Author Topic: THE Judas Priest thread - v. new album and tour in 2024  (Read 220819 times)

Online pg1067

Re: THE Judas Priest thread - gearing up for an active 2021!
« Reply #1750 on: May 30, 2021, 03:30:57 PM »
Still reeling from the shock of learning there are JP fans that didn’t know the lyrics to Eat Me Alive.

Let's be honest, it's the worst song on an amazing album. I saw it played live and they played it only because it was a rarity and it was never played live, but lyrics aside, that's actually the last song I need to hear from Defenders.

Let's be honest:  it's better than at least four other songs on the album.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1751 on: May 30, 2021, 03:32:28 PM »
Kade, this one's for you!!

Going back to this.  My first concert when I was 17 was the Demolition tour.  It blew me away and probably is still the best concert I've been to.  Small arena, loud and heavy as fuck.  Such an experience as a first concert.

Now, I went with my guitar teacher but cause I was underage, we were split and under 18's were up on the balcony away from everyone else.  Great view truthfully and more comfortable.  There were maybe 25 of us young ones.  Anyway, point of the story, at the end Glenn was giving the crowd the metal horns while panning across.  I was giving it back to the band and as he panned to my side he looked up and honed directly at me and we were both locked in on each other with the devil horns.  It was funny he was panning but stopped on me for like a good 10 seconds.  Still gives me chills thinking about it, made a young kid a lifelong fan.  I wish I could tell him what that meant to me, like he knew I was a real Priest fan even at that young age, it was my coolest concert moment.

That's awesome. And it looks like he's smiling right at me knowing that I'd be showing you the photo. He's actually smiling at you Back To The Future style! :)
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #1752 on: May 30, 2021, 03:40:56 PM »
When I saw priest it was before I actually had a phone with a decent camera so I have no pictures from it but Glenn was still in good form. They slowed down some songs that I originally thought was for Rob's benefit but we all know now what he was playing through. I can see why they originally wanted to call it quits because Glenn seemed to have noticeably gone down hill after that tour. When I would watch youtube clips of the Redeemer tour it was clear something was wrong, before he went public with his illness I had actually thought he had suffered a mini stroke as he was not the same performer I had seen less than 3 years before.

That being said I hope he is well enough to contribute to the next album. If not Firepower would be a good note to retire on.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online pg1067

« Reply #1753 on: May 30, 2021, 03:41:44 PM »
I WAS around at that time, and honestly I thought all of that was a fucking joke even then.   I didn't pay any attention to any of it.  I didn't think "YAY! METAL!" when Dee Snider testified, I thought "why pander to this nonsense?"  When they called out "Darling Nikki" for the masturbation reference - something I had been doing at an Olympic level for a couple years at that point ;) - and when "Jazz From Hell" (AN INSTRUMENTAL RECORD) was included by others as a problem, I tuned the fuck out.   The "Dirty 15" meant nothing to me.

Same.  I knew what Tipper and her cronies were up to, but I actually didn't heard the term "filthy 15" or see the list until sometime in the last 15 years or so.

I honestly never understood the horror of putting warnings on albums. We rated movies already.

My impressions of Zappa and Snider were that Zappa came off as a self important blowhard, and Snider looked like a fucking clown.

Yeah...pretty much (but I was past thinking Twisted Sister was cool anyway, and I didn't really know anything about Zappa at that point in my life).  I think my friends and I had some mild concerns about age restrictions (as with R-rated movies), but we were all old enough that it wouldn't have mattered to us.  The warning stickers only made the material more desirable, so didn't at all have the desired effect.  As I mentioned previously, I took some heat from one of my sisters about Eat Me Alive, and my mother felt the need to remind me that Judas betrayed Jesus, but that was about it.  As a high school sophomore and junior, I was very concerned about defending metal against classmates who liked pop and new wave, but it had turned into good natured ribbing by the time I was a senior.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1754 on: May 30, 2021, 04:01:15 PM »
Kade, this one's for you!!

Going back to this.  My first concert when I was 17 was the Demolition tour.  It blew me away and probably is still the best concert I've been to.  Small arena, loud and heavy as fuck.  Such an experience as a first concert.

Now, I went with my guitar teacher but cause I was underage, we were split and under 18's were up on the balcony away from everyone else.  Great view truthfully and more comfortable.  There were maybe 25 of us young ones.  Anyway, point of the story, at the end Glenn was giving the crowd the metal horns while panning across.  I was giving it back to the band and as he panned to my side he looked up and honed directly at me and we were both locked in on each other with the devil horns.  It was funny he was panning but stopped on me for like a good 10 seconds.  Still gives me chills thinking about it, made a young kid a lifelong fan.  I wish I could tell him what that meant to me, like he knew I was a real Priest fan even at that young age, it was my coolest concert moment.

That's awesome. And it looks like he's smiling right at me knowing that I'd be showing you the photo. He's actually smiling at you Back To The Future style! :)

:metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1755 on: May 30, 2021, 04:02:26 PM »
When I saw priest it was before I actually had a phone with a decent camera so I have no pictures from it but Glenn was still in good form. They slowed down some songs that I originally thought was for Rob's benefit but we all know now what he was playing through. I can see why they originally wanted to call it quits because Glenn seemed to have noticeably gone down hill after that tour. When I would watch youtube clips of the Redeemer tour it was clear something was wrong, before he went public with his illness I had actually thought he had suffered a mini stroke as he was not the same performer I had seen less than 3 years before.

That being said I hope he is well enough to contribute to the next album. If not Firepower would be a good note to retire on.

I was impressed with his solo on Firepower.  It's so sad to see a genius slowly get robbed of his talent.  Hopefully we do get one more album with his playing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1756 on: May 30, 2021, 04:07:33 PM »
Kade, anytime you want to list a Top 10 Tipton solo list, I'd definitely follow up on it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1757 on: May 30, 2021, 05:22:17 PM »
Kade, anytime you want to list a Top 10 Tipton solo list, I'd definitely follow up on it.

Not a bad idea.  Leave it with me.  Wouldn't be hard to do but there would be a lot that would miss out.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1758 on: May 30, 2021, 06:46:35 PM »
Guys, Blood Red Skies or Cathedral Spires?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1759 on: May 30, 2021, 07:00:36 PM »
Cathedral Spires.  All day.  Every day.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1760 on: May 30, 2021, 07:03:41 PM »
Guys, Blood Red Skies or Cathedral Spires?

Cathedral Fucking Spires.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1761 on: May 30, 2021, 07:04:34 PM »
Running through Priest Live in the car today.  I know Tim hates it, but I like it.  Polished up or not, I think it's a nice set.  Some great energy here.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1762 on: May 30, 2021, 07:09:26 PM »
Running through Priest Live in the car today.  I know Tim hates it, but I like it.  Polished up or not, I think it's a nice set.  Some great energy here.

Here's a cool video from that tour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=savS655VeF0&t=3s

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1763 on: May 30, 2021, 07:10:39 PM »
Unpopular opinion, but you guys just reminded me how much I LOVE JUGULATOR!!!!!

I think it's interesting how (and I realize this is subjective) to my ears, Iron Maiden and Judas Priest pulled the same stunt.   Replaced an iconic lead singer, put out a first album with a new lead singer that is totally amazing and gets shafted by the fanbase at large because "No Rob/Bruce = No JP/IM" respectively.   Then release a 2nd album with new lead singer that completely blows chunks, thus facilitating the return of the original iconic lead singer.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1764 on: May 30, 2021, 07:14:10 PM »
I have a Jugulator writeup coming tomorrow afternoon.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1765 on: May 30, 2021, 07:15:01 PM »
Unpopular opinion, but you guys just reminded me how much I LOVE JUGULATOR!!!!!

I think it's interesting how (and I realize this is subjective) to my ears, Iron Maiden and Judas Priest pulled the same stunt.   Replaced an iconic lead singer, put out a first album with a new lead singer that is totally amazing and gets shafted by the fanbase at large because "No Rob/Bruce = No JP/IM" respectively.   Then release a 2nd album with new lead singer that completely blows chunks, thus facilitating the return of the original iconic lead singer.

Yep.  Probably the reason I class both as my fav albums from both bands.  Jugulator is incredible.  I know it cops a lot of shit, but it's a fucking ripper. (Pun intended)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1766 on: May 30, 2021, 07:41:45 PM »

True, but the bands made two completely different choices. Steve went with the anti Bruce whereas Glenn picked a copycat.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1767 on: May 30, 2021, 07:47:58 PM »

True, but the bands made two completely different choices. Steve went with the anti Bruce whereas Glenn picked a copycat.

Agreed. But other than style of singer, there are many similarities in the pattern.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1768 on: May 30, 2021, 07:50:00 PM »
I would also add that Tipton choosing to go with a copycat made for a much better success story. As much as I love Blaze, it became very apparent very quickly that he couldn’t handle doing the older material. Whereas Ripper hit the live shows out of the park. Live 98 meltdown might be Judas Priest’s best live album period.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1769 on: May 30, 2021, 07:51:00 PM »
Well, I wasn't disputing the pattern, I was merely pointing out the completely opposite approaches each band took to picking a new singer.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1770 on: May 30, 2021, 08:05:24 PM »
I would also add that Tipton choosing to go with a copycat made for a much better success story. As much as I love Blaze, it became very apparent very quickly that he couldn’t handle doing the older material. Whereas Ripper hit the live shows out of the park. Live 98 meltdown might be Judas Priest’s best live album period.

Seeing Tim live on the Demolition tour was incredible.  His vocals were out of this world back then.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1771 on: May 30, 2021, 08:07:16 PM »
Seeing Tim was incredible. 

Back atcha, brother! :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1772 on: May 30, 2021, 08:32:13 PM »
Seeing Tim was incredible. 

Back atcha, brother! :tup

Ha!  Yeah, I'll support that.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #1773 on: May 30, 2021, 10:33:04 PM »

I put the blaze thing all on the shoulders of Harris. There were a lot of songs that blaze I think would've nailed if they had toned down a bit. Getting someone with a much more limited range without helping him out just set him up for failure live.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1774 on: May 30, 2021, 11:10:53 PM »

I put the blaze thing all on the shoulders of Harris. There were a lot of songs that blaze I think would've nailed if they had toned down a bit. Getting someone with a much more limited range without helping him out just set him up for failure live.

Steve's stubbornness not to detune is to blame.  He was setting Blaze up for failure.  Wasn't wise.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1775 on: May 30, 2021, 11:53:49 PM »
And yes...I would rather listen to Live Meltdown than Unleashed.

Flame suit on...

EDIT- in fact, what say you guys?

Unleashed vs Live Meltdown

The only catch is, you have to check your nostalgia at the door before voting. Honest question: Do you really think you can do that?  ;)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1776 on: May 31, 2021, 12:48:26 AM »
I'd probably be partial to Live Meltdown.  Always thought Live in London was good too.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1777 on: May 31, 2021, 02:56:37 PM »
Believe or not, I've never sat and listened to Jugulator or Demolition. I may have checked out a song here and there, but I'm not even sure at that. I've just never been a huge Priest fan, and hearing they had a copycat vocalist, I never had any interest in checking them out.

Anyway, I checked out Jugulator this weekend. Wow, this thing crushes. This is a fantastic metal album.
But damn, they need a lyric writer. The lyrics really started going downhill in the mid 80's, and it continues here. There are a couple of songs where they're fine, most notably Cathedral Spires, which is the standout track on the album.

Jugulator

The title track starts off with a really interesting intro. Ripper starts off slowly and then the scream to signal his presence. And then the song begins to rip my face off. There's a lot going on in the verses. Interesting gang styled vocal accents. I love the guitar line at 3:04. That is wicked. This song kicks ass. It takes a couple of listens to sink in, but it fucking smokes.

Blood Stained starts off with an Anthrax style stomp. The part after the solo at 2:38 (and again at 3:26) reminds me of Alice In Chains a bit. This song rips.

Dead Meat is solid enough. Nice rhythms throughout. Not sure I love this song though. I do like the bridge though.

Death Row reminds me of a King Diamond track with Megadeth style dialog drops. 2nd rate track for me here, as is Decapitate. Decapitate's solo is unlistenable, though the rhythms are nice and chunky during it.

Burn In Hell is an cool tune, except for the pre chorus. The lyrics seem dumb as shit though. But musically this is really nice. The chorus reminds me of King Diamond. Love the bit at 4:21 right before the solo. Nice chunky guitars at 4:44 right after the solo.

Brain Dead starts off with a heavy Sabbath vibe. I hear Alice In Chains again with the verse. It's a bit plodding to me. I love the part from 2:35 to 2:58. Turns into Slayer at that point for the solos. And then with an awesome guitar line at 3:27 they basically turn into Megadeth until 4:01.
Interesting track with lots of styles.

Abductors is another Sabbath styled tune with a King Diamond chorus. 2:27 is not the Into The Void riff but it made me think of it. Fucking cool. I love when they come out of the solo. That's real nice.

Bullet Train starts off with a wicked intro, but is relatively uninteresting until the 2:45 mark. Feels kind of Slayerish at 3:30. That whole 2:45-4:10 part might be my favorite minute and a half on the album.

Cathedral Spires lives up to its billing. It is an epic song that feels more complete than Blood Red Skies. Does the riff at 2:04 remind anyone else of the beginning of Bruce Dickinson's 1,000 Points Of Light? I might sound crazy on this, but I feel like they tap some of the songwriting from their 70's epics on this. I'm thinking songs like Beyond The Realms, Island Of Domination, Run Of The Mill, where they seemed to look as to how each piece was joined together to make a full song. It feels like a complete song, and the lyrics are more than respectable.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 03:02:05 PM by TAC »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1778 on: May 31, 2021, 04:08:20 PM »
Loved reading that writeup Tim.  Interesting in regards to Jugulator is that they obviously played with different tunings for the first time in their career.  From memory, Burn in Hell and Bullet Train are tuned just half a step down to E flat.  The title track, Blood Stained, Death Row (could be E flat though), Decapitate and Abductors are tuned one and a half steps down to C sharp and Dead Meat, Brain Dead and Cathedral Spires are tuned all the way down 2 whole steps to C.  This is low and unexpected for Priest adding to the surprises of this album.

Jugulator was actually one of the first metal albums I got into.  There used to be a second hand cd store around the corner from the music shop I worked at.  I got my first few Maiden releases from there and began exploring, hearing Priest not long after.  I can't remember which Priest I heard first truthfully but I remember seeing the cover and picking it up.  That was one afternoon after school and I had to go back for an after hours study group.  I remember the whole time just wanting to go home and crank this album.  Got home about 9pm and played it late at night.  It scared the shit out of me.  The nostalgia factor is big on this one.  Hearing the title track for the first time cemented my love for this genre.  Great riffs and Ripper crushes this song.

Blood Stained is cool.  Not a big Anthrax or AIC but I do hear a Layne Stanley feel in that 2:38 part.  This was a song that featured live heavily.

Dead Meat is heavy as fuck, that intro riff blisters, but the lyrics here suck.  "we are all dead meat, cut us watch us bleed."  :lol  Err.....that's okay, I'm good.  The heaviness makes up for it though.

I like that KD and Megadeth references in Death Row.  I can totally hear that now.  Not my fav on the album but a cool story.  Nice bit of trivia that the voice at 2:33 of the victim before the solo is Glenn!

Decapitate is fucking brutal.  Those lyrics are bad, but pretty frightenting if you ask me.  The guillotine the cuts through the riff a couple of times makes me a bit squeamish truthfully, nice touch.  The main riff here I hear a lot of Tony Iommi, even his later solo stuff with Hughes, just reminds me of that.  Speaking of the solos, the lead tones are really interesting.  Not conventional in any way, very unique.

Burn in Hell is a slap the forehead moment with the lyrics.  The "have you got a gun" line makes me cringe.   That riff though is fucking groovy!  Again, I hear the King Diamond too Tim, especially in that main riff in the quiet section at the start.  Glenn has a couple of nice short, subtle leads in this too.  And yeah, that 4:21 almost Machine Head like riff is cool as fuck.

The riffing in Brain Dead is some of the best on the whole album, fucking monstrous.  Again, don't know much AIC but I can hear Layne singing that.  The riffs do keep coming here too.  I like that Slayer reference in the solos too.  Glenn was a bit looser on this album and more in line with KK's style, it's interesting.  Can hear the Megadeth part too.

I love the almost doom feel of Abductors, definite Sabbath vibe.  Ha, the "will bleed your mind" is pure King Diamond hey!?  Never noticed that!  Again like Brain Dead, this one is filled with great riffs.

Bullet Train is probably the most traditional Priest song here, but that riffing right at the start is quick, almost thrash.  I don't think I've ever heard Priest do this kind of quick, Iced Earth type riffing  I love the tough guy metal gang vocals in the pre chorus.  Some growls here would have worked well. 

Cathedral Spires is incredible.  Tim's vocals at the start are just too fucking good.  I love KK's guitar fills in there too, really adds to the atmosphere.  Yeah, can hear that heavier 1000 Points of Light riff in there too for sure.  Never noticed before it's near identical just tuned lower.  Good pick up.  In relation to the 70's songwriting, it definitely feels different to the rest of the album even though all the elements are the same as the other songs.  Love the melody of the chorus.  i love Glenn's solo here too, very tasty (the second one).  That little arpeggio thing at 5:24 is so good.  The outro is epic as fuck too.  Classic Priest song here.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1779 on: May 31, 2021, 04:18:02 PM »
I know you were listening to Armored Saint a bit ago, but I found myself thinking about John Bush Era Anthrax a lot on this album, especially on the early tracks. It's really riffy and heavy, and those gang style vocal accents call them up big time.

The thing what kind of caught me by surprise as that Ripper sang in his lower and mid registers way more than I expected, and it really helps add to the heaviness.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1780 on: May 31, 2021, 04:31:52 PM »
I know you were listening to Armored Saint a bit ago, but I found myself thinking about John Bush Era Anthrax a lot on this album, especially on the early tracks. It's really riffy and heavy, and those gang style vocal accents call them up big time.

The thing what kind of caught me by surprise as that Ripper sang in his lower and mid registers way more than I expected, and it really helps add to the heaviness.

I own Greater of Two Evils/We've Come For You All and while I have to dig more into AS, I loved Punching the Sky, I got a copy on cd and spin it quite a bit, that album is brilliant.  might be the best gateway to check these Anthrax albums out again.

But yes, he does use his lower range a lot here, seems Glenn and Ken wrote the songs to Ripper's full range, which I like.

Might chuck Live Meltdown into the car today.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1781 on: May 31, 2021, 04:33:18 PM »
I'll hit Demolition on Wednesday.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1782 on: May 31, 2021, 04:35:25 PM »
I'll hit Demolition on Wednesday.

This one ain't no Jugulator mate........

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1783 on: May 31, 2021, 04:37:05 PM »
My ears are wide open!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1784 on: May 31, 2021, 04:45:18 PM »
My ears are wide open!

Go into it with no expectations and maybe try and even forgot you are listening to Priest if you can.  :lol I didn't mind it truthfully, there's some cool tunes on there but it's definitely nowhere near their best.