Author Topic: THE Judas Priest thread - v. new album and tour in 2024  (Read 220385 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: THE Judas Priest thread - v. Discography listening party!!
« Reply #2135 on: January 15, 2022, 05:55:13 PM »
Seemed the fans were screaming for vengeance.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2136 on: January 15, 2022, 05:57:27 PM »
Yep, with two guitarists at the ready again, they are primed to take on the world.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2137 on: January 15, 2022, 05:58:34 PM »
Some heads certainly rolled when they announced the four piece news.  Fans ate the band alive!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2138 on: January 15, 2022, 06:02:53 PM »
Yep, just when it looked like Andy Sneap was going to be the victim of changes and left out in the cold, the band made a rapid fire decision and brought him back.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2139 on: January 15, 2022, 06:03:21 PM »
A raw deal for sure.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2140 on: January 15, 2022, 06:21:29 PM »
This is Reckless for the killing machine but I'm all fired up for them to ram it down our throats on tour. (Wait.. Ummmm?!, that came out wrong).  :blush  :)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 06:53:27 PM by Glasser »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2141 on: January 15, 2022, 06:59:45 PM »
This is Reckless for the killing machine but I'm all fired up for them to ram it down our throats on tour. (Wait.. Ummmm?!, that came out wrong).  :blush  :)

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2142 on: January 15, 2022, 09:31:39 PM »
The band will surely need a painkiller to get over the headache this caused.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2143 on: January 15, 2022, 09:44:09 PM »
Painkillers can also be helpful if you're burnin' up with a fever.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #2144 on: January 15, 2022, 10:56:19 PM »
All bands are a victim of changes from time to time.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2145 on: January 16, 2022, 01:50:31 AM »
You didn't have to be Nostradamus to predict the backlash happening.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2146 on: January 16, 2022, 02:07:52 AM »
I guess they felt the Rage from the fans, who said Don't Go when Andy got the boot.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Melphina

« Reply #2147 on: January 16, 2022, 07:31:09 AM »
Walrus speaking - gotta say, I was never a fan of Priest. Couldn't stand them in fact. But yeah, saw several shows on the tour (girlfriend was merch manager for Sabaton so I had some good seats and got to hang with those dudes too). JP blew me away. On the way back from a couple shows I listened to some of their biggest albums from the 80s. Generally pretty good stuff but I never went back to them. Sometimes Rob's voice on the record really grated on me. Somehow he sounded way, way better live in his 70s than on those albums. That's wild  :lol the man is an absolute monster live and I regret writing them off for so many years based on studio tracks.

I lost my shit the first time I watched them play Painkiller. Fuck yes. Still preferred Sabaton's last show in Denver, which was absolutely bonkers, but I can admit when I'm wrong - JP is very good  :tup

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2148 on: January 16, 2022, 10:25:42 AM »
Andy is back in it seems...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2149 on: January 16, 2022, 01:06:04 PM »

Er... usually Australia is a day ahead of the rest of us... :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2150 on: January 16, 2022, 01:07:41 PM »

:lol

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #2151 on: January 16, 2022, 01:43:25 PM »

:rollin
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2153 on: January 23, 2022, 02:55:03 AM »
In case you guys were interested in knowing KK's reaction to this :lol

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/kk_downing_reacts_to_judas_priests_initial_decision_to_tour_as_4-piece_calls_it_insulting.html

I'm like everybody else. I'm totally bemused. It was just so extreme and insulting in a way, I guess, and insulting to Glenn [Tipton] as well. It was kind of a slap in the face, saying, 'Okay, you two guys did it, but we think just one guy could do what…' It kind of made us and everything that we've done and created, saying it was all superfluous, really, and didn't really have the value that… I'm sure Glenn will agree with me that it does have a value.

It's kind of awkward for me, guys, because with myself and Glenn, that's Judas Priest to me," he added. "I think I've got a license to say that, after spending a lifetime in the band. And the image and everything and all the shows and all the work and all the albums and everything, everything revolves around that. I mean, if you don't see Glenn's red pants on stage, it's not Judas Priest, right?

Okay, I created an image with the flying V [guitar], long blond hair, leather and studs — I created that. It's easy to use the wheel, but inventing it is a different story.

Well,  Glenn would have known and agreed to running as a four piece in the first instance you would think so he must have been okay with it.

KK created an image?  Is that true?  I'm new to Schenker but I reckon he probably took that flying v, blonde hair type of image thing and made it just a tad more than KK?  No?  Priest was Glenn and KK was just kinda there filling the gaps.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2154 on: January 23, 2022, 03:23:43 AM »
Priest was Glenn and KK was just kinda there filling the gaps.

I agree from a musical point of view but , as you know,  from a band history point of view Glenn was recruited as a second guitarist (around the same time as Halford came in) to KK who had already been in the band 3-4 years.  So , forgetting how bitter and twisted KK may get , it's understandable that he feels that authority to speak as a "founding member" along with Ian Hill if you forget the short-termers in the very early days.

I wasn't there in the early 70's (not that old  ;D ) but I think Schenker and KK were doing similar things with their image around the same time.   If memory serves correct Schenker asked KK to join Scorps at one stage.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 04:11:25 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2155 on: January 23, 2022, 09:11:32 AM »
Didn’t KK write just as much as Tipton? He got equal credit for pretty much 40 years.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2156 on: January 23, 2022, 02:55:39 PM »
Didn’t KK write just as much as Tipton? He got equal credit for pretty much 40 years.

Almost everything from British Steel through Painkiller (along with Angel and Nostradamus) is credited to Halford, Tipton and Downing.  Prior to that, there were many songs credited only to Tipton or to Tipton and Halford.  On Jugulator, all music was credited to Tipton and Downing, but on Demolition, Downing is credited on only 5/13 tracks.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2157 on: January 23, 2022, 03:01:00 PM »
Priest was Glenn and KK was just kinda there filling the gaps.

I agree from a musical point of view but , as you know,  from a band history point of view Glenn was recruited as a second guitarist (around the same time as Halford came in) to KK who had already been in the band 3-4 years.  So , forgetting how bitter and twisted KK may get , it's understandable that he feels that authority to speak as a "founding member" along with Ian Hill if you forget the short-termers in the very early days.

I wasn't there in the early 70's (not that old  ;D ) but I think Schenker and KK were doing similar things with their image around the same time.   If memory serves correct Schenker asked KK to join Scorps at one stage.

Yeah, I know all that.  Maybe I was a little harsh and pg said, the writing credits are evenly split.

I just think Priest wouldn't have gotten to the heights they did without Tipton.  Maybe I'm just being a fanboy too, which is entirely possible.

It would have been interesting to know the exact split of music writing over the years between the two.  Can't help but to feel Glenn was the more driving force being his leads are much more frequent than KK.

I do think if KK was keen to rejoin, the band should put the rivalry between them do it.  It makes sense.  Richie handles all of Glenn's parts fine anyway.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2158 on: January 23, 2022, 03:28:04 PM »

I just think Priest wouldn't have gotten to the heights they did without Tipton. 

I do think if KK was keen to rejoin, the band should put the rivalry between them do it.  It makes sense.  Richie handles all of Glenn's parts fine anyway.

Yep.   If KK's solo work is any indication it's yet another example in classic bands of the "sum of the parts" being much greater.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2159 on: January 23, 2022, 05:02:56 PM »
What a disappointment that KK album was.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2160 on: January 23, 2022, 05:14:46 PM »

What were your expectations? I had none so I actually enjoy it. Not ground breaking but its not terrible.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2161 on: January 23, 2022, 05:22:13 PM »

What were your expectations? I had none so I actually enjoy it. Not ground breaking but its not terrible.

Some half decent music with at least some creative forethought and some better soloing than the pathetic nonsensical sloppy noodling we got here.  Some lyrics that sound like a 5 year old wrote them is not ideal either.

I was trying to enjoy it and tried convincing myself but by the end I was like, 'nah, this sucks!'

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2162 on: January 23, 2022, 10:43:43 PM »

Some half decent music with at least some creative forethought and some better soloing than the pathetic nonsensical sloppy noodling we got here.  Some lyrics that sound like a 5 year old wrote them is not ideal either.

I was trying to enjoy it and tried convincing myself but by the end I was like, 'nah, this sucks!'

Yup my exact thoughts, absolute rubbish and if didn't have KK's name on it, I doubt if anyone would have been talking about it at all.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2163 on: January 23, 2022, 11:49:49 PM »

Yup my exact thoughts, absolute rubbish and if didn't have KK's name on it, I doubt if anyone would have been talking about it at all.

Most wouldn't even know it existed if it wasn't for that.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2164 on: January 24, 2022, 09:24:11 AM »
In case you guys were interested in knowing KK's reaction to this :lol

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/kk_downing_reacts_to_judas_priests_initial_decision_to_tour_as_4-piece_calls_it_insulting.html

I'm like everybody else. I'm totally bemused. It was just so extreme and insulting in a way, I guess, and insulting to Glenn [Tipton] as well. It was kind of a slap in the face, saying, 'Okay, you two guys did it, but we think just one guy could do what…' It kind of made us and everything that we've done and created, saying it was all superfluous, really, and didn't really have the value that… I'm sure Glenn will agree with me that it does have a value.

It's kind of awkward for me, guys, because with myself and Glenn, that's Judas Priest to me," he added. "I think I've got a license to say that, after spending a lifetime in the band. And the image and everything and all the shows and all the work and all the albums and everything, everything revolves around that. I mean, if you don't see Glenn's red pants on stage, it's not Judas Priest, right?

Okay, I created an image with the flying V [guitar], long blond hair, leather and studs — I created that. It's easy to use the wheel, but inventing it is a different story.

Well,  Glenn would have known and agreed to running as a four piece in the first instance you would think so he must have been okay with it.

KK created an image?  Is that true?  I'm new to Schenker but I reckon he probably took that flying v, blonde hair type of image thing and made it just a tad more than KK?  No?  Priest was Glenn and KK was just kinda there filling the gaps.

I got into Priest in '82 with Screaming... and went from there.  FOR ME, and I only speak for me, the image was always Rob and the leather and the bike.   It wasn't like Kiss where each member had a distinctive costume that changed specifically for each tour.  Yeah, maybe Glenn's red pants, but beyond that...   Maybe it's the cover of the MSG album, but if you said to me "Flying V", my first thought is Michael Schenker, my second thought is Rudy Schenker, and then, maybe, KK Downing.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2165 on: February 25, 2022, 02:10:04 AM »
Apparently the new JP album will have some progressive elements, according to Halford.

"Yeah, the metal is there. But here's the thing: we've tried our best not to replicate anything that we've done. From 'Rocka Rolla' all the way through to 'Firepower', each record has had a distinctive character. And it's tough because fans go, 'We want another 'Painkiller',' 'We want another 'British Steel'.' And [it's, like], 'Dude, we've already done that.'

"Fans know that we're a band that is always full of adventure and trying new stuff," he continued. "And so, yeah, this has got probably some more progressive elements that we've never really delved into before. And that's exciting, because, again, it gives us and our fans another opportunity to see a different side of Priest. But it's still metal. There's just more of it. There are more notes than there were before."

Rob Halford Explains What Judas Priest's New Album Is Going to Be Like, Says There'll Be 'Progressive Elements' | Music News @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2166 on: February 28, 2022, 10:40:07 AM »
I like the way Richie thinks. He should just mediate a sit down.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/richie-faulkner-says-10-years-of-weirdness-between-k-k-downing-and-judas-priest-has-been-a-bit-unnecessary/

"I don't know what it would take to patch that up, but it's been 10 years of weirdness, really. It's been a bit unnecessary. And I said this the other week, really, and I hate to repeat myself, but they were brothers for 40 years. And I think, music aside, pick up the phone and have a chat, have a pint down the pub and just catch up and be buddies again more than anything else. But as I said before, it's not my relationship to nurture, really; it's up to them to handle.

"Obviously, it goes without saying, if Ken ever came back, I'd be willing to move over or do whatever it takes," Faulkner added. "It's JUDAS PRIEST. I'd be willing to get out or move over or wear a funny hat — or whatever it needs to do. But as I said, it's not my relationship to take care of, really."

beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2167 on: February 28, 2022, 10:44:51 AM »

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/richie-faulkner-says-10-years-of-weirdness-between-k-k-downing-and-judas-priest-has-been-a-bit-unnecessary/

"I don't know what it would take to patch that up, but it's been 10 years of weirdness, really. It's been a bit unnecessary. And I said this the other week, really, and I hate to repeat myself, but they were brothers for 40 years. And I think, music aside, pick up the phone and have a chat, have a pint down the pub and just catch up and be buddies again more than anything else. But as I said before, it's not my relationship to nurture, really; it's up to them to handle.

"Obviously, it goes without saying, if Ken ever came back, I'd be willing to move over or do whatever it takes," Faulkner added. "It's JUDAS PRIEST. I'd be willing to get out or move over or wear a funny hat — or whatever it needs to do. But as I said, it's not my relationship to take care of, really."

I'm with you; I love that attitude.  And he's right.  Stop litigating this through Blabbermouth, and go find a quiet pub in Wolverhampton where they don't give a rat's ass who you are or what band you're in.  Bobby Plant knows of a couple I'm sure.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2168 on: February 28, 2022, 11:10:48 AM »
Walrus speaking - gotta say, I was never a fan of Priest. Couldn't stand them in fact. But yeah, saw several shows on the tour (girlfriend was merch manager for Sabaton so I had some good seats and got to hang with those dudes too). JP blew me away. On the way back from a couple shows I listened to some of their biggest albums from the 80s. Generally pretty good stuff but I never went back to them. Sometimes Rob's voice on the record really grated on me. Somehow he sounded way, way better live in his 70s than on those albums. That's wild  :lol the man is an absolute monster live and I regret writing them off for so many years based on studio tracks.

I lost my shit the first time I watched them play Painkiller. Fuck yes. Still preferred Sabaton's last show in Denver, which was absolutely bonkers, but I can admit when I'm wrong - JP is very good  :tup

Better late than never.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2169 on: February 28, 2022, 12:51:38 PM »

I was never a fan of Richie when he joined but I'm liking him more and more.  He's earned his place now but this attitude is beyond his years.  I think his heart issue he experienced probably helps with this sensible and mature thinking.