Author Topic: THE Judas Priest thread - v. new album and tour in 2024  (Read 220101 times)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Re: THE Judas Priest thread
« Reply #735 on: August 12, 2016, 05:07:12 AM »
I don't think it's a bad album. I just think it's a good album sandwiched between their two masterpieces. None of it really works for me on the level that Sad Wings or Stained Class does.

I basically agree with this, though Sinner is the song that comes closest. I really love that song, it has one of KK's best solos ever imo, and the energy is just amazing.

That said, nothing Sin After Sin comes close to Victim of Changes, Dreamer Deceiver, Exciter or Beyond the Realms of Death.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #736 on: August 12, 2016, 10:19:58 AM »
Love "Invader".   Actually, all of side one is killer. 

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #737 on: August 13, 2016, 03:33:24 AM »
I don't think it's a bad album. I just think it's a good album sandwiched between their two masterpieces. None of it really works for me on the level that Sad Wings or Stained Class does.

I basically agree with this, though Sinner is the song that comes closest. I really love that song, it has one of KK's best solos ever imo, and the energy is just amazing.

That said, nothing Sin After Sin comes close to Victim of Changes, Dreamer Deceiver, Exciter or Beyond the Realms of Death.

Dissident Aggressor stands with any song they've ever wrote, in my opinion.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Mladen

« Reply #738 on: August 13, 2016, 04:47:45 AM »
Here's a controversial opinion - I'd rather play Sin after sin than Sad wings or Stained class. Sinner,  Call for the priest, Diamonds and rust, Last rose of the summer, Dissident aggressor - five fantastic songs. And Starbreaker is pretty good as well.

What drags the other two albums for me is a completely subjective thing. I never went crazy about songs like Victim of changes, Beyond the realms of death, Saints in hell and especially Dream deceiver, I consider them slightly overrated. If we're talking about longer, more epic early Judas Priest stuff, I'd take Run of the mill over those any day.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #739 on: August 13, 2016, 04:52:07 AM »
Well, given that Diamonds and Rust is a cover - a great cover, but still - I don't count it.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #740 on: August 13, 2016, 05:47:04 AM »
Sin After Sin is really good, but it dips in the middle.  Sinner and Dissident Aggressor are definitely two of their best tunes, however. :metal

Mladen, while not in my top tier of Priest songs, Run of the Mill is definitely pretty great. :tup :tup

Offline Imaginos

« Reply #741 on: August 13, 2016, 09:01:30 AM »
I disagree about the dip in quality in the middle of Sin After Sin. I'll admit Last Rose of Summer, while not a horrible song, is still not one of their best, but Call for the Priest and Raw Deal are two of my favorite tracks on the album. I too would definitely take this album over the two surrounding it, or any other Priest album for that matter.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #742 on: August 13, 2016, 09:18:28 AM »
Raw Deal is the only low moment on Sin After Sin. The rest of the album is really strong and greater than the previous or following albums. Call For the Priest has some really great moments. I especially love the twin guitar bridge.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #743 on: August 14, 2016, 04:22:40 AM »
Here's a controversial opinion - I'd rather play Sin after sin than Sad wings or Stained class.

I'd probably agree with this.  Definitely Stained Class at least.  It's a great album, but to be honest, I never understood the love it got.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #744 on: October 24, 2017, 05:16:58 AM »
Bumping this for a bit of info - their upcoming album is titled 'Firepower' and will be released in early 2018.

Oh yeah, and some NA tour dates.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/judas-priest-to-release-firepower-album-north-american-tour-announced/
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #745 on: October 24, 2017, 05:19:55 AM »
Freaky, just posted the new album name in the hard rock thread.

Anyway, I'll say it again, I really like the album title and is a classic, old school Priest title.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #746 on: October 24, 2017, 05:53:33 AM »
I think they could have done better than Firepower.  :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #747 on: October 24, 2017, 06:04:07 AM »
Rumour is that KK is going to make a comeback with KK Downing's Power of Fire.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #748 on: October 24, 2017, 06:05:39 AM »
Cool! I hope we'll get a tracklist and cover artwork soon.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #749 on: October 24, 2017, 08:52:52 AM »
Redeemer was a solid album but some songs sounded a bit flat production wise. Songs like march of the damned while I still like it could've had a bit more of a punch to it.

I hope firepower is better from a production standpoint but im sure the material will be solid regardless.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #750 on: October 24, 2017, 08:55:23 AM »
The spring american tour keeps alive the rumor about a tour with Iron Maiden (and Anthrax) in the summer  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #751 on: October 24, 2017, 09:02:08 AM »
The spring american tour keeps alive the rumor about a tour with Iron Maiden (and Anthrax) in the summer  :metal

WOW!! Haven't heard that rumor!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #752 on: October 24, 2017, 09:18:44 AM »
Saw it discussed at other forums more than once. Someone who is acknowledged as an insider of the promoter world and that strongly hinted that indeed there will be an european Maiden summer tour last summer, didn't deny the package, or if he did, I missed if that happened. Crossing fingers!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #753 on: October 24, 2017, 02:34:57 PM »
Redeemer was a solid album but some songs sounded a bit flat production wise. Songs like march of the damned while I still like it could've had a bit more of a punch to it.

I hope firepower is better from a production standpoint but im sure the material will be solid regardless.

The production killed it for me.  Some of the worst production I've ever heard.  Andy Sneap doing this one so I'm sure it will sound amazing.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #754 on: October 24, 2017, 03:23:15 PM »

WOW!! Haven't heard that rumor!

What does that look like?   Maiden sold out arenas without an issue, as a headliner.   I don't see them opening for Priest at this point.  Priest opening for Maiden?    I'd go see that in a heartbeat (Cram!   Keep your membership active!!!), but is that really happening? 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #755 on: October 24, 2017, 03:27:12 PM »
Iron Maiden most likely will tour Europe next summer... so if Judas Priest are on the bill, they'll come over after doing the US in the spring. Sorry folks on the other side of the pond!

(And yeah, if that should ever happen, Iron Maiden will be headliners, or at the very least, close the night after Priest did their full set)

Offline abydos

• DT.net
Re: THE Judas Priest thread - new album and tour in 2018!!
« Reply #756 on: October 26, 2017, 06:20:06 AM »
I was under the impression that they did something similar to a farewell tour few years ago?

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #757 on: October 26, 2017, 06:55:09 AM »
I was under the impression that they did something similar to a farewell tour few years ago?

Yep. That's the tour I saw them on.

It started out as a retirement tour. Then it turned into a retirement from big world tours tour. Then after that they made another album and went on a big world tour lol.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #758 on: October 26, 2017, 06:57:10 AM »
Actually they didn't even went back on their words.

"This is the farewell tour!"

[A couple of years pass]

"Hey guys, we're doing another album and tour"

;D

BTW - That "Epitaph" tour was glorious. Probably their best show I've seen  :metal

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #759 on: October 26, 2017, 07:03:07 AM »
Actually they didn't even went back on their words.

"This is the farewell tour!"

[A couple of years pass]

"Hey guys, we're doing another album and tour"

;D

BTW - That "Epitaph" tour was glorious. Probably their best show I've seen  :metal

It was the first concert I ever went to. Awesome 2 and a half hour set with most of my favorite songs.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Mladen

« Reply #760 on: October 26, 2017, 07:27:03 AM »
That was a fantastic concert. I never thought I'd see Priest again, but then they delivered another fine show two years ago. And now there's a chance to catch them live again, which is fantastic.  :metal

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #761 on: October 26, 2017, 08:10:54 AM »
That Farewell Tour in 2014 was the end for me. They've been through a couple of times since then, and I find the whole thing too depressing to support. Watching Rob struggle (really struggle) and the rest of the band go through the motions isn't how I want to remember them. Kenny was right to quit when he did.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #762 on: October 26, 2017, 09:34:18 AM »
That Farewell Tour in 2014 was the end for me. They've been through a couple of times since then, and I find the whole thing too depressing to support. Watching Rob struggle (really struggle) and the rest of the band go through the motions isn't how I want to remember them. Kenny was right to quit when he did.

For all the shows I've seen I've only seen them once, and then it was back in the day (Screaming... tour).   I don't know that I want to see them now, I really don't.   Look, I have nothing bad to say about any of them  - and I REALLY liked both Nostradamus and the newest one - but they're a band that are really of a time for me.  I think I'd rather have my memories of that time when I was listening to Screaming... after just having gotten British Steel, Stained Class and Point of Entry (I love that album, by the way).  I never really embraced the whole "metal god" thing, it was a little cartoony for me, and if they can't really do it justice, it's not really the same.   

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #763 on: October 26, 2017, 09:50:41 AM »
Some years ago, just after Halford rejoined or short after, they came here and Queensryche was the opening act. I walked out of the stadium after QR as I didn't want to hear Halford not in his prime. Getting him back was financially wise but in terms of longevity of the band and their live performance not so much. At the time I thought they did it for the cash grab before they retire. I wish I was right - nothing I've heard since Halford's return sounds good nor fresh to me. And most of the live stuff is just sad.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #764 on: October 26, 2017, 12:37:11 PM »
Trivial question: since Rob Halford changes clothes on stage (and I want to wear basically all of them) the same frequency of Lady Gaga or Madonna, do you think in the crew there's a "wardrobe guy" for him? I can totally imagine someone being backstage with the setlist and the order of the clothes, ready to help him to take away the previous one and put the next one  ;D

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #765 on: October 26, 2017, 02:12:27 PM »
Trivial question: since Rob Halford changes clothes on stage (and I want to wear basically all of them) the same frequency of Lady Gaga or Madonna, do you think in the crew there's a "wardrobe guy" for him? I can totally imagine someone being backstage with the setlist and the order of the clothes, ready to help him to take away the previous one and put the next one  ;D
He changes clothes now? Never noticed. However, I think all touring acts have somebody in charge of that. Somebody has to make sure laundry gets done and their stage clothes are in the right place. Particularly since so many bands tend to wear the same thing each night now.

Some years ago, just after Halford rejoined or short after, they came here and Queensryche was the opening act. I walked out of the stadium after QR as I didn't want to hear Halford not in his prime. Getting him back was financially wise but in terms of longevity of the band and their live performance not so much. At the time I thought they did it for the cash grab before they retire. I wish I was right - nothing I've heard since Halford's return sounds good nor fresh to me. And most of the live stuff is just sad.
That was actually an excellent show. Rob wasn't the same as he was in 84, of course, but he was still perfectly good. Belted out Painkiller like he was trying to summon the antichrist. It started going downhill pretty fast, though.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #766 on: October 26, 2017, 02:32:51 PM »
He wears like 10 different trench coats for 16 songs of setlist. That's why I was picturing a wardrobe guy with all the clothes in setlist order just to help him out, justl ike there's a guitar tech with the guitars lined up according to the songs.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #767 on: October 26, 2017, 05:36:51 PM »

Yep. That's the tour I saw them on.

It started out as a retirement tour. Then it turned into a retirement from big world tours tour. Then after that they made another album and went on a big world tour lol.

A friend of mine saw The Who on their farewell tour...in 1982. :eek :eek :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #768 on: October 26, 2017, 05:39:48 PM »
I think halford sounds pretty damn good for his age. He pretty much knocked it out of the park when i saw them. And i really enjoyed the live CD they put out last year.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #769 on: October 26, 2017, 06:29:36 PM »
I thought Rob did an excellent job when I saw them two years ago.  And Redeemer of Souls was a fantastic album.  I figured that might have been the last album from the band, so this is just a big bonus that we are getting another one.