Author Topic: THE Judas Priest thread - v. new album and tour in 2024  (Read 220285 times)

Offline ozzy554

Re: THE Judas Priest thread - gearing up for an active 2021!
« Reply #1645 on: May 26, 2021, 06:47:47 PM »
Turbo and Ram it down are the only halford era albums I haven't really dived into. Love Blood Red Skies though
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #1646 on: May 26, 2021, 06:58:01 PM »
Hard As Iron is an excellent song imo. Ram It Down has a few killer songs.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #1647 on: May 26, 2021, 07:04:50 PM »
Also an honorable mention for Thunder Road that was replaced by Johnny B. Goode on the album. Also Heart of a Lion which Im sad never made it past the demo phase as a priest song.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1648 on: May 26, 2021, 07:19:55 PM »
Turbo and Ram It Down are the younger siblings of Point of Entry: really choppy and inconsistent, but with a few amazing highs.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1649 on: May 26, 2021, 08:23:27 PM »
The HOTTH video was just cool.  I always loved Dave's fills right before the versed.  Are they anything technically great?  No, but they fit perfectly.  And the scenes in the middle of nowhere with Glenn and KK drag racing clearly establish that "these three guys are the important ones, and those two are not."  It's also one of those things where you look back now and laugh and say, "how did we not know this guy was gay?"

:lol

I watched the video last night for the first time in years. I agree.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1650 on: May 27, 2021, 06:00:21 AM »
The HOTTH video was just cool.  I always loved Dave's fills right before the versed.  Are they anything technically great?  No, but they fit perfectly.  And the scenes in the middle of nowhere with Glenn and KK drag racing clearly establish that "these three guys are the important ones, and those two are not."  It's also one of those things where you look back now and laugh and say, "how did we not know this guy was gay?"

Same as the Locked In video.  Rob is the main character who needs saving, and Glenn and Ken are his rescuers.  Ian and Dave are the plebs that wait in the carpark to pick them up!  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1651 on: May 27, 2021, 06:29:14 AM »
I'm a bit behind but moving onto Stained Class today.  :metal

Always said Sin was my fav 70's Priest album but Sad Wings can match it.  Incredible, never really realized that before, strange.

Sad Wings is a game changer for 1976.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1652 on: May 27, 2021, 07:12:09 AM »

Same as the Locked In video.  Rob is the main character who needs saving, and Glenn and Ken are his rescuers.  Ian and Dave are the plebs that wait in the carpark to pick them up!  :lol

How "Hot Rockin'" wasn't Priest's version of "Rock Me Tonite", I'll never know.   

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1653 on: May 27, 2021, 08:59:15 AM »
I know the discussion has been all over the place recently and I'd hate to add to the "confusion", but for some reason, I felt like spinning Jugulator today. Catherdral spires and the title track are still brilliant. I also like Burn in hell quite a bit.

The rest is so and so, but I am aware why the album does have its fans. It truly is heavy and menacing.  :metal

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1654 on: May 27, 2021, 09:04:33 AM »
Burn in Hell has an amazing buildup and it's indeed one of the best songs there.

Like Load and Reload, this is probably a situation where an album with the best songs off Jugulator and Demolition would have been better received.

Something like:

1. Jugulator
2. One on One   
3. Blood Stained
4. Close to You   
5. Burn in Hell   
6. Feed on Me   
7. Death Row   
8. Hell Is Home   
9. Abductors
10. Lost and Found
11. Metal Messiah
12. Cathedral Spires
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1655 on: May 27, 2021, 09:39:47 AM »
I have literally not heard Turbo in its entirety in 35 years. I borrowed the tape from a friend and thought it blew.

It's probably the only album by a favorite band that I didn't replace on CD when I tossed my remaining vinyl in the trash in 97/98, and I probably hadn't dropped the needle on it in 10 years before that.  Looking at the track list, side 1 is at least memorable (which doesn't mean good, but I can at least remember how the choruses sound).  Can't remember a damn thing about any of the side 2 songs.  I did re-buy Priest...Live on CD, and that has 4/5 side 1 songs plus Out in the Cold.  Probably haven't listened to that in 30 years or so.

Hard As Iron is an excellent song imo. Ram It Down has a few killer songs.

Ram It Down is such a Jeckyll and Hyde album.  The title track, Hard as Iron, Blood Red Skies and I'm a Rocker are as good as anything they've ever done.  Heavy Metal, Love Zone, Johnny B. Goode and Love you to death are on par with songs on Turbo.  I honestly can't remember Love Zone, but the title makes me cringe.  Monsters of Rock is in the same vein as Heavy Duty from Defenders.  It's ok.

That whole dynamic is just hilarious.

What's "Rock Me Tonite"?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 09:45:32 AM by pg1067 »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1656 on: May 27, 2021, 10:47:20 AM »

What's "Rock Me Tonite"?

The infamous video by Billy Squier in 1984, directed by Kenny "High School Musical" Ortega that allegedly - at least he thinks so - killed his career.  It's hard to argue with him; that album - Signs Of Life - is excellent, but even though he continued to put out good records, he couldn't steal a hit.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1657 on: May 27, 2021, 12:14:34 PM »

What's "Rock Me Tonite"?

You're playing my side of the street.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #1658 on: May 27, 2021, 01:35:16 PM »
Oh, man, that video  :rollin

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1659 on: May 27, 2021, 01:58:04 PM »

What's "Rock Me Tonite"?

You're playing my side of the street.

Dude...we all know I've lived there a while.

What's "Rock Me Tonite"?

The infamous video by Billy Squier in 1984, directed by Kenny "High School Musical" Ortega that allegedly - at least he thinks so - killed his career.  It's hard to argue with him; that album - Signs Of Life - is excellent, but even though he continued to put out good records, he couldn't steal a hit.

Ahh...I know it well, but the song title didn't click with me.  I guess the biggest difference is that Priest wasn't as huge as Billy when Hot Rockin' was released, and Hot Rockin' didn't get nearly the level of airplay as RMT.  I suspect that, if they'd done Hot Rockin' after SFV and the You've Got Another Thing Coming video, the result might have been similar.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1660 on: May 27, 2021, 03:05:12 PM »
Turbo

OK..in 1986, I liked Judas Priest. I had Hell Bent through Defenders, and I liked them well enough. They weren't a favorite band, but whatever. When Turbo came out, I borrowed a copy of it from a friend of mine. It was a significant step down from anything else they did. My memory was that the songs were way too simple, and they tried to be a hair metal band. There was simply no metal.
Oddly, my ears almost fell off of my head when I heard the first few notes of Caught Somewhere In Time, but thankfully Maiden still made a good album., but let's face it..both bands introduced synthesizers in the same year.

I saw Judas Priest, with Dokken opening, on June 4, 1986 at the Providence Civic Center. It was a few days after my high school graduation.
I remember really liking the show. I wasn't keen on the new tracks, but we had good seats by the side of the stage on KK's side, and I got down to the floor towards the end of the show.

Anyway, yesterday, I listened to Turbo in its entirety for the first time in literally almost 35 years.

I actually think Turbo Lover is a great tune...but this studio version simply does not do it justice. The Priest Live version is so much better, but the 2012 live version is amazing. But back to the studio version..the song has a great build and rhythm to it. But the breakdown at 3:24, which is so incredible on the 2012 show, sounds like Duran Duran on the studio version. But that's a nice solo that brings us out of it. Even though the album blows, I've always respected the title track.

I must say, I do find the lyrics to Locked In a bit icky. I remember this as the single. I barely remember the video. I don't love the song at all, but the solos are nice. I like the rising rhythm under the solo at the 2:50 mark.

For some reason, I think I kind of liked Private Property. I remember having a band with my friends and I thought that would be a great name. Listening again..the song is extremely meh by any measurement, but for Priest, it's pretty low. When that solo begins at 2:54, I immediately think of Tommy McClendon on UFO's Misdemeanor which was released a few months earlier.

Parental Guidance..the song blows, the lyrics are fucking childish. Give me a break. You're Judas fucking Priest. You don't need songs with lyrics this shitty.

Rock You All Around The World is pretty cheesy and cliché ridden. not a good track.

I think Out In The Cold is a pretty decent tune on its own. The Turbo production really kills it though, and the Priest Live version doesn't really do the song, the actual song, justice. And it was obviously a terrible opener. I found a 2019 live video of it, and it's really freaking cool. Sometimes when judging an album like Turbo, sometimes you have to look through all sorts of distractions (Productions, etc.._) to get to the root of the song. And this is a good one.

I have zero memory of these last three songs...

Wild Nights, Hot & Crazy Days seems to be Judas Priest's answer to Summertime Girls. Except Y&T's song seemed a little more sincere, if that's possible. This song is embarrassing for a band like Judas Priest.

And speaking of embarrassing, Hot For Love? Are you fucking kidding me??

OK, but then comes Reckless. How did this awesome tune make the album. It doesn't even sound like the same sessions. Now THIS is Judas Priest. The bridge is a little cheesy, but that's OK. The melodic solo that follows it makes me forget all about it. Nice solid track.

Apparently there's a bonus track All Fired Up.  I have no idea how it didn't make the album. There's 5 or 6 songs that totally suck on this album, and this would've been better than all of them. And honestly, it's not even that great. That solo certainly needed some more work.

Oh, and we cannot talk about the Turbo Era without mentioning Heavy Metal Parking Lot

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1661 on: May 27, 2021, 03:14:48 PM »
Reckless  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1662 on: May 27, 2021, 03:16:57 PM »
Reckless  :metal

I felt like it was the first time hearing it. It's solid, but after the shitshow it follows, it feels like a damn classic.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1663 on: May 27, 2021, 03:44:56 PM »
And it could have became a true classic, had they offered the song for a movie, something about pilots flying, a guy named Tom was involved or whatever, it's not that the movie was THAT famous anyway....

;D

Yeah, true story, Top Gun wanted to use Reckless in the movie, but they didn't want to take it off the album.

When the movie became a hit, they learned their lesson, and for the next album they covered Johnny B. Goode which ended up in a movie that......... everyone quickly forgot about. Priest and movies wasn't meant to be evidently  :D

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1664 on: May 27, 2021, 03:47:04 PM »
Turbo is a great album and the lyrics Parental Guidance are about the PMRC who at the time where trying to censor Metal.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1665 on: May 27, 2021, 03:50:03 PM »
Parental Guidance..the song blows, the lyrics are fucking childish. Give me a break. You're Judas fucking Priest. You don't need songs with lyrics this shitty.

I literally LOL'd at this.  And the funny thing is they'd have been right at home on Twisted Sister's Stay Hungry (or whatever the abomination was that they released as a follow up).

Oh, and we cannot talk about the Turbo Era without mentioning Heavy Metal Parking Lot

19 days after I saw them on the same tour.  In fact, I'd have sworn that this video was shot at the LA Sports Arena rather than the Cap Centre in Maryland.  Dokken opened and, four months later, was headlining.  The opener was Great White, who had opened for Priest on the Defenders tour.

I'll have to give Reckless a listen.  It's been at least 30 years, I'm sure.

Yeah, true story, Top Gun wanted to use Reckless in the movie, but they didn't want to take it off the album.

When the movie became a hit, they learned their lesson, and for the next album they covered Johnny B. Goode which ended up in a movie that......... everyone quickly forgot about. Priest and movies wasn't meant to be evidently  :D

Johnny B. Good (no "e" at the end) was an Anthony Michael Hall movie that, according to Wikipedia, "was a box office bomb.  It also received negative reviews. At review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, as of April 2020, Johnny Be Good had a 0% rating, based on 15 reviews, with an average score of 2.33/10.  On Metacritic the film has a weighted average score of 10 out of 100, based on 8 critics, indicating 'Overwhelming dislike.'"   :lol

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1666 on: May 27, 2021, 03:54:30 PM »
Im ripping Firepower onto my Brennan 2   as I type this
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1667 on: May 27, 2021, 03:58:30 PM »
And it could have became a true classic, had they offered the song for a movie, something about pilots flying, a guy named Tom was involved or whatever, it's not that the movie was THAT famous anyway....

;D

When the movie became a hit, they learned their lesson, and for the next album they covered Johnny B. Good which ended up in a movie that......... everyone quickly forgot about. Priest and movies wasn't meant to be evidently  :D

Is that true? I didn't know that. I'm getting to Ram It Down, their cover of Jonny B. Goode blows chunks. And they were so clever in what songs they covered in the 70's.

Turbo is a great album and the lyrics Parental Guidance are about the PMRC who at the time where trying to censor Metal.

Turbo is a great album?? I hate to go all WildRanger on you but....that's not true! :lol
Seriously, where would you rank it? I'm interested in what you put below it.

That makes sense about the PMRC and the lyrics. Still, that's no excuse. Megadeth gave us Hook In Mouth, and Judas Priest gave us...Parental Guidance?  :facepalm:  :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1668 on: May 27, 2021, 04:04:37 PM »
I've never heard the Top Gun thing either.  I really enjoy Turbo but as I've said before, I didn't grow up as these albums came out so I could discover each album on its own merit.  Being partial to classic 80's stuff, while some of Turbo is pretty cringeworthy, I enjoy most of it.

Reckless is amazing and Lord did a great cover on the cover album they just released;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm3m6AYEvd0

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1669 on: May 27, 2021, 04:06:32 PM »
I know we're going all over the place but I've been through Stained Class again and my feelings are the same as they have always been.  I find the album pretty hit and miss and not up to the standard as the two before it.  the only songs I really enjoy are Exciter, the title track, BTROD and to a lesser extent WH, RH.  Everything else is fine, but I feel there's something missing from a lot of these tracks, it's hard to pinpoint.

Hell Bent today.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1670 on: May 27, 2021, 04:08:13 PM »
Reckless is amazing and Lord did a great cover on the cover album they just released;

Ooh..that's nice! :metal

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1671 on: May 27, 2021, 04:15:50 PM »

Ooh..that's nice! :metal

They do some of the best covers out there.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1672 on: May 27, 2021, 04:17:52 PM »
I remember buying Turbo on cassette when it came out and played it to death.
Most of the songs have stood the test of time for me, some dodgy lyrics yes, but was at Halford at rock bottom with drugs/booze.

The Top Gun thing was in Halford's book where he makes mention of it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1673 on: May 27, 2021, 04:36:20 PM »
I'm interested in Halford's autobiography. Would you recommend it?

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1674 on: May 27, 2021, 04:42:10 PM »
If your into JP and don't mind some of lurid tales of Halford's sexual experiences, it's a great book that I read almost in one go, it was that compelling.
Has some hilarious stories and also what lengths he went to hide his sexuality back in the day.
Highly recommended.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1675 on: May 27, 2021, 04:44:00 PM »
Sounds like a good read. I'm interested to hear his tale. As opposed to the the blowhard Bruce Dickinson's book.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1676 on: May 27, 2021, 04:50:53 PM »
I know we're going all over the place but I've been through Stained Class again and my feelings are the same as they have always been.  I find the album pretty hit and miss and not up to the standard as the two before it.  the only songs I really enjoy are Exciter, the title track, BTROD and to a lesser extent WH, RH.  Everything else is fine, but I feel there's something missing from a lot of these tracks, it's hard to pinpoint.

I totally get what you're saying. But Saints In Hell is heavy as shit, musically and lyrically.
Underrated track.

Fates Warning did a real nice cover of it. Ray Alder   :hefdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqMEJzhzK0M

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1677 on: May 27, 2021, 04:55:22 PM »

I totally get what you're saying. But Saints In Hell is heavy as shit, musically and lyrically.
Underrated track.

Fates Warning did a real nice cover of it. Ray Alder   :hefdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqMEJzhzK0M

Yeah, that one was almost up there, I'll need to relisten I think.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1678 on: May 27, 2021, 04:55:43 PM »
This is cool shit diving back into all these old albums too.  Fuck I love this band.  :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1679 on: May 27, 2021, 05:05:18 PM »
This is cool shit diving back into all these old albums too. 

An unofficial Judas Priest Listening Party! :metal :metal