Author Topic: THE Judas Priest thread - v. new album and tour in 2024  (Read 220890 times)

Offline Madman Shepherd

Re: THE Judas Priest thread - new album and tour in 2018!!
« Reply #1295 on: February 18, 2020, 05:55:54 PM »
I'm one of the most forgiving people when it comes to former unappreciated members of bands that are relying on what name recognition they have to keep some semblance of a career, but I'm just not feeling this at all.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1296 on: February 18, 2020, 06:08:16 PM »
Go get 'em! :tup   :lol

I'm here and tearning shit up!

nah, I'm doing fuck all at the moment.

Firepower was sooooo good... I gotta say it will be tough to top it, it has it all. 
such a talented band and Robs voice is pure magic always and forever

That's the one thing that makes this whole thing a little tough for them.  If this happened after ROS, then I reckon that could come up with something to kick the shit out of it, but I don't see them doing anything near Firepower quality.  That's why I said, it needs to be a new seperate beast.  If they do a generic Priest rehash, next to Firepower, it will look worse than what it is.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1297 on: February 18, 2020, 06:08:55 PM »
I'm one of the most forgiving people when it comes to former unappreciated members of bands that are relying on what name recognition they have to keep some semblance of a career, but I'm just not feeling this at all.

Yeah I can see people being bitter about the name, but I couldn't really give a fuck, it's just a name really.  If the music is good, whatever.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1298 on: February 18, 2020, 06:27:49 PM »

Same here.  Ripper Owens can sing, but sounds like a poor man's Rob Halford.  It is sad to see that Judas Priest is another aging, classic band that will now basically have two touring factions.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1299 on: February 18, 2020, 06:37:44 PM »

Same here.  Ripper Owens can sing, but sounds like a poor man's Rob Halford.  It is sad to see that Judas Priest is another aging, classic band that will now basically have two touring factions.

agreed
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1300 on: February 18, 2020, 06:44:55 PM »

I agree totally with this too.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1301 on: February 18, 2020, 07:10:12 PM »
I don't see Ripper as a "poor man's Halford" at all.   Live Meltdown '98 is the best Judas Priest Live album ever recorded.   

Ya...I said it.  Fight me.    :P :hat :coolio
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1302 on: February 18, 2020, 07:42:08 PM »
KK, Tim and Les officially making a band together and writing new material.  It's called KK's Priest.  The name won't go down well but I'm super excited to hear some material.

DUMB!

I never bought the two Ripper albums, but what I did hear I didn't like.

According to his Wikipedia article, Binks has done a few random thing over the last 40 years, most recently:  "During 2017 and 2018, he performed classic Judas Priest songs live with a new band called Les Binks' Priesthood."  Are you fucking kidding me???
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1303 on: February 18, 2020, 07:51:00 PM »
Yeah because Dave Holland's.. um.. Priesthood worked out so well.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1304 on: February 18, 2020, 07:59:52 PM »
Seems to me they've got as much Priest DNA as Rob's version now. And quite honestly, some better members. And if Ripper is a poor man's Rob Halford, what does that make Rob Halford? As fond as I am of the man he hasn't been able to cut it for years. I've skipped the last four or five tours because I find it too depressing. I'd probably go to see this, though.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1305 on: February 18, 2020, 08:00:54 PM »
Don't get me started on that bullshit. I couldn't stand Dave Holland, but God damn that man got screwed over.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1306 on: February 18, 2020, 08:06:12 PM »
I am not the biggest JP fan but dig some of their stuff. I have only heard 1-2 Ripper songs from the band, but he sounded fine.

However, I am a big fan of Ripper from IE and there's no way Halford would be able to sing some of those songs as well as Ripper. The dude sounds a lot like Halford but he has an amazing voice.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1307 on: February 18, 2020, 08:07:55 PM »
Don't get me started on that bullshit. I couldn't stand Dave Holland, but God damn that man got screwed over.

Oh, is that right?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1308 on: February 18, 2020, 08:18:08 PM »

Oh, is that right?
Because the details of the allegations were so sordid, and kind of jibed with his and Priest's image, people immediately locked in on him as a child molester. He wasn't, the details were terribly misrepresented, and the crime he was convicted of wasn't even really a crime. Yeah, he got screwed over.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1309 on: February 18, 2020, 08:22:03 PM »
Oh OK. I'll have to investigate.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1310 on: February 19, 2020, 01:00:52 AM »
Well, at least he didn't name his band "Judas Priest of Fire".
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1311 on: February 19, 2020, 01:13:39 AM »
The Nightcrawling Priest Jugulators
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1312 on: February 19, 2020, 02:54:54 AM »
I am certainly interested , although from what I have seen of Ripper lately he seems to have lost a lot with his vocals.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1313 on: February 19, 2020, 04:28:38 AM »
I am certainly interested , although from what I have seen of Ripper lately he seems to have lost a lot with his vocals.

Crazy to think my first concert was seeing this guy with Priest was over 20 years ago now.  He was incredible.  Definitely lost a lot over the years but I also think it could be an effort thing.  Maybe if he really loved and was doing something more solid and permanent and a bit more successful, who knows it may reflect in his vocals.  Probably not even close but must be hard doing hslf assed projects after being ditched from Priest then IE.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1314 on: February 19, 2020, 05:02:55 AM »
He's been screaming like a godly muthafucka throughout his 20s and 30s, to be honest I'm even surprised he didn't ran out of vocal stamina even before Priest parted ways with him. The guy is a monster.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1315 on: February 19, 2020, 01:42:29 PM »
He's been screaming like a godly muthafucka throughout his 20s and 30s, to be honest I'm even surprised he didn't ran out of vocal stamina even before Priest parted ways with him. The guy is a monster.

Yeah, what he was able to do live with Priest was astonishing.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1316 on: February 19, 2020, 01:48:34 PM »
His performance on 98 Live Meltdown is spectacular. As far as current performances, I’m going to lean more towards effort. Most of the shows he has played in the last ten years have been small bars. I watched a performance of him singing Cathedral Spires and it looked like it was in a cafe. So he might not be putting in the full effort. He sounded really good on the clips with that last KK show, so maybe this band will rejuvenate both Ripper and KK

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1317 on: February 19, 2020, 02:11:04 PM »
His performance on 98 Live Meltdown is spectacular. As far as current performances, I’m going to lean more towards effort. Most of the shows he has played in the last ten years have been small bars. I watched a performance of him singing Cathedral Spires and it looked like it was in a cafe. So he might not be putting in the full effort. He sounded really good on the clips with that last KK show, so maybe this band will rejuvenate both Ripper and KK
I only watched Riding on the Wind from the recent gigs, but he sounded great, and that's entirely in a high register. Halford actually sounds alright singing it now, but compared to Ripper it's noticeably very thin. Ripper seemed to have some power when he was singing it. 
E.F. Benson

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1318 on: February 19, 2020, 02:24:27 PM »
I liked the version of "Between the Hammer and the Anvil", but all clips sounded great.  Hopefully this band can have a bit of staying power, I think Ripper was in three bands last year that were pretty much over as soon as they started- 3 Tremors, Spirits of Fire and New Revenge.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1319 on: February 19, 2020, 02:34:59 PM »
I liked the version of "Between the Hammer and the Anvil", but all clips sounded great.  Hopefully this band can have a bit of staying power, I think Ripper was in three bands last year that were pretty much over as soon as they started- 3 Tremors, Spirits of Fire and New Revenge.

New Revenge?  I haven't even heard of that one.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1320 on: February 19, 2020, 02:35:41 PM »

New Revenge?  I haven't even heard of that one.

Tell me what you think but I didn't care for it at all

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1321 on: February 19, 2020, 03:22:40 PM »

Speaking of Cathedral Spires, a big draw for this band could be playing that song and more generally stuff that Priest never does. Sure, they've rotated quite a bit the catalogue, they had their fair share of deep cuts since Halford rejoined, but if they play live they should go even further and play forgotten stuff like Spires, rather than just go all down the way of Painkiller / Breaking the Law / You've Got Another Thing Coming / Living After Midnight.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1322 on: February 19, 2020, 03:25:19 PM »

Speaking of Cathedral Spires, a big draw for this band could be playing that song and more generally stuff that Priest never does. Sure, they've rotated quite a bit the catalogue, they had their fair share of deep cuts since Halford rejoined, but if they play live they should go even further and play forgotten stuff like Spires, rather than just go all down the way of Painkiller / Breaking the Law / You've Got Another Thing Coming / Living After Midnight.

That's a good idea, could be a cool drawing card bringing out the super deep cuts.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1323 on: February 19, 2020, 03:34:32 PM »
Presumably they'd be sticking with the songs they had writing credits for, so that limits them a fair amount. Downing wasn't a prolific writer. Binks only had one contribution (though it was Realms). Complicating things further, Downing sold his rights away a few years ago to pay the bills. While they can probably play anything they damn well please, there could well be some royalties issues.
E.F. Benson

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1324 on: February 19, 2020, 04:26:49 PM »
Presumably they'd be sticking with the songs they had writing credits for, so that limits them a fair amount. Downing wasn't a prolific writer. Binks only had one contribution (though it was Realms). Complicating things further, Downing sold his rights away a few years ago to pay the bills. While they can probably play anything they damn well please, there could well be some royalties issues.

Whether or not he was prolific, Dowing is a credited writer on every Priest song from British Steel through Jugulator (except for Take These Chains and Johnny B. Goode) and Angel and Nostradamus, as well as a decent handful of material from the other albums, so it's not like that leaves the cupboard bare.  As far as Downing's sale of his publishing rights, that just means he won't receive royalties for any of the performances, which isn't a hindrance.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1325 on: February 19, 2020, 04:57:50 PM »

Whether or not he was prolific, Dowing is a credited writer on every Priest song from British Steel through Jugulator (except for Take These Chains and Johnny B. Goode) and Angel and Nostradamus, as well as a decent handful of material from the other albums, so it's not like that leaves the cupboard bare.  As far as Downing's sale of his publishing rights, that just means he won't receive royalties for any of the performances, which isn't a hindrance.
:lol Since we were talking about old songs we'd like to see them go back and play, I only looked at Sad Wings - Stained Class, and assumed those were indicative. I stopped before British Steel as there's only one song I'd want to hear from it.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1326 on: February 19, 2020, 06:14:19 PM »
A friend who saw Priest a bunch in the 80's saw them last year and swore Halford sounded close to as good as he did back in the day. I am skeptical, to say the least.

Downing should have called his band KK's Lawbreakers.  Or he could have given Halford the middle finger and called it KK's Metal Gods.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1327 on: February 19, 2020, 06:47:30 PM »
Just listened to the studio version of Cathedral Spires for the first time in a long long time.  Seriously does that song kick ass or what?

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1328 on: February 19, 2020, 08:20:13 PM »
A friend who saw Priest a bunch in the 80's saw them last year and swore Halford sounded close to as good as he did back in the day. I am skeptical, to say the least.

Downing should have called his band KK's Lawbreakers.  Or he could have given Halford the middle finger and called it KK's Metal Gods.

Saw them on Hellbent tour and all tours till defenders and many tours after ,Robs not lost that much , and to me Unleashed in the East in peak but Robs not lost much and thats amazing
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1329 on: February 19, 2020, 08:20:45 PM »

I haven't seen Priest for a few years but Halford miraculously had a bit of a renaissance with his singing. Seriously sounded better than he had in a while. Not late 70s good but for a guy nearing 70, pretty damn good!