Author Topic: THE Judas Priest thread - v. new album and tour in 2024  (Read 220741 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: THE Judas Priest thread - v. Discography listening party!!
« Reply #1890 on: June 15, 2021, 12:38:38 PM »
Just picked up Rob's book from the town library! :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1891 on: June 15, 2021, 12:52:31 PM »
All done with KK, and the interview came out great! I mentioned to him that his new album is a call back to the 'Heavy Metal Parking Lot" days, and he loved to hear that.

one thing he told me about the Ripper years, which you guys are discussing right now: "the issue wasn't that Ripper was there, but the fact that Rob WASN'T".

Did you already listened to the entire album? Are you allowed to share with us your general overview?
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1892 on: June 15, 2021, 01:19:41 PM »
All done with KK, and the interview came out great! I mentioned to him that his new album is a call back to the 'Heavy Metal Parking Lot" days, and he loved to hear that.

one thing he told me about the Ripper years, which you guys are discussing right now: "the issue wasn't that Ripper was there, but the fact that Rob WASN'T".

Did you already listened to the entire album? Are you allowed to share with us your general overview?

I had access to 5 songs, and they're a perfect bridge between early 80's Priest and the Ripper days.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1893 on: June 15, 2021, 01:23:47 PM »
I had access to 5 songs, and they're a perfect bridge between early 80's Priest and the Ripper days.

So, this?

;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1894 on: June 15, 2021, 01:59:30 PM »

So, this?

;D

Nailed it!

Offline devieira73

« Reply #1895 on: June 15, 2021, 03:09:06 PM »
 :D :D Thanks, Rodrigo!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1896 on: June 15, 2021, 06:02:00 PM »

Please tell me that the single is the worst of the bunch?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1897 on: June 16, 2021, 06:39:57 AM »

His book is one of the only musician's autobiographies that I couldn't put down.  A lot of times, they're really boring as they talk about their childhood and growing up, but Rob's book didn't feel like that at all.  He has some absolutely hilarious and lewd stories and some very sad and tragic ones too. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1898 on: June 16, 2021, 07:26:58 AM »

His book is one of the only musician's autobiographies that I couldn't put down.  A lot of times, they're really boring as they talk about their childhood and growing up, but Rob's book didn't feel like that at all.  He has some absolutely hilarious and lewd stories and some very sad and tragic ones too.

The best one I've read was Duff McKagen's first book. It was amazing. And also Alice Cooper's Golf Monster. I was literally laughing out loud with that one.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1899 on: June 16, 2021, 07:28:18 AM »
My favourite is Paul Stanley's book, Face The Music. I recently re-read it, and I don't often do that.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1900 on: June 16, 2021, 12:16:57 PM »
New KK tune!

https://bravewords.com/news/kk-s-priest-debut-sermons-of-the-sinner-music-video

Look, Ripper seems like a great guy and all, but I wish KK had someone else on this. And by someone else, I do NOT mean Ronnie Romero! :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1901 on: June 16, 2021, 02:59:00 PM »
New KK tune!

Look, Ripper seems like a great guy and all, but I wish KK had someone else on this. And by someone else, I do NOT mean Ronnie Romero! :lol

HAHAHA, he does seem to be the "it" boy these days.   

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1902 on: June 16, 2021, 03:54:53 PM »
New KK tune!

Fucking hell, this blows!!  Ripper sounds shit and it's just generic as fuck.  Not sure why the drummer is shirtless too.  Plus the lead playing is terrible.  KK isn't that great on these two songs but the other guitarist is fucking awful.  I could even do a better job than this pleb I reckon, jeez!

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #1903 on: June 16, 2021, 05:39:58 PM »
I think Ripper sounds ok but he clearly is at the very edge of his range and it sounds really forced.

Overall like Hellfire Thunderbolt I don't think it's a bad song but I expected something better from KK's big return to music. Musically it sounds like it could be any other band. Now I didn't expect it to sound like an old school priest record but if you're going to make your bandname reference your former band there should be at least some hints of JP in there.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1904 on: June 16, 2021, 06:12:23 PM »
I don't know, I liked it. Seems exactly what I was expecting. Has that Ripper-era Priest vibe to me. Sounds like it could have fit in during his time with the band.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1905 on: June 16, 2021, 07:28:33 PM »
I don't know, I liked it. Seems exactly what I was expecting. Has that Ripper-era Priest vibe to me. Sounds like it could have fit in during his time with the band.

I don't hear that at all.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #1906 on: June 16, 2021, 07:44:14 PM »
I liked the two song thus far, my only real complaint is that Ripper is too much over the top on both songs. He isn't reminding me Ripper from Jugulator neither Demolition neither Spirits of Fire honestly.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1907 on: June 17, 2021, 07:11:00 AM »
It definitely reminds of Priest.   But my opinion only, Ripper sounds whiny in this; Rob (the inevitable comparison) is such a powerful singer that this sounds thin, especially in the breakdown.   I liked the solo after the breakdown.  I gotta say, the video was cheese, and the verse vocal is the part of Rob's style I like least, but I found myself WANTING to hate it more than I actually did.  The breakdown part was actually pretty cool and very Priest-like.    I still don't think I'm ever going to listen to this again - why listen to a Priest knock off when I can dive right into the real thing - but it's not as bad as I had feared.

Having said that, this bugged me (from the article):  Downing says “The song and title track 'Sermons Of The Sinner' epitomizes the whole album in one just song. It is all-encompassing with its tribute to the history of our beloved genre of music, while updating the details for today’s audience. In the song and video we not only extend our humble gratitude to loyal fans of classic rock and metal but also present a subtle warning about the future of the genre. We are very hopeful that the song and album Sermons of the Sinner will inspire young and older musicians alike to pick up their instruments and keep alive the rock music that so many of us have become a part of, and that has become such a part of us."

I get aspiring to high goals, but the whole "carrying the flag" thing is getting really tired and lame, IMO.  Between this shit and Eddie Trunk, you'd think hard rock and heavy metal was a dying, extinct artform, and I'm just not seeing that.  GnR is touring stadiums on their name alone, as is Metallica, Maiden and Priest are both active and putting out (high quality) new music, Kiss is touring with a vengeance, Michael Schenker is on a fucking whirlwind career tail at this point, putting out some of the best music of his career, even Blackmore hung up the lute and the harp and put on a couple decent electric shows...  just who are you "saving" us from?!?

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1908 on: June 17, 2021, 08:30:34 AM »
There's nothing special about it. The Intro was interesting but that gets abandoned for a typical metal riff and those annoying screechy vocals that only a dog can hear. I've never been a Ripper fan - it's all so one dimensional.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1909 on: June 17, 2021, 09:13:05 AM »
It definitely reminds of Priest.   But my opinion only, Ripper sounds whiny in this; Rob (the inevitable comparison) is such a powerful singer that this sounds thin, especially in the breakdown.   I liked the solo after the breakdown.  I gotta say, the video was cheese, and the verse vocal is the part of Rob's style I like least, but I found myself WANTING to hate it more than I actually did.  The breakdown part was actually pretty cool and very Priest-like.    I still don't think I'm ever going to listen to this again - why listen to a Priest knock off when I can dive right into the real thing - but it's not as bad as I had feared.

Having said that, this bugged me (from the article):  Downing says “The song and title track 'Sermons Of The Sinner' epitomizes the whole album in one just song. It is all-encompassing with its tribute to the history of our beloved genre of music, while updating the details for today’s audience. In the song and video we not only extend our humble gratitude to loyal fans of classic rock and metal but also present a subtle warning about the future of the genre. We are very hopeful that the song and album Sermons of the Sinner will inspire young and older musicians alike to pick up their instruments and keep alive the rock music that so many of us have become a part of, and that has become such a part of us."

I get aspiring to high goals, but the whole "carrying the flag" thing is getting really tired and lame, IMO.  Between this shit and Eddie Trunk, you'd think hard rock and heavy metal was a dying, extinct artform, and I'm just not seeing that.  GnR is touring stadiums on their name alone, as is Metallica, Maiden and Priest are both active and putting out (high quality) new music, Kiss is touring with a vengeance, Michael Schenker is on a fucking whirlwind career tail at this point, putting out some of the best music of his career, even Blackmore hung up the lute and the harp and put on a couple decent electric shows...  just who are you "saving" us from?!?

I very much agree with all you say here...100%...(independently of how good/bad KK's Priest is)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1911 on: June 23, 2021, 10:57:14 AM »
Here's my chat with KK - enjoy!!!!

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/interviews/interview-with-kk-downing/

Rodrigo, did you get a chat with any of the Helloween guys? Seems everyone and their brother interviewed one of them.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1912 on: June 23, 2021, 11:31:21 AM »
Here's my chat with KK - enjoy!!!!

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/interviews/interview-with-kk-downing/

Rodrigo, did you get a chat with any of the Helloween guys? Seems everyone and their brother interviewed one of them.

I wanted to, but didn't get any replies from my editor. When that happens, typically someone else in the team has taken the interview.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1913 on: June 25, 2021, 12:11:03 PM »
I agree the song is pretty generic, but I think Ripper sounds amazing.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1914 on: June 25, 2021, 12:26:31 PM »
Ya know, not that jazzed by the Turbo LP, but I bought the 30th Ann. deluxe version with the full show from Kansas City (NOT the same show as the Fuel For Life show on the Electric Eye DVD, and one of the shows that the previous remasters quoted).   Holy crap.   I don't care if it's doctored or not, it sounds PHENOMENAL.   Especially the Defenders songs; Love Bites is amazing on this set, as is The Sentinel (which I love) and Freewheel Burning (which normally doesn't really do it for me).    Rob is just so fucking good.   

In the other thread about Viper King, we're talking about the generic nature of some singers, and for me Rob is the perfect blend.  He's got that smooth silky voice when he needs it, he's got the deep raspy voice when he needs that, and he's got the upper register when he needs THAT. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1915 on: June 25, 2021, 07:26:48 PM »
Ya know, not that jazzed by the Turbo LP, but I bought the 30th Ann. deluxe version with the full show from Kansas City (NOT the same show as the Fuel For Life show on the Electric Eye DVD, and one of the shows that the previous remasters quoted).   Holy crap.   I don't care if it's doctored or not, it sounds PHENOMENAL.   Especially the Defenders songs; Love Bites is amazing on this set, as is The Sentinel (which I love) and Freewheel Burning (which normally doesn't really do it for me).    Rob is just so fucking good.   

In the other thread about Viper King, we're talking about the generic nature of some singers, and for me Rob is the perfect blend.  He's got that smooth silky voice when he needs it, he's got the deep raspy voice when he needs that, and he's got the upper register when he needs THAT.

Tim I think inspired me to purchase that deluxe version a year or so ago.  That was indeed a great show included.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1916 on: July 15, 2021, 02:03:54 PM »
https://www.loudersound.com/news/judas-priest-celebrate-50-heavy-metal-years-with-epic-42-disc-box-set

Judas Priest Reflections: 50 Heavy Metal Years Of Music
CD1: Rocka Rolla
CD2: Sad Wings of Destiny
CD3: Sin After Sin
CD4: Stained Glass
CD5: Killing Machine
CD6: Unleashed In the East (Live in Japan 1979)
CD7: British Steel
CD8: Point Of Entry
CD9: Screaming for Vengeance
CD10: Defenders of the Faith
CD11: Turbo
CD12 & CD13: Priest… Live!
CD14: Ram It Down
CD15: Painkiller
CD16: Jugulator
CD17 & CD18: ’98 Live Meltdown
CD19: Demolition
CD20 & CD21: Live in London
CD22: Angel of Retribution
CD23: Nostradamus (Act 1)
CD24: Nostradamus (Act 2)
CD25: A Touch Of Evil Live
CD26 & CD27: Redeemer of Souls
CD29: Firepower
CD30 & CD31: Live In Atlanta ’82 (Previously Unreleased)
CD32: Live At The Mudd Club ’79
CD33 & CD34: Live In Houston ’86
CD35 & CD36: Live In New Haven ’88
CD37: Los Angeles '90 (Previously Unreleased)
CD38: London '81(Previously Unreleased)
CD39: Denver '80 (Previously Unreleased)
CD40: Irvine '91 (Previously Unreleased)
CD41 & CD42: Beyond Live & Rare: Previously unreleased stereo recordings from the archives

I have every single CD up to Firepower including all the live stuff, but depending on price, I'm tempted to get this regardless.  Concerts from the Ram it Down and Painkiller tours really interest me.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1917 on: July 15, 2021, 02:43:12 PM »
IIRC, this is the first time that Rocka Rolla and Sad Wings have been included in an official set from the band. So that’s pretty cool.

I’m on the fence on this one. I’ve always been much bigger into Iron Maiden than Judas priest. Their catalog can be very spotty for me. But there’s much of this that I do not own and if the price was a reasonable “big bang for your buck“ I might be tempted to pull the trigger.

I’ve got a friend who thinks that the price tag is going to be $1000. But I’m hoping it’s gonna be more around 500.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 03:01:50 PM by jammindude »
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1918 on: July 15, 2021, 02:46:09 PM »
Don't see many takers at 1000 bucks.  Won't be that high.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1919 on: July 15, 2021, 03:00:23 PM »

Even though I’m only really into about 60% of Judas Priest’s material, I think I would pull the trigger if it was 300-400. If it were 500 I’d be tempted but not as sure.

42 discs is A LOT of material. But there’s also no DVDs and just a few cool trinkets. I think I’m going to be wishy-washy about this one. You might see me change my mind three or four times. LOL
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1920 on: July 15, 2021, 03:14:28 PM »

Even though I’m only really into about 60% of Judas Priest’s material, I think I would pull the trigger if it was 300-400. If it were 500 I’d be tempted but not as sure.

42 discs is A LOT of material. But there’s also no DVDs and just a few cool trinkets. I think I’m going to be wishy-washy about this one. You might see me change my mind three or four times. LOL

A couple of DVD's would have been nice for sure.  I'll see the price before making a decision.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1921 on: July 15, 2021, 03:55:00 PM »
I’d mostly be interested in that unreleased live stuff up til ‘88 or so.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1922 on: July 15, 2021, 04:02:33 PM »
I'm mostly interested in discs 41 and 42 (along with 28, which apparently is a complete mystery), but the chances that I'd buy this are incredibly slim.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1923 on: July 15, 2021, 04:10:53 PM »
I'm mostly interested in discs 41 and 42 (along with 28, which apparently is a complete mystery), but the chances that I'd buy this are incredibly slim.

Huh, good pickup.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #1924 on: July 15, 2021, 07:15:32 PM »
If they release a cheaper version with just the CDs but without all the autographs and stuff I may be interested but I can't justify spending that much.

Also I wonder if the songs from the SAW sessions will be on there. After reading about them in Halford's book I'd be really interested in hearing them.
Do you read Sutter Cane?