Author Topic: THE Judas Priest thread - v. new album and tour in 2024  (Read 219977 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: THE Judas Priest thread - gearing up for an active 2021!
« Reply #1785 on: May 31, 2021, 08:13:27 PM »
Halfway through Live Meltdown and it's pretty damn good.  I know all the Jugulator material is detuned as I mentioned but it feels strange listening to all the classics live tuned down a whole step I think it is.  I mean, Ripper could sing, why sing the classics in lower tuning also.  I find that strange.  Listening though, I think Unleashed beats it, but we'll see how the 2nd cd goes.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1786 on: May 31, 2021, 08:24:47 PM »
Interesting. I'm listening to Electric Eye, and yeah, it's tuned lower. In fact it destroys the energy.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1787 on: May 31, 2021, 08:28:08 PM »
Interesting. I'm listening to Electric Eye, and yeah, it's tuned lower. In fact it destroys the energy.

From the get go, they played all their stuff live in D, one whole step down from the normal E.  I never had an issue with it before but it's only now I'm questioning why.  I even think they play Blood Stained and Burn in Hell in the key of D when the originals were in C# and Eb.  I'd have to check at home though.  Surely it just wasn't a laziness thing to play everything in the one key.  Not sure why I've never given this any thinking before.  Especially Live in London as I played the shit out of that DVD.  Listening now, it does kill the energy of a lot of the songs.  Some songs work well but others don't.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1788 on: June 01, 2021, 05:07:24 AM »
One song that really works well here in a lower tuning is BTROD.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1789 on: June 01, 2021, 09:32:13 AM »
I sort of stopped being interested in Judas Priest around the time of Turbo.  I had been a fan since the release of Sad Wings of Destiny.  IIRC the first Judas Priest album I ever got was Unleashed In The East on vinyl.  I then immediately went and got the first two albums.  I was hooked!  Loved everything they released after that up to Turbo, which I despised.  I still have never made it all the way through that record.  I'm positive there are songs on it I've never heard.  Everything they've released after that did very little to nothing for me.  I don't care for Painkiller at all.  And it just went downhill from there.  Yesterday at the gym I decided to give Redeemer of Souls another try and found myself liking quite a bit of it. I may go back and revisit some of those albums I missed.  But I have to say that Firepower is the best record they've released in probably 25 years.

sometimes I think KirksNoseHair is the hair inside my nose  its so spot on and so me...
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1790 on: June 01, 2021, 11:10:06 AM »
And yes...I would rather listen to Live Meltdown than Unleashed.

Flame suit on...

EDIT- in fact, what say you guys?

Unleashed vs Live Meltdown

The only catch is, you have to check your nostalgia at the door before voting. Honest question: Do you really think you can do that?  ;)

Sorry, I tried yesterday, but no my friend. I don’t like Jugulator, and the guitars sound much better on UITE. And there’s no following Halford in his prime. No contest for me.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1791 on: June 01, 2021, 12:43:49 PM »
I sort of stopped being interested in Judas Priest around the time of Turbo.  I had been a fan since the release of Sad Wings of Destiny.  IIRC the first Judas Priest album I ever got was Unleashed In The East on vinyl.  I then immediately went and got the first two albums.  I was hooked!  Loved everything they released after that up to Turbo, which I despised.  I still have never made it all the way through that record.  I'm positive there are songs on it I've never heard.  Everything they've released after that did very little to nothing for me.  I don't care for Painkiller at all.  And it just went downhill from there.  Yesterday at the gym I decided to give Redeemer of Souls another try and found myself liking quite a bit of it. I may go back and revisit some of those albums I missed.  But I have to say that Firepower is the best record they've released in probably 25 years.

sometimes I think KirksNoseHair is the hair inside my nose  its so spot on and so me...

So I guess that makes him an Epicnosehair.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1792 on: June 01, 2021, 12:56:38 PM »
Jugulator.

I can't read that without at least giggling, and usually laughing out loud.  "Jugulator".   It's like Spinal Tap without the humor.  No thanks.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1793 on: June 01, 2021, 01:07:07 PM »
Jugulator.

I can't read that without at least giggling, and usually laughing out loud.  "Jugulator".   It's like Spinal Tap without the humor.  No thanks.

It's actually a good album. Metal as hell. Not sure it's you're kind of album. It's closer to Megadeth than actual Judas Priest, but it will melt your ears off. It biggest problem it has is the dumb AF lyrics.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #1794 on: June 01, 2021, 01:08:44 PM »
Halfway through Live Meltdown and it's pretty damn good. I know all the Jugulator material is detuned as I mentioned but it feels strange listening to all the classics live tuned down a whole step I think it is.  I mean, Ripper could sing, why sing the classics in lower tuning also.  I find that strange.  Listening though, I think Unleashed beats it, but we'll see how the 2nd cd goes.

Maybe to avoid having to switch instruments during the show?

I have never heard a single note of Jugulator or Demolition heh.  I just heard Painkiller for the first time a few days ago. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1795 on: June 01, 2021, 01:09:31 PM »
Painkiller is amazing.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #1796 on: June 01, 2021, 01:20:16 PM »
I liked it.  I need to give it a few more spins but it will definitely stay in rotation for a bit.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1797 on: June 01, 2021, 07:46:26 PM »
Halfway through Live Meltdown and it's pretty damn good. I know all the Jugulator material is detuned as I mentioned but it feels strange listening to all the classics live tuned down a whole step I think it is.  I mean, Ripper could sing, why sing the classics in lower tuning also.  I find that strange.  Listening though, I think Unleashed beats it, but we'll see how the 2nd cd goes.

Maybe to avoid having to switch instruments during the show?

I have never heard a single note of Jugulator or Demolition heh.  I just heard Painkiller for the first time a few days ago.

That was my thinking but that seems super lazy.

And yes, Painkiller is legendary.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1798 on: June 01, 2021, 08:16:08 PM »
But think about how many key changes you’re talking about just in the songs that you mentioned. Handing off a guitar once or twice a show is not that big of a deal, but as a performer it starts to get really old if you’re trading off guitars five and six times a show. Just to keep the flow going you’re probably going to do SOMETHING to minimize that. And if you, as the performer, think that the songs sound just fine in a different key then you’re probably not going to think twice about. Your energy is going into the performance and making sure that the execution is tight. A key change to keep from running side stage all the time is way down the list of importance.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1799 on: June 01, 2021, 08:38:45 PM »
But think about how many key changes you’re talking about just in the songs that you mentioned. Handing off a guitar once or twice a show is not that big of a deal, but as a performer it starts to get really old if you’re trading off guitars five and six times a show. Just to keep the flow going you’re probably going to do SOMETHING to minimize that. And if you, as the performer, think that the songs sound just fine in a different key then you’re probably not going to think twice about. Your energy is going into the performance and making sure that the execution is tight. A key change to keep from running side stage all the time is way down the list of importance.

Just an observation I've never really thought about before, that's all.  But talking about switching guitars, besides the new songs from Jugulator, everything else here was recorded in standard tuning.  So they would only need to switch instruments for 4 songs on the Meltdown set.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1800 on: June 02, 2021, 10:43:33 AM »
I spun Killing Machine/Hell Bent for Leather yesterday.  It's a damn good album, and I might actually prefer it to British Steel.

I'm not going to go track-by-track, but the only weak links are Rock Forever and Evil Fantasies.  I'm not a huge fan of Killing Machine, but the other title track kicks all sorts of ass (and I wish it were longer).  I can still remember hearing HBFL for the first time and being blown away (that whole May 1984 Priest show blew me away, and I really need to buy the anniversary edition of Defenders since it includes that show).  Before the Dawn is a real wild card here.  Really nice song, and I don't think they've done anything like it since then.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1801 on: June 02, 2021, 11:27:44 AM »
I spun Killing Machine/Hell Bent for Leather yesterday.  It's a damn good album, and I might actually prefer it to British Steel.

I'm not going to go track-by-track, but the only weak links are Rock Forever and Evil Fantasies.  I'm not a huge fan of Killing Machine, but the other title track kicks all sorts of ass (and I wish it were longer).  I can still remember hearing HBFL for the first time and being blown away (that whole May 1984 Priest show blew me away, and I really need to buy the anniversary edition of Defenders since it includes that show).  Before the Dawn is a real wild card here.  Really nice song, and I don't think they've done anything like it since then.

its a very good album for sure   it was my first tour seeing JP so I have a real soft spot for it
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1802 on: June 02, 2021, 04:10:10 PM »

Yeah, I'd take it over BS too.

Offline emtee

« Reply #1803 on: June 02, 2021, 04:15:59 PM »
Received the Firepower CD today. I purchased from Amazon and got the digital download days ago. Also signed up for Prime and have been enjoying the music aspect of it. Specifically running through the discography.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1804 on: June 02, 2021, 05:04:53 PM »
By the way, am I the only one who finds it REALLY odd that the change of the album's title in the U.S. was motivated by a school shooting that took place in San Diego nearly four months after the initial release of the album?  I don't know anything more about that incident than what's in the Wiki article, but that seems so attenuated.  Rob didn't have a connection with San Diego at that time, and it's not like the shooter called herself "the killing machine" or said she was motivated by the album or anything like that.  Hell...the Boomtown Rats even wrote and released a song called "I Don't Like Mondays" based on something the shooter said to a negotiator.  So is this really why the album name was changed?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1805 on: June 02, 2021, 05:54:03 PM »
By the way, am I the only one who finds it REALLY odd that the change of the album's title in the U.S. was motivated by a school shooting that took place in San Diego nearly four months after the initial release of the album?  I don't know anything more about that incident than what's in the Wiki article, but that seems so attenuated.  Rob didn't have a connection with San Diego at that time, and it's not like the shooter called herself "the killing machine" or said she was motivated by the album or anything like that.  Hell...the Boomtown Rats even wrote and released a song called "I Don't Like Mondays" based on something the shooter said to a negotiator.  So is this really why the album name was changed?

I heard they were gonna call it Smell the Glove   but Tap had already used it   :  )

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1806 on: June 03, 2021, 12:48:42 AM »

I never bothered to find out, but I always was curious.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1807 on: June 03, 2021, 12:55:16 AM »
I'm running through Demolition today in the car.  it's not that bad for what it is.  If you can get pas the horrible lyrics in Machine Men there's some cool stuff on here;

MM - Pretty ripping but the lyrics are horseshit.
One on One - Groovy.  A bit long and probably overstays its welcome but it's catchy.
Hell is Home - Good one.  Slow and doomy with some nice melodies IMO.
Jekyll and Hyde - Not bad, was never a fav on release but didn't mind it here
Close to You - Great ballad and amazing Tipton solo.  The best solo on both this album and Jugulator IMO, classic stuff.
Devil Digger - The plodding nature starts to get a bit old but this is okay.
Bloodsuckers - A bit better with a generic but very likeable riff.  Crap lyrics but some old school feels here.
In Between - Probably a low point.  Too ploddy after what we've heard but quite dark and somewhat interesting.
Feed On Me - This is better.  A live staple for the tour and you can see why.  Decent metal
Subterfuge - One of my favs.  Simple riffing but I love the chorus, great underrated cut.
Lost and Found - Nah, the other ballad destroys it.
Cyberface - Thank fuck this is the only song Scott Travis tried to write, holy hell!
Metal Messiah - Another highlight.  Pretty unconventional and different but great chorus, love this one.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1808 on: June 03, 2021, 01:16:33 AM »
Metal Messiah has the best chorus of the entire Ripper era, too bad they "wasted" it on a "rap" song but the chorus alone saves the song.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1809 on: June 03, 2021, 09:01:25 AM »
I'm way behind . . .

ROCKA ROLLA - fun little debut. Heavy blues. Run of the Mill by far the standout track, kind of a precursor to Dreamer Deceiver. Halford giving a few hints of what was to come, but holding back. As with some of these other 70s albums, probably would have benefitted from heavier production.

SAD WINGS - wow what a step forward. Tyrant in 1976? That sucker is heavy, a completely modern metal song before its time. Victim and D/D big highlights but I enjoy all of the songs. Genocide benefits from the live versions for sure. Halford is now unrestrained, with legendary screams and high notes (and first death growl on record towards end of VoC) - he sets the bar here. None of my other favorite singers can match this. Songwriting magic on this album.

SIN AFTER SIN - the least of the S trilogy for me, but some great stuff. Let Us Prey another Priest song that is pushing the speed metal game forward. After I made a playlist awhile back, my wife really love 70s Priest and Last Rose of Summer and Here Come the Tears are some of her faves along with Victim, DD, etc. Sinner and DA awesome metal songs.

STAINED CLASS - my favorite. Doesn't have many catchy, poppy choruses which may be a drawback for some. BTROD in the running for greatest metal song. Exciter picks up where Let Us Prey left off, even faster. The only 2 lesser songs for me are Invader and Savage but I still like them quite a bit. Hero's End is not a letdown for me. This album is very heavy, lyrically and musically, which many people miss due to the production. Oh yeah and Les Binks is awesome.

KILLING MACHINE - here they have one foot on each side of the fence as they attempt to gain popularity. It's a mixed bag and I don't need 40% of the songs but the ones I do like are quite good. This may be the 2nd Priest album I owned after getting Defenders in 1984.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1810 on: June 04, 2021, 12:48:47 AM »
I'm spinning Tipton's Baptizm of Fire CD in the car right now.  This is an interesting album.  Of course, I really like it but that's me.  His vocals are very unique and definitely an aquired taste but I think there is a lot of great stuff on here.  If anyone checks it, make you check the one bonus track Himalaya, one of my favs if not my fav besides the amazing title track where Tipton goes almost Macalpine like but heavier.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1811 on: June 04, 2021, 06:52:12 AM »
I have a chat with KK booked for next Tuesday, and heard 5 songs off his new album. Questions for him?

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1812 on: June 04, 2021, 08:40:07 AM »
If I were interviewing KK, I would be afraid that every question could open a whole can of worms. How could a person have a chat with KK at this moment in time and avoid any sort of controversy?  :-\

Sorry for not being helpful, Rodrigo, I'm just musing loudly...

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1813 on: June 04, 2021, 08:50:16 AM »
If I were interviewing KK, I would be afraid that every question could open a whole can of worms. How could a person have a chat with KK at this moment in time and avoid any sort of controversy?  :-\

Sorry for not being helpful, Rodrigo, I'm just musing loudly...

I feel the same way. Next week I have this one and an interview with Malmsteen, so it's officially "Walking on eggshells with a guitar player" week!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1814 on: June 04, 2021, 08:52:54 AM »
Same as Mladen, the things I'd like to know would get you banned from the interview if asked  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1815 on: June 04, 2021, 08:58:36 AM »
I have a chat with KK booked for next Tuesday, and heard 5 songs off his new album. Questions for him?

Id ask KK how his golf game is,,,,  : )

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1816 on: June 04, 2021, 09:06:38 AM »
I’ve had to come up for air on my deep dive. Demolition is next. Gonna try and hit that over the weekend.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1817 on: June 04, 2021, 11:02:32 AM »
What happened with Les Binks? He's out of KK's Priest?
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1818 on: June 04, 2021, 12:33:04 PM »
What happened with Les Binks? He's out of KK's Priest?

Supposedly an injury. Wrist I think.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1819 on: June 04, 2021, 01:07:57 PM »
Does anyone know why they switched from Binks to Holland back in the day?