Author Topic: THE Judas Priest thread - v. new album and tour in 2024  (Read 220254 times)

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: THE Judas Priest thread - v. Discography listening party!!
« Reply #1855 on: June 07, 2021, 10:15:49 AM »
In 2011 I ran a JP survivor here on DTF. This is how the final round ended up.

1. Painkiller
2. The Hellion / Electric Eye
3. Exciter
4. Victim Of Changes
5. Jawbreaker
6. The Sentinel
7. Beyond The Realms Of Death
8. Freewheel Burning
9. Hell Bent For Leather
10. Ram It Down
11. Blood Red Skies
12. Sinner
13. Heading Out To The Highway
14. Cathedral Spires
15. One Shot At Glory
16. Dissident Aggressor
17. Rapid Fire
18. Metal Gods
19. Judas Rising
20. Prophecy
21. Jugulator
22. Subterfuge
23. Out In The Cold
24. Run Of The Mill
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1856 on: June 07, 2021, 10:19:34 AM »
Looks like the US tour with Sabaton is back on.  Not surprisingly since both bands had been announced for different shows already.  Now there isn't a schedule conflict for me, so I hope to see JP for the first time this fall although I am way more excited to see Sabaton.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1857 on: June 07, 2021, 10:32:06 AM »
In 2011 I ran a JP survivor here on DTF. This is how the final round ended up.

1. Painkiller
2. The Hellion / Electric Eye
3. Exciter
4. Victim Of Changes
5. Jawbreaker
6. The Sentinel
7. Beyond The Realms Of Death
8. Freewheel Burning
9. Hell Bent For Leather
10. Ram It Down
11. Blood Red Skies
12. Sinner
13. Heading Out To The Highway
14. Cathedral Spires
15. One Shot At Glory
16. Dissident Aggressor
17. Rapid Fire
18. Metal Gods
19. Judas Rising
20. Prophecy
21. Jugulator
22. Subterfuge
23. Out In The Cold
24. Run Of The Mill

Those are some crazy results.  Exciter and Jawbreaker over the Sentinel and BTROD??!  Might be time for a new one.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1858 on: June 07, 2021, 02:00:10 PM »
Jawbreaker at number 5?!  :eek
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1859 on: June 07, 2021, 02:08:20 PM »
I'm more baffled at Subterfuge being at number 22.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1860 on: June 07, 2021, 02:39:25 PM »
One song from their most popular album?  It's the best song, but still... no Devil's Child?  No Screaming...?   

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1861 on: June 07, 2021, 03:51:42 PM »
I'm more baffled at Subterfuge being at number 22.

Ha!  Missed that one.   :metal

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1862 on: June 08, 2021, 12:06:40 AM »
I've saved the results for each album if anyone's interested in a particular album or such.

Interesting to note is that Screaming For Vengeance got the last place on that album :P

Online Mladen

« Reply #1863 on: June 08, 2021, 12:47:58 AM »
I think I took place in that survivor, but man, that was ten years ago. It would be awesome to have another Judas Priest survivor.  :metal

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1864 on: June 08, 2021, 03:53:32 AM »
One song from their most popular album?  It's the best song, but still... no Devil's Child?  No Screaming...?

Probably each album had only 2 songs in the finals regardless of popularity...
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1865 on: June 08, 2021, 04:51:28 AM »
Looks like the winner of each album went to the finals. If there was a tie, then both songs went to the finals (for instance Freewheel Burning/Jawbreaker, and Ram It Down/Blood Red Skies).

The runner-ups battled it out in a separate heat. Out of those 14 songs, 5 went to the finals (Sinner, Exciter, Rapid Fire, The Sentinel, and One Shot At Glory).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1866 on: June 08, 2021, 05:40:07 AM »
Yeah, because every album pretty much has to get representation in the final 25 or whatever, those survivors are never a true indication of what songs are the most liked and whatnot.  Sure, the most popular albums get an extra song or two (or however that works), and it's a fun exercise, but I'd take the results with a tinny tiny grain of salt.

Offline emtee

« Reply #1867 on: June 08, 2021, 06:11:38 AM »
Seriously loving Firepower. No weak tracks and stellar production put this album way up to the top of their discography. It's that good IMO.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1868 on: June 08, 2021, 07:36:49 AM »
Yeah, because every album pretty much has to get representation in the final 25 or whatever, those survivors are never a true indication of what songs are the most liked and whatnot.  Sure, the most popular albums get an extra song or two (or however that works), and it's a fun exercise, but I'd take the results with a tinny tiny grain of salt.

Yeah, the survivor system is pretty flawed that way. I wonder if the "league" system is better, the way that Destiny of Chaos is doing the DT League.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1869 on: June 08, 2021, 07:45:43 AM »

Yeah, the survivor system is pretty flawed that way. I wonder if the "league" system is better, the way that Destiny of Chaos is doing the DT League.

The League is definitively better, but even a survivor classic style can work; however the best albums should have more songs, there should be an albums survivor first where the most voted albums get most songs in the final.

Let's take Maiden for example, Seventh Son has 8 songs and so does Virtual XI; that both albums send the same number of songs to the finals is unbalanced.

Online Mladen

« Reply #1870 on: June 08, 2021, 07:56:38 AM »
The point of a survivor was never to be an accurate representation of what the band's best songs are, it's just a game. However, I do feel that the top ten songs on a list can be fairly accurate, especially with bands that have a more consistent discography. The songs from number 20 downwards are usually the best tracks from weaker albums.  ;D

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1871 on: June 08, 2021, 10:25:53 AM »
Looks like the winner of each album went to the finals. If there was a tie, then both songs went to the finals (for instance Freewheel Burning/Jawbreaker, and Ram It Down/Blood Red Skies).

The runner-ups battled it out in a separate heat. Out of those 14 songs, 5 went to the finals (Sinner, Exciter, Rapid Fire, The Sentinel, and One Shot At Glory).

Well...that helps explain why there's a song from Nostradamus in the top 25.   :lol

I'd be totally down for a survivor or a league.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1872 on: June 08, 2021, 10:30:32 AM »

Well...that helps explain why there's a song from Nostradamus in the top 25.   :lol

I'd be totally down for a survivor or a league.

I would too, but I would not want to "guarantee" any album at least one spot.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1873 on: June 09, 2021, 08:35:30 PM »
So I've been thinking about this and I saw this story so I'm now motivated to post..

https://bravewords.com/news/tim-ripper-owens-on-upcoming-debut-album-from-kk-s-priest-it-has-the-aggression-right-out-of-the-gate-but-it-also-has-the-classic-k-k-feel-as-well-audio

I know people have to make a living and all that. Heck there's like 3 Ratts and and 2 Great Whites (um..ONE was ONE too many)..And now we have Scottryche..

Anyway, Ripper says we have a "classic KK feel"? WTF is the classic KK feel. And calling it KK's Priest makes me lose all interest in this, honestly. That's fucking cheesy.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1874 on: June 09, 2021, 10:05:31 PM »
There is no fucking thing as classic KK feel.  Priest since Sad Wings has been Glenn and Rob mainly I firmly believe. 

I got offended when KK said he left as live performances weren't up to scratch in Priest.  Glenn had early onset Parkinson's and still ripped out more technical solos than you could comprehend mate.  Put your whammy bar down and tackle the Painkiller solo live.  KK was never note for live anyway so not sure where he got off saying that.

And yes, the KK's Priest band name is horrid, absolutely pathetic.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1875 on: June 10, 2021, 10:07:02 AM »
So I've been thinking about this and I saw this story so I'm now motivated to post..

https://bravewords.com/news/tim-ripper-owens-on-upcoming-debut-album-from-kk-s-priest-it-has-the-aggression-right-out-of-the-gate-but-it-also-has-the-classic-k-k-feel-as-well-audio

I know people have to make a living and all that. Heck there's like 3 Ratts and and 2 Great Whites (um..ONE was ONE too many)..And now we have Scottryche..

Anyway, Ripper says we have a "classic KK feel"? WTF is the classic KK feel. And calling it KK's Priest makes me lose all interest in this, honestly. That's fucking cheesy.

I agree and I loved KK but cmon KK this is just lame... He retired and should ahve just stayed retired  no way is Richie leaving JP nor should he   maybe Richie could be Glen live and KK could take over for Richie  but even thats a real stretch
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1876 on: June 10, 2021, 02:54:01 PM »

I agree and I loved KK but cmon KK this is just lame... He retired and should ahve just stayed retired  no way is Richie leaving JP nor should he   maybe Richie could be Glen live and KK could take over for Richie  but even thats a real stretch

There were some rumblings to that effect when Glenn made his announcement.  Not from the band, but from fans hoping... (I wasn't one of them).

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1877 on: June 10, 2021, 03:17:13 PM »
Anyway, Priest probably is the best example of how those "this is the last lineup" things are just said when all is good and well, and when faced with the reality of a change, for musicians is hard to accept it's over.

Also I'm sure Glenn didn't want to go down in history as the guy who broke Priest up - hardly anyone would fault him for getting the disease, but still, I'm sure he's the first that doesn't want history books to read "Judas Priest retired after Glenn Tipton couldn't play any longer because of Parkinsons' disease". The life of a musician is all they know, and I'm sure there's many bands out there who will go on until they drop and will replace band members when needed.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1878 on: June 11, 2021, 07:36:40 AM »

There were some rumblings to that effect when Glenn made his announcement.  Not from the band, but from fans hoping... (I wasn't one of them).

yep  I remember that bro... It sorta made some sense
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1879 on: June 13, 2021, 03:53:03 AM »
Been trying to come up with a top 10 or 15 Tipton solos.  It's pretty clear cut I guess, but how to rank them is impossible.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #1880 on: June 13, 2021, 07:38:18 AM »

Whenever I see stuff like that this immediately comes to mind https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNWnX4a_fwc
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1881 on: June 13, 2021, 07:53:37 AM »
Update: I tried all three of these below.

Cathedral Spires

Feed on Me

Burn in Hell

Meh on all three. Sounded like generic metal tunes, with nothing special that made Priest great from the early days through Painkiller.  Call it a mental block, but I can't get past Ripper Owens, as he comes off like too much of a Rob Halford wannabe.  I never seem to like these singers who sound too similar to the guys they replaced (Priest, Styx, Queensryche, etc.).  I get why bands hire new guys who sound like the prior singers, but they come off too much like a poor man's version most of the time.  And a staple of classic Priest was always tasty metal solos that managed to wonderfully melodic and memorable as well, and I didn't hear any of that in these songs. Feed on Me almost felt like it was going that way for a few seconds there in the middle, but then they slowed it down and had some weird transition back to the vocals.  Bummer.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1882 on: June 13, 2021, 06:20:36 PM »

Cathedral Spires

Feed on Me

Burn in Hell

Meh on all three. Sounded like generic metal tunes, with nothing special that made Priest great from the early days through Painkiller.  Call it a mental block, but I can't get past Ripper Owens, as he comes off like too much of a Rob Halford wannabe.  I never seem to like these singers who sound too similar to the guys they replaced (Priest, Styx, Queensryche, etc.).  I get why bands hire new guys who sound like the prior singers, but they come off too much like a poor man's version most of the time.  And a staple of classic Priest was always tasty metal solos that managed to wonderfully melodic and memorable as well, and I didn't hear any of that in these songs. Feed on Me almost felt like it was going that way for a few seconds there in the middle, but then they slowed it down and had some weird transition back to the vocals.  Bummer.

Yeah I knew you’d be unimpressed. Generic as all hell. Could have been released by countless nameless metal bands.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1883 on: June 14, 2021, 08:10:02 AM »

Cathedral Spires

Feed on Me

Burn in Hell

I understand that.  That's how I feel.  I seem to spend more time picking apart where they do and don't sound alike that it overwhelms the music.  "Hey, that little scream doesn't sound like Rob!" or "that legato part sounds just like Rob!"  It's distracting to me.  At least with Blaze, while I sometimes thought "It would be cool to hear Bruce sing that!" it was never really distracting.   

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1884 on: June 14, 2021, 07:15:58 PM »
I think if it was really good, I wouldn't care nearly as much, but since it's not, it makes it a little easier to pick nits, ya know?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1885 on: June 15, 2021, 09:21:50 AM »
I think if it was really good, I wouldn't care nearly as much, but since it's not, it makes it a little easier to pick nits, ya know?

Well, that's just it.  For me, replacing these legends is more often than not lacking, so there's nothing left but to pick nits. 

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1886 on: June 15, 2021, 11:22:15 AM »

Well, that's just it.  For me, replacing these legends is more often than not lacking, so there's nothing left but to pick nits.

agreed   I always want the original even if if they have lost a step,  and its always the singer under the microscope , Id always want to see Zep with Plant, or Aero with Steven or Judas with Rob and QR with Geoff etc   no matter if they cant do it like they once did   thats why we have recordings or vids of the old stuff if we want that again. 

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1887 on: June 15, 2021, 12:04:36 PM »
 All done with KK, and the interview came out great! I mentioned to him that his new album is a call back to the 'Heavy Metal Parking Lot" days, and he loved to hear that.

one thing he told me about the Ripper years, which you guys are discussing right now: "the issue wasn't that Ripper was there, but the fact that Rob WASN'T".

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1888 on: June 15, 2021, 12:08:56 PM »
All done with KK, and the interview came out great! I mentioned to him that his new album is a call back to the 'Heavy Metal Parking Lot" days, and he loved to hear that.

one thing he told me about the Ripper years, which you guys are discussing right now: "the issue wasn't that Ripper was there, but the fact that Rob WASN'T".

Thats great Rod    Ill look forward to the whole interview bro

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1889 on: June 15, 2021, 12:30:32 PM »

That's a great way to put it!