'm posting in the first place is to chime in that according to Les, there will be 3 guitarists and 2 drummers playing an 8 minute medley.

Can't wait to see a medley of Breaking the Law, Living after Midnight, Metal Gods and You've Got Another Thing Coming.  All songs that showcase none of the bands skills.
Yeah, pretty much. But at the same time those area also the songs that got them into the thing in the first place. For this thing it honestly does make sense.

Oh definitely.  I honestly wouldn't expect any different.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2207 on: October 21, 2022, 08:14:36 AM »
And not to be a dick, but to make El Barto's point, they might not even include Metal Gods (even with the connection to Rob). 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2208 on: October 21, 2022, 03:21:44 PM »
And not to be a dick, but to make El Barto's point, they might not even include Metal Gods (even with the connection to Rob).

At first I only listed the main three.  Metal Gods was an afterthought truthfully.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2209 on: October 22, 2022, 07:53:48 PM »
I think they should just play Burn in Hell.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2210 on: October 23, 2022, 04:12:00 AM »

I could get on board with this.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2211 on: October 23, 2022, 02:33:11 PM »

I agree, covering Twisted Sister would be cool!  :lol  :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2212 on: October 23, 2022, 03:22:00 PM »

Hear no evil don't you see no evil don't you lay no evil down on me
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2213 on: October 23, 2022, 08:47:12 PM »

Hear no evil don't you see no evil don't you lay no evil down on me

:metal :metal :metal :metal

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2214 on: October 24, 2022, 04:44:58 AM »

:rollin

How about Machine Man? at least the public will appreciate the clever and insightful lyrics!

So you motherfuckers want to race
You've all got "loser" tattoed on your face

:metal  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2215 on: October 26, 2022, 07:13:28 AM »
I saw them last night in a small theater, which was amazing.  The only other time I have seen Priest was at Ozzfest 2004, when they reunited with Halford, which was outdoors at an amphitheater, so you're far away and stuck watching video screens.  To be much closer and in a small venue was perfect.  They came right out of the gate with 3 songs from Screaming For Vengeance, and after that, Halford had truly warmed up.  At the end of the fourth song (Jawbreaker), he hit some massive high notes that blew the crowd away.  After that, he was STUNNING.  He sounded so well singing cleanly and then would break into higher notes so easily.  I did not expect him to be that good, given that he's 71, and we've all seen him struggle with songs like Painkiller. 

The band was completely on fire, bashing through song after song.  Ritchie Faulkner is amazing, such a killer guitarist and a wonderful showman.  He was interacting with fans up front as often as he could, posing for photos, making devil horns on his head with his fingers, then jumping back into a riff, and shredding like crazy.  My sight line wasn't as good to see Andy Sneap's side of the stage, but he seemed to hold things down with ease, and it was easy to forget that Ian Hill was in the back, thumping away.  My attention was mainly on Halford and Ritchie. 

I missed Turbo Lover, which they haven't been playing on this leg.  I love that song and thought it would be played.  The same with The Sentinel.  Other than that, their set was fantastic and hearing a bunch of rare songs like Genocide, Steeler, Screaming for Vengeance, and Riding on the Wind made up for the 2-3 songs I wanted to hear. 
« Last Edit: October 26, 2022, 10:37:41 AM by Grappler »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2216 on: October 26, 2022, 07:21:39 AM »
A lot of the footage from this tour has been fantastic. Tremendous stage design.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2217 on: October 26, 2022, 08:15:22 AM »
I saw them last night in a small theater, which was amazing.  The only other time I have seen Priest was at Ozzfest 2004, when they reunited with Halford, which was outdoors at an amphitheater, so you're far away and stuck watching video screens.  To be much closer and in a small venue was perfect.  They came right out of the gate with 3 songs from Screaming For Vengeance, and after that, Halford had truly warmed up.  At the end of the fourth song (Jawbreaker), he hit some massive high notes that blew the crowd away.  After that, he was STUNNING.  He sounded so well singing cleanly and then would break into higher notes so easily.  I did not expect him to be that good, given that he's 71, and we've all seen him struggle with songs like Painkiller. 

The band was completely on fire, bashing through song after song.  Ritchie Faulkner is amazing, such a killer guitarist and a wonderful showman.  He was interacting with fans up front as often as he could, posing for photos, making devil horns on his head with his fingers, then jumping back into a riff, and shredding like crazy.  My sight line wasn't as good to see Andy Sneap's side of the stage, but he seemed to hold things down with ease, and it was easy to forget that Ian Hill was in the back, thumping away.  My attention was mainly on Halford and Ritchie. 

I missed Turbo Lover, which they haven't been playing on this leg.  I love that song and thought it would be played.  The same with The Sentinel.  Other than that, their set was fantastic and hearing a bunch of rare songs like Genocide, Steeler, Screaming for Vengeance, Riding on the Wind and Steeler made up for the 2-3 songs I wanted to hear.

awesome   very happy for you ,,, they are truly metal magic   
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2218 on: October 26, 2022, 08:41:46 AM »

I missed Turbo Lover, which they haven't been playing on this leg.  I love that song and thought it would be played.  The same with The Sentinel.  Other than that, their set was fantastic and hearing a bunch of rare songs like Genocide, Steeler, Screaming for Vengeance, Riding on the Wind and Steeler made up for the 2-3 songs I wanted to hear.

Hell yeah my friend. Glad you had a blast. Happy you got to see two shows you'd been waiting for. Back in the concert saddle.  :metal
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2219 on: October 26, 2022, 12:04:42 PM »
Back in the concert saddle.  :metal

Thanks, and I go when I can.  Driving 70 miles for a show is becoming a pain in the ass with younger kids (re: Mercyful Fate's only show in the area is in Gary, Indiana vs. 20 miles further north in Chicago proper).  I have no interest in making that far of a trip on a weeknight.  But a handful of miles away to see Priest?  That's a no brainer! 

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #2220 on: November 06, 2022, 04:40:36 PM »
Was fortunate enough to attend the rock & roll hall of fame induction ceremony in LA last night, awesome to see the full current lineup + KK Downing and Les Binks all on stage together, putting aside any tension or ego to accept this long overdue honor. Full concert will be on hbo in a few weeks  :tup

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2221 on: November 06, 2022, 04:48:58 PM »
Caught fan filmed version of most of it. It was cool. Sadly KK stuck almost entirely to his little side of the stage and seemed to interact mostly with Ritchie, oddly enough, but it was cool to see a moment or two of him and Halford having fun. KK didn't seem to interact with anyone else at all on stage. And Les Binks......I'm not sure his kit was even mic'd up. He didn't seem to be putting any physical effort into it and it was pretty obvious we were just hearing their current drummer.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2222 on: November 06, 2022, 04:58:26 PM »
I heard Alice read Dave Holland's name, but I don't think he read Richie's name. Is that right?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2223 on: November 06, 2022, 05:03:51 PM »
I read that Downing and Tipton stayed as far away from each other as possible, in rehearsals and at the ceremony, so it doesn't like any tension was put aside, but still cool to see them get recognized.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2224 on: November 06, 2022, 05:43:18 PM »
I heard Alice read Dave Holland's name, but I don't think he read Richie's name. Is that right?

Richie performed but was not one of the members on the "induction" list.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2225 on: November 06, 2022, 10:42:47 PM »
I read that Downing and Tipton stayed as far away from each other as possible, in rehearsals and at the ceremony, so it doesn't like any tension was put aside, but still cool to see them get recognized.

This squashes any fantasies about KK rejoining after performing with the band here.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2226 on: November 07, 2022, 12:47:26 AM »
I saw a fan filmed video this morning of that medley (Thing Comin'/Breaking the Law/Midnight). It felt nice to see KK up there with them, and having some interaction with Rob as well.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2227 on: November 07, 2022, 01:12:18 AM »
Halford posted a pic in Insta of him and Dolly Parton onstage, I almost fell over and then looked on YouTube...
Nothing could have prepared me for Halford performing 'Jolene' with some of the other RNRHOF inductees, I am scarred for life  :rollin

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2228 on: November 07, 2022, 02:44:16 AM »
Wow, now I wanna see Dolly do Painkiller :P
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2229 on: November 07, 2022, 09:48:52 AM »
Wow, now I wanna see Dolly do Painkiller :P

She was certainly dressed for it!

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2230 on: November 07, 2022, 09:55:30 AM »
I know plastic surgery and all that. But for friggin 76 years old, Dolly is still smokin'!  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2231 on: November 07, 2022, 10:04:21 AM »
I enjoyed the clip of Halford's speech, talking about the heavy metal community and inclusivity.   He's such a great ambassador for metal music.  It's weird to think that they were playing near my home 2 weeks ago, and are now in the Hall of Fame, but I'm happy for them. 

Inductees were Halford, Tipton, Downing, Ian Hill, Scott Travis & Les Binks.   

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2232 on: November 07, 2022, 11:06:41 AM »
I give Richie a lot of credit to stand up there and play with them, despite not getting inducted. He was really humble about it and excited to be on stage with Tipton and Downing.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2233 on: November 07, 2022, 11:45:29 AM »
So happy for Rob and the band,  they were my fav band for so long, saw them on Hell Bent tour onward, them and Thin Lizzy really shaped my musical taste after the Beatles. Rob was always super nice when I had the chance to meet them around Screaming and Turbo era...  forever a JP fan....
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2234 on: November 07, 2022, 11:51:00 AM »
I know plastic surgery and all that. But for friggin 76 years old, Dolly is still smokin'!  :lol

I'm actually with you; she's such a smart, strong, powerful woman, there's something undeniably sexy about her. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2235 on: November 07, 2022, 11:51:45 AM »
I enjoyed the clip of Halford's speech, talking about the heavy metal community and inclusivity.   He's such a great ambassador for metal music.  It's weird to think that they were playing near my home 2 weeks ago, and are now in the Hall of Fame, but I'm happy for them. 

I thought Dave Holland made it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2236 on: November 07, 2022, 12:26:06 PM »

I'm actually with you; she's such a smart, strong, powerful woman, there's something undeniably sexy about her.

I agree with both of you too.  A fine figure too.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2237 on: November 07, 2022, 12:31:33 PM »

And Holland.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2238 on: November 07, 2022, 06:37:13 PM »
Dolly Parton is class personified. Just had to throw that out there.

Also, if you didn't join Priest until after Painkiller, you had no business being inducted, so while the "newer" members have all done their jobs well to varying degrees, none of them had anything to do with Priest getting to the HOF.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2239 on: November 08, 2022, 10:56:25 AM »
Dolly Parton is class personified. Just had to throw that out there.

Also, if you didn't join Priest until after Painkiller, you had no business being inducted, so while the "newer" members have all done their jobs well to varying degrees, none of them had anything to do with Priest getting to the HOF.

That's a class of two:  the guy who replaced Halford for a couple albums that weren't well-received and Richie Faulkner, who joined only a decade ago and has played on only two albums.  Both are no-brainers for not being part of the inducted group.  And, frankly, the inclusion of Les Binks is a bit puzzling (especially when you think about certain glaring exclusions with other artists).