Author Topic: THE Judas Priest thread - v. new album and tour in 2024  (Read 220371 times)

Offline emtee

Re: THE Judas Priest thread - new album and tour in 2018!!
« Reply #1435 on: May 15, 2021, 04:41:05 PM »
I'll pass on this one.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1436 on: May 15, 2021, 06:19:49 PM »
Unfortunately KK needs money.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #1437 on: May 16, 2021, 09:33:10 PM »
Been a fan since British Steel came out.  Stopped buying new CD's after Ram It Down I think.  I just never got into that new direction.  The guitars sound was so overdriven that they lost real definition and tone.  The new direction of songwriting didn't resonate with me.

So Saturday, I finally decide to listen to Firepower after watching a youtube Rig Rundown of their new guitar player.  Wow those Engl amps killer tone had me intrigued, so I pulled up Firepower in the car.  I was very impressed.  The album just felt more traditional metal, wit real defined guitar tones that allowed me to truly hear what they were playing.  It felt like they spent more time writing good metal songs instead of trying to be "faster, heavier, etc".
I actually caught myself humming songs from the album today.  I have to say, this is the first Priest album since Defenders that I really like.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1438 on: May 16, 2021, 10:21:00 PM »
Firepower was indeed a pleasant surprise.  Especially after the horrible ROS.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1439 on: May 16, 2021, 11:32:04 PM »
Firepower was indeed a pleasant surprise.  Especially after the horrible ROS.

Definitely wasn’t horrible, but Firepower was way better

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1440 on: May 17, 2021, 12:18:57 AM »
ROS was a step up from Nostradamus, but yeah - Firepower could be their best since Painkiller.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1441 on: May 17, 2021, 12:19:51 AM »
Nostradamus wins over ROS everyday of the week for me.  No competition.

« Reply #1442 on: May 17, 2021, 12:26:55 AM »

Agreed 1000%.  Nostradamus may have been far too long and bloated for its own good, but at least there was passion behind it.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1443 on: May 17, 2021, 12:42:29 AM »
I agree, I've liked Nostradamus from the day one. Redeemer felt like an unnecessary album until Firepower came out - then I realized Redeemer needed to happen in order to prepare the band for the awesomeness that is the follow-up.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1444 on: May 17, 2021, 01:13:07 AM »
With due comparisons, I consider Redeemer and Firepower their Death Magnetic / Hardwired, looking at Metallica.

Redeemer is the "ah guess we have to do a classic metal album" one.

Firepower is stars aligning and the creative spark fueling great songs, with the help of a great production and sound also.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1445 on: May 17, 2021, 05:00:32 AM »
I agree, I've liked Nostradamus from the day one. Redeemer felt like an unnecessary album until Firepower came out - then I realized Redeemer needed to happen in order to prepare the band for the awesomeness that is the follow-up.

With due comparisons, I consider Redeemer and Firepower their Death Magnetic / Hardwired, looking at Metallica.

Redeemer is the "ah guess we have to do a classic metal album" one.

Firepower is stars aligning and the creative spark fueling great songs, with the help of a great production and sound also.

Yeah, I can get on board with all of this actually.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #1446 on: May 17, 2021, 08:12:35 AM »
I liked ROS (Tears of blood totally should've been on the main album) but the production was really lacking. I would be in favor of Sneap remixing the entire album kinda like what he did with enemies of reality from Nevermore.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1447 on: May 17, 2021, 01:35:38 PM »
Been a fan since British Steel came out.  Stopped buying new CD's after Ram It Down I think.  I just never got into that new direction.  The guitars sound was so overdriven that they lost real definition and tone.  The new direction of songwriting didn't resonate with me.

So Saturday, I finally decide to listen to Firepower after watching a youtube Rig Rundown of their new guitar player.  Wow those Engl amps killer tone had me intrigued, so I pulled up Firepower in the car.  I was very impressed.  The album just felt more traditional metal, wit real defined guitar tones that allowed me to truly hear what they were playing.  It felt like they spent more time writing good metal songs instead of trying to be "faster, heavier, etc".
I actually caught myself humming songs from the album today.  I have to say, this is the first Priest album since Defenders that I really like.

Substitute "Screaming..." in for British Steel and that could be me.  I've heard the rest of the reunion stuff, but it hasn't blown me away, and I still haven't heard Firepower.  Maybe I ought to give it a go.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1448 on: May 17, 2021, 02:11:10 PM »

Substitute "Screaming..." in for British Steel and that could be me.  I've heard the rest of the reunion stuff, but it hasn't blown me away, and I still haven't heard Firepower.  Maybe I ought to give it a go.

Youve not heard Firepower? Im envious as Ive worn it out ...
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #1449 on: May 17, 2021, 02:25:10 PM »
Oh, yeah, you should drop whatever you are doing and go listen to Firepower right now.  As far as I'm concerned it's Judas Priest's best record since Stained Class and I've been a fan since Sad Wings of Destiny

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1450 on: May 17, 2021, 04:50:02 PM »
I liked ROS (Tears of blood totally should've been on the main album) but the production was really lacking. I would be in favor of Sneap remixing the entire album kinda like what he did with enemies of reality from Nevermore.

One of the worst sounding albums I think I've ever heard.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1451 on: May 17, 2021, 04:51:02 PM »
Oh, yeah, you should drop whatever you are doing and go listen to Firepower right now.  As far as I'm concerned it's Judas Priest's best record since Stained Class and I've been a fan since Sad Wings of Destiny

The Hair Nose All
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1452 on: May 17, 2021, 04:54:43 PM »
Robs voice is THE VOICE OF METAL   ,,,    Tate had his amazing run..  but Rob is KING

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1453 on: May 17, 2021, 05:10:46 PM »
Just grabbed out my copy of Firepower for the car today.  :tup

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1454 on: May 17, 2021, 05:20:40 PM »
I started listening to Firepower on YouTube. Ehh. The new song with Ripper isn't far off, but I'd rather listen to that.

I used to own every Priest album up to Nostrodamus until I realized I didnt like them enough to warrant having all their albums. I had a pretty cool box set though. It came with 3 or 4 of the remastered CDs, and I was determined to get the rest, even getting Killing Machine instead of Hell Bent for Leather. Now I only have a best of, Screaming for Vengeance and Painkiller.

I don't plan on listening to any more of Firepower.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1455 on: May 17, 2021, 06:12:12 PM »
The production on Firepower is bloody wonderful.  Sounds incredible.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1456 on: May 17, 2021, 06:32:52 PM »
I spun it at work today as evidenced in the album thread!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1457 on: May 17, 2021, 09:11:58 PM »
I really like Never the Heroes.  The simplicity of that riff in relation to how amazing and powerful it is is mind blowing, yet there's nothing generic about it.

Same goes with the simple, effective riffing on Rising From Ruins.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1458 on: May 18, 2021, 05:18:27 AM »
Traitors Gate is by far the greatest song on the album.  It's amazing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1459 on: May 18, 2021, 05:42:48 AM »

:metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1460 on: May 18, 2021, 06:06:19 AM »
If memory serves correct it was similar for me ..............Rising From Ruin, Traitors Gate and add in No Surrender and they were my go to songs.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1461 on: May 18, 2021, 07:03:57 AM »
It's been a while since I gave it a listen now, but I remember Spectre being a big favourite of mine.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1462 on: May 18, 2021, 08:20:58 AM »
Spectre and Never the heroes are easily my favorites. I also love the title track, Flamethrower, Lightning strikes and No surrender.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #1463 on: May 18, 2021, 10:47:46 AM »
I just looooove that guitar tone.  Makes me want to go buy an Engl.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1464 on: May 18, 2021, 12:36:24 PM »

a fav for sure    I love every song on it 

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #1465 on: May 18, 2021, 12:44:12 PM »
Still can't believe Judas Priest had an album this good left in them.    When I heard they were doing another one my initial reaction to the news was somewhere between  :\  and  :|

But when I first heard it my reaction was more along the lines of  :metal :eek :metal :eek :metal :eek

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1466 on: May 18, 2021, 01:04:44 PM »
Also shoutout for that little fun kickass song that is No Surrender. So catchy and punchy and memorable. Had it been released in the '80s, it would have been a minor Breaking the Law.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1467 on: May 18, 2021, 01:48:59 PM »
Still can't believe Judas Priest had an album this good left in them.    When I heard they were doing another one my initial reaction to the news was somewhere between  :\  and  :|

But when I first heard it my reaction was more along the lines of  :metal :eek :metal :eek :metal :eek

Totally agree   I honestly thought they were finished after Defenders!!!!!   I remember thinking this is the end...  35 years later they keep rolling along

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1468 on: May 18, 2021, 01:49:33 PM »
Also shoutout for that little fun kickass song that is No Surrender. So catchy and punchy and memorable. Had it been released in the '80s, it would have been a minor Breaking the Law.

Love it   

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1469 on: May 18, 2021, 02:32:05 PM »
If memory serves correct it was similar for me ..............Rising From Ruin, Traitors Gate and add in No Surrender and they were my go to songs.

Rising is a close second place.