Author Topic: THE Judas Priest thread - v. new album and tour in 2024  (Read 220715 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: THE Judas Priest thread - v. Discography listening party!!
« Reply #2065 on: January 11, 2022, 12:10:47 AM »
But they could get a decent fill in at bargain price.  Its Judas Priest ffs!  I'll do it for free food backstage after the shows.
I was actually going to suggest this earlier. Not only could you do it, but you'd probably learn what you don't already know in two weeks. They're going to spend two months figuring out how to play Electric Eye with only one guitar. It would be dirt cheap and a helluva lot easier to find a fill in.

I'd quit my job right now and literally do it for free.  Fuck, I may even pay them!  :lol
We should start a petition to get Wolfking in as Judas Priest's touring guitarist.  :metal

I never heard him play a lick, but screw it, I'm in, that would rule. After that happens we can petition to get Jingle Boy as the new Haken keyboardist.

Where do I sign?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2066 on: January 11, 2022, 06:49:28 AM »
So you got the chops (that Electric Eye gave me chills; that's one of my favorite Priest tunes), but we need to know if you can hang with the band on stage.  Send us some photos of you dressed like KK on the Fuel For Life tour.  :)

(And even if you don't get the gig, we can hold those over your head for years to come!)

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2067 on: January 11, 2022, 07:52:11 AM »
Thanks man.  I think All Guns Blazing is my best one.

https://youtu.be/EUTGzqeFrrY

Props man. That shit ain't easy.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2068 on: January 11, 2022, 08:23:27 AM »
Rob and Ian cannot need the money, I wouldn't think. Perhaps they're performing because they want to. It's what they do.

I'm certain Rob doesn't.  Ian, on the other hand, receives no publishing income, so he only gets paid from album and merch sales and touring (although at this point, the number of people getting a piece of that pie is down to 3).

The public Rob Halford is a bit of a character/caricature, but the man is humble and genuinely loves what he does and the fans.

I was going to say that we should all blame Ian Hill for this.   :lol   KK wrote about that in his book, that Ian truly needs touring income in order to earn a living. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2069 on: January 11, 2022, 10:32:54 AM »
So you got the chops (that Electric Eye gave me chills; that's one of my favorite Priest tunes), but we need to know if you can hang with the band on stage.  Send us some photos of you dressed like KK on the Fuel For Life tour.  :)

(And even if you don't get the gig, we can hold those over your head for years to come!)

Am I the only one who watched this with disappointment that WK doesn't look like one of the guys in Winger?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2070 on: January 11, 2022, 10:46:13 AM »

Am I the only one who watched this with disappointment that WK doesn't look like one of the guys in Winger?

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2071 on: January 11, 2022, 12:17:38 PM »

Thanks Bill. 

Where do I get me some of those sunnies?  :lol

Yes.  I'm very disappointed actually. :lol

Cheers mate.  Yeah, an underrated and technically outstanding solo.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 12:50:21 PM by wolfking »

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2072 on: January 11, 2022, 02:05:52 PM »

Thanks Bill. 

Where do I get me some of those sunnies?  :lol

Yes.  I'm very disappointed actually. :lol

Cheers mate.  Yeah, an underrated and technically outstanding solo.

Darn! I thought wolfking was Reb Beach!  :lol :lol :lol :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2073 on: January 11, 2022, 02:42:20 PM »
Reb has a lot more hair than me these days so definitely not.  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2074 on: January 11, 2022, 05:11:12 PM »
Damn, look at you shred  :metal

Also, this single guitarist thing seems so weird to me for such a band.   ??? I'm not a big enough fan to know or possibly understand the decision, but considering the guitarists who would jump at the opportunity including former member/s, it just feels cheap in a way.  Like I can't imagine IM ever going to 1 guitarist at any point.

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #2075 on: January 11, 2022, 10:55:56 PM »
What's making me the saddest about the 4-member lineup is the possibility that they'll have canned rhythm and harmony guitar parts (either just during the solos or throughout). If this is what they're planning to pull, it's using a whole tour as a middle finger to KK's undiplomatic ways. Just speculation, but it's hard to understand how else they're thinking of pulling this off.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2076 on: January 11, 2022, 11:38:29 PM »
As I see it they have three options:
1. One guitar, drop all the harmonies, have less rhythm fills, in other words some songs are going to sound different.
2. Play to a backing track, which I am sure will go down like a lead balloon.
3. Have a roadie play some parts offstage.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #2077 on: January 12, 2022, 12:56:56 AM »
As I see it they have four options:
1. One guitar, drop all the harmonies, have less rhythm fills, in other words some songs are going to sound different.
4. Give Wolfking a ring.
Fixed that for you  :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2078 on: January 12, 2022, 04:30:29 AM »
 :metal

Cheers cram also!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2079 on: January 12, 2022, 04:42:18 AM »
As I see it they have three options:

2 and 3 would essentially be the same thing, though you've pretty much laid out the options.

My thinking also is if they do strictly go as a 4 piece, they might look at songs with less harmonies, extended lead parts etc?  Might box them into of what they can play.  Might see more simple straightforward numbers that won't sound too different with 1 guitar over 2.

Online Grappler

« Reply #2080 on: January 12, 2022, 07:16:01 AM »
I can see them playing with a backing track of the second guitar.  They were just on tour with Sabaton, who pipes in ALL of the keyboards and the crowd still goes berzerk for them. 

It would be weird for Priest to only have one guitarist, while still having the sound of the second guitar coming through, but that seems to be the easiest solution for them if they want to save money.  I just think it's dumb for a band that is known for having a twin guitar attack to only have one guitar.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2081 on: January 12, 2022, 08:14:57 AM »
I just read somewhere that Glenn and Jayne Andrews are married? Is that true?  I'm not a fan of the Priest way of doing business (I've written about that before).   Even though Priest is a bit older, I always sort of equate them with Maiden, and for my money, Maiden is the way to do it, and Priest is the way NOT to do it.  Whatever it is.  :)

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2082 on: January 12, 2022, 09:29:02 AM »
Iron Maiden has basically always done everything right (save the occasional brain fart throughouth the '90s).
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2083 on: January 12, 2022, 12:51:56 PM »
I just read somewhere that Glenn and Jayne Andrews are married? Is that true?  I'm not a fan of the Priest way of doing business (I've written about that before).   Even though Priest is a bit older, I always sort of equate them with Maiden, and for my money, Maiden is the way to do it, and Priest is the way NOT to do it.  Whatever it is.  :)

I thought it was pretty common knowledge that they were a couple.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2084 on: January 12, 2022, 01:33:15 PM »
I can see them playing with a backing track of the second guitar.  They were just on tour with Sabaton, who pipes in ALL of the keyboards and the crowd still goes berzerk for them. 

I think that all those bands that using keyboard/symphonic backing tracks live can get away with it and it's kind of accepted that they are needed.
Huge difference for a well established band of 50 years whose sound is built around twin guitars to have only one guitarist on stage, with another guitar being pumped through the PA.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2085 on: January 12, 2022, 02:11:11 PM »

I think that all those bands that using keyboard/symphonic backing tracks live can get away with it and it's kind of accepted that they are needed.
Huge difference for a well established band of 50 years whose sound is built around twin guitars to have only one guitarist on stage, with another guitar being pumped through the PA.

Agree.  Totally different ballgame.

I even think way its worse than your Whitesnakes and your WASPs piping in backing vocals.  A whole guitar line for an entire show is a joke.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2086 on: January 12, 2022, 02:13:57 PM »

I even think way its worse than your Whitesnakes and your WASPs piping in backing vocals.  A whole guitar line for an entire show is a joke.

...and Dream Theater  :tdwn :tdwn :tdwn
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2087 on: January 12, 2022, 02:38:47 PM »
Yeah that's fair.  What Whitesnake and WASP do is another level than DT though.

If you throw DT in youd have to throw Rush in too wouldn't you?  Neither of what both those bands do have ever really bothered me though.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2088 on: January 12, 2022, 03:16:57 PM »

You sure you didn't mean to say lead vocals for WASP?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2089 on: January 12, 2022, 03:28:46 PM »

You sure you didn't mean to say lead vocals for WASP?

Yeah, I did kinda mean that for both bands actually thinking about it now.  Whitesnake were almost as bad, but Reb did cover a lot.

Online Grappler

« Reply #2090 on: January 12, 2022, 03:50:37 PM »

Hey, I even said a sentence or two later that I think it's a dumb idea for Priest.  But it is what I think will happen.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #2091 on: January 12, 2022, 11:46:19 PM »
Wait, one guitarist? Quartet? Wat?!

Even before Maiden, Judas Priest practically wrote the book on the dual guitar metal band format- it’s their trademark. Along with Rob Halford’s pipes, the guitar 1-2 punch was Priest- what made them special.

Time to get KK back, pay the man what he wants- and do one more world tour. Maybe even get Tipton to come out and play a solo or two during the encore. Or call up Michael Schenker or something, what the hell is he doing these day?

Either way, time to bury the hatchets (while there still IS time) and go out with some class, then call it a day. They had a damn good run.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2092 on: January 13, 2022, 01:27:21 AM »
I think Ken has burned all his bridges with Priest, we really don't know what else went down that hasn't been publicised.
Halford has strangely been silent on social media since the news about Andy Sneap broke.
Plus he is pimping his comedy metal album that sounds like he wrote the music and lyrics as a teenager...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2093 on: January 13, 2022, 04:02:28 AM »
New Halford album or you talking about KKs disappointing outing?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2094 on: January 13, 2022, 07:13:37 AM »
I go both ways on the piping in, to be honest.   I think it depends on the band and it depends on the show.   Seeing a band like U2 or Pink Floyd in a baseball stadium, I can understand it.  60,000 people, it's probably a hits-laden show, the people need to hear what they expect to hear.  Putting a layer of keyboards through the PA isn't going to kill anyone, especially since Bono is still going to Bono, and Gilmour is still going to Gilmour. 

If I'm seeing a band like.... Rival Sons, or Slash with Myles, or any of the Portnoy/Morse collaborations, I'm not there for the same thing.  I want to see those men, at that moment, playing their instruments as best they can.  If they make a mistake, or flub a vocal, or miss a cue, that's part of the magic, and for a musician of that calibre, it's less about making mistakes than how you respond.  I LOVE band trainwrecks, for precisely that reason.  The bands I've been in universally suck, and if someone flubbed a note bad, or lost time, the only option was to stop, regroup and start over.  These guys are masters; they figure out a way.  Backing tracks, clicks, whatever, IMO limit those possibilities.

I'm not as big a Rush fan as some here, but I 100% tolerate whatever they feel they have to pipe in, because at the end of the day, it was still Neil being Neil, it was still Geddy playing everything except the roasting chickens in the backline, and Alex playing guitar.  I'm cool with Kiss using keyboards and some vocals in the back, because of the spectacle, and that's still Gene croaking out Deuce for the 1000th time, and I don't think I've seen a Kiss show where he doesn't fuck something up (the best was at Madison Square Garden on the first reunion tour; I was right in front of him, he was standing up on a riser on the right and completely lost the track of the lyrics to Let Me Go, Rock And Roll; oddly, it was an amazing moment).  I'm starting to turn on Marillion a little bit, because it seems that Mark Kelly's sole job now is triggering sounds, not playing keyboards, and it's getting a little TOO perfect.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2095 on: January 13, 2022, 09:07:41 AM »
I go both ways on the piping in, to be honest.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Rob did too for a while.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2096 on: January 13, 2022, 09:33:23 AM »
New Halford album or you talking about KKs disappointing outing?

AFAIK there is no new Halford, so definitely KK atrocious album.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2097 on: January 13, 2022, 11:38:16 AM »
I go both ways on the piping in, to be honest.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Rob did too for a while.

You kill me.  :)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2098 on: January 13, 2022, 12:00:26 PM »
I think it depends on the band and it depends on the show.

For me, it's not so much the spectacle aspect of what's being piped in as it is the content.

Recorded backing vocals on a couple Rush songs?  Sure.  Iron Maiden with some recorded keyboard patches?  That's fine because NO ONE is attending a Rush show for the epic three part harmony vocals or a Maiden show for Rudessian keyboarding.  On the other hand, Yes using canned backing vocals would be unacceptable because that's a huge part of Yes's sound.  Same goes for Priest.  It's not some incidental rhythm guitar to fill out the sound for a band that only has one guitarists.  As Volante noted, Priest wrote the book on the two-guitar attack in a metal band.  Having Richie Faulkner stand at the edge of the stage playing half of a soaring harmony guitar part while the other part is being piped in is LAME.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2099 on: January 13, 2022, 12:23:16 PM »
Or call up Michael Schenker or something, what the hell is he doing these day?