Author Topic: THE Judas Priest thread - v. new album and tour in 2024  (Read 220219 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: THE Judas Priest thread - gearing up for an active 2021!
« Reply #1820 on: June 04, 2021, 01:34:26 PM »
Does anyone know why they switched from Binks to Holland back in the day?

According to an interview he did back in 2017, he was sort of a hired gun for the time he was in the band.  He was paid session fees for doing the recordings, and he was surprised that the show in Tokyo was being recorded for Unleashed in the East.  This eventually caused a rift between Binks and the bands then-manager Mike Dolan.  Eventually, Dolan asked Binks to waive his fee in connection with Unleashed and things spiraled, and that's why he left.

The discussion of Unleashed and Binks leaving the band is about halfway down the page:  https://web.archive.org/web/20171201051931/http://kkdowning.net/steelmill/Interviews/beyond-realms-les-binks/
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1821 on: June 04, 2021, 02:17:06 PM »
Cool, just read it. Thank you for that!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1822 on: June 04, 2021, 03:16:26 PM »
Cool, just read it. Thank you for that!

It was new info for me also.  Of course, it's only coming from Binks, so I wonder if the rest of the band would agree.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1823 on: June 04, 2021, 03:20:27 PM »
The band always maintained that they wanted somebody more straight-ahead and not as complex as Binks. An idiotic thing, if you ask me, but they certainly got what they were looking for in Holland. Dude's about as unflashy as they come. Personally, I'm a bigtime Binks fan.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1824 on: June 04, 2021, 04:01:18 PM »
I have a chat with KK booked for next Tuesday, and heard 5 songs off his new album. Questions for him?
What happened with Les Binks? He's out of KK's Priest?

Supposedly an injury. Wrist I think.

I've read that somewhere, but apparently KK count on him for a future tour. I think it's still a valid question for KK to clarify the situation. Anyway, thanks for the info. :tup
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1825 on: June 04, 2021, 04:04:08 PM »
The band always maintained that they wanted somebody more straight-ahead and not as complex as Binks. An idiotic thing, if you ask me, but they certainly got what they were looking for in Holland. Dude's about as unflashy as they come. Personally, I'm a bigtime Binks fan.
I really like his drumming on Judas too. The Sad Wings... songs on Unleashed... are much better because of him IMO.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1826 on: June 04, 2021, 08:08:44 PM »

100% accurate.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1827 on: June 06, 2021, 04:09:06 PM »
I'm running through Demolition today in the car.  it's not that bad for what it is.  If you can get pas the horrible lyrics in Machine Men there's some cool stuff on here;

MM - Pretty ripping but the lyrics are horseshit.
One on One - Groovy.  A bit long and probably overstays its welcome but it's catchy.
Hell is Home - Good one.  Slow and doomy with some nice melodies IMO.
Jekyll and Hyde - Not bad, was never a fav on release but didn't mind it here
Close to You - Great ballad and amazing Tipton solo.  The best solo on both this album and Jugulator IMO, classic stuff.
Devil Digger - The plodding nature starts to get a bit old but this is okay.
Bloodsuckers - A bit better with a generic but very likeable riff.  Crap lyrics but some old school feels here.
In Between - Probably a low point.  Too ploddy after what we've heard but quite dark and somewhat interesting.
Feed On Me - This is better.  A live staple for the tour and you can see why.  Decent metal
Subterfuge - One of my favs.  Simple riffing but I love the chorus, great underrated cut.
Lost and Found - Nah, the other ballad destroys it.
Cyberface - Thank fuck this is the only song Scott Travis tried to write, holy hell!
Metal Messiah - Another highlight.  Pretty unconventional and different but great chorus, love this one.

Quoting you above me as I have not read your notes. I didn't want to read them before I listened. We usually hear things pretty similarly so I want to compare after I post.

Suffice to say, I really liked this. I have some thoughts regarding something J-Dude said comparing these to the two Blaze albums.

Anyway.

Demolition

To me, the only drawback from this album are some of the effects, which I found quite distracting. A number of times, the solo started and I don't know what they were running it through, but it sure as hell wasn't a Marshall. The songs, as written, were generally excellent, with really only the production fucking with it. Ripper is amazing on this album.

Machine Man-I can totally hear John Bush singing this. Reminds me a bit of WCFYA Era Anthrax, which is easily by far my least favorite Anthrax album. Heavy tune. Is that a bebot solo?

One On One-I like the beginning driving rhythm. Not crazy about the tuning or the effects though. This song has some potential though. Ripper turns into Alice Cooper at 3:33. I like the solo section right after that especially the second one.

Hell Is Home-This song isn't bad at all. I'm not usually a mid tempo guy, but this keeps a good pace. Kind of a Black Sabbath/Alice In Chains mashup.

The best thing about Jeckyl And Hyde is that it's short. That part at 1:19-1:41 is awesome. I would've loved to have them extend that than go to another bebot solo.

There's something just off with Close To You. I don't love it, but I don't hate it either. That solo at 2:04 is great! Best 35 seconds of the album.

Devil Digger? Is that the actual name of the song? It sounds like a gardening tool. That's a heavy as shit riff throughout, but I'll pass.

I don't think the intro to Bloodsuckers is necessary.  I would've been fine with that riff simply beginning the songs. This song kicks ass.   The "BLOOD SUCKERS" in the chorus is a bit goofy. I like the bridge at 3:20, and the guitar underneath it. Yeah, this song rips.

I think In Between is also a cool underrated track. I love the "I am my alter ego" part in the middle of the song. 

Wow, Feed On Me has a total Dio/Dehumanizer feel. Very cool. This song is a headbanger. What a wicked groove. A bit of Accept here too. The outro solo section in the last minute is nice.

They could've left Subterfuge off. WTF is this? The effects starting at 2:43 remind me of either Boobah or the Teletubbies.

Lost And Found is awesome. This is a nice change of pace. Classy tune. Ripper is great on the I "I stumbled through a barren land" line. So on point. 3:15...what a gorgeous solo. Great tune!

Cyberface- Wait..Cyberface?? WTF?? Another track with a useless intro. Sounds like latter day Dio, which really isn't a compliment. The prechorus is fucking badass though, but the chorus fucking blows.

Metal Mesiah has a Bush Era Anthrax verse, but that chorus..my word, is amazing and classic Priest.
The solo section is awesome. Sick rhythm underneath. Not sure that outro was needed, but ok..
I liked this track a lot.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1828 on: June 06, 2021, 04:10:55 PM »
I think the only ones we disagree on are Lost And Found and Subterfuge..

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1829 on: June 06, 2021, 06:53:10 PM »
I think the only ones we disagree on are Lost And Found and Subterfuge..

Thought the same thing.  I didn't really put much thought into my comments but reading yours I do feel what you are saying with most.  I relistened to Lost and Found and I was harsh on it.  I like the little solo there too, great touch.  Yeah, I always liked Subterfuge but can see why others wouldn't.  LOL @ the Teletubbies reference.

Surprised you really like this also, good shit Tim.  Bebot solo?  That made me laugh but I always thought too there were too many effects running through this album.  I can see what they were going for but it is a bit overkill and makes things sound more processed than they need to be.

:lol @ Devil Digger being a gardening tool.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1830 on: June 06, 2021, 07:10:37 PM »
I think it's interesting how (and I realize this is subjective) to my ears, Iron Maiden and Judas Priest pulled the same stunt.   Replaced an iconic lead singer, put out a first album with a new lead singer that is totally amazing and gets shafted by the fanbase at large because "No Rob/Bruce = No JP/IM" respectively.   Then release a 2nd album with new lead singer that completely blows chunks, thus facilitating the return of the original iconic lead singer.

True, but the bands made two completely different choices. Steve went with the anti Bruce whereas Glenn picked a copycat.

Agreed. But other than style of singer, there are many similarities in the pattern.

I'm going to call a timeout here J Dude! ;D

Here's what I would say after finally hearing Jugulator and Demolition.

I think if one wants to put Demolition or Virtual IX at the bottom of the Priest and Maiden rankings.. fine, but I strongly disagree that each album blows chunks.

Here's what I found interesting, and shows the exact opposite in the two bands' patterns.

With Blaze, TXF was far more experimental whereas VIX took a more safer approach.
With Ripper, I found Jugulator more safer, as it's really a reasonable extension of Painkiller, whereas Demolition was far more experimental.

I know Halford and Dickinson are iconic, and are really irreplaceable. These two bands are in an almost no win situation. But regardless of the replacement singers, both bands' instrumentalists remained constant, and all four albums have worth and interest and deserve respect.

While Jugulator is an extension of Painkiller, I actually found many tracks on Demolition to have more in common with the British Steel-Defenders Era. A number of the tracks had a straightforwardness to them. Sure they were blurred by some production effects, but boiling the songs down to their basics, I find a real classic Judas Priest album in Demolition.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1831 on: June 06, 2021, 07:15:29 PM »
I think it's interesting how (and I realize this is subjective) to my ears, Iron Maiden and Judas Priest pulled the same stunt.   Replaced an iconic lead singer, put out a first album with a new lead singer that is totally amazing and gets shafted by the fanbase at large because "No Rob/Bruce = No JP/IM" respectively.   Then release a 2nd album with new lead singer that completely blows chunks, thus facilitating the return of the original iconic lead singer.

True, but the bands made two completely different choices. Steve went with the anti Bruce whereas Glenn picked a copycat.

Agreed. But other than style of singer, there are many similarities in the pattern.

I'm going to call a timeout here J Dude! ;D

Here's what I would say after finally hearing Jugulator and Demolition.

I think if one wants to put Demolition or Virtual IX at the bottom of the Priest and Maiden rankings.. fine, but I strongly disagree that each album blows chunks.

Here's what I found interesting, and shows the exact opposite in the two bands' patterns.

With Blaze, TXF was far more experimental whereas VIX took a more safer approach.
With Ripper, I found Jugulator more safer, as it's really a reasonable extension of Painkiller, whereas Demolition was far more experimental.

I know Halford and Dickinson are iconic, and are really irreplaceable. These two bands are in an almost no win situation. But regardless of the replacement singers, both bands' instrumentalists remained constant, and all four albums have worth and interest and deserve respect.

While Jugulator is an extension of Painkiller, I actually found many tracks on Demolition to have more in common with the British Steel-Defenders Era. A number of the tracks had a straightforwardness to them. Sure they were blurred by some production effects, but boiling the songs down to their basics, I find a real classic Judas Priest album in Demolition.

On a whole, I'd agree with most of this.  I really loved Demolition when it came out.  Seeing them live on that tour and the Live in London DVD was on high rotation.  That's a great DVD Tim if you can check it.  Not sure if it's on Youtube but a fun show.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1832 on: June 06, 2021, 07:23:23 PM »
I'll look for it!

What I find really interesting is that both Judas Priest (with Jugulator) and Rob Halford (with Fight) went totally heavy AF after their split.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1833 on: June 06, 2021, 07:32:42 PM »
I'll look for it!

What I find really interesting is that both Judas Priest (with Jugulator) and Rob Halford (with Fight) went totally heavy AF after their split.

Painkiller must have really struck a sweet spot with both of them.  That's a good thing.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1834 on: June 06, 2021, 07:42:53 PM »
To be fair, I haven’t heard Demolition since the day it came out. But when I played it, the effects just seemed like such a radical departure at the time that I just thought they had gone off the rails. But I don’t remember enough to say anything more, so I’d have to hear it again.

Didn’t it have an almost industrial vibe in spots? I remember that sound had been big in the 90s and Rob kinda went that route for his solo project TWO which had come out just a few years earlier
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1835 on: June 06, 2021, 07:47:42 PM »
To be fair, I haven’t heard Demolition since the day it came out. But when I played it, the effects just seemed like such a radical departure at the time that I just thought they had gone off the rails. But I don’t remember enough to say anything more, so I’d have to hear it again.

Didn’t it have an almost industrial vibe in spots?

I've literally never heard a single track off of it before today. I think there's some production issues with it, like the effects and stuff. But at it's core, I found the tracks pretty straightforward.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: THE Judas Priest thread - v. Discography listening party!!
« Reply #1836 on: June 06, 2021, 07:49:19 PM »
Thread title updated to reflect the current state.  :tup :tup

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1837 on: June 06, 2021, 07:52:07 PM »
Thread title updated to reflect the current state.  :tup :tup

Good! Why don't you join the thread you started? I think it's time for you to catch up and post!

What are YOUR thoughts on the Ripper Era?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1838 on: June 06, 2021, 07:58:20 PM »
I haven't been in a mood for Priest lately, so I don't really have any new thoughts to contribute, unfortunately.

Never cared for the Ripper era.  Painkiller is generally my cutoff point for interest in this band, although I did like a few songs from Angel of Retribution.  Seemed like there were a few good ones on Firepower, but they had zero staying power with me.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1839 on: June 06, 2021, 08:05:22 PM »
OK, so we are at the Ripper Era right now. If you never made it past the Painkiller era , like me, then it's time for you to join the listening party. That's the whole point of this.

"I didn't care for the Ripper Era" is not a discussion point.

You have a few days, and then we'll be on to Angel Of Retribution by the middle of the week.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1840 on: June 06, 2021, 08:06:56 PM »
No, no, let me clarify.  I have heard all of their material.  I just don't find much past Painkiller interesting or good enough to revisit with any regularity.  I listened to the Ripper stuff years ago and it was all okay, but was material I never need or want to hear again.  Sorry, not doing it, especially since Ayreon is my focus now for the next two weeks.  :biggrin:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1841 on: June 06, 2021, 08:08:22 PM »
Apparently the Taylor Swift thread is too important.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1842 on: June 06, 2021, 08:09:59 PM »
Damn right. :P

Sorry, I will not be bullied* into listening to the Priest material featuring a poor man's Rob Halford. ;)

*this is meant in jest

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1843 on: June 06, 2021, 08:13:19 PM »
That's OK. Nothing to be ashamed of. Tough to compete with a mousekateer.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1844 on: June 06, 2021, 08:21:33 PM »
Let's go this route: gimme three songs from the Ripper era worth listening to again and I will give them a fresh try here in the next few days (assuming they are on YT).  Anyone who wants to make recs, throw them out there and I will listen to the ones that get mentioned the most.  Three songs only.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1845 on: June 06, 2021, 08:43:16 PM »
Apparently the Taylor Swift thread is too important.

:lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1846 on: June 06, 2021, 08:43:46 PM »
Let's go this route: gimme three songs from the Ripper era worth listening to again and I will give them a fresh try here in the next few days (assuming they are on YT).  Anyone who wants to make recs, throw them out there and I will listen to the ones that get mentioned the most.  Three songs only.

I think we could all agree on Cathedral Spires as one.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1847 on: June 07, 2021, 01:01:25 AM »

Cathedral Spires, definitively

Feed on Me

Burn in Hell
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1848 on: June 07, 2021, 01:11:20 AM »
I can get on board with Feed on Me.

I'd go Jugulator too personally but might not be the best pick.

Online Mladen

« Reply #1849 on: June 07, 2021, 05:00:44 AM »
Burn in hell and Cathedral spires are good choices. The title track to Jugulator is also damn fine.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1850 on: June 07, 2021, 05:22:20 AM »

That’s the spirit!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1851 on: June 07, 2021, 06:18:02 AM »
Cool, I will check those out again and report back this week.  :coolio

That’s the spirit!!

It's the only way to shut you up. ;)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1852 on: June 07, 2021, 09:01:19 AM »
I really like his drumming on Judas too. The Sad Wings... songs on Unleashed... are much better because of him IMO.

I agree with that, 100%, but having said that, Dave Holland is my favorite Priest drummer.  I love that fill he did a lot that sounded like a machine gun (it's at about 3:00 of Heading Out To The Highway; there's one similar at 1:40).

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1853 on: June 07, 2021, 09:10:41 AM »
Cool, I will check those out again and report back this week.  :coolio

That’s the spirit!!

It's the only way to shut you up. ;)

Unfortunately there’s nothing like what we love from the 70s with both great melody and songwriting in addition to the heaviness.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1854 on: June 07, 2021, 09:54:31 AM »
KK had a death in the family, so tomorrow's interview will have to be postponed... :(