Author Topic: THE Judas Priest thread - v. new album and tour in 2024  (Read 220077 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: THE Judas Priest thread - gearing up for an active 2021!
« Reply #1715 on: May 29, 2021, 05:15:06 AM »
Still reeling from the shock of learning there are JP fans that didn’t know the lyrics to Eat Me Alive.

Let's be honest, it's the worst song on an amazing album. I saw it played live and they played it only because it was a rarity and it was never played live, but lyrics aside, that's actually the last song I need to hear from Defenders.

The title track is by far the worst song on the album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1716 on: May 29, 2021, 05:41:01 AM »
Heavy Duty / Defenders of the Faith is a cool combo, cheesy and simple but it's also anthemic, I guess when you hear it live it's cool to sing along we areeeee defenders of the faiiiiith.....
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1717 on: May 29, 2021, 06:34:34 AM »
Eat Me Alive isn't a standout, but I like it.  Fun song if you just wanna rock out a little.

Regarding the chatter about Hell Bent..., I like it, but would certainly agree that all of the other 70's studio albums are better.  The whole record is good, but while I like a few songs quite a bit (Burnin' Up and Before the Dawn), there isn't anything on there I would consider a top tier, or even second tier, Priest tune.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1718 on: May 29, 2021, 08:56:52 AM »
I guess I’m just surprised because of how notorious it came to be in the 80s. It was all over the news for being a part of the “filthy 15“. (for those of you too young to remember, the filthy 15 was a list of songs put together by the PMRC that they wanted to show as prime examples of how debased modern music had become... and, of course, nearly every single artist on the list experienced a popularity boost from being featured on the list. LOL)

As for the song itself, I think it’s an extremely strong track. Not the best song on DOTF, but much better than several songs from SFV.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1719 on: May 29, 2021, 09:03:14 AM »
I WAS around at that time, and honestly I thought all of that was a fucking joke even then.   I didn't pay any attention to any of it.  I didn't think "YAY! METAL!" when Dee Snider testified, I thought "why pander to this nonsense?"  When they called out "Darling Nikki" for the masturbation reference - something I had been doing at an Olympic level for a couple years at that point ;) - and when "Jazz From Hell" (AN INSTRUMENTAL RECORD) was included by others as a problem, I tuned the fuck out.   The "Dirty 15" meant nothing to me.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1720 on: May 29, 2021, 09:20:53 AM »
I WAS around at that time, and honestly I thought all of that was a fucking joke even then.   I didn't pay any attention to any of it.  I didn't think "YAY! METAL!" when Dee Snider testified, I thought "why pander to this nonsense?"  When they called out "Darling Nikki" for the masturbation reference - something I had been doing at an Olympic level for a couple years at that point ;) - and when "Jazz From Hell" (AN INSTRUMENTAL RECORD) was included by others as a problem, I tuned the fuck out.   The "Dirty 15" meant nothing to me.

Weird, because *at that time* I felt very passionate about defending music from what they were attempting to do. And I think most people were a bit surprised when Dee turned out to be more intelligent and articulate than they anticipated. Frank Zappa especially shined at those hearings.

But of course, back then I didn’t understand the circus, and legitimately felt threatened by what the PMRC was trying to do. Which all seems rather stupid now.  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1721 on: May 29, 2021, 09:26:07 AM »
OK, here's my thought at the time. I had to check the date of the hearings...September 19, 1985..Three days before I turned 17.

I honestly never understood the horror of putting warnings on albums. We rated movies already.

My impressions of Zappa and Snider were that Zappa came off as a self important blowhard, and Snider looked like a fucking clown.

I have zero recollection of The Filthy 15 or whatever.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1722 on: May 29, 2021, 09:30:37 AM »
OK, here's my thought at the time. I had to check the date of the hearings...September 19, 1985..Three days before I turned 17.

I honestly never understood the horror of putting warnings on albums. We rated movies already.

My impressions of Zappa and Snider were that Zappa came off as a self important blowhard, and Snider looked like a fucking clown.

I have zero recollection of The Filthy 15 or whatever.

I think that was the point. He came in looking like...well, he came in looking like a lead singer of Twisted Sister. Because of that, they were expecting a moronic “PMRC BAD!!!” monosyllabic tirade. The contrast of what they were expecting vs. how articulate he actually was not only caught them off-guard, but also made the point of not judging someone’s intelligence level by how they look, what kind of music they like, and what they do for a living.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1723 on: May 29, 2021, 09:33:00 AM »
I thought he looked foolish. But I really don't remember the content. It's probably on youtube.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1724 on: May 29, 2021, 09:34:20 AM »
And the fact that John Denver joined in (everyone had been expecting the poster boy for “America and apple pie” to defend the PMRC, and instead he sided with Dee, Frank, and others) turned the whole thing into quite the 1st amendment drama.

Of course, I was not quite 16, and extremely dramatic. I’m more cynical now, but I’m just recalling what I felt at the time.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1725 on: May 29, 2021, 09:37:43 AM »
Of course, I was not quite 16, and extremely dramatic. I’m more cynical now, but I’m just recalling what I felt at the time.

Yeah, I was a year older, but the same..just recalling what my thoughts were THEN. I honestly haven't really thought about it as an adult.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1726 on: May 29, 2021, 10:00:18 AM »
I don't begrudge others, Ben, but for me, from Day One, I was never really a "flag" guy.  Maybe because it's because I liked other music - prog, the early alternative - as much as I did rock and metal.  I loved Dio in Sabbath, because the lyrics were interesting. Some of his solo stuff, the "We Rock!" stuff, lost me.   I'm a huge Twisted Sister fan, but I like the first two records best.   The "I Wanna Rock!" stuff was joke-y to me.   I preferred Maiden over Priest, because I dug "Rime Of The Ancient Mariner" and would rather hear that than "We are! Defenders of the faith!".  I thought the "Mettle Maniacs!" stuff was silly.   It was later, I know, but the best part of grunge was that they were playing Sabbath, essentially, without the stupid 80's metal get-ups (it didn't take hindsight for me to feel that Kiss looked ridiculous in '84).

There are exceptions; Michael Schenker had some lyrics like that.   Kiss was borderline, but there's had a slightly different flavor (except when Paul did his "stand up for what you believe in!" schtick in concert. 

Online Mladen

« Reply #1727 on: May 29, 2021, 11:07:02 AM »
The whole PMRC thing is still famous among the young metalheads that weren't even born at the time. I found out about the controversy through web articles, some songs (Parental guidance, Hook in mouth) and the movie "Warning: Parental Advisory." It was cool to learn how musicians had to stand up to the goverment in order to be able to express themselves artistically, and to this day, I sometimes watch clips based on the era. I bumped into Zappa's speech a while ago and thought it was hilarious.  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1728 on: May 30, 2021, 03:26:23 AM »
British Steel - My thoughts on this one were pretty much the same.  Never understood the hype with this one, but it's a very good metal album across the board.  It's pretty simple as a whole, but is still a decent listen.  The singles are fine enough, and catchy enough that they don't warrant skipping, but you can see what the band is going for here, which is fine.  United I can take or leave and Metal Gods has always been a decent stomper.  Rapid Fire and Grinder are awesome and Steeler was one I forgot about to that I enjoyed.  The Rage wasn't as good as I remembered and Old to Be Wise was just solid. 

Point of Entry - I really enjoy this one.  I guess I'm a bit of a sucker of when Priest do something a little different.  HOTTH is a brilliant track.  I like the extra solos they put in live, and would have worked well in the studio.  Don't Go I find quite brilliant.  It's flamboyant, moody and just a really good well written track.  Hot Rockin' is nice and Turning Circle is an interesting song too.  Desert Plains is classic and from there it does dip in quality a little.  I do like You Say Yes, that's an interesting song.  All the Way is catchy too.  One thing I find is the bonus tracks not representing the eras at all.  Thunder Road is a bit of a banger and would have fit in well on either Turbo or RID.

SFV - Now this one was a bit better than I always had rated it.  Again, I never understood the love for this one, but I kind of see why listening now.  EE is of course a stormer but I really enjoyed Riding and Bloodstone more than I ever have, they were both pleasant listens.  Take These Chains is again something different but was always a favourite.  Love the 80's flair here and strong melodies.  P&P I could do without and Another Thing Coming is fine, but I never really enjoyed that one as much as their other singles.  The title track fucking rips though, holy shit!!  Fever again is one I never paid much attention to but really liked it here.  Devil's Child was again one I never really got blown away by.  A top 3 song though is Prisoner of Your Eyes, what a song, and what a fucking brilliant Tipton solo (Even though KK makes an appearance in the second section)  Criminal that this was a bonus track.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1729 on: May 30, 2021, 04:52:20 AM »
Defenders - Top 3 Priest album, perfect metal.  Not a fan of the title track, but I can forgive it.  The bonus track Turn on Your Light is wonderful.  Rock Hard and Heads are two tracks that would make it high on my top Priest list.  Two very underrated songs.  Don't forget Night Comes Down, that's a cracker.

I can see why Tim would hate Turbo and why any Priest fan til that point would hate it.  If I had followed the band and got Defenders, Turbo would have my puking too.  As I said, I discovered the band differently so I can appreciate it.  The opening two tracks are stellar.  Locked In has always been one I enjoyed, love that solo section.  Glenn shows his technical music skills here too.  PP and PG are okay.  Not great, but I can take them.  RYAATW though, is shit, that chorus is so awkward.  Out in the Cold again a classic and I actually really liked it as an opener on that tour.  Great brooding song with a thick lovely atmosphere.  Wild Nights again, I can take, whatever.  Hot For Love I always liked even though it made Tim vomit haha. Some of KK's best work here and those harmonies are brilliant.  Reckless I mentioned is a forgotten gem, classic stuff.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #1730 on: May 30, 2021, 05:40:40 AM »
I sort of stopped being interested in Judas Priest around the time of Turbo.  I had been a fan since the release of Sad Wings of Destiny.  IIRC the first Judas Priest album I ever got was Unleashed In The East on vinyl.  I then immediately went and got the first two albums.  I was hooked!  Loved everything they released after that up to Turbo, which I despised.  I still have never made it all the way through that record.  I'm positive there are songs on it I've never heard.  Everything they've released after that did very little to nothing for me.  I don't care for Painkiller at all.  And it just went downhill from there.  Yesterday at the gym I decided to give Redeemer of Souls another try and found myself liking quite a bit of it. I may go back and revisit some of those albums I missed.  But I have to say that Firepower is the best record they've released in probably 25 years. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1731 on: May 30, 2021, 07:16:27 AM »
Defenders - Top 3 Priest album, perfect metal.  Not a fan of the title track, but I can forgive it.  The bonus track Turn on Your Light is wonderful.  Rock Hard and Heads are two tracks that would make it high on my top Priest list.  Two very underrated songs.  Don't forget Night Comes Down, that's a cracker.

I can see why Tim would hate Turbo and why any Priest fan til that point would hate it.  If I had followed the band and got Defenders, Turbo would have my puking too.  As I said, I discovered the band differently so I can appreciate it.  The opening two tracks are stellar.  Locked In has always been one I enjoyed, love that solo section.  Glenn shows his technical music skills here too.  PP and PG are okay.  Not great, but I can take them.  RYAATW though, is shit, that chorus is so awkward.  Out in the Cold again a classic and I actually really liked it as an opener on that tour.  Great brooding song with a thick lovely atmosphere.  Wild Nights again, I can take, whatever.  Hot For Love I always liked even though it made Tim vomit haha. Some of KK's best work here and those harmonies are brilliant.  Reckless I mentioned is a forgotten gem, classic stuff.

That intro is just  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy.  The combination of the guitar tone and the mix could not be any more perfect.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1732 on: May 30, 2021, 08:31:39 AM »
British Steel - My thoughts on this one were pretty much the same.  Never understood the hype with this one, but it's a very good metal album across the board.  It's pretty simple as a whole, but is still a decent listen.  The singles are fine enough, and catchy enough that they don't warrant skipping, but you can see what the band is going for here, which is fine.  United I can take or leave and Metal Gods has always been a decent stomper.  Rapid Fire and Grinder are awesome and Steeler was one I forgot about to that I enjoyed.  The Rage wasn't as good as I remembered and Old to Be Wise was just solid. 

Point of Entry - I really enjoy this one.  I guess I'm a bit of a sucker of when Priest do something a little different.  HOTTH is a brilliant track.  I like the extra solos they put in live, and would have worked well in the studio.  Don't Go I find quite brilliant.  It's flamboyant, moody and just a really good well written track.  Hot Rockin' is nice and Turning Circle is an interesting song too.  Desert Plains is classic and from there it does dip in quality a little.  I do like You Say Yes, that's an interesting song.  All the Way is catchy too.  One thing I find is the bonus tracks not representing the eras at all.  Thunder Road is a bit of a banger and would have fit in well on either Turbo or RID.

SFV - Now this one was a bit better than I always had rated it.  Again, I never understood the love for this one, but I kind of see why listening now.  EE is of course a stormer but I really enjoyed Riding and Bloodstone more than I ever have, they were both pleasant listens.  Take These Chains is again something different but was always a favourite.  Love the 80's flair here and strong melodies.  P&P I could do without and Another Thing Coming is fine, but I never really enjoyed that one as much as their other singles.  The title track fucking rips though, holy shit!!  Fever again is one I never paid much attention to but really liked it here.  Devil's Child was again one I never really got blown away by.  A top 3 song though is Prisoner of Your Eyes, what a song, and what a fucking brilliant Tipton solo (Even though KK makes an appearance in the second section)  Criminal that this was a bonus track.

Why was Prisoner Of Your Eyes, recorded during the Turbo sessions, on a Screaming reissue??
Why was Thunder Road, recorded during the Ram It Down Sessions, released on a Point Of Entry reissue?

Both songs should've easily made their respective albums. I had never heard either. I listened at first thinking Prisoner was in the Screaming batch, and I was wondering why the guitars were covered by synthesizers, but now seeing it was a Turbo era track, that makes sense. There's a really good song in there.

I personally skipped SFV and DotF for this exercise but I really love Riding On The Wind. Just wanted to say that!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1733 on: May 30, 2021, 08:34:03 AM »
I sort of stopped being interested in Judas Priest around the time of Turbo.  I had been a fan since the release of Sad Wings of Destiny.  IIRC the first Judas Priest album I ever got was Unleashed In The East on vinyl.  I then immediately went and got the first two albums.  I was hooked!  Loved everything they released after that up to Turbo, which I despised.  I still have never made it all the way through that record.  I'm positive there are songs on it I've never heard.  Everything they've released after that did very little to nothing for me.  I don't care for Painkiller at all.  And it just went downhill from there.  Yesterday at the gym I decided to give Redeemer of Souls another try and found myself liking quite a bit of it. I may go back and revisit some of those albums I missed.  But I have to say that Firepower is the best record they've released in probably 25 years.

That's what we're doing here! Join in!

Wait wut, you didn't like Painkiller? I'm genuinely surprised to hear that.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1734 on: May 30, 2021, 09:07:03 AM »
Ram It Down

From the opening scream of the title track, it seems like Judas Priest is here to make amends for their previous album. I think it's pretty standard fare though. The bridge is kind of lightweight. The guitar solos start off by trading fast licks. Are these licks any good? They just seem like fast noise. They do eventually play in unison which helps reign it in a but. I like at 3:20 where the solo seems to hesitate for a second, and then goes off again. The second half of the solo is definitely nice. Are Priest back?? We'll see but they're off to a good start here.

Heavy Metal starts off with cranking solo intro. While the song is a solid rocker, I don't know. Feels a bit chiche'd lyrically. But the solo is good. Love the Wolf Hoffman styled tone at 3:40 and 3:48. Love the chunky rhythm guitars returning after the solo.

Is this song actually called Love Zone? The first thing I noticed during the verse is Dave Holland has some nice drum parts here. The second thing I noticed is how screechy Halford sounds here. I thought the same thing in the previous song too. What's the deal here? But these lyrics and chorus..fucking gag me.

Come And Get It (another gag worthy title) is such sub standard Judas Priest. Leave this shit for the fucking Bulletboys.

Hard As Iron (Do I sense a theme with these titles?) starts out a surprisingly (at this point) pounding metal rhythm. The verse is fine enough, but the chorus is a hot mess. I like the solo at 2:18. The end of the solo is great as is the coming out of it. This song is almost there. Almost.

I noticed that most people consider Blood Red Skies as the classic from this album.
The intro is awesome. But then come the Turbo beats. To me, this song really never gets there. I thought it might be the production of the studio version so I found the Live Epitaph version on youtube. It's definitely heavier and comes across much stronger. Is it me or is Halford's use of the teleprompter distracting...but I digress. I feel it comes close to an epic feel towards the end, but it's just not there. Sorry.

The verse on I'm A Rocker is kind of weird. It's like the vocal line isn't in tune with the guitars. This song blows. It has a nice solo section for sure. If they fit that into Blood Red Skies, it would've been better. Which brings me back to Blood Red Skies...it just needed some more seasoning.

Jonnie B. Good? Jonnie B. Bad. Real Bad.  I do like the guitar rhythm under the first two lines of each verse.

Love You To Death-These lyrics suck. Musically it's pretty decent actually. Nice solo section.

Monsters Of Rock...I love the sinister guitar line at 3:20, but the song was a total bore to get there.
What a waste of a good riff.

Honestly, Ram It Down was way heavier than I expected/remembered. Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that Ram It Down was their attempt to a return to form as opposed to Painkiller. At first I dismissed it, but after listening to Ram It Down, I guess I can understand it.

This album has great guitars in places, and Halford is singing his lungs off.  But at the end of the day, this album simply does not have the songwriting to support either. This album feels rushed. It's like they finished a basic song, and simply went to the next. I can't believe there was no one there to say that this wasn't good enough. But I'm sure they were on a tight schedule. It sure sounds that way.

I blew this tour off. They brought Cinderella with them, and that definitely wasn't going to entice me to go.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1735 on: May 30, 2021, 09:10:16 AM »
I like Blood Red Skies as it is. At least the programmed drums are in line with the lyrics of the song and the cyberpunk theme.

And I'm a Rocker is a little stupid fun song that is actually amongst the best of an album that is "half so-called killer if the production was different and the sound was heavier and Scott Travis was the drummer, half filler".
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #1736 on: May 30, 2021, 09:13:33 AM »
I don't know who was choosing what made it on those 2 albums but they were asleep at the wheel. I just don't get how Thunder Road, Prisoner of your eyes, heart of a lion or Fire Burns Below didn't make the cut but somehow songs like Love Zone and Wild Nights, Hot & Crazy Days did
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1737 on: May 30, 2021, 09:26:20 AM »
I wonder if part of it was that the album was already half done and then maybe they didn’t take the time to properly finish it?

Remember that most of these songs were recorded during the abandoned Twin Turbos project.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1738 on: May 30, 2021, 09:38:29 AM »
Can I ask a question for the Judas Priest experts? Who was the band "leader"? Whose vision were they following? Or were they even following one?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1739 on: May 30, 2021, 09:42:59 AM »
I’m not a huge Judas Priest fan, but I have followed them from the sidelines ever since 1983. And if I had to take an educated guess I would say Tipton.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1740 on: May 30, 2021, 09:46:01 AM »
I’m not a huge Judas Priest fan, but I have followed them from the sidelines ever since 1983.

Yeah, that's basically me as well.  There's just something about them that I could never go "all in" for. I am, however, starting to form an opinion on as to why though.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1741 on: May 30, 2021, 12:29:03 PM »
I’m not a huge Judas Priest fan, but I have followed them from the sidelines ever since 1983. And if I had to take an educated guess I would say Tipton.

Yeah I think Tipton somehow even though he is not an original member. Best songwriter so . . .

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1742 on: May 30, 2021, 01:07:14 PM »
Not just that, but the fact that I think probably (on the whole) contributed more to the vision of the project and brand than KK did. And Rob is mostly just a figurehead and an average lyric writer at best. EDIT - I mean...one of the most gifted voices in the history of metal, but he only has to show up for that.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1743 on: May 30, 2021, 01:50:32 PM »
I’m not a huge Judas Priest fan, but I have followed them from the sidelines ever since 1983.

Yeah, that's basically me as well.  There's just something about them that I could never go "all in" for. I am, however, starting to form an opinion on as to why though.

I want to hear that, because I'm in the same boat.   I too think it's Tipton, but they always spoke in interviews about the "Downing/Halford/Tipton" songwriting team.  But there's something very "fake" about that band that I don't like. Like it's all an act and there's a lot behind the scenes.   Someone mentioned about the bonus songs, and you're right: they just tacked on songs to albums; the bonus track on Sin After Sin was from Stained Class sessions, and the Stained Class bonus was from the RAM IT DOWN sessions, 10 years later.   And most of the live tracks are listed basically as "recording on one of our many world tours across the years" or something like that, even though most of them are from three well-known (and otherwise released) shows from Long Beach, St. Louis, and Tennessee.   it just seems so cheap and lazy, like lip service.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1744 on: May 30, 2021, 02:13:17 PM »
   Someone mentioned about the bonus songs, and you're right: they just tacked on songs to albums; the bonus track on Sin After Sin was from Stained Class sessions, and the Stained Class bonus was from the RAM IT DOWN sessions, 10 years later.   

Yeah, that was me. ;D

(I hate that I'm about to do this..) Do you think MP would allow a SFAM bonus track on a I&W reissue, or would Steve Harris allow a 7th Son bonus track on a Number Of The Beast reissue?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1745 on: May 30, 2021, 02:48:40 PM »

Why was Prisoner Of Your Eyes, recorded during the Turbo sessions, on a Screaming reissue??
Why was Thunder Road, recorded during the Ram It Down Sessions, released on a Point Of Entry reissue?

Both songs should've easily made their respective albums. I had never heard either. I listened at first thinking Prisoner was in the Screaming batch, and I was wondering why the guitars were covered by synthesizers, but now seeing it was a Turbo era track, that makes sense. There's a really good song in there.

I personally skipped SFV and DotF for this exercise but I really love Riding On The Wind. Just wanted to say that!

Those reissues had all bonus tracks not representing the current album or era.  I missed that Prisoner was recorded for Turboo, but whatever album it would have been on, it would be up there for me.  It's like Fire Burns Below that was recorded for RID being on Stained Class.  Stupid.  I guess they didn't have bonus tracks for some albums so they spread what they have over all of them.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1746 on: May 30, 2021, 02:55:27 PM »
Can I ask a question for the Judas Priest experts? Who was the band "leader"? Whose vision were they following? Or were they even following one?

Tipton, but I have a feeling the three of them were on the same page for most of the time.  If we break down solos, unlike Maiden where they are even, Glenn is the dominant one.  Better player of course but you can feel his influence on whatever Priest were doing.

Tim talking solos on RID, this album has some of Glenn's finest work.  Heavy Metal, I'm a Rocker and that second half of the title track solo section is technically fucking mindblowing to me.  Guy is a genius.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1747 on: May 30, 2021, 03:15:10 PM »
Tim talking solos on RID, this album has some of Glenn's finest work.  Heavy Metal, I'm a Rocker and that second half of the title track solo section is technically fucking mindblowing to me.  Guy is a genius.

I called each of those out. I do like the second half of Ram It Down solo.

It feels like on some of the solos on the album, they're just trading off super fast bits.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1748 on: May 30, 2021, 03:22:52 PM »

I called each of those out. I do like the second half of Ram It Down solo.

It feels like on some of the solos on the album, they're just trading off super fast bits.

Probably.  Probably more reactionary after Turbo and trying to get back to a more metal sound.

I don't know, Tipton might be my all time fav guitar player.  I've always thought about coming up with a top 50 guitar solo list or something.  Thinking about it, there would be more Tipton solos in there than any other guitarist I would think.  That's saying something.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1749 on: May 30, 2021, 03:28:52 PM »
Kade, this one's for you!!

Going back to this.  My first concert when I was 17 was the Demolition tour.  It blew me away and probably is still the best concert I've been to.  Small arena, loud and heavy as fuck.  Such an experience as a first concert.

Now, I went with my guitar teacher but cause I was underage, we were split and under 18's were up on the balcony away from everyone else.  Great view truthfully and more comfortable.  There were maybe 25 of us young ones.  Anyway, point of the story, at the end Glenn was giving the crowd the metal horns while panning across.  I was giving it back to the band and as he panned to my side he looked up and honed directly at me and we were both locked in on each other with the devil horns.  It was funny he was panning but stopped on me for like a good 10 seconds.  Still gives me chills thinking about it, made a young kid a lifelong fan.  I wish I could tell him what that meant to me, like he knew I was a real Priest fan even at that young age, it was my coolest concert moment.